All things EARTH...

Anita, I was looking for the teal color you mentioned, and from your post I was looking out for pants that had a coordinating top.

This isn't the color, but there were pants like this that had a long-sleeved T to match (I can't find the exact color on the website):

http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-women-s-ankle-pant-fit-3-assorted-colors/-/A-14296505#prodSlot=large_1_12

IMO that is too jewel-toned to be EARTH. Clear, not muted. Just a tad too bright.

They also have some work separates in a better color, but I didn't love that they had black in them:

http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-women-s-ponte-blazer-assorted-colors/-/A-14606594#prodSlot=medium_1_15

Colors on the Internet are so iffy. But, if these are they, these pants come in a nice warm dark red:

http://www.target.com/p/merona-women-s-ankle-ponte-pant-solids/-/A-14588122#prodSlot=medium_1_2

After trying on 20 different things, I realize that the clothes there are really too long and narrow for me. If they fit in the shoulders, they're tight in the torso, and if I get it large enough to fit my torso, it's too long. I did get a nice brown tweed-like cardigan, so I was happy with my trip. I had one that was a work staple that got too big and too old, so I was really happy to fill that hole.

I have to say this has been a rough week. We haven't made any vacation plans at all for the next two years at least, and then things were starting to look good for a spring break cruise. But, DH had a big setback at work yesterday. So, instead of thinking about vacation, we're talking about tightening our budget, and he's very depressed and annoyed. It's not the worst thing in the world, obviously, and his job isn't in immediate danger, but I'm still really bummed. :(

Margaret, I'm sorry to hear about that. I often feel very fortunate that I am in the position I am. We have to be tight with our budget, but I've worked at the same place for 30 years, and my husband has been at his job for around 15. We will not have t relocate down the road either. It must be very difficult when things are not as secure.

I have trouble with any of the Mossimo bottoms at Target. They tend to fit me too snug in the thigh. I don't find a lot there, other than some casual knit tops. Since I have one close by and I like to shop there for other things, I do check and see what they have regularly.

I am almost ready with my outfits for the cruise. I know I have close to two months...at least I will be able to pack in minutes when the time comes!

Here is the outfit for the afternoon in Miami:

IMG_1833_zps7ee9bd93.jpg

This is the third night:

IMG_18301_zpsac48e37d.jpg

Here is an up close of the necklace:

IMG_18311_zps558081df.jpg

Here are two options for dinner the last night. This really growing on me right now:

IMG_1837_zps8065183a.jpg

IMG_1838_zps04dd92d7.jpg

No matter what though, my red dress always calls me, so I will need to make a choice. I really think my issue is with the jewelry. I think it is too matchy matchy and formal. I need to maybe choose something else?

IMG_1834_zps4623ab2d.jpg

IMG_1835_zps28898a6a.jpg

I'm open to ideas! All three cruise nights have the same shoes. I don't have a lot options, plus it makes packing easier anyway. Your thoughts?

This is what I think I will wear for embarkment. I know the picture is lousy. I am going to choose some bolder earrings instead of a necklace (gasp!) for this outfit. I am worried I'm adding some bulk to the upper part of my body that I don't need, but I do like the outfit a lot.

IMG_1843_zps14f80cfc.jpg

Here is another day time outfit:

IMG_1839_zps60f0873b.jpg

IMG_1840_zps8800a46a.jpg

I thought the necklace and earrings were so much fun! Starfish!

Here is another thought, instead of he green shirt, although I probably won't choose this. The green one is a much better choice. This might be to fire for me:

IMG_1841_zps8195e1f0.jpg

IMG_1842_zps29efcb54.jpg

I am still working on the other day. It will be shorts and a knit top, I know that much. We lounge in the shade a lot at Cococay!

Laurie, I have to say I'm loving all your outfits, and your Miami outfit looks perfect for a day in the city, classy and comfy at the same time. You have such a knack for jewelry! And those shoes are yummy.

That orange Evan Picone reminds me of my brown dress, very similar cut. I think the red dress is a little dressier, maybe? So really it's a choice between more/less dressy? I have to say for myself I would love to see you in the red. As for the jewelry for that dress, I think it's lovely but it doesn't have that uniqueness that your other pieces have (I'm comparing it to the gold one you have with your brown dress -- stunning). JMHO. It really suits the dress though and is very pretty. A hard call between those two choices.

I also like the green outfit because it's at the other end of the color spectrum from everything else you've chosen, so it's a nice surprise.

I just promised my parents I would fly out and drive them to Florida for the winter. Have I mentioned that I HATE car trips? I have really bad travel juju this week!

While I’m wading through the September Vogue, which doesn’t seem promising because of all the black, here are some pictures to entertain us.

First, two nice red outfits from Anne Klein. I particularly like the champagne/red combo in the first one.

AKredsuit.jpg

AKreddress.jpg

Here is the same model in what I think is a mostly FIRE outfit? Doesn’t she just glow compared to the two previous pictures?

Ralphfire.jpg[/size][/font]

This picture was very enlightening for me, because most pictures and store displays of EARTH purple pair it with black, and a chocolate brown pant just doesn’t seem to work. The more neutral pant with the turquoise shoes was an eye-opener!

a>

This is just because I love Natalie Portman, she is so talented and pretty.

Diororange.jpg

The Eva Mendes collection for NY & Co. looks promising.

EvaMendesNY.jpg

Edited by MJC
fix photos

This is the season for some awesome EARTH handbags. You know I love Coach, and the recent ad had me drooling and thinking about my upcoming anniversary gift. J

Coach.jpg

Vince Camuto:

CamutoShoe.jpg

Ivanka Trump, believe it or not:

Ivankapurse.jpg

Dooney & Burke:

DampBpurse.jpg

Margaret, thank you. The sandals I'm wearing with the Miami dress (that is what I call it now, lol) are a more or less a microwedge style, and very comfortable. They just seemed to work really good with the dress for me, and I didn't want to end up with sore feet.

I agree about the differences between the ginger and red dress. One of the things about jewelry for me is to try to pick something that works, but something that is unexpected or unique. That jewelry that I am showing with the dress works, but it isn't really what I had in mind. I wore this dress on Valentine's Day for my last cruise with this jewelry, and we had dinner at one of specialty restaurants. I was fine with that, but it isn't quite what I want. I have some ideas in my head, but I am going to start with looking at what I currently have in my jewelry box. As silly as it sounds, the right jewelry will have me bringing my red dress.

I like the green top a lot too. It is one of my favorite colors to wear and it looks really cute with the ivory skirt. The style also works better with the skirt as well.

I like road trips, although it seems we don't take them very much. I think we'd be much more impromptu if gas prices weren't so high. So you are going to fly to meet your parents, drive them to Florida, then fly back? Will you spend any time in Florida while you are there?

Margaret, I love the Dooney and Burke handbag. All of them are really pretty, with great colors for us. We took a ride to the outlet mall in Waterloo today, and much to my surprise the VanHeusen store had some great handbags, and great prices. We had certain stores on our list to go to, so we didn't get to much else on this trip. Maybe we will go back sometime soon.

I go to NY & Co. all the time, so I plan to check out the new collection. I got an ad in the mail the other day, and it seems to have some great animal prints and vintage like jewelry. I just know I'm going to be checking those items out! By the way, that beige and coral print shirt and the solid coral shirt are both from NY & Co. I do like the store a lot, but it is hit or miss. I can go in there and spend a fortune, or walk out and not like a thing. They love ice colors overall.

I couldn't see the picture of Natalie Portman. I know that CC has some issues with pictures and links sometimes, so I will have to check back.

Natalie Portman doesn't always wear the right colors, but when she does...wow! I remember when she was expecting her baby, and wore that wonderful, warm purple dress. It was what made me want to find the right shade of purple!

I liked the purple with the brown, by the way. What I like to do is my own sort of color blocking. Since we hardly ever see color block in earth tones, I would take the outfit that we see, and add a gold scarf to it, perhaps.

It does seem that the model in those pictures does look better in the 3rd photo. The first two are making her look washed out. I always say that if you are an earth, you 2nd best color group is fire, and vice versa. However, it doesn't work that will in this case.

Laurie...nice outfits! I agree with Margaret...I like the green shirt better. It is more of a new color to introduce to your travel wardrobe. I bet you would enjoy the change! And I have to say it...I just don't care for the jewelry with the red dress. IDK...I don't know if it is because it is too matchy? I think that's it though? There was an era where jewelry matched like that...and the women would wear all those pieces...It's like you could pick ONE of those pieces and find something complementary? Instead of a focal point, you have a chorus? I'd love to see what else you have in mind because I think that you have a good eye for the whole jewelry thing.

I love the fact that you are wearing the same shoes with all your dresses. I think that is the major benefit of dressing in a palette and if you can find that comfortable enough pair (because seriously...you can never find a pair of shoes like that so that you can honestly say...oh these are SO COMFY...LOL)...then wear them again and again.

Margaret...I just love it when you share the photos. I agree that the model must be FIRE. I wish we could see the shoes for the model with the dress outfit. I find it interesting that she has the column dressing going on with the matching tights and dress and the accent piece on the jacket. I personally don't love the lighter colored jacket on top of the darker column? I think I would enjoy a different background on a print or other non-solid look for the accent piece? But I'm really curious about the shoes. I'm in a shoe phase right now...and eager to see what people where in the cold weather with their dresses/skirts especially.

I'm not much of a handbag person? I think it's because I drive and have my car. I keep a lot of things in my car so that they are available to me, but I don't have to carry them. I imagine in an urban setting that a handbag would be an absolute necessity. I think these though. I have slouchy patterned totes that I use when I am shopping (I bring my own socks, things I am trying to match, etc., water...) but I really like the structure of these bags in the photos.

And I LOVE the purple and brown with the blue shoes! WOW...that is fun. And the accent on the cuffs instead of the neckline? I LOVE that shirt. Very nice. I have shirts that have that collar detail...but I haven't seen the cuff detail before and I am really attracted to that a lot.

So I went to the mall today. OMG. Such a great mall!! We went back to that one mall that DH and I hit last Friday but only went to Dillards then. Today we walked all over the mall...great stores! Oh, I had so much fun. It was raining all today, so perfect for some indoor activity. I saw a new department store that I've never seen before called Von Maur. And OMG...I hit the motherload for having expensive taste. There is a FABULOUS jacket in this label called Buchanan & Kang. WOW. Check this out...IRL it's a great avocado/army/olive green:

bk-fall-preview-06.jpg

This jacket was $475!! OMG! Insane. It wasn't even lined!

I went through my closet and took a good look at my clothes, especially at my bottoms and I believe I have a decent wardrobe...if I could just fit back into it. I think I need to work on my accessories. I saw some great scarves. The price is too much IMO for what the ones I really like are. Just a piece of fabric really. For $50? I don't think so. My favorite style is the infinity style...I told Mom that it feel like you are just adding a collar to an otherwise collarless knit shirt. I was in J.Jill (a lot of good EARTH in there right now!) and they had a KNIT infinity scarf. So surprising. What a great casual idea!

I did see this skirt that I thought was beautiful:

48671033980_lg.jpg

http://www.ardenb.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=134&subCategoryId=1637&productId=70402

If you can't tell...this skirt is sheer with a modesty knit mini/pencil underneath. There are extra layers that flutter. I've been spending a lot of time in the fabric store lately...and they have so many sheer fabrics and I'm wondering what people make with them? This is a fun skirt! I just might have to try to make something like this.

OT...I recently unpacked a box that has been packed for about 27 years. There were two chandeliers in this box...which was packed from my Grandmother's estate. We took down the dining room and master bedroom chandeliers. Both are very pretty...well the dining room one is flat out gorgeous with all the crystal. Anyway...I'm installing a swag light kit onto the brass and glass bedroom chandelier and putting it in my front room which is a mix of library/music room/sewing room. I think of it as my lady's parlor. This chandelier will hang over the table in there. I'm very excited about this. It's making me want to spend more time in that room and so I am getting more and more excited about my projects and working on them in that room.

Hey Margaret...will you drive through Atlanta?

Anita,

We have Von Maur in both Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne. I LOVE that store!!!! If you hit the right clearance sections at the right time--they have drop dead low prices. Same with their bras. I buy ONLY from the clearance sections and have gotten some really nice clothes at great prices, and, we all know I LOVE a great price :D They are also great about this--if you find something that you like and it doesn't fit, they will call other stores and find it and ship it to your house free of charge. That's helped me out way more than once. They only problem is, is that sometimes the really low priced items are very low in stock and sometimes they can't find them at other stores. But, there's always the chance and I have gotten some things like that more than a few times. Just FYI :)

48671033980_lg.jpg

This skirt looks a little FIREY to me (minus the white). Is it more muted IRL? I've found a similar pattern on a top that I just got, they also had a dress in the very same pattern. I'll post photos on the FIRE thread.

Edited by Joby

That skirt was muted IRL...IMO. I could picture so many different shirts I own with this skirt. BUT...the fabric is sheer and I don't recall what color the underskirt is? If you look at the picture, the top of the skirt which is over the underskirt definitely looks more saturated with color than the bottom portion of the skirt. Therefore...I am of the opinion that this skirt could swing both ways...especially as a bottom, KWIM? Funny how I didn't even notice the white...IRL because the skirt is sheer, the white doesn't seem to show up as much? It becomes more neutral? What I recall about the skirt is the brown/orange watercolor effect...I was thinking that I could pair this skirt with everything from orange through rust to brown...and also...if there could be the right teal kind of color? There's a highlight in the skirt...it would be very tribal looking/inspired to pair teal with orange but I think the right color would work well...maybe even a scarf in the right blue/teal? With a nice orange shirt? I might have to watch for this one to go on sale...

I hear you about the clearance racks at Von Maur. EXCELLENT prices on excellent brands.

Anita, we don't have that store here at our mall, but they are really bringing in a ton of smaller, designer stores. So far, there hasn't been anything that has opened that is very exciting, but the BCBG Max Azria store is beautiful. They have great sales. I bought each of my daughters a dress there not too long ago. One was originally $138.00 and the other was very close, but a bit less. I am thinking it was $124.00. I got them each for $24.00. Really classy looking too. They don't carry my size though, which is common with designer stores. I wear a 12 in pants, and a 16 on top, so it is a bit tricky. Most dresses I can get in a 16 and be just fine. Anyway, I didn't see anything in the store over a size 10. I will post pictures when I have a moment. The colors are not necessarily the best for them, but at their ages, I just get excited when they avoid black and white, lol.

And my red dress...if that is what I go with, I'm changing the jewelry completely. In my mind, I know it is the main thing that keeps me from wanting to bring it. All that matching stuff adds additional formality that I don't want. it's dressy, and that is okay with me but I'm not getting the feel I want from the jewelry.

I have one other day to plan some daytime clothes for, and I am thinking about what you both said about the green shirt/ivory skirt outfit. I think I should grab something that feels fresh and different. I have purple shorts that I can wear with a purple knit shirt that may be just right. The shorts do feel a bit shorter than my ideal length though. Maybe I will take a picture of the outfit on. Another thought is my khaki shorts with a purple top, perhaps. I love that working with a color palette, you can mix and match so much easier.

Laurie, such pretty girls, and those dresses are a great buy. I have a few Max Azria things in smaller sizes that I'm hoping to get into at some point.

Yes, Anita, I WILL be driving through/around Atlanta. Sometime on Monday, December 16th I think. We should have lunch or coffee or something! I will have to figure out our timeline.

Here is one of my favorite dresses from the Emmys. I didn't know who she was, I had to Google her. I am hoping CJW does his website photos soon.

lindacardellini.jpg.f56884ed2db12616c36a69907f1395e0.jpg

Lands End has a beautiful new color called Tidewater:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-long-sleeve-fine-gauge-supima-picot-v-neck-sweater/id_257404

I think it may be our EARTH turquoise. This top also comes in a great orange, Copper Heather.

I'm on the fence about Purple Beet:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-elbow-sleeve-lightweight-cotton-modal-crossover-top/id_246191

It may be one of those in-between EARTH and FIRE colors?

Margaret, those colors look good. That dusty aqua type color - I just got a sweater from Dress Barn in that color, and I love it. That copper orange color was great too.

The purple looked right on my monitor. I think that you are right, it could be a color that will work well for both fire and earth.

I thought it was really great that my daughters saw these dresses and were interested in them. So many times, kids their age wear whatever everyone else is wearing. With these, they seem somewhat timeless to me. My younger daughter (in the orange dress) also tried on an aqua one shoulder dress that was cute. It was blousy on top, pencil like on the bottom with a long sleeve. It was definitely a fire color, and she just didn't like the color on. If they had it in something different, I think she would have grabbed it.

I understand that they are trying to get rid of overstock, and they still have a sale going on. We will have to check that out. I wish they carried my size, some of the dresses are styles I would wear.

The nice thing about those two dresses is that, even though timeless, they are still fun and age appropriate. When they look at pictures of themselves down the road they won't think they look silly and trendy.

Since I don't shop at Barney's I haven't heard of this designer, but here is one of her beautiful but expensive totes:

http://www.lyst.com/bags/sophie-hulme-large-leather-tote-bag-with-goldplate-hardware/

I'm like a magpie sometimes, drawn to shiny things. :)

Anita, we recently went to a wedding and saw so many of those sheer skirts with a shorter underskirt. Definitely a hot trend right now. I was watching Project Runway last night and one of the dresses had a fluttery effect on the back, and watching it walk the runway was a beautiful thing. Sometimes when we just look at photos we forget that clothes are not static.

Right, Margaret. And you know what else we tend to forget is all the adjustments that we make in clothes that don't fit us properly. I can't tell you the number of times I've been drawn to a woman in a beautiful dress who has to fidget with it all during dinner... it's the constant adjustment of the strapless area of the dress with the pulling up of a bra that doesn't fit properly so she's having to adjust all the time... or flick her bra straps back beneath her shoulder strap, constantly, or adjust the skirt every time she stands. It's so distracting and, of course, just draws more attention to the problem. It's so hard to find clothes that don't have some sort of little problem with them, isn't it? I figured out years ago that I can't wear a high neckline because I'll adjust it constantly... just constantly pulling on the fabric to get it away from my neck. Which is why I know that I'll never embrace the idea of wearing a scarf; it's just psychologically suffocating to me. Flowing skirts... love that look.

I think the Land's End colors are worth checking out. For me, the purple is just a Photoshop change on a single picture and I find that very difficult to determine...not that anything online is easy. *sigh*

I had a ladies date today! So very fun. One of the Brits was taken to a great clothing consignment shop and after talking about this and the latest restaurant she found...we all decided to meet at the shop and then have lunch together afterward. So now, I can officially say that I've been shopping with some ladies recently! Today, even.

I'm not familiar with consignment shopping for clothing. This store was wonderful. The pricing structure is graduated; each tag has 3 prices based on the date of arrival of the particular item. The longer it stays in the store...the cheaper it is. This store doesn't accept lesser brands (Kohls, Target, WalMart, teeny bopper brands, etc.) but only accepts women's level labels that does include Chicos, Coldwater Creek, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, Ann Loft, etc etc.

I picked up two lovely items to help transition into fall. The first is a 3/4 sleeve bolero sweater in a fabulous fall print. The second is a sheer cap sleeve blouse (with buttons even!) in another lovely fall print. This will definitely help me extend my tanks and camis into the cooler but not cold weather...I'm very excited by this. I haven't necessarily heard of the brands before...Kate Hill and Cupio. Whatever. It doesn't really matter. I'll have to play with them and post pictures. I spent $15. :eek::D

Laurie...those dresses are lovely. Your girls should have a lot of fun with those. I love the fact that they are going for color and not just black.

As for designers not designing in larger sizes... I read a story about one store that flat out said that they catered to the smaller sizes and that they didn't want their customers to ever worry about a larger, and likely unattractive, person wearing the same clothes that they, a thinner, and likely more attractive person, were wearing. The designer said that he only wanted beautiful people to wear his clothing. :rolleyes: The fact is that the vanity sizing of today is just that...since I'm getting back into my sewing, I'm getting to see the sizing that hasn't really changed over the years...and it's a bit sad for me...because I lack the right proportions and my waist is so much larger than it should be for so many designs, I have to modify a size 20 for certain items. Talk about a kick to the ego.

OH! And the restaurant we ate at? It's owned and run by a man that used to be a body guard in the entertainment industry. He's Italian and originally from New York. Everyday he makes fresh mozzarella. OMG. He has special rolls baked especially for him and his restaurant. I had the sandwich roll with fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil and I added the hot peppers (chopped cherry peppers). And we shared the most fabulous cheesecake that I have ever eaten in my life. OMG. Thank God I have Zumba tonight. Speaking of...

I don't know, Anita. Depending upon how far back your reaching (into history) from the sewing patterns, you have to remember that ladies' foundation garments have come a long, long way... away... from that cinched-in middle achievable by corset tightening. Remember that the fainting couches that were a part of every lady's parlor were there because women's lungs were so constricted by their undergarments that they couldn't draw a proper breath and actually ended up, well, needing that couch for fainting purposes. So, I wouldn't worry that your waist is bigger than the ideal waist of women of yore.

Hey, they wanted everyone to be an hourglass, so they cinched and stuffed to achieve the feminine form. Remember Scarlet O'Hara and how she had to grab onto the bedpost in order for her nanny to pull the ribbons and tie her into her corset. Just so she could put on her flouncy petticoats so that her dress was so oversized (how did they learn to sit on a bustle?).. so that her waist would look even smaller? Then the nibbling at food because you simply couldn't breathe? Or, have I read too many romance novels and this is just rubbish? I can't remember when in history the bustles were so popular.

Did you see the history lesson on Lisa Eldridge's site? Amazing! Helena Rubinstein brought cosmetics to everyday women. She was the first to create mascara and it became popular for women other than actresses and <ahem> shady ladies to enhance their lashes! What a boon!

I don't know about a designer being so vain as to make that statement! Like I would even care what another women's size would be who would wear my same dress?!? I think it's interesting to see those comparison pictures in magazines like Style where they show two different people wearing the same dress and ask the question: who is wearing it better? It's not so much about the attractiveness of the person but how they have accessorized the dress with jewelry, shoes, tights, belts, scarves, etc. In some of those pictures (especially if the dress is a different color), I have to really look to even recognize that they are wearing the same dress! Good grief. We need to put all that nonsense way, way behind us... just leave it in the dust... who cares if someone shows up in the same dress? Does anyone here really care one bit? I'd be like: "hey, Sisterhood of the Traveling Dress! Way to go?!? I'd like to meet you cause I bet we have a lot in common." Or, if I approached her for a laugh or two, would she be offended? Now, I wonder...

I have some vintage dresses from the 50s that belonged to my mother and grandmother. The size 12s barely fit me when I was size 6-8, and then I had to wear a padded bra to fill out the top. Pam is right about foundation garments.

When I used to make costumes for my company I would buy patterns that I could adapt for the hard parts like constructed tops and jackets. They never corresponded size-wise to what was in the stores, even 15-20 years ago.

When I first moved to NY in the 80s, I worked for a bit in the garment district. Back then the fit models for all the fashion houses were size 8. Now they are size 4. Also, back then they used to call the models mannequins and hangers. That right there tells you how connected they are to real life people.

I recently talked about having fit troubles at Target. Today it was the same thing at Kohl's. Being self-critical about this is pointless, because not only do women come in all sizes and shapes, the clothes aren't even standard sizes within a brand, let alone from brand to brand or store to store (or season to season)! Ultimately, fit is way more important than the number. How many times to you see someone and think "that would look great if they just had one size up."

I once went to a New Year's party where my friend and I showed up in the same top. There were only 4 or 5 couples there. We all just laughed about it and then had more champagne. :)