All things EARTH...

That Chico's V-neck is nice. I had a couple of those a long while back. Unfortunately, mine did shrink in the length eventually to the point that I would put them on to wear...take them right off again because I didn't like the length and the way they looked...I extended their life by layering them with a cami underneath so that the underlayer was at least right where I wanted it to be...and when they were ridiculously big, I gave them away.

I know that they ended up in the dryer several times...Jane, you ever have this problem? They are 100% cotton, and cotton tends to shrink in the length if it shrinks...

I'm looking to fill holes in my wardrobe for the up and coming cooler season. I can button several bottoms but they aren't really wearable yet...very close though, so I'm feeling good about that. I think I'm just going to have to wait on clothing...I can layer up, if need be.

I seem to have a shoe problem though...

I will need new formal shoes for our Spring Break cruise. The ones I have are too thin in the straps and too many straps...my feet always swell and they hurt. I found these online and I have to find a Dillards here so I can try them on since they aren't sold at Zappos:

03944100_zi_penny?$c7product$

http://www.dillards.com/product/Alex-Marie-Tyla-Glitter-Sandals_301_-1_301_503564145?df=03944100_zi_blue_moon

The color is called Penny...which explains the sweet copper color. I'm hoping that it is more of a coppery color and not too rose colored in person...as I think this would be a great EARTH neutral that I could wear for years to come! All the reviews are positive and talk about comfort. Big thumbs up.

I also am liking these for a transition season shoe:

03986421_zi_brown

http://www.dillards.com/product/Nurture-Hope-Platform-Sandals_301_-1_301_503738005?df=03986421_zi_black

I have issues with dresses transitional weather because I don't have proper footwear. When I want to look a bit nicer...I have nothing. Do you think these would be cute with tights? I think so. I think I could even wear a thinner trouser sock and wear them with pants?

I also need a good pair of flats. I'm thinking about getting some mocs. I'm thinking about getting the classic Minnetonka brand. I found a store locally that carries them. The more I see them, the more I like them. I haven't decided on a style yet as I want to try them on first and see what I think of the different possibilities. I think these suit my everyday style. Some of them have a loafer look...more laid back loafer, but still a loafer. I'm hoping there is enough foot coverage to not be like ballet flats, which I can't wear at all. They just don't work for my feet.

In other news...Mom and I have been talking about formal night for our cruise. DS will everything but a jacket...and I don't think I want to spend the money on a jacket for him (as much as he would love that.) But also...for this shorter cruise...I don't know that I want to have to deal with packing two jackets (DH and DS). So I'm thinking about having them wear formal waistcoats (vests) and just looking like they already took off their jacket for the evening. I like that waistcoat look. Maybe it's the resurgence of that fashion with the Great Gatsby movie (which I haven't seen yet...).

I'm also contemplating making some scarves. I know this sounds funny, but I look at scarves...I like the long kind, not the square kind...and I think how simple they are! How hard could they be to make? I've been thinking about trying to make some custom scarves that aren't quite as bulky as a normal scarf that could take the place of a statement necklace. It's the bulk that makes me crazy...and bothers me when I wear things...

Gotta get dressed for Zumba...I'm teaching tonight!

I don't know about you guys, but I find the hem length to be an interesting thing too. For a while, I kept having trouble with shirt length. When you are a bit larger on top, it is natural for a shirt to move up a bit. It seemed like I had to buy a shirt that was too big to land mid hip where I wanted it. This year, hems seem much lower.

You know, Laurie, I noticed this recently when I was shopping for school. The narrower pants seem to call for a longer top, which I like because it’s much better for my proportions. Much easier to find this season.

I did another big closet purge this week. I took all the summer clothes that I didn’t wear and tried them all on. I really thought about why I didn’t wear them, and predominantly it was for fit or style. Only a few things went on the sewing pile. Of my older clothes, most of them seemed to look out of style with my new purchases, even though they are only 6 or 7 years old. It just shows how the silhouette changes slowly over time until one day it just doesn’t look right anymore.

It also became clear to me that I really didn’t know how to shop for my bigger body. I was all over the place trying to find what would work. I really wish I had known then that I was a “spoon.”

Anita, cute shoes! Those copper ones are awesome. And I can see the brown ones with a swingy dress or with a leather jacket and jeans, very versatile. You'll have to let me know if they're comfy. Sometimes I have trouble with peep-toes.

I had a fun shopping day!

I used to live so close to a mall. Now...I just don't. :( DH had taken me to the closest mall and I didn't like it. It didn't have good stores... So today, we went on a mall expedition. First, we went to a mall that should have consistent traffic patterns...but the mall was TERRIBLE. It was DEAD. No one was there. I was so shocked. And the shoe department didn't have either of the shoes I wanted...in fact...the shoe department was the saddest Dillards shoe department I have ever been in.

And I have to share...I resisted the cutest, most comfortable, most affordable dress today. It was orange...but it was FIRE orange. And as great as it was...I knew that it was all wrong...and I did not purchase this super cute dress.

So DH and I decided to head over to one of the hot shopping areas in the Atlanta metro...I called Mom to verify directions...since my phone is still stupid ...in fact all our phones are stupid...we act as each other's Smart Phones, or as Mom put it...she was pretending to be OnStar for me. So off we went to an AWESOME mall! We didn't really walk the mall because we were on a mission. We only went to Dillards...but this was a quality Dillards...and they had both of the shoes I wanted to try. So here's the scoop.

The copper shoes are BEAUTIFUL. BUT...:(...they went pink whenever I tried to pair them up with a lovely EARTH color. Knowing the dresses I would want to wear with them? I didn't like the combo. I don't know if these were really EARTH or AIR. But I wanted to be able to wear them with Red, Purple, and Brown and I didn't like the way the color paired with these colors at all. I learned that the Alex Marie brand and the Nurture brand are the same company. I have to say that these were one of the most comfortable formal style shoes I've ever put on my feet. And listen up lurkers...they had a BLUE version in the stores. OMG. These were GORGEOUS. I honestly can't tell you if they were FIRE or ICE. They were an absolutely fabulous color blue. Just amazing. You'd have to know the dress you wanted to wear with them. The blue was more navy than royal...but the glitter had some darker and lighter tones...a truly beautiful shoes.

The brown peep toes. OMG!! GREAT. Margaret...I have a pair of peep toes and they are painful. I think I understand what you mean when you say that sometimes they give you trouble? The cushioning in these shoes was amazing. And the shoe itself hugged your foot. I tried them with and without a trouser sock and they were a fantastic shoe. Unfortunately, what I really need is more of a go-to shoe for more everyday when the weather changes...and this price point was just beyond what I want to spend right now. I think I'll try to watch for a sale... But these shoes were a bit hit. The heel was more than I am used to BUT...they were still okay. Ever put a shoe on and it feels like a power shoe? The kind of shoe that makes you sing the "Boot were made for walkin'" song? Just because you think you can walk all over ANYTHING in the sweet shoes on your feet!

In our shopping expedition, I also realized why I have such issues with sleeved shirts. Seriously people. Do you realize that I very rarely wear a shirt with sleeves? I HATE them. HATE them. It's a huge hole in my wardrobe and so I was really focusing on long sleeve shirts...because I was very cold last season during the cold months...and here's my problem. My body frame...as in the size that a pattern would need to be to comfortably fit under my armpit and accommodate my arm size and length is different than the size I need to accommodate the girls. :eek: So I try on a size so that the girls aren't looking like stressed water balloons and so that the hem hits where I want at the hips...but the arm pit is like halfway down to the girls instead of up in my armpit. I raise my arms which causes the armpit seam to go up into my armpit raising the whole shirt and then when I put my arms back down...I get a huge wrinkle across my chest above my girls where the fabric doesn't doesn't slide back down my body. :mad: Then I have to tug and pull at the hem to readjust the shirt. SO ANNOYING. When you wear a shirt without sleeves...you don't have this problem.

IF you get a looser fitting shirt...you look like you're wearing a tent. I could Heidi Klum (I love Project Runway...)...this shirt...you can't see her body at all...she just looks like she's walking under a tent...there's NO sex appeal at all.

Oh. I also went to a specialty shoe store. They seemed to specialize in "comfort" brands like Merrell, Clarks, Born, Dansko, Chacos, Toms, Uggs...and they carried Minnetonka. The style I tried was okay. But I'm not sure that the moc style is good for my foot. The string that helps the shoe conform to your foot dug in across the one part of my foot. Supposedly that goes away as they break in...but then I'm thinking...do you need to keep tightening that tie to keep the shoes from bowing out funny on your foot?

So I'm still on the search for a great everyday cold weather shoe for me.

*sigh*

We have a great mall nearby, but honestly, Anita, it's too big. I can shop til I drop, so to speak, but it is really hard to get from one area to another due to the size. It's three floors, and they recently added on. Still, it does give me some good options. My problem is that I like company, and without a doubt, my daughters will migrate to their favorite stores, which I don't happen to shop in. They are more than patient with me, but I know that where I shop doesn't excite them (except Dress Barn - we all love that store) and so I end up going where they like and then I buy them a few things...whether I should or not...and we end up maybe having lunch and so forth, then heading home.

Finding shoes can be the toughest thing for me. I can find slip on summer sandals fairly well, but after that, it's all downhill. I have a wide foot, and the selection in wide width can be atrocious. I tend to just buy bigger, and use those inserts. with all the trouble I have finding shoes that fit well, I end up with modifying and sore feet. It sure can be frustrating.

Depending on the style you are looking for, would something like this be good?

http://www.bocshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=9075

I believe they have plainer ones as well, although I just got these yesterday and they seem pretty good so far. I'm going to a home show shortly and plan to wear them. Since I get to do a lot of walking in them, I will let you know about the comfort factor. They are nicely cushioned inside, and are super cute with a pair of jeans.

Laurie...I have a pair of clogs that I really like and so that style is very similar to the clogs. My issue with the clogs is that I don't like them as much with skirts. Maybe I need to look at photos and see if there are people wearing clogs with skirts but I'm wanting something that looks better with skirts. Right now, I don't end up wearing skirts very much in cooler weather because I don't have shoes I want to wear with the skirts...and that's what I'm trying to fix right now...finding a cold weather, also good with skirts shoe.

Oh. And capris. Capris can be very challenging in the shoe department. Shoes that work for pants don't necessarily work for the shorter length. If the weather is transitional and not too cold, but sandals would be ridiculous? then I just don't have the right shoe to wear necessarily.

My foot isn't technically wide enough to be a wide...but my toe box is definitely wider than my heels and this is why shoes like ballet flats, etc. just don't work for my feet...if they are good for the front of my foot, I generally lift out of them in the back...if they are tight enough to stay on my heel, then generally they rub so bad and are never pleasant for the backside of my heel.

I picked up some long sleeved shirts at Target yesterday. This is how challenged I am with long sleeved shirts. I have two very dressy long sleeved shirts. I don't count these in my everyday wardrobe. I then have one turtle neck (which I don't usually wear alone but layer when the weather is very cool...so I don't wear it much). I have one lightweight sweater that is functions like a shirt. I then have 3 NORMAL long sleeved shirts. THREE! So buying two shirts yesterday really increased the long sleeved shirt section of my wardrobe! LOL.

They have a great rust color and burgundy color at Target right now. The tag on the burgundy colors says "red" which is bizarre because I would NEVER call this color red...maybe wine or burgundy...but never red. Anyway...for an inexpensive knit shirt...these are great colors...and thin enough to layer easily and adjust length to where you want it...I don't mind a bit of a wrinkled look in the body of shirt if the length is longer. In fact, I kind of like it if the shirt is thin enough...better than totally smooth for me.

I don't know how easy it is for ya'll to shop at Target? There was a teal color too...and I kept going back and forth on it...I eventually opted out because I think it highlighted the yellow v. red in my skin rather than smoothing that out. Margaret would be the one to really tell us if the teal currently at Target is EARTH or not. The way Target is...they have their colors and then you can get all different shirt and pant styles in that same color. It's good for that column dressing that the Vivienne Files talks about...if you can find a shirt and pant style that works for you.

I forgot to mention how cute I looked when we were shopping. I had simple chino like shorts on and two layered tanks and those orange sandals that I wear a lot. And I wore a scarf! I was inspired by this photo in the Athleta catalog...

cn6350646.jpg

I think the scarf really adds a stylish note to this simple look. So I felt cute on our shopping expedition.

Laurie...it depends on what I am shopping for...whether or not I want company. I don't have any girlfriends to go shopping with...unless I'm with Mom...I haven't shopped with a girlfriend since we lived in Wichita...that would be 2005? So I have DH and DS... it's only since we moved to GA and DH works the 9/80 that we could have the option of not having DS with us for shopping if we took the off Friday for shopping like this weekend. But if I know that I would be spending a lot of time in the dressing room...I prefer to leave the men at home...it's not as much fun to wait on someone...it's more fun to have company in the fitting room area.

So I've been looking at pictures of clogs with skirts...and I think that I need to play a little with that look and see if I just don't have the right socks or tights to make that look work. My problem a bit is the size of my calves...the skinny legged girls can make anything look cute...my legs are very muscular and so some of these looks just don't seem right to me when they are on my body.

Here are some recent photos from various publications. First, some trends I like.

Winter white – have to wear this judiciously in NYC but I love this skirt:

leather.jpg

Color blocking for winter, EARTH style:

greencoat.jpg

Camel, lots of camel, I love it:

camelsuit.jpg

camelskirt.jpg

A pretty brown coat, makes me want to dig my brown leather gloves out:

browncoat.jpg

Love the casual but tidy lines of this jacket from LL Bean :

jacket.jpg

Some nice colors from LL Bean…

Orange Spice Heather:

orangespiceheather.jpg

and Warm Red:

warmred.jpg

All fashion shows end with a gown, how beautiful is this Zac Posen (not a fan of the lizard, however)?

zacposen.jpg

Ok, I absolutely did buy some sensible shoes for work, but these were SO cheap and SO pretty I had to buy them. In terms of original price, they are definitely the most expensive shoes I've ever bought. Amazing how comfortable they are -- and I already wore them for Rosh Hashanah. Yeah!

ColeHaan.jpg

Ok, I absolutely did buy some sensible shoes for work, but these were SO cheap and SO pretty I had to buy them. In terms of original price, they are definitely the most expensive shoes I've ever bought. Amazing how comfortable they are -- and I already wore them for Rosh Hashanah. Yeah!

ColeHaan.jpg

I lOVE the shoes, Margaret. Name, please? How I long for a killer pair of shoes that are comfortable. I didn't think they existed in real life. I thought that was a fairy tale! Kinda like the old saying about good, cheap and easy. You can have any combination of two but all three together just doesn't exist.

I appreciate the pictures you post. Even though they aren't my colors, they show trends and accessories. By posting the upcoming EARTH colors, I know what to steer clear of since I gravitate to EARTH automatically. It helps this FIRE girl very much. Thanks!!

This has been a busy thread today! I've been out and about a bit, and when I got back, my dog found it necessary to nap and push my computer out if his way. So, I'm just getting a chance to read what has been posted. I'll be jumping around a bit.

Margaret, I love those sandals. I'm having an awful time finding comfortable shoes and sandals. For years, I couldn't even wear flats when I had something between the toes. Right now, I do very well with that, but that is only good during the summer, and for casual outfits.

I wore my new BOC clog like shoes to the Parade of Homes. It is an event that showcases a new development where you get to tour brand new, fully staged homes. Most have every option and feature you could dream of. We love seeing it all, even if it is out of reach. That being said, you do a lot of walking, and my bunions are killing me. At least, I think that is my issue - bunions. A long time ago, my doctor said the pain I was experiencing was likely bunions and they often re-occur after being removed, so I haven't pursued the issue.

I think the shoes will be okay once broken in. We stopped at our larger than life mall too, because my daughter works there and wanted us to see a dress she was hoping I'd pick up for her. That created a lot of walking too. We didn't really go anywhere else, just to Dressbarn. I picked up this cute sweater, which should be great with the weather cooling off now.

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/cabled-tie-front-cardigan/101551181/649

It's listed as blood orange, but it looked very much like brick red to me...a great red for us.

I cannot wear ballet flats either, Anita. They actually make my feet throb where those bunions are!

Margaret, I love seeing your pictures you post. I love that last dress too, and I'm on the fence about the lizard. I like interesting things, but I think that a lot of people cringe at snakes, lizards, frogs...so I'm not really keen on them as an adornment to an outfit.

I look forward to wearing my starfish necklace on the cruise though. It's too late in the season for me to wear it here in NY, but it will be great for next summer.

The green coat is great, Margaret. I'd love to find one like that!

I want to share this link with everyone:

Quiz for Bra Selection

On a recent visit to the site, I found this quiz...I took the quiz and it was so interesting...I just have to share. The entire site has good information...but this quiz is a guided self analysis that will have you looking in the mirror and really getting to know yourself in a whole new way. At the end, you will receive a coupon that expires in 2 weeks. The summary at the end will have a list of the characteristics that you report. Each characteristic on this list is a link that will bring up a new frame that will have different styles of bras that are supposed to be good for those with that characteristic.

It's a great bit of information and I can just about guarantee that you will not look at bras the same way again.

And now I know that I will need to spend some time cross-referencing some of the most important and impactful characteristics that make bra shopping a nightmare for myself. LOL! And hopefully, this experience will improve on this process!

Also...the site itself is really cool. They do their best to help you know if the bra you are considering would work for you. You can see the bra under different styles of shirts/necklines. They put this sheer shirt over the bra...a manikin is wearing these combos. It's very interesting!

Just wanted to share with all you lovely ladies! 'Tis the season!

Laurie, cute orange sweater :) awesome color.

That quiz for bra selection was enlightening, but depressing. I have a favorite bra style, it took me a looooong time to find it, but once I did I've been very happy. The right bra can take 10 pounds off how you look, easily.

I'm thinking about this jacket... I love the color combo, just not sure how/if it would fit into my daily life. The length is perfect for me, though.

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/40085/400138/Glen-Plaid-Blazer?kpid=40085%20BWM%2004&gclid=CPeLzfH_1bkCFQFk7AodMXAAKg

Shout out to Pam, again, for the necklace chart. I was able to zoom in on the right necklace for a blouse without having to take the time to go through all the possible options first. Yay.

And a cute dress for our FIRE friends:

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=11735&categoryid=9999

:eek:

That is Such. A. GREAT. Color! Oh, I wish I had time to order it. That color is so hard for us to find. How did you do that? It's called Medium Warm Violet on our color cards from CJW. Hmmm, I put it into my shopping cart and I'm going to see what the shipping is like. It's in my size!

Oh, I just can't chance it. The shipping is a bit too much for expediting. Well, it's half the price of the dress! LOL. And the return policy just won't work with my upcoming trip. But, if this dress is still there in November? No, it won't be because there's only a few sizes left. I think it was a good seller.

OK, Margaret, thanks for that bit of excitement in my life! :p (in a playful way).

Oh wow! I'll second the THANK YOU, Margaret. Not only does it clarify the Medium Warm Violet for me and make me contemplate whether I need another dress in my wardrobe, but it helps me decide that the jacket I picked up this week is actually NOT a fire purple. I've said it before, but I have trouble deciding our purple because I love all purples. I must step away from the purple most times, because that color is so hard for us to find (like Pam said!)

I guess now I know why I was always drawn to the Magenta crayon in the 64 box!

That Chico's V-neck is nice. I had a couple of those a long while back. Unfortunately, mine did shrink in the length eventually to the point that I would put them on to wear...take them right off again because I didn't like the length and the way they looked...I extended their life by layering them with a cami underneath so that the underlayer was at least right where I wanted it to be...and when they were ridiculously big, I gave them away.

I know that they ended up in the dryer several times...Jane, you ever have this problem? They are 100% cotton, and cotton tends to shrink in the length if it shrinks...

{{{SNIP}}}}!

I actually haven't had problems with the Chico's 3/4 sleeve V or sweatheart necklines shrinking. I *did* have a V-neck elbow tee that has become somewhat mis-shapen from drying, but it was never really a favorite of mine. The elbow length short sleeves are a very bad look when you have a large bust. I usually roll the sleeve a bit to avoid that look.

Jane