All things EARTH...

I think I need to seriously think about boots. I woke up to a dusting of snow, and we had flurries off and on. It's not sticking though, which is good.

I had fun trying on the dresses I ordered, and having my daughter take some pictures. I look forward to everyone's feedback.

I will start with my disappointment dress. This is the dress by Laundry (Shelli Seagal) that came in a ripped bag, on a 1X hanger, with a few pulls and the missing belt. It was the last dress, apparently, which is why I can't seem to find a picture online.

I will say this...I think it is a beautiful dress. It was originally $225.00, and I got it for $90.00. It would need hemming, and the shoulders need to come up...if I were to keep it. I plan to let Lord and Taylor know about all this. I will admit that I do like the dress. I am not one to say this, but I felt attractive in the dress. Opinions? Everything - color, style, etc.

IMG_37421_zpsvufdfclo.jpg

It's probably a bit more of a fire color? But it doesn't have an in your face brightness at all. it has almost a faded sense to it. Anita, is this like that salsa dress you have colorwise?

Here is a color that also has a toned down sense to it, but I really don't know what for sure it is. It's not earth. My husband LOVES this dress, and so do my daughters. I can see this being worn to something like a wedding, or on a cruise at a specialty restaurant. I have two bracelets that I thought went well with the dress, one which is being worn with it. This is also Laundry by Shelli Seagal. It was more than the orange/red dress was, but not super expensive.

IMG_37381_zpsoqmnpirq.jpg

One of the things I like about it is that I've been working hard in the gym, and my calves and shoulders are showing it. My middle doesn't really show it. This dress shows what it should, hides what it should. ;) I was unsure about having something a little looser around the middle?

Here is a casual dress. Boy, I love this dress. That is brown in the dress, not black. It's long, so I put on a very comfortable pair of sandals that had a bit of a heel so it wouldn't be dragging for the picture. My daughter like the sandals with it and told me that if they are comfortable, just wear them and not bother to hem the dress. It's a jersey like fabric. I didn't get a picture of the back, but I do have to wear a strapless bra with this. The straps come to the middle around a gold metal ring. This is a Michael Kors.

IMG_37371_zpsoy3b1l0e.jpg

This next dress is also Michael Kors, and the color is called duffle. I've been looking at this dress online for over a year. What I didn't realize when I ordered it was that it is more of an olive color. The dress I was watching last year was chocolate? I think the brown is still out there, I just found this color on clearance, that's all. But it's a great color.

I have to say...I had on one of my older too big bras, and I can tell. Just compare it to the previous dress. I almost want to run upstairs, put a different bra on, and start over.

IMG_37331_zpsaqjxgtzk.jpg

On a completely different note, I am thinking about packing cubes again. They really appeal to my sense of wanting to be organized, but I'm not sure they will really suit me. Maybe I just need to find some inexpensive ones and give them a try for one trip.

Laurie, love both of the Michael Kors dresses, they both look superb on you! The turquoise is very pretty, love the detail on the neckline. The orange-red is attractive, but it doesn't look like $90 to me--now if L&T is classy & brings it down to say, $45, then I'd keep it too!

I put all my lingerie & bathing suits in cubes, I don't want TSA pawing through my delicates (I leave them in cubes while on ship as well.

I went to the grand opening weekend at Sierra Trading Post again this afternoon & found exactly the waterproof, breathable hooded rain jackets I've been looking everywhere for! Marmot jackets, on sale, 10% military discount, 20% off sale price on one & my 40% online coupon (honored in store!), what a buy! I wanted the teal but they only had my size in the bright pink (I've still got 3 weeks before we cruise, fingers crossed for the teal to come back in stock) & a bright blue for my DH. Drumroll, $29 for BOTH of them! What a score. Melody

You look great in all the dresses . My favorite is the print Michael Kors . It is so versatile . It can be dressed up and dressed down .

I also like the dressed up/dressed down versatility of that dress. Love the turquoise one. The last one I'm not so sure, I think because for me the necklace seems not the right proportion for the neckline, and I'd like to see a more open shoe that shows off more of your ankles and feet. Love the style and the color, though.

That orange looks great on you. It may be one of those in-between colors that the FIRE ladies would say isn't FIRE either. But it works on you IMO. I like it without a belt, I think.

I went hiking with a friend today in the nearby state park. It was cold, only low 40's, but beautiful:

wsp01.jpg

This pond has an active beaver dam. So fun:

wsp02.jpg

When we left the lake to drive home, it was snowing! :eek: It's going down to 28 in the city tonight, crazy cold for this time of year.

Melody, you look like you're having so much fun! You look good in green.

Trading Post again this afternoon & found exactly the waterproof, breathable hooded rain jackets I've been looking everywhere for! Marmot jackets, on sale, 10% military discount, 20% off sale price on one & my 40% online coupon (honored in store!), what a buy! I wanted the teal but they only had my size in the bright pink (I've still got 3 weeks before we cruise, fingers crossed for the teal to come back in stock) & a bright blue for my DH. Drumroll, $29 for BOTH of them! What a score. Melody

What a great deal ! We need to find new jackets for our TA cruise .

Margaret, I agree that I did not accessorize that last dress well. It's a beautiful fit and style, and in my mind, these items worked. In reality, not so much. I have lots of choices for necklaces and shoes that would work better.

There are times when I try to take a good look at a color, and try to categorize it and come up a bit short. I felt that way on the red/orange and the aqua. I would probably say that they are both fire. I think they work though, overall.

The belt that is suppose to be on that dress is a gold snake style belt. I happen to have a broken gold snake belt at home, and I tried it. It does add a nice touch to the dress, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory.

With your links that you have posted, I am very drawn to the Vince Camuto in that teal like green color. I debated, but didn't think I could get away with that neckline. With their current sale, you can get an additional 30% off that dress.

Badgley Mischka always seems so classy. I think I over use that word sometimes, but that is what I think of. Then the Sue Wong dress....she has such a distinctive style, but I love the look. I find that she really likes light colors. She does a lot with ivory and softer colors. It's nice that not everything is black.

I often wonder if I display a pattern to the dresses I am drawn to. I also think that some things look different in real life or fit in a way you weren't expecting. That orange/red dress is kind of funny...it was much more body conscientious than I was expecting. The aqua dress was much more flattering than I thought it would be. You just never know.

Did anyone else focus on the star on the Sue Wong dress? So Sue WRONG.

IDK if Mom and I are especially sensitive to pattern placement...or what...but I don't know if I could walk around with that star so close to my lady parts...

Laurie...the patterned maxi is my fave. I'd hem it in a heartbeat though...I don't mind seeing shoes peeking out under a dress and I'd want to be able to wear it with flats.

I agree with Margaret re:the styling of the last dress...I'd like to see it with different jewelry and shoes. It's nice to have a dress with sleeves though. Trying to visualize just the dress itself...I think that's a keeper.

Your red dress seems similar in coloring to my salsa dress...that appears to be that matte jersey fabric. It packs like a dream. The color is lovely...

Since we never saw the dress with the added belt...it looks perfectly wonderful without it. I can't imagine the belt? There is so much going on there in front, I would think that the belt is unnecessary? But those belt loops? That's always weird to me to have loops with no belt. Could you take those off without damaging the fabric?

Also...IDK about all that fabric action in front. From the front view, it's very nice...it creates an illusion of more waist because of the shape of that detail. It's reminding me though of some things I have and have tried on, and I really ended up hating the side view. It did terrible things to emphasize my middle in a bad way. I don't know if that dress does that...you might want to take some other views of yourself in it to see if it does. It can be upsetting to get caught at a bad angle in photos because of the detail of a dress, not your actually shape.

I'm not reading that you love the red dress...and honestly, I think it's okay...but I don't know if you would end up picking it over some of your other red dresses.

The blue dress is really lovely. Everything about it is lovely. The bracelet you have goes so very well with that dress too. That's a good style on you...exactly what you said, showing off what you want to and skimming over otherwise. And it is clear from your expression in that photo that you like the way you look in the dress.

I actually kind of like the way that blue is working with your hair color? But you are getting a bit lost in that color. If you keep it, you need to experiment with your eye makeup. Your eyes look very recessed in that blue compared to the others. And something about that blue is emphasizing the paleness of your brow part of your eye? I looked, and it seems like that pale part is in every photo...but in the blue one, I thought I was seeing the dress reflected on your face...your brows were looking bluish.

I think I recall Curt saying that wearing the right color makes the whites of our eyes more white. Some of that white eye isn't as white...

So I point all of this out because, for me, this is the power in the knowledge that we have about all this color. When you find something that you love so much...and it isn't the best color (the blue isn't the worst, for sure...)...then we understand what we have to do in order to compensate a bit for a less flattering color. Which, I believe, in this case is the effect on your eyes.

I think you need mascara...strategic eyeliner...to neutralize the color of your brow and also to use some contouring eye tricks to make your brow less prominent. My eyes do the same thing, so this could be why I've focused in on this. A while back, I posted some links to some videos with great tips for using matte neutrals to recontour your eye appearance. I would check those out.

I would keep the blue one...

Oh my...gotta go.

Lol. Really. I was laughing out loud! Treasure map...I don't really think much about the placement of designs unless it is a really strong this game. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It really makes a huge difference for me. I think they are all keepers. The red/orange one won't be unless they offer a significant discount. It is as actually a very fitted dress. The underlining part is body hugging with just the drape in the front being looser. The main thing is that the shoulders would need adjusting. Then the hem....we will see. But I'm really happy with the others!,

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Lol. Really. I was laughing out loud! Treasure map...

OMG. Yeee---eeesss!

Margaret...I want to hang out with you.

I'm going crazy with shoe purchases!

The red boots came. LOVE them. Red was the perfect choice for me. These boots need to be fun...kind of like, if you are going to wear big ole rain boots...they should be yellow. Or some other fun color. Might wear them earlier, but will definitely wear them to football on Friday...so I'll share then.

I ordered another pair of boots. I know. I know. I've had a certificate for Planet Shoes burning a hole in my online account...;) and the email came out today announcing their Fall Boot Blowout. Check it out Laurie...not sure what you are looking for, but maybe there's something there for you.

I'm taking a chance on these:

http://www.planetshoes.com/item/planet-pasadena/60074/g40

For such an inexpensive boot, they get really good reviews. If anyone remembers...my new winter coat (from last year) and my quilted vest are green too. Seemed a good choice.

I'm coming into the realization that I like an accent shoe.

Love the fall photos Margaret and Melody.

Someone is leaving soon...I think it's you Lauri. You ready?

Anita, love the green boots! Lauri, Barbara then me...all on Royal's Liberty, all different cruises [emoji22]

I did a prepack yesterday (to get weight situated, we're flying). Lingerie cube, check; bathing suit & workout gear cube, check; shoes (individually wrapped in newspaper sacks, check; electronic cords cube, check; dop kit (hair stuff, makeup, sunscreen) check; day clothes cube, check; evening stuff on hangars in dry cleaning bags, check; weight, 40 lbs! Wait, that's not right, it's usually 47 lbs with the same stuff! What did I miss, check the list; nope, have everything. Have DH check, he now officially thinks I'm nuts...it's a new suitcase, 6.5 lbs lighter (empty) than my old Briggs & Reilly (I forgot!). Now I have to go get him a suitcase like mine...lol, I thought I was done shopping. Melody

, check; weight, 40 lbs! Wait, that's not right, it's usually 47 lbs with the same stuff! What did I miss, check the list; nope, have everything. Have DH check, he now officially thinks I'm nuts...it's a new suitcase, 6.5 lbs lighter (empty) than my old Briggs & Reilly (I forgot!). Now I have to go get him a suitcase like mine...lol, I thought I was done shopping. Melody

Melody , What suitcase did you buy ? I am in the market for a lighter weight suitcase .

I often wonder if I display a pattern to the dresses I am drawn to. I also think that some things look different in real life or fit in a way you weren't expecting. That orange/red dress is kind of funny...it was much more body conscientious than I was expecting. The aqua dress was much more flattering than I thought it would be. You just never know.

Laurie , You always seem to be drawn to sheath dresses with waist gathering but you look so great in that maxi A line that IMO you should try on more A lines . The fuller bottom makes your top look smaller .

Melody , What suitcase did you buy ? I am in the market for a lighter weight suitcase .

I got a cheapy Sampsonite, 24" quad spinner, under 5 lbs at TJMaxx for $59. Couldn't pass it up. I'd been using my Briggs & Reilly quad spinner For about 10-12 years (over 12lbs). I bought it when I was traveling for work, then didn't use it much cause I didn't check a bag when I traveled for business. I thought about getting a Tumi, as they're really nice bags, but the way airlines destroy cases, I opted to try a cheapy this time...we'll see, 10 Nov is its maiden voyage...Melody

shoes (individually wrapped in newspaper sacks, check

Brilliant! I don't get a newspaper but we get some freebie thing about once a week, I think...I usually throw that bag in with the plastic film to be recycled with grocery bags, etc...but this is a great re-use!! For whatever shoes/sandals will fit.

It's hard to believe my cruise is just a bit over a week away. Wow... it's been a long time coming. I have had a crazy couple of weeks doing a ton of overtime so it's been wonderful having this to look forward to. I started some packing yesterday before work. I don't use cubes, but use ziploc bags instead, which I think probably do a similar thing. I started using ziploc bags when I traveled for work and once got boarded before a coworker (whom I had just met) and he took my carryon bag onboard for me. Well this was just shortly after 9/11 and he got picked to have the bag searched at the gate. With my luggage. I was already on the plane and they started sifting through my underwear, bras, nightgown etc... all in front of him and everyone else. When he got onboard and told me I pretty much wanted to die. I bought him a beer and we laughed about it for years. But it taught me to pack differently. Now if someone paws through my luggage it's all bagged up and almost vacuum packed. LOL.

I was hoping I had a color theme going for this cruise (the Vivienne Files make me wish I shopped smarter) but I really don't. I do still have a lot of black (sorry) but surprisingly am only taking two black dresses (one is black with gold on top, and the other is black and pink). I am taking a red plaid dress, a blue dress and possibly a champagne colored dress (which is pretty body conscious and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the body it's showing, but my husband likes it). The dresses are for dinners and I'll supplement those with a couple of cute tunics/leggings and my leather jeans with a strepless teal silk top. I am very excited. Now, I just need to figure out what to wear during the day...

Off I go to work again. Sigh. I need this vacation. I have worked 18 hours of overtime since Friday. Yes, this past Friday. That doesn't include my normal scheduled hours... so as of tonight i will have worked 70 hours since Friday. This cruise cannot come fast enough. LOL.

Lauri - when do you leave?

Brilliant! I don't get a newspaper but we get some freebie thing about once a week, I think...I usually throw that bag in with the plastic film to be recycled with grocery bags, etc...but this is a great re-use!! For whatever shoes/sandals will fit.

Been doing it for years, use a plastic grocery sack for DHs shoes. Keeps clothes clean

Barbara, have a great cruise & don't think about work! Those are hours I used to work! Don't miss it.

I used ziplock bags before I got the cubes, the cubes are a better size for me with much better zippers. I also don't have a color theme going on. Lots of brights for tops, sparkly tops for evening, black & white bottoms (1 pr slacks each color for evenings), 1 pr of capris each color & 1 pr khaki capris, my Athleta skorts) 2 bathing suits & rashguards. I haven't done pictures, will try to remember to get a picture of each outfit...Melody

Edited by awhfy

I have often thought about a core wardrobe, but as most of you know, I don't re-wear things a lot so it doesn't make a huge difference for me. I do try to not bring too many shoes. They take up a lot of weight and space.

I do find that I can mix and match items a lot, which is very handy. I usually know right away when an item I have isn't a good earth color. It just doesn't work with the rest. That being said, I don't wear purple and orange together, even if they are both earthy tones. But I think you get the idea...when you start pulling things out of drawers and your closet, and laying them out, you know when something just isn't right.

I think I might try packing cubes at some point, but not everything. But this will be a good way to see what I think of them.

Anita, I'm going to check out that website and look for some boots. I think what makes finding a pair I really like so difficult is finding the kind of style I'm looking for that is flat, cute, not dressy, but not too casual at the same time.

This is a pair I saw quickly on Saturday when my husband was picking up a new pair of jeans at the mall:

https://www.ghbass.com/product/ally+boot.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

I think I'm undecided about the flap type fold over. But I'm not sure I want a lace up style either. Hm....

Anita, those are cute looking boots. The idea of wearing them with a matching vest or other items is great. I have been leaning towards brown.

My winter coat is kind of a puff coat from Eddie Bauer in a teal color. I don't currently have any real accessories for it. By that I mean a matching scarf, gloves and boots. I'm not looking for teal - I'm looking for a pulled together look so I am thinking chocolate brown on the boots, and maybe a scarf that has teal, brown and some other earth colors. The gloves would probably be brown. It's all about keeping warm!

I do have an olive green wool coat that is ideal for work. I think the thing is, it's going to be big this year. Also, it wasn't exceptionally warm. I'll have to get it out and try it on.

I'm so excited for everyone's upcoming cruises! Has Lauri left already? I think she was going to be gone for 10 days, right? I love the Freedom class. They are great ships.

Sally, I've always been a bit unhappy with my appearance, but especially the middle area. I don't have a defined waist, and even with all the working out I'm doing, it's still a challenge. I usually tend towards gathers and ruching so that I'm camouflaging my middle while trying to do something to differentiate the top and bottom of a dress. I was thinking that would create a waistline somehow?

I will say that I love that dress. in with my chest area being smaller, dresses don't "tent out" over the girls. That was never a good look

Athleta is having a sale! A good one! I stopped in to get a price adjustment on my green shirt (went down $20, definitely worth my time, especially when I happened to be next door). So, of course, I bought another shirt just like it in the cobalt blue! Didn't need it, but I'll really enjoy it! Melody

Laurie...even if you don't find anything that is a perfect color or style, I would recommend that you find SOMETHING to try on. Hopefully, something that you might think would be likely to be purchased from Athleta...if they ever did get a color you would really want. That way, you could have a clue as to sizing.

I looked at the sale...there are things there I could use...but nothing I truly need. This is good, because I have finalized the purchases of everything I really need. Now I just need to wear what I have purchased and/or fit into things that I already have. I don't want to buy anything more in my current size.

I'm thinking about doing a 333 project. I haven't looked into it too much yet, but the weather is changing...and I enjoyed my little capsule wardrobe so much on the cruise...I'm thinking about making an Autumn one. It will all go together with the idea of making outfits with my new shoes/boots...and the weather is changing...definitely cooler...time to revisit my cooler weather clothing.