All things EARTH...

Laurie! That was the funniest post...when I saw it, it made me laugh.

Yes...I'm going with the zipper. A side zipper to make it easier to get on and off.

This has been a challenging thing for me to do. I'm totally winging it! Not using any patterns and pretty much just cutting the skirt up and hoping that it all works out in the end. I'm doing it thoughtfully, but it is so unplanned!

I like the new shape I've made on the bodice. But I made the length of the arm holes and neck bigger so I need extra fabric to trim those raw edges, which I think I have from what I've cut off the skirt. I'm hopeful that there will be enough extra to make a least one pocket...doesn't have to be a big pocket...just deep enough for my SeaPass card!

This process has not turned me off to this concept of redesigning clothes...but it has shed light on the difficulties of alteration/repurposing. I can say emphatically that for repurposing? the BIGGER the original garment the BETTER. The more fabric you have to work with, the more options you have.

Sheds light on some Project Runway challenges I have seen over the years, for sure...

The Kiko Milano nail polish totally stood up to yesterday's housework! I'm very pleased with the performance of this polish...especially with it being so CHEAP! I wish I had more now...I think it holds up better than OPI. Still looks great after cleaning 4 bathrooms, the kitchen, dishwashing, laundry, and bed making! In addition to regular wear and tear...

I was talking nail polish with my hairdresser yesterday...and she told me about an OPI color (I discovered it's from 2011) called "Uh oh! Roll down the window." :D OMG...So funny. It's a kind of baby p**p green...

I'm lovin' today's TVF! She used a HOODIE!

Ever since discovering my "Soft" self...I've been so interested in more of the lighter neutrals. It's just fortuitous that most of my recent bottom purchases were all in a pale khaki neutral shade.

Finally decided on what my men are going to wear to formal night. I've ordered them Guayabera shirts. I ordered long-sleeved ones. If you don't know, they are traditional Mexican wedding shirts. They have details on them that show they are made to be worn untucked.

You know...it's a real dilemma to figure out a toned down casual elegant look for a guy! I've come to really dislike the tie but no coat look...so I don't go for that.

I remembered that last year, there was the most gorgeous couple. OMG. They both had beautiful, deep dark mahogany skin...and she was wearing a lovely white maxi-sundress. It was a dress up or dress down kind of dress, but not really formal. And he was wearing a short sleeved Guayabera shirt, I think it was a turquoise color? with white linen pants. They were stunning. And they looked SO appropriate for formal night on a cruise ship!

A recent post on a different thread helped me figure out the name Guayabera...and I found some reasonably priced ones by Cubavera on Amazon.

I think it's all in how you wear something...how neat/styled your hair is. How strong your posture. How confidence radiates from you...that is what brings a look up or down.

So now formal is finalized in my mind. I think we'll look great and totally appropriate for a Bahama cruise formal night.

I made my undercut even bigger yesterday! I just love it. It's the sneaky way to get the hair off my neck (why I would wear a pony tail all the time with long hair) and yet, still have hair around my face (unlike when wearing a pony tail.)

I'd love to figure out a look for formal night...I'm wondering if more sleek hair...ala the Addicted the Love video girls would be interesting. I never do that. I'll have on lovely gold hoops...

And if I do a dramatic eye...or maybe just slick one side?

Will have to play with that...

I think I was imagining that stretchy kind of smocking, so I can see how a zipper would be necessary if it wasn't. Duh.

Anita, I love your idea for your guys for formal night.

I went to Ulta yesterday and got the polish Melody recommended, Vinylux. I'm wearing Svelte Suede on my fingers, and I bought Masquerade for my toes when fall gets here -- possibly next week, but who knows??? I'm currently wearing OPI on my toes, My Paprika is Hotter Than Yours. I had the most amazing pedicure this week while my friend was here from Chicago. We had a girl day at the nail salon. It made me realize that I should do that more often!

I think this is really cute:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/blouses/twilight-medallion-shirt/10307.html

And I like this a lot, but it isn't very New York-ish:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/outerwear/printed-faux-leather-jacket/71014.html

I visited Nordstrom Rack today. I can go through that store in 1/4 the time I used to now, just focusing on color. So great! I wanted this top in plum, but it just didn't work on me and I couldn't figure out why. I ended up with the navy/rust/taupe one, partly because it will fit into my work wardrobe so well. It's not an earth blue, but with the other colors its a really good cheat for me:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1300754/pleione-cap-sleeve-pleat-back-blouse?color=PLM+FCH+BT&size=L&cm_mmc=feeds-_-adlucent-_-google-_-pla&utm_source=feeds&utm_medium=adlucent&utm_content=google&utm_campaign=pla&sid=545650&kwid=productads-plaid%5E91877075690-sku%5E7893524-adType%5EPLA-device%5Ec-adid%5E60872929237

I got another one in a purple squiggle pattern, but I can't find a photo on the website.

I love the Pleione tops. I think I could hone my work wardrobe down to just those and be perfectly happy. Seriously thinking about that.

I'm hopeful that there will be enough extra to make a least one pocket...doesn't have to be a big pocket...just deep enough for my SeaPass card!

Anita, if you haven't already made your pocket attempt, do you have a pocket-sized piece of another coordinating material or even plain pre-washed cotton? The pocket shouldn't show much and you'd have more remaining material to make the armhole and neck facings. If cotton has been pre-washed and dried, it won't shrink as much during subsequent washes. Just a thought.

SO.

I didn't want to be home alone today. Just in a mood. I don't think it was the alone part...I think it was the home part...just wanted to be OUT.

I had coffee with the Ladies and then I decided I was up for the Goodwill challenge. You have to be in the mood to search through those racks...it's such a crap shoot.

But I scored. Oh my, did I score.

I'm very particular about what I will buy second hand. For instance, I won't by Target brands second hand. I go for things that are more expensive. I mean, half the time, you can get a Target shirt for the cost of a shirt at Goodwill.

SO.

I found a shirt that isn't really Earth. But I bought it anyway. It's a Chico's Travelers short sleeved shirt with some beaded details. And OMG. It's a white. Not optic white...but white.

Anyway...I was thinking it might be a really fun pairing with my lace skirt.

What do you think of not totally white paired with off-white/ivory? I think I like it:

P1100609_zpsdht6cfra.jpg

I know it's white...but. IDK. I was thinking how fun it would be to wear this outfit for formal night and to have my men be wearing their traditional Mexican wedding shirts... It's like theme night!

I wish I have more of a waist...but anyway...here's the bead detail. Very pearly with some crystals:

P1100618_zpsxlxme61t.jpg

Here you can see how the beads give a bit of an ivory look to the top of the shirt that I think coordinates well with the skirt:

P1100617_zpsllzmwwou.jpg

What do ya'll think?

I also found a perfectly wonderful Soft Autumn tank. I would call it Butterscotch sparkle. It's a Charter Club brand with a warm metallic thread woven in the material. I love it:

P1100615_zpsyooqvp9i.jpg

What do you think of my necklace? This was my Grandmother's. I was so excited when Margaret posted some jewelry long ago that was Aurora Borealis because that is what I am pretty sure this necklace is. I love the necklace but don't really know what to wear it with?

P1100614_zpspjvszun5.jpg

Do you think it would be too much to wear that necklace with the white beaded shirt? I also have another necklace that is a 2 strand with pearls and silver and crystal from my Grandmother... It's choker like...really tight. And unfortunately the matching bracelet string broke...and I haven't had that fixed yet...

Opinions?

I still really like the other shirt with my skirt too.

I'm working myself into a dilemma with too many things that work to make up my mind...

I mean...I KNOW that the butterscotch tank looks so much better...but the other shirt is just kind of fun, KWIM? I know that I don't look quite as good...but...I still like it. It almost looks like a different time of day because my skin looks so different between those two pictures. White isn't my color so much...

Definitely need some lip color!

BTW...these brown t-strap sandals are likely to be the ones that I would wear...

Oh! I also have several pearl necklaces that I could wear with the white...

Thoughts?

Edited by Anita Latte

I have ordered a couple things from the new Coldwater Creek. I'm leery of their t-shirts since those were definitely lacking quality at the end there. They had gotten so lightweight and almost sheer at times, which was really disappointing. I found that I bought fewer and fewer things there for the last 18 months or so.

I ordered a dress which was an exact copy of one I had had before I lost weight. I was not happy with the fit and the fabric was not as nice, it didn't have the heft and drape of the original, so it went back. I also got a long sleeved scoop neck knit turquoise top, which I kept, though now I'm thinking I'd like to tea stain it to tone it down. That I really like, and I think the quality and fit meets what I experienced with the original CC.

I'm hoping that they bring back the pants that I always bought for work. I'm also hoping that they up their game with the jewelry, since I got some really nice elegant things there before, but I think their current selections aren't very interesting, and many are a little too much on the cute side for me.

Anita, I totally see what you mean with the beading on the white shirt reading ivory. That is a very interesting match!

I personally find it hard to pair a necklace with a beaded top. It can be either too matchy matchy, or too much contrast. I almost always go with a statement earring instead. IMO pearls would be a very conventional look for that outfit, which to me asks for a more creative choice in keeping with the spirit of the pairing.

I love that butterscotch top with the crystals. LOVE. That is such a good color for you.

Edited by MJC
typos :(

Anita, I keep giggling about that post I made. It's so funny to look back at something after the fact!

I was on my way to the gym and my husband was driving. We are super close, but it isn't really something we would walk to so I was in a hurry, lol.

First, the butterscotch tank. That color is so YOU. It is such a wonderful soft earth color and it just works so well on you. I like the necklace you paired, because it brings the outfit together. Your skirt is light in color, and this carries over some of the light tones. I also think pearls would work too. Sometimes, I go for sentimental because when you feel good, it shows. You know what I mean? If I was wearing my grandmother's necklace, I'd be thinking about that and that happiness would show.

I think that the white shirt does come off as ivory, just lighter than the skirt. The skirt has a lot of warmth to it. I think the sparkly sequined top section is great for formal night, and I bet it would look great with what the guys are wearing. But the butterscotch is definitely my favorite!

I was thinking about your dress re-do. I mentioned previously that I used to do that. Remember when mandarin collars were big? I remember taking off the collar of shirts, so that I was leaving a section that looked like a mandarin color. I had some shirts that were kind of loose with gathers near the shoulders, and I put in pleats because they were button down shirts. Things like that.

What is hard for me these days is the way things are lined. That is a good thing, but when you have to take something in, it can be a pain. I also run short on time so I tend to do simple things, and I bring other things to a tailor that I like and trust, especially if it something that should be done on a serger. That is something I want to learn to use someday...a Serger.

I have 6 of my favorite dresses at the tailor right now. My daughter was with me, and she said a few times, "Mom, if you're going to alter them, do them right. Yes, you can take it in a little there, but look at the rest of the dress!" So, they are getting a lot of adjustments. I was scared stiff to do them myself.

I had some that were simple that I did myself, about 5 dresses so far. I have two to finish up. I did get rid of a few that high necklines, because I thought it would be a lot of work to adjust something that still wouldn't be right. It seemed to make more sense to let someone else get something out of them so they went to the Rescue Mission.

Love the butterscotch top with the lace skirt. The white beaded top doesn't do anything for me, needs color by your face / don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful top, but you need some color oomph / maybe lipstick would work.

Margaret, I like that shirt from Nordstrom Rack. We are supposed to be getting one of those this month at our local mall. I have some trouble with that style top. The prints are so pretty though.

The jacket from Coldwater Creek would be just the kind of thing I would wear now. Your comment about it not being New Yorkish got me thinking a lot. I guess I don't always give it thought, but in the fall, I really go for things like that. I sometimes forget that you are in the heart of the city a lot.

I'm thinking about my pearl necklace now, based on Anita's comment. You know, I have a necklace that I contemplated wearing with the burgundy shirt if I didn't do the layers. It's a necklace that intermixes gold chains with pearls, and has that layered type of look. I think it really looks neat with the shirt, bu I also feel that it needed a good dose of warmth. I actually tried a lot of different necklace combos with that and I loved the different impressions from each. I went with the grouping I did because some of the gold was antique like, and there were touches of gold crystal like stones in two of he necklaces. Then the one has a wood look heart that just made the outfit look more eclectic without being odd.

I have the extended forecast for two days of my trip right now. High of 71 each day, and low of 50. Hm...

Of course, that may change. My evening outfits are good, my daytime ones I'm not sure about. I may pack a variety of things and choose when I see how the temps really feel. I lucked out and got some cropped pants at NY and Co priced really well. Those could work. The colors are so-so. Neutral, so one is a light khaki but the other is mushroom. I'll have to take a picture and see what you all think. As long as the tops are warm, I should be good. Or I can wear jeans with sandals and choose lighter weight tops with scarves and necklaces.

I thought the necklace with the white would be too much...

I'm still in a debate because I want a good picture...DS will be wearing a black shirt (not his color but he's in a black phase again...not goth...just black...most of his music related tees are black...) paired with natural looking linen pants.

DH will be wearing a dark blue shirt with cream colored linen pants.

I'm definitely going to wear the off-white lace skirt...but still debating the top. I want to look good in the picture...but none of us will really be wearing our color...but I feel like men can get away with that more...especially if they have facial hair...IDK.

I'll have to see how the butterscotch looks with the blue and black...could totally work...because I do feel like that is much more flattering...

We'll see.

I also had more finds that I'll have to share later. :)

Anita, I like the beaded top with your lace skirt. Of course I would. How about a pair of statement earrings with a Spanish influence to go with your guys shirts? Try Mudd brand at Kohls. Medallion style with hanging beaded strands is what I'm thinking of. The kind we (not you, of course) wore in the 70's.

The butterscotch grip looks great on you.

How in the world did autocorrect make top into grip???

The butterscotch top looks great on you. That's what I meant to say.

Edited by aoknkentucky
Dang autocorrect!

I'm thinking the butterscotch would work well with blue and black. Have you ever seen pictures where everyone is wearing a dark color? You see faces and then a blob of color. The all blend in, and you don't where one person ends and another one starts. One body, three heads.

I'm being silly. :p But honestly, I like to have people be distinct in a picture and I think you will all still work well together. I luck out, because my husband's suit was purchased before we knew about color, and it happens to be a greenish color. Almost an olive that is a bit to the cool side...but it seems to work with what I wear, for the most half.

I tell him all the time that I'm going to treat him to a new suit, and it will likely be that bluish gray heathered kind of look. It will be perfect for him.

Nice pants. I'm going through a lighter colored phase, I think. I like the tan/sand color.

I've hit the end of my budget for new clothes for now. The earrings are a good idea...I'll have to look up that look, Debbie, I don't have it my mind.

The Guayabera shirts should be here tomorrow, so I'll lay it all out and see how it looks.

I showed DH the pictures and he was amazed at how different I looked in the two different shirts in the pictures...

Here are my Svelte Suede nails. I chipped one this morning so I added the gold French tip. I think I liked them better without it. I believe this falls into the greige category Pam was talking about. It goes well with my mushroom pants.

greigenails.jpg

Melody, those are fun! I can see those in the fall, especially getting into October and November. That would be fun! Plus, because you add them to your boots, you can still wear the boots plain when you want to.

Margaret, that is a cute nail color. I would call it a neutral. It didn't seem overly warm or cool. It would work with many things.

Maybe that is what I should look for. I want to pick up nail polish this week so that I can do up my nails Thursday night. Right now, I'm contemplating a metallic gold I have. It has a satin look to it, not glittery. I think that would pick up well on the wardrobe. At the same time, since I'm doing my nails and they are actually in good shape and long enough, maybe I can do something a bit more special. The burgundy shirt is throwing me off a bit, so I am not sure. I was going to try and find a deeper rust red, something that would look good with all those neat outfits. But I don't think it will look all that amazing with the burgundy!

You know what I just noticed about the pictures of the pants I posted? I used my Iphone, in the evening, and the colors are very, very true looking, especially in the first picture. Notice the orange/rust sweater. Next to the other items, it is still a tad brighter in photos than real life, but overall it photographed pretty well. You also get to see the detail of the print shirt too. that has a golden shimmer running through it and I decided on a necklace for it, not the one that I'm wearing with the burgundy shirt though. The one I chose is sparkly. I don't think I will look overdone, because the shirt will be tucked in to jeans, the jacket left open,and I'm using a leather belt that looks braided. It's a bit of a mix going on, I'm experimenting a bit.

I took the pictures of the pants with the other items to see if they were fitting in, and I think they are. Right now though, I have the forecast, which is subject to change. Friday, partly sunny, high of 77, low of 53. Saturday, partly cloudy, high of 74, low of 51. Sunday, mostly cloudy, high of 70, low of 48. Monday, mostly cloudy, high of 66, low of 47.

We will arrive mid day on Friday and we will likely head back later morning on Monday. The evening outfits of the dark caramel jacket and the orange sweater will be just fine. If I wear the burgundy outfit another night, I will be fine also, but will need a jacket or something if we wander around after. Right now though, I'm thinking that will be for Friday, and that is the warmest day.

Daytime...the sweater, scarf and leggings...I think that will be for Sunday. Cloudy and 70 in Lake Placid is not as warm there as it is here. The gold sweater can work for day, since it is lightweight and 3/4 sleeves. I think thi will be for whatever day we go up to the top of Whiteface, and I will have my leather look coat with me. That means I still have some figuring out to do.

Did I ever tell you guys that I used to be huge on earrings, but wore little jewelry otherwise? Then I started having a lot of sensitivity with my ears and moved away from jewelry altogether. Now it is mostly necklaces, but I've started to build up bracelets and rings too. I wear earrings, but sporadically. I will be wearing them next weekend though. I'm going to get all the jewelry ready this weekend, plus packing things that I don't have to worry about wrinkling. This isn't as easy as it used to be, because I'm still building things up. I will have to do some laundry Thursday in order to make sure I have enough bras to bring, for example.

Laundry...I got into that over on the fire thread this morning too. It's laundry day! Whoo hoo!

By the way, here is the link to the brown exercise leggings at Athleta. I need a medium, and they don't have that size! I will check and see if they run big or small...I really don't care what size a tag says, I want things to fit properly. I will be visiting the store in Rochester in October, so if I can't order them, I can always see if they have them there.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1023736&vid=1&pid=243131012

Laurie, they are pretty true to size if a bit to the small side. My DD normally wears a XS she bought a S in these. I'd order them in the size you think you need & if you have to exchange them in Rochester. Mediums tend to sell out quickly at Athleta

Edited by awhfy