All things EARTH...

I missed your post earlier Laurie! I would love to have you join me for laundry! ;) I, too, am learning to just deal with myself...and love myself in spite of myself, I guess. Things happen. It can be disappointing, but like you said, we have to love ourselves and in that, accept ourselves, as we are...and continue to seek improvement...but still...improve to be better, not to like ourselves in the first place. I'm all over that. Or, at least trying to be...

The wheels on the ottoman were a total bonus! We didn't even know there were wheels when we ordered, which made it that much better. The sofa/loveseat combo was pictured with a coffee table and end tables. So the room to go package was that...but we wanted the ottoman. So we walked all around the store to find the ottoman we wanted. We didn't even move it, just looked at it. So when it was delivered...BONUS!

And yes...I think about what it's like to come home after vacation...and I like to come home to a clean house. So...I do add that chore to my to do list...

It's all very exciting...I don't know if anyone can relate to the feeling. It's a bit nerve wracking as well because I feel like I am in charge, KWIM? Mom isn't the ones holding the reins and so I have more responsibility with regards to this vacation...it makes me a bit nervous!

Anita,

Your excitement for your vacation is so catching! It's making me really excited for my 4 days in Vegas next week (although two of the days involve driving to and from where we live to Vegas and back, which is about 4 hours each way).

We plan to leave our house at about 5a on Tues. so that we can do an early check-in and spend all day just hanging out. The DH only has a late afternoon meeting that day. Wednesday, I plan to shop at the Caesars Forum Shops and at the Fashion Mall, which is a huge complex with restaurants, spas, etc. right next door to Treasure Island, which is where we're staying. On Thursday, we'll do a breakfast buffet and a late check out. We plan to hit the Premier Outlets on the way back home. I want to get the DS some Nike golf shorts to surprise him with when we go visit him for "Parent's Weekend."

I'm planning on getting a mani/pedi on Monday. I'm thinking I'll go with Essie's "Wicked", which is a dark burgundy color. I've worn it before and I love it. It will go with the outfits I'm planning to wear in Vegas. I've got three outfits put together so far. One is a striped maxi skirt with a peasant blouse top. I also have another striped maxi skirt (it's a different style than the other one) that I'll wear with a long top and belt at the hip. Finally, I have a really cute sweatshirt-style top that has 2" rows of sequins on it (it's not as flashy as it sounds) that I'll wear with a pair of white Capri pants and my white Puma sneakers for doing some mall walking (not for exercise but for shopping...LOL!). I still have a few more outfits to put together.

I too like to leave my house clean before I go on any vacation no matter the length. I make sure the kitchen is spotless. I also like to change all the sheets in the bedrooms so that when we come back it will be really nice to slip into a clean, fresh bed. The DH makes sure all the trash in all the bathrooms and kitchen are thrown out and that the newspaper service is stopped until we return. We also, if we're gone for more than 4 days, will stop our mail service. I will also call our neighbor, who has a key to our house, and let her know that we'll be gone so that she can keep an eye out. This time of year is fire hazard season up in the mountains. Our neighbor knows if we're not here where the four things to grab for us in case of a fire are. You have to be organized in case of a fire at all times during the fire hazard season.

Well that's about it for now. I'm off to put together some more outfits for the trip. I envy the DH just having to pack some shirts and pants, and a swimsuit. Although I do enjoy putting my outfits together.

Edited by mousey

mousey...I totally forgot you were going to Vegas! That is the one place that we would go to occasionally when Mom and Dad would actually take a vacation. We would drive from the Bay Area. It wasn't too bad...but that stretch of highway across the dessert is BORING...OMG. Your departure time is like mine...our good family friend calls that o'dark thirty...doesn't matter if it's not half past. ;)

I looked up Essie's Wicked and it's beautiful...I love that deep color. That's the burgundy to the blue that I'm putting on!

All my clothes are laying out on my bed...rolled or folded. I actually ironed a lot of my clothes! Mark the day. The big thing was for me to figure out my travel outfit. Want to be comfortable but look nice. I don't want to feel pressured to change early because I am SO comfortable that I don't want to take or be in any pictures...so here it is:

P1090484_zpsb24302f7.jpg

Going to wear my new chocolate brown sandals. The shorts are golf shorts...pockets! One with a zipper! The shirt is a Goodwill find. I don't normally like wearing short sleeves...this shirt is the kind where there is only a front panel and a back panel, not separate sleeves...and the fabric moves better for me...any other busty ladies suffer from the wrinkles above the bust that result when you lift your arms? Lift your arms, shirt rides up, then gets caught on the girls and won't go back down without a tug. This shirt doesn't have that problem...so I can stand to where it.

I'm going to have my big sun hat on hand. I know I won't have sunscreen on hand...I don't know if we will get caught in the sun at the port or walking around the ship...so hat...and covered shoulders.

Mostly...LOL!

I haven't packed my toiletries...or my jewelry. I anticipate that the toiletries will be somewhat all together...DH's, DS's, and mine. Some of us use the same products (i.e. contact lens solution) and so it makes sense to wait and put everything in big waterproof bags.

I usually don't let my jewelry out of my possession...so that will be in my carry on.

Clothes and most shoes are packed though!

Almost all of this went into the suitcase:

P1090485_zps02b415b8.jpg

On the long side for bundling:

• New Palm Print dress
  • Purple swim suit cover up (I wore this on a previous cruise...)
  • Chocolate Brown Cargo Capris
  • Tan Cargo Capris

Front the top down in rolls:

• The blue/brown/gray grouping is my exercise clothing, super lightweight capris (gray) and the two tank tops.
  • The big gray bundle with the black and gray are my pajamas and bras.
  • The big yellow bundle with the white are my swim suits and LS rash guard. (the yellow is the lining of my swim suit.)
  • Now there are a bunch of small rolls of my shirts:
    • blue knit tee
    • brown/blue sparkly sleeveless with the tie
    • brown cami to wear under the above
    • light green flutter sleeve
    • brown/blue circle print top
    • red animal print draped neckline blouse

[*]And to the right of these...the orange/blue roll is my other dress

On the left side are my shoes:

• Bright orange exercise/walking shoes (with socks waiting to be stuffed inside)
  • Tevas
  • Orange sandals
  • Tan t-strap sandals
  • And my underwear rolls.

My suitcase has the annoying ridges on the bottom from the retractable handle...so I fill those with my exercise clothes, rash guard, and underwear rolls to make it flat.

P1090486_zpse1c8fb18.jpg

May not look flat...but it is mostly flat. Lay my longs across the flat bottom with the ends out the sides and then place the big swim suit and pajama/bra bundle on that:

P1090487_zps427e820f.jpg

Mom was told once that it is really hard on your bras to fold them in half at the bridge. Keep them flat if at all possible. Ever since then, we have been trying to do this. I lay all the bars stacked on top of each other. I put that stack on the bra part of my new pajama cami (which has headlight dimming lining) and rolled the cami top around the bras to make a nice bundle/roll. In essence, I did the same with the swim suits, which are bra cup swim suits with built in underwire and lined bras. I have a one piece and a two piece. Lay them down together and roll it all up. I did find that the stacks with the attached bra clothing were easier to manage if I turned the clothing inside out.

Then I laid my shirts and the one dress in mostly one layer...all these rolls are jersey or knit fabrics. They roll great.

P1090488_zps0e15248a.jpg

I had decided to not pack my rather odorous sneakers and Tevas into this bag. I bagged up the flat sandals in a large storage bag. The white bag has hair tools (brush, blow dryer round brush combo thing, clips and headbands).

P1090490_zps6e5dd063.jpg

I also filled in the layer with plastic bags full of feminine supplies...which I hope to not need...BUT...

And that's it! I'm leaving this bag as is until I close it to load it in the car. Nothing is compressed. I did a test run on closing it. It should travel great.

So jewelry gathering. Electronic gathering (Kindle, iPod, Camera, chargers, etc.). Exercise gathering (yoga mats, roller of pain, rope for stretching help). Beach supplies (collapsible cooler, Nalgene bottles, goggles, etc.).

This is where I normally am on the day before leaving. And I'm so excited that I still have a whole day for packing/prepping!!

I have selected my jewelry...I don't know that I will wear everything here...Somethings I bring because a couple different earrings could work and I can see what I feel like wearing on the day of...

This is the outside of my jewelry roll under some of it:

P1090491_zps520d99d3.jpg

From left to right...mostly:

Rust colored bead stretch bracelets. There are 4. Usually, I just wear the thinnest one. The bigger ones are all different shapes of beads...and they can clang and clack...and sometimes, that bugs me...we'll see. They go with a lot. (Gift from Mom and Dad)

Amber bead necklace. I plan to wear this with the blue with orange accent dress. (Inherited from Mom when she figured out Fire...I think they were my Grandmother's on Dad's side).

Rust/bronze/green thin strands of beads with the pendant (Hand me down from Mom when she figured Fire)...this is probably my favorite necklace. It goes with a so many of my clothes. I can wear it with either the square amber earrings (gift from Mom and Dad) within the circle or the oval amber earrings (Inherited from Mom, also Grandmother's) to the right.

Two pairs of small earrings under that necklace. Not too big diamond studs (gift from DH) and triangle shaped blue sapphires (gift from Mom and Dad).

Antique bronze hoops.

Green/Bronze beaded dangle earrings.

Back to the top...I'm not sure what the brown is in the dangle earrings. It can be hard to see the red stud at the top where the post is. I plan to wear these with the red animal print draped neckline shirt.

There are two long necklaces...the left is blue topaz. DH gave it to me with the matching earrings for Christmas one year. They are set in silver...but the chain pretty much disappears when I wear it...it is very dainty. The right one is a gold chain that I inherited that normally has a big ole crystal strawberry pendant. (I have no idea what to wear that with...Laurie, I keep meaning to ask your opinion! So I have just the chain here.) The chain might go well with the brown earrings.

The big chunky necklace is one I like, but I never seem to wear. It kind of bugs me? So I take it off. It goes well with that palm dress and at least one shirt...so I'm bringing it. We'll see.

The hoops with purple/bronze/green kind of abalone shell like coins...shiny on one side...dull on the other.

Back to the top...this is my workout jewelry. I wear the cord necklace with the pendant. I think it's a Caribbean Island...Mom gave it to me. The circle earrings are gold with a silver Zumba logo on the gold circle.

The chain necklace is an amethyst surrounded by diamonds. The chain is a box chain (love it). (Gift from DH after college Graduation).

Gold hoops.

The flower shaped beaded bracelet in green/gold/purple is my souvenir from Belize on my 40th birthday celebration cruise.

So...I only purchased seven items out of the 20 items here (grouping the bracelets). The gifts from Mom and Dad were usually given to me on the holidays following their cruises...or simply from them as a fun gift following their fun travels. A couple items were EARTH, not FIRE, so Mom passed them on to me. Many things that I am not taking were things she inherited from Grandmother (Dad's Mom). The gifts from DH have been over the years. We met and started dating about 23 years ago.

I am not taking 3 of my favorite pieces of jewelry. I just can't stand the thought of losing them. Losing many things posted here would be very sad...but losing my 3 favs would forever taint the memory and absolutely wreck my vacation...so at home:

1. My wedding ring, previously described.

2. My high school graduation ring gift from Mom...there is my birthstone (Aquamarine), her birthstone (Emerald), and a diamond to represent the strength and endurance of the relationship.

3. My Grandmother's charm bracelet...there is a coin that has the names of all the children in Dad's family at Dad's generation, including a coin for my Dad. I believe the bracelet was actually a gift for Grandmother's Mother...and she inherited it. It is a gold bracelet...but the gold isn't terribly shiny...I don't know if this is age? Or why...I love it. And the sound of it doesn't bother me.

Anyway...the jewelry roll has two big pockets. One with a zipper. I have separate means to pack the jewelry and then put those in the green roll. This is a carry on item for me.

Gorgeous outfits! Great pack job too! Love the combos. I'm Kamloop's wife btw, he is the usual one posting on the boards but once in a while I come by and enjoy this forum.

I really like what you are doing with this thread. So much visual info. Fun.:)

Hey Kamploop's wife! Thank you! We have a lot of fun on this thread!

Anita,

I am so impressed! You sure got a lot in that one carryon. I just don't know if I could do it. You're going on a 7-dayer and I'm just going to Vegas for 4 and I'm taking a medium-sized suitcase and large tote bag.:eek:

You totally rock!

I love all your choices and can't wait to see pics of you on vacation in them. I sure hope you and the guys have an amazing cruise.:D I'm just pea green with envy thinking of you on the private island. I so love swimming in the water there. I'll be thinking of you when we're on the read knowing that you'll be on the road too. Each of us off to new adventures! How fun!

Hey mousey...it's just a 5 nighter! So...6 days, I guess. LOL...

Keep in mind...there is more of my stuff going into another suitcase...toiletries, those 2 pairs of shoes...IDK what else yet...we have a big bruiser of a suitcase...HUGE...so big that we rarely can take it for air travel because it is so easy to pack it to capacity and have it weigh WAY more than 50 pounds...

Documenting this is fun for me...I hope it isn't too boring. I think it'll be so helpful to refer back here for Spring Break!

Hmmmm....just saw on my roll call that we are expecting rain for Nassau. Turns out we are expecting some rain for embarkation and the first couple days of our cruise. This doesn't really change my clothing...I'm happy, but might change my shoes. I don't want my new sandals to get wet...that T-shirt material...I don't think it would dry quickly...so I might be bring ANOTHER pair of shoes...LOL. I have a cute pair of Jambu water shoes...I think they just made the cut...

Toes are painted and fabulous!

DS' clothing is all picked out. I'll pack him up while he's at school tomorrow...

Tomorrow is off Friday for DH so we will be able to get much done. I'm only concerned with the chores that rely on someone else's schedule. We do need to get an oil change before we hit the road...

Anita, wow, what a packing job! I hope you have an amazing time. Your clothing choices seem like they are designed for fun days.

mousey, will this week's flooding in Vegas been an issue for you? I thought of you when I saw it on the news.

I'm just back from Sally's neck of the woods, since I had to go down to FL and deal with some of my parents things there. It was HOT! I did make time for a walk on my favorite beach and a dip in the ocean. It was lovely but it made me lonely for DH and all the things we usually do together there. I also think the condos there conspire to give really bad wifi to keep us all out spending our money -- I have yet to be able to use the internet at any one of them. BTW Anita we had rain forecast for every afternoon, and aside from a brief sprinkle it was hot and sunny. It's just that time of year. You might as well toss a coin as rely on the forecast.

I typed this nice long post last Sunday and lost it. So frustrating. I'll try to recreate it this weekend. Laurie, I just had to buy the giant InStyle you mentioned, and it is fun!

Margaret,

No, I don't think the recent flooding will affect our trip. The roads are open going from our neck of the woods to Vegas. It's the other way that the roads are all broken up.

Also, we won't be doing much outside of going from one hotel to another and for me I'll be going to the huge shopping complex. All these things are done by a connecting tram or walking bridges so we won't even be outside (except by our hotel's pool) very much. Our hotel is centrally located so that's a good thing. Most of the DH's meetings are at the Wynn hotel which is across the street from ours.

I went to get the Style Statement book at Barnes and Noble today and they don't carry it. I'll have to go onto Amazon and see if I can pick one up. Dang, I really wanted to take it with me to Vegas. Oh well, I'll take it with me to FL. instead.

Anita,

That's right, I forgot that your cruise is 5 days. It's the same exact one we took about three years ago. We had a great time and hope you do too.:D

I wouldn't worry too much about the rain. This time of year it will rain for a short time and then be over with. But I think it's a great idea to take another pair of shoes so as not to get your new ones wet. I agree with Margaret about relying on weather reports. They aren't all that reliable is my personal experience. Then again, it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Hello everyone! I hesitated to post as I was struggling to take and post pictures of dresses/shoes but I will need the help of an adult child for this...Our cruise leaves sunday from NYC to Quebec and I am very excited. The need for layers and trying to fit it all into a carryon and 25in suitcase has been quite the process. Anyway, I hope that Anita and Mousey enjoy your trips. Anita your choices sound and look great,really impressive. I looked at my piles of more muted EARTHY colors and felt good!

Mousey, I had to buy a used Style Statement book-some pages cut out etc. I am finding the process very difficult and can only "do"a little at a time.

I am also struggling with the death of my beloved dog on monday. Not unexpected but so sad .

I promise pictures!! Terry

Anita , We have had rain forecast every day and so far only a brief shower at night .

Margaret , It is hot here this summer . I can not wait till October when it will hopefully cool down.

Mousey , I bought the style statement book from Amazon . It was inexpensive and arrived pretty quickly .

Smitty , We took a new England cruise three years ago . It was one of my favorites .

Thank you Ladies for the reminders about the weather! I know how the rain forecasts go from living in Houston...and Florida is similar...but I needed that reminder! It just makes me think that we could be dealing with some significant humidity!

It is 80% chance of rain for Nassau though...that's pretty significant. I don't think that will slow us down. We deal. We were planning to see the sites anyways...so being in the rain wouldn't be a big deal. We have a stash of emergency ponchos that I bought long ago for trips to Disney...they are small, pack well, and disposable. Must remember to bring them for Nassau...

Terry...I didn't remember your travel plans! You must be so excited! We are right there together!

To post photos...you CAN upload them to the boards....I think there is an attach button or something...BUT I don't recommend this. First, the pictures are small...and we like bigger pictures. LOL. Second, and more importantly, if ever you want to remove your photos from the boards, I don't know if you can if you upload them here. So what you want to do is get a free account with some sort of online photo storage site, like Photobucket (there are tons to choose from, I've just had Photobucket for years now), and upload your photos to that site. That site will give your photo an address to reference. To reference the photo in your post, in the Reply to Thread Screen, click on the icon that has the mountains and the moon. A pop up box will appear with a prompt for an http address. Paste your photos reference address here and click OK. Now your photo will be between [] that include the html code IMG.

If you'd like to see what your post looks like before posting to make sure that the photos come through the way you like, click Preview Post.

Some things to note:

Check out the privacy settings for the albums in your free account. Usually, you can make the albums private, public, or password protected. This is your choice.

You should be able to set the size of the photos when you upload. Check it out and pick a default setting that is for a message board or forum. Then, when you upload the photos, they should be resized to a good size for when you post here.

I hope that makes sense!

We are in the process of packing the men...and gathering STUFF! LOL. The oil change is done!

Edited to add...Terry...so sorry to read about your beloved furry family member. You know we just went through the same thing with our Toby kitty. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Edited by Anita Latte

Terry,

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. :(

I hope you have an awesome cruise

Also, thanks for the tip...I am going to order the Style Statement book from Amazon later on today. I hope it arrives in time for me to take it to FL with me. It will give me something to do instead of just sitting and watching cowboy shows on TV all day, which is what my dad loves to do ALL DAY LONG...EVERY DAY...LOL! I can sing the theme song to "Have Gun Will Travel" any time you'd like! LOL!:D

Edited by mousey

Egads!!!:eek:

Anita,

Check out the weather for Vegas! I'm also going to probably get some rain on my little vacay. I just hope it doesn't happen like last week when Vegas got flooded!:eek:

Guess I'll for sure be staying within the hotel and only going to Caesars and the Fashion Mall where there are a gazillion places to eat and shop. I won't have a problem with that at all! Just hope on Tues. we can hang out at the pool and not burn up in flames! I won't mind a little rain on the other days, I just don't want to experience the flood situation of recent days. I've got to get back home on Thurs. night so I can repack on Friday for FL (not that I need to take much and I've already laid out a few items to take) because I fly out on Sat.

I'm gonna have a great time no matter what in Vegas...but, I'll have to pack some shoes I don't mind getting wet if I do decide to step outside.

Tue

Sep 16

Sunny 101°

78°

Sunny

CHANCE OF RAIN:

0%

WIND:

SSE at 9 mph

Wed

Sep 17

Isolated T-Storms 95°

75°

Isolated T-Storms

CHANCE OF RAIN:

30%

WIND:

SE at 10 mph

Thu

Sep 18

Partly Cloudy 92°

72°

Partly Cloudy

CHANCE OF RAIN:

20%

WIND:

SE at 10 mph

Edited by mousey

Terry, pets give us such joy, if only for a short while, I'm sorry for your loss.

Rain? I'll take rain, this is what we have todayImageUploadedByForums1410557638.554432.jpg.c5757242d767367772549170730af1a5.jpg, yes, snow.

I spent the afternoon deciding what colors to take on our next cruise, sigh, not till March

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OMG Melody! WOW. DH went to high school in Colorado Springs! We have strong ties to Colorado...DH got a master's from CSU. We were married in Loveland and lived there for over 3 years. My Grandma still lives in Boulder...my uncle in Loveland. SIL taught at the Academy. DH's family has lived in and out of Colorado...

One year, we moved in October? I'm trying to remember...could have been September and there was 31 inches of snow on the weekend we moved! Such crazy weather...but it won't last...

mousey...those aren't a high percentage of rain...it shouldn't be that bad...and likely, it won't last.

My rain chances are down! It was 80% in Nassau for several days, but now it is down to 40% on the day we will be there! Woot woot!!

The bags are packed with all the clothes and they are in the trunk of the car! I unpacked my bag a bit to add some DH/DS clothing. We used a hanging bag for a lot of DH/DS shirts and shorts. (It's not full at all, but it'll just making unpacking and packing so much easier!) And our big bruiser of a bag has our sporting equipment, shoes, some toiletry items, and some rolled clothing.

Still need to pack toiletries and personal entertainment. The toiletries may be stashed in one of the bags in the car...OR we may carry on. IDK. Personal entertainment is relatively easy...

The kitchen is mostly done...

I have never been this prepared. This is nuts!

I'll have plenty of time to do my nails this evening! That's the last thing for me...relax with a drink and paint and wait to dry a bit and paint and wait to dry...etc.

Terry...have a fabulous trip. Please take photos and share them when you get back, if not before, if you are up to sharing the packing/planning. We call the sharing of photos a PICTODIARY...just snap a shot of yourself at some point in the day in your fabulous outfit...we all get to travel vicariously that way!

Don't get discouraged on the SS book. I think I reported that I had that thing for 3 YEARS! It was difficult for me...so I relate to what you said. Take your time...don't worry about it. Just do what you can when you can.

mousey...I want a pictodiary from YOU TOO! I want to see your trendy self in all your glory! Safe travels...have fun shopping!

I know this is corny but I think about all you ladies when I cruise! You'll be with me in spirit!

Gonna finish taking care of business and get to polishing my nails! :D

Wow, I missed so much on this thread in just one day! I've been a bit under the weather with an ear infection. Gosh, it's been years since I've had one. It was bad enough to go to the doctor's on Monday, and again today. Who would of thunk??!!??

Anyway, I love how you are so organized and ready for your trip, Anita! I love too that you are bringing jewelry. I love those great options that you have. Sometimes, I bring a few extra things and let my mood direct me. That one that you said was your favorite, I really love. You have some fantastic choices. I love the twisted strand necklace too.

I'm usually focused on necklaces, as you know, but I've been wearing more bracelets and rings. I tend to choose bangle bracelets, which I think would drive you nuts! Sometimes they drive me nuts too, then I look at them, and think they are pretty, and wear them anyway!

Cruises, like other vacations, I can vary a bit. For example, my upcoming cruise is 4 days, and the whole overall feel with be rest and relaxation. I love to dress up for dinner, but my formal night dress is more scaled back than usual. For daytime attire, it won't be as "energetic" as our last cruise where we ziplined and all sorts of things, so my daytime attire may be a tad nicer. By that I just mean jewelry, and tops like some of the ones you took pictures of.

The May cruise will have a very different feel. I think the whole idea of wearing maybe some brown pants, a scarf, etc. is going to be fun!

Guess what came in today? The red dress from Kohls! It really fits fantastic, and I'm really liking it. However, I'm not really up to par so I will take a picture sometime this week. I'm not 100% certain it is earth red, but it is a wonderful, darker red, and those work quite well for me. I wasn't seeing a blue or purple undertone, so that is a good thing, at least.

Most of you know how partial I am to red, so it can be hard for me not to see a shade of red as wrong for me.

I love that we have new company with us on this thread! As Anita has said, pictures, pictures, pictures! We can't wait to see them! It really helps us to get to know one another. We put names and faces together, and we are able to fully visualize your style and personality. And of course, it helps us to figure out our colors!

You have a necklace with a crystal strawberry, Anita? I'd love to see the pendant!

Anita small world. Colorado Springs has really grown. Have an awesome cruise!

I have to confess, when I was a redhead I was definitely Earth colors, now that I'm silver (never grey) I have no clue what looks good anymore. 😢Teal is about it, good thing I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melody, I'm so glad you said what you said about going silver! I think about this a lot. I am auburn now at 53, but surely when I'm a bit older I'll have to change my color. If I am lucky, I will follow in my maternal family's footsteps and go completely, beautifully white. But, I wonder how that will look with my EARTH skin. My grandmother was an AIR and she looked divine that way.

I like it when I find pictures of people who may provide color role models for me. One lady that I really admire is Judi Dench, and I think she's an EARTH. I wish Anita were here to comment, but I've seen her in FIRE turquoise (very washed out looking) and lots of B&W (which really sparks with her platinum hair), but here is my favorite picture of her. I saw her in one of the James Bond movies with this color hair and I thought "aha, that's what I'll need at her age":

dench.jpg

I love how her hair is a little golden and her skin is very youthful and warm in this yellow top. Her eyes are a bit like mine in that they have a bit of brown around the pupil.

Here she's in an ivory dress and I think her whiter hair is fighting the dress and makeup a bit, but her skin still looks lovely and her eyes pop:

dench02.jpg

I think she still looks lovely in the next photo, but what I notice, and this is a pitfall I've fallen into many times as a blue-eyed EARTH, is that while her eyes are still quite pretty, a cool blue gives her skin a more bluish tone that I think is a tad ageing, plus she's wearing a lot more warm makeup to compensate:

dench03.jpg

So, this is my amateur analysis for myself at 65 or so. I think I will eventually be a blond with super-short hair! I love this look and I think it's very fresh and pretty.

Terry, I just want to add my condolences, too. It's so sad when we lose a part of our family, furry ones too. They give us such joy and companionship.

Bon Voyage to Terry too! I look forward to hearing about your cruise. We have a credit with Princess and that is one of the options on our short list, especially as we could drive to the port (for the first time ever).

Margaret, I'm sure Anita will chime in on this once she is back from her trip and settled in. I envy her at the moment...it's 54 and raining here!

One of the biggest issues I have when trying to determine seasons and so forth with celebrities is how we seldom see them with their natural hair color and no makeup. I find myself going back and forth sometimes. You almost have to see some of them over the years in all sorts of colors - hair color, clothes and makeup - to figure it out. I think you are right about Judi Dench. To be honest, in the picture where her hair is completely white, I'm wondering if it is colored that way. Something about it doesn't look right. In the last picture, there is some gray there, and that seems more natural looking to me.

Most people who I've seen with really white hair tend to be ice. I generally see a yellowish cast on the warmer seasons. Then again, how many people let themselves go completely gray anymore?

I debate about it all the time myself. For me, I'm not showing signs of an all over color change, and the grays I have are coarse and unruly. I find that odd, because I have what I would call silky hair. It tends to be very flat. The two just don't blend. My hair is colored a bit redder than my natural color, but not by much. It is brightest for about a week after it's colored, and then it tones right down.

One thing I've thought about a lot lately is how much I love the long gowns of formal night, and how it doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. As much as I love them, I do feel like it is important to keep them in check, so they don't seem over the top. I love my red dress and my brown dress a lot, so those will continue to be part of my formal nights. The green dress, however, I think will have the train removed. It got stepped on a lot anyway, and when I lost a little bit of weight, it got too long too, so I already know I need it hemmed up. I might as well do away with the train at the same time.

The new jersey dress in green I think is a great way to still feel formal, but to simplify at the same time. I also plan to add some shorter dresses. My fav red dress can easily be used for formal night, although I've never used it for formal night before. I do feel that I want them to really feel formal though...

Terry, I am so sorry about your dog. Pets are truly family, and I know how hard it is. They are with us for such a short time.

Snow. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that, at least not yet. Last year was pretty rough and I'm not over it yet. :rolleyes: It sounds like Colorado has much cooler weather than I thought!

I encourage everyone to post pictures. It really is a very beneficial thing!!

I forgot to post before Anita left that I liked her traveling outfit too! I also have trouble with tops and their fit. I think that is the encouraging thing about the dress that just came in (haven't posted the picture yet) in that it is one of the few times that a dress fits right on top. I really never thought about Kohls for a formal night dress. I'm hoping it is the right red. If it is, it will need to be hemmed a little.