All things EARTH...

We slogged our way through Connecticut in the rain and bumper-to-bumper traffic. Have I said before that I don't like road trips? This is why.

We stopped in Brattleboro, VT for a very late lunch. It has a very small but lovely historic downtown, with a very college-town vibe. We ate at a salad/sandwich/soup place where everything was very fresh and made-to-order, and we ate alongside many folks working on their laptops. Very laid back. My request for the day was to stop at a covered bridge. Brattleboro has one that dates from 1879, the Creamery Covered Bridge. We did see others over the course of the weekend, but they have all been reconstructed.

Vermont01.jpg

You can see why I'm having pants issues... these straight leg jeans are a size too big, but the replacements are too tight for a comfortable car ride. I should have worn my skinny jeans with this loose top. The top is one of my favorites, it has a steaming coffee cup and says Cappucino, and the colors are great. But, it's really loose now. Ok for a cozy day at home, but not very flattering. I'm wearing my brown leather sneakers for driving, and because of the rain.

My hair was crazy because of the humidity, which is why this is as close as you'll get on day one. :)

You can see that here in southern Vermont, most of the trees were still green, with pops of color in the smaller maples. Here in NYC, our trees are just showing a hint of turning, though it's been so dry, the speculation is that they will just turn brown and fall. :(

Normally I go through my closet every fall, before I go back to work, and try everything on. It is purge time. This year, though, because the weather has been so warm, we've been at the lake a lot and I haven't done it. It has been a problem since I started work again because I gained weight and some of my clothes are just a bit too tight for comfort. ::sigh::

Today we started out with a scenic drive, the route 12 loop. Our first stop was Quechee Gorge. There is a very nice visitors center, a shop, and a take out place with picnic tables. We took a short hike to the lake and dam, and rewarded ourselves with some amazingly good ice cream.

Vermont03.jpg

My sister is an ICE. Her hair used to be black. She started going gray in her twenties, and lately she has been coloring it on the warm side. She started wearing more EARTH colors when she moved to Seattle, but I think she really shines in the jewel tones. Sometimes I wish I could give her a Curt makeover. :) Have I said I love her? I love love love my sister.

I look like my mother, and she looks like my father, and yet we look alike. People always know we are sisters. I find that so interesting.

Vermont04.jpg

Vermont06.jpg

I had debated over bringing a coat, a sweater coat, or fleece. Apparently the dress code for Vermont is fleece and jeans. :D So, we all fit right in!

Edited by MJC
fix photo

The ice cream tided us over, but then it was time for another late lunch:

Vermont08.jpg

Attached on one side is an old caboose, which is like a private dining room:

Vermont09.jpg

Their specialty is smoked pork. The smoker was running outside when we arrived, and it smelled delicious! I'm not one to take food pictures, but the food was excellent and the servings were very generous. We let DN run around outside for a bit, and then we were fortified to continue. By this point we had passed Mount Killington (where we used to ski in winter) and were headed away from the White Mountains.

After lunch we explored the historic town of Woodstock. It had many beautiful homes dating from the early 1800s.

Vermont10.jpg

Vermont11.jpg

I just had to have my picture taken in front of the Vermont Flannel Company:

Vermont12.jpg

Yes, really wishing I had worn different pants. Originally the weather forecast had called for temps in the 40s, so I had planned on wearing my superlight down jacket (which matches the shirt and scarf better). But, it ended up being much warmer and the fleece was just perfect. This one is from Old Navy and very boxy, but it is the only one I currently have that zips all the way. I knew it would be on/off/on/off all day and didn't want to deal with a pullover one.

I really don't have a lot of fleece. I guess I don't wear it in the city much. I'm wearing my new Aerosoles shoes. Extremely comfortable! I do have that rumpled-from-being-in-the-car-all-day look. In the bag... maple country mustard! Can't wait to try it on something.

Edited by MJC
fix photo

Today was short day since we all had to head home after lunch. The goal was to find a place for city boy nephew to pet some animals. We headed to Billings Farm Museum, a "gentleman's farm." It is very beautiful there.

Vermont14.jpg

Vermont13.jpg

He did get to pet some cows and loved petting the sheep!

This is a silly picture of me "pumpkin bowling," but it is the only one of my clothes. I'm wearing a new shirt from Charming Charlie. The orange vest I've had for a while now. I like it for traveling because it makes me easy to find in a crowd.

Vermont15.jpg

This lovely but GIANT horse had a head larger than my whole nephew, but he was very sweet and patient with DN. DN wasn't scared at all. I rubbed my hand in some clover, and the horse was lipping our fingers. DN was giggling and it was so cute. He also let us pet him and stroke his mane, and he even nuzzled us at one point. A very special moment for me and my sweet boy.

Vermont17.jpg

We had another round of excellent ice cream and headed home.

Margaret...totally understand the issue with jeans! And if they are already a bit loose, they just get worse as the day goes on as they stretch a bit.

I remember a Levi commercial from long ago...a guy was driving in a convertible or other vintage feeling car and he gets out and kind of jumps and hikes up his jeans and the voice and/or text says, "Even better the second day."

I have issues with jeans, partly for that reason. Debbie has a recommendation for jeans that she posted on the Fire thread that she says are really comfortable for travel.

I know how it can be to see yourself and be critical, and even though your jeans are loose...overall, I agree with Melody, you look wonderful!

Love the vest. We have done the same with our tech fabrics for places like Disney...and any other crowd filled place...especially when DS was younger. :)

I can imagine the DN's giggles. That is one of the best sounds in the world...little kid giggles are the best. The photo is a good capture. Love that horses lips!

Laurie and you with your visits to the country! Our weekends are so crazy, there's no way. I have to do this vicariously this year. We have a bye week for football coming up, but I can't imagine going anywhere...we need sleep!

We are headed to the opera tomorrow. Matinee La Boheme. Weather is mid 70s...and the performance can be chilly with the air conditioning. I will have some fun figuring out what to wear to that. I was cold at last night's football game...I don't want to be cold at the opera.

Hello, everyone! Anita, you look so comfortable, relaxed and happy on your cruise. I just love the dress from Desigual. One thing that can be hard with a maxi is when they make it all billowy and full...it doesn't work for me. I like a maxi to be semi fitted, I think you could say. I don't want it body hugging, and I don't want a bunch of gathers. I really love the styling of that dress. Like you, if I can get a dress where I can wear a regular bra, that is a big plus.

Margaret, I love your Vermont pictures! Your nephew is a little cutie. That must have been so much fun.

I like your outfits too. You really look good when you wear earthy blue and teal colors...that is definitely your color! I'm not that bothered by the jeans. I too have the same issue about them losing their shape a bit when you drive. I try to give thought to the fit when I'm trying them on, knowing that jeans stretch a little after you've had them on a bit, and even more when sitting in a car.

I'm having some trouble finding the fit and style I want at the moment. I got a great pair of Calvin Klein jeans at Marshalls for $29.99, and I didn't use my usual rule of thumb. They just fit so perfect - length, waist, styling - and then I lost a few more pounds. Not a lot, but just enough to make them a little looser, and now I find myself pulling them up after I've had them on a bit. I went back to Marshalls last week to look for them in a smaller size, but they didn't have them. I was mad at myself for not going back sooner.

I did see them on sale at Macy's online once. I have a coupon so I may take a look and see what I can find.

I saw that Jet Blue updated their schedule so I can book our flight for Fort Lauderdale. I like to book early so I can get a good selection. I find that is when the prices are best too. Guess what? I have enough points for a free flight! That will help a lot with the idea of a winter trip. I know my husband will be hesitant so this will be a plus.

Our leaves are finally turning. i will get a picture today. As Margaret said, due to the weather over the summer, we are already losing leaves with no color changes.

Excuse any typos. I have dog laying on my lap so I only have one hand free!

I love those little independent diners, bars and restaurants you find when traveling. So much fun.

Lauri, how funny that you were at that winery! This is a small bus trip through my sister's church. A bunch of the ladies put it together for their group and said they would open it up to friends and relatives church members if there were seats available. That is why I get to go. I'm so happy to be doing something like this...I've spent many years just working, fixing up the house and raising kids....all fun things for sure, and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. But to be able to do things for myself is really wonderful, an I feel very fortunate to be able to do it.

Anita,

I'll add +1 for the dress, it's really cute!

I have enjoyed everyone's pictodiaries. Always fun to see where you have gone and what you have on :)

Margaret,

It's funny that you posted your photos of your visit. It's some of the places that we are going to go on our trip to New England next summer. I loved seeing them. We've never been to the New England area and are excited about our trip.

Oops...sorry!

Margaret, looks like you had a great trip! Your GN is adorable! Love the horse pic, love horse nuzzles, I can hear your GN's belly laugh! Brought back memories of an East Coast trip when we stopped at Quechee! Beautiful place! You look amazing in teal and blue! Your eyes just pop and it looks great with your hair color!

Anita, Glad you will have a weekend off to just relax! Marching band is a huge commitment for parents and students! I remember those late fall games, sitting on a cold, metal bleacher and getting so chilled all you could do to warm up is to go home and take a hot shower, drink a hot cocoa! Brrr..... Glad your school and community supports the arts; you are very lucky. Ours was more about sports and the arts just got the leftovers!

I went shopping last week. I have to go inspect a hospital laboratory next week. It is a pretty casual, collegial,thing but I needed a new sweater to go with my Lands End Trousers. I think they are called French walnut. Much better (earthier) than the black and gray I wore before.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-mid-rise-chino-trouser-pants/id_227768

Dress barn had sweaters BOGO 50% off, so I bought these. I left my color chips at home! Drat! But I liked these and I needed a few new sweaters, so I got them. Not sure how soft earth they are..

http://www.dressbarn.com/search/go?p=R&srid=S12-USWSEAI02&lbc=dressbarn&w=*&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dressbarn.com%2fdetail%2fplus-size-ombre-boat-neck-sweater%2f102452862%2fB99&rk=13&uid=60735936&sid=2&ts=custom&champclick=1&lgkey=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dressbarn.com%2fdetail%2fplus-size-ombre-boat-neck-sweater%2f102452862%2fB99&rsc=Ck7CWjxrcaHkUwj0&method=and&isort=globalpop&view=list&champ=1

http://www.dressbarn.com/search/go?p=R&srid=S12-USWSD03&lbc=dressbarn&w=*&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dressbarn.com%2fdetail%2fombre-cowl-neck-sweater%2f102452151%2f600&rk=29&uid=60735936&sid=2&ts=custom&champclick=1&lgkey=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dressbarn.com%2fdetail%2fombre-cowl-neck-sweater%2f102452151%2f600&rsc=uRsjZeFxDVRpHWWe&cnt=300&method=and&af=color%3aorange%20color%3ayellow%20cat1%3atops&isort=globalpop&view=list&champ=1&af=color:orange%20color:yellow%20cat1:tops

Busy today cleaning and packing for my trip tomorrow. My two best friends and I are going up north for a few days. I will make sure to take some Sleeping Bear Dune and leaf pics to post! It will make my cruise come even faster!!

We canceled our B2B cruise in Feb! Bummer! But we decided it was more important, and more financially responsible to spend more time in The UK with both our kids than go on a trip alone. We hope to do 3 weeks in the UK instead of two. We may never get back there, so we might as well see everything we can! But Feb will be tough for me (no sun) so I need to just keep exercising and eating well, keep busy planning our trip and take on a project. I think the project will be converting our home movies onto DVD.

Off to finish packing! Hope everyone has a lovely fall weekend!

Lauri

Lauri, those are pretty sweaters. I do need some warmer things, but I may hold off and just keep layering what I have for now. Dressbarn is one of my favorite stores and I drive by it every day when I go to and from work.

Now that I think about it, I have a $15.00. coupon. I should probably put that to good use!

I can't wait to see everyone's cruising pictures!

Today, we were heading out to do errands. I think I mentioned it here before, but my husband and I usually do a date lunch on Saturday, as we refer to it. We don't eat out very often. We get something such as pizza on a Friday night because I work late, but I cook the rest of the week for the most half. We found that when we went out to eat for lunch once or twice, we were talking about all sorts of things - our house projects, vacation, etc. Sometimes, we'd be watching a Syracuse football or basketball game. It was just a lot of fun for us.

Anyway, he asked me where I wanted to go to lunch today. I told him any place. We were going towards a place we mentioned, and got to talking about leaves changing. He knows I love that. He made this U-turn, and I know not to ask him why by now...I like the surprise element of it. He decided we should go to a different restaurant because it meant driving along a bunch of tree lined roads instead of the suburbs, where there was more traffic and less trees. And we did see some nice color in the leaves.

I love that he does things like that.

I keep thinking about my next cruise, even though it is a ways off. I really love to cruise...we will be going to St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee, which is RCI's private island in Haiti.

Hey ladies, I'm off today! Boy, it feels good. I've been working so much lately and it's just nice to rest a bit.

I saw this dress yesterday. Of course, it's a color I am drawn too, but probably much more a fire color than earth. It's hard to really get a good grip of the color on the screen. I thought about ordering it, since there is free shipping and I can just bring it back if it isn't right.

I don't wear a size 8 though. :-) I do down below, just not on top. It does seem like it might accommodate a fuller chest. You never know.

That being said, it seems like formal nights are more casual these days. I love formal nights, but I do feel more comfortable making adjustments these days. For example, I lean towards a less detailed longer gown for the first night, and then a short, dressy, maybe sparkly dress for the second. I definitely want to feel formal, but I don't want to be stared at either.

We will be on Allure next June, and was thinking of the olive one shoulder dress for the first formal night. That is currently being altered because it's too big. While I was at it, I decided to make a change to the bottom of the dress. I'm not sure what I want to do for the second night yet. (like I should be planning my wardrobe for something 7 1/2 months away, lol) I want to wear my red dress, I think!!! You have never seen that one on a formal picture. It's the satin one that goes just below the knee.

Still, do I try this dress from Lord and Taylor at random? I really think it's pretty, but that front may not work well for me.

Oh, and I like this one too. Just not the price. :-) And I don't think it will pass as dusty aqua. It appears to be another fire color.

I think for me, I'm just interested in trying different things to see how they work for me.

Anita , Love the Desigual dress ! I am planning on visiting the store in Spain next year so I had better save room in my suitcase .

Margaret , Your Vermont week end pictures are fabulous ! Blue is truly your color .

Lauri . I am also going to London next year and having a great time planning . Check out the London Tool Kit . Lot's of great info .

We just returned from our trip . It was great spending time with my daughter & grandsons but our weather was rainy so more indoor fun than outside .I got into the wear a pair bring a pair mentality so no great outfits to post . We had lots of family time so all in all it was a sucessful trip .

Laurie...did you mean to post links? I didn't see any to see what dresses you were talking about.

Your ports sound like the ports for my Feb 2017 cruise! I've been thinking about the Allure a lot recently. I guess there is a 2-night cruise on Allure? And people are asking about it on the Royal board. I'm looking forward to hearing your take on her.

I'm usually a pretty positive person...if ever I decide to do something, my thoughts are always to make the best of it. Because of that, I don't seem to end up with "favorites", everything becomes situation dependent...I like this best IF kind of scenarios. Or I like the idea of figuring out what is the best situation for certain things and doing that.

Anyway...Allure isn't my favorite ship, but I wouldn't hesitate to go on her again. I would probably want to go on either Oasis or Harmony though...just to do something different. And going with DH and DS would also make it different and alter my use of the ship's amenities. I've been wondering what would be a good cruise for that...there has to be a good balance of ports and Sea Days to appreciate all that Oasis class has.

Lauri...we have these ANCIENT stadium seats. Seriously...we inherited them from Dad's parents, so I know that my Grandparents used them. My Mom and Dad used them when I was in marching band...and now DH and I use them. They are the BEST though...I see the others people have and can't help thinking to myself how they just don't make things like they used to. It's nice to not have to sit directly on the bleachers and to have some back support! Makes all the difference in the world!

Missed your send off...hoping you are having a good time with your friends!

Sally...I looked up Gatlinburg and that's less than 4 hours from me. Knowing the weather we have been having...I'm not surprised you were hit with so much rain. The sun finally came out again and it almost hurt my eyes to sit on the front porch! LOL.

Melody...steal of a deal on the deposits! I really want to cruise an S-class ship. I've been on two M-class now and Mom and Dad talk a lot about the S-class...I haven't looked into though. I can't think of a time that we will be able to cruise again before our Feb 2017 one...this marching band commitment is a lifestyle...we have big travel plans over the next 12+ months...it's a big like a Money Pit (anyone see that movie?). We are very hopeful that we will get some ROI with some scholarship help for DS.

Thanks everyone for the complements on my dress! I do enjoy wearing it a lot. Funny how a dress can be so comfortable and easy to put on...and yet, it can be so much nicer than a more complicated outfit!

Sally...definitely save room in your suitcase. There is such fun stuff in that store. I left with 3 dresses, 1 shirt, 1 jacket and 1 pair of sneakers! AND the desire to return to Spain for more shopping. There are other places and the prices are so reasonable. If I were going back there, I would definitely buy a leather jacket. There were so many, they were like that Frasier episode (feels like a baby's bottom) and they were under $200 Eu. Well under, some of them.

I was running late...so I didn't have a chance to photograph my opera outfit...but I wonder how well everyone knows my clothes?

SO. Picture this, if you can (and I'm curious to know if anyone can). I bought a pair of the jeans Debbie recommended. I think they are Signature by Levi? They are very, very dark...solidly dark...so dark and uniform. It was a matinee opera...so I wore those.

On top, I wore that butterscotch tank (with the sparkle threads...and the top perfectly matched the thread color of the denim) and that bronze jacket I wore with the green to the Christmas party last year. I wore my bronze oxfords.

I was middle of the road dressy. There were extreme gowns which did seem a bit over the top for the matinee performance, but it's the opera, so enjoy if you are going right? And there were other more casual people. It was a lot like formal night on a cruise!

Jewelry wise, I wore a necklace that is pearls but they are bronze-y colored pearls and my gold hoops. Very understated.

I am finally wearing my deep, dark chocolate brown nail polish from Kiko. WOW...it is another, is it black? kind of color...I'll have to get a photo of it to share.

Debating trying to see some fall color this weekend...

Sometimes, posting in a hurry isn't a good thing! Here is one dress:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/pleated-necklace-dress-0170-95m15102su--1

The other link seems to have disappeared? I don't know if this will work or not, but here is a google link, and it's the third dress from the left, top row.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=laundry+shelli+segal&tbm=shop

here is another dress I've been looking at for quite a long time. I do have quite a few dresses, but I very much look for a deal, and all of these are designer dresses with a designer price tag.

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~1803007MF48V6US32/MICHAEL+Michael+Kors+Solid+Wrap+High+Low+Dress.jsp?navPath=Women/Shop/Designer/Dresses&cm_mmc=Search%20-%20Google-_-PLA%20Basic%20Campaign-_-PLA%20Primary%20AdGroup-_-AutoTargets&kpid=0438538580686&gclid=CL-ZjqPEv8gCFYkWHwodYtkByw

I was able to find this one elsewhere for $65.00, with 20% off.

I'm trying to make good decisions when adding to my wardrobe since I took a lot of things out due to losing weight.

I couldn't figure the dress on google. I'm pretty sure it isn't the black slip dress and that's what came up in that slot.

You seem to be looking at more casual dresses? For our Feb 2017 cruise, we will be going ALL OUT formal. As I was driving home with DS' tux that we have to rent through the school for his concert attire for both Chorus and Symphonic Band...I realized he will have a tux again next school year! Dad already owns a tux...so DH will just rent one on the ship, I think.

And I told Mom that I'm going for a full on GOWN.

Looking forward to those pictures for sure! Hopefully, I can control my eye issue and not have bugged out eyes on that cruise! LOL.

I'm hoping to fit back into my brown gown for the second formal night, but I want a new one for the first one. No clue as to the style or anything yet though...

Anita, i wear dresses every night. Right now, I have a handful of long dresses being altered, and a couple shorter ones. I think I am just trying to develop a variety of dresses.

The picture I just posted I took from the google website. I guess the dress isn't available any more? I ordered it yesterday because there was free shipping, and I can brng it right back up to the mall if it doesn't fit, I don't like it, don't think it's worth it, etc.

The brown high low dress is a casual or smart casual dress for me. The aqua (I wish dusty aqua) dress I would wear on a 3 or 4 day cruise for formal night because of the neckline detail, or I'd wear it to a specialty restaurant at another time.

Not sure about the orangey red one...I'd have to see if it seems more like a maxi dress or more like a formal night dress. If it is more a maxi dress, I probably wouldn't keep it even if I loved it. That would end up being too much money for what it is, I think.

I honestly would say that Allure is not on the top of my list, only because I like to really experience the water, and I think the only way we will is through our balcony. I am open minded though, and would like to try different classes. So far, really love the Freedom class. I loved the Voyager class too, as it is a lot like the Freedom class but smaller.

Radiance class has a tremendous amount of glass...it really brings the sea in to you, if you know what I mean. I liked that a lot, but I would have liked a promenade area, a place where you could get a bite to eat whenever. Enchantment lacked that as well, unless the Park Cafe was open.

I like having choices, but I don't want to have to schedule every little detail of my trip. We did get traditional dining on Allure, and when reservations open up, my husband and I will make dinner reservations for a specialty restaurant one night. But I am a bit bummed that we need to reserve all the shows, or risk not getting in to them.

I do love formal nights, and want to keep them that way, at least for me. I know it isn't for everyone. My wording yesterday probably wasn't the best. I want to make sure my choices don't end up...overdone? I'm definitely going to wear that one sparkly kind of dress with the rhinestone detail on a cruise soon. I love satin and taffeta a lot. I am thinking more classic styling with jewelry adding extra detail.

Since we are talking about jeans . I love Lee jeans they have the right amount of stretch without being too clingy plus they come in the perfect length . I packed a pair for our trip and guess what ? They were too large . I guess my gym routine has paid off in inches so now I have to get at least one size down .