All things EARTH...

Thank you so much,all of you, for your kind condolences about my lovely dog. We miss her terribly but her quality of life was not what a dog should have. We had over 13 years with her! On a lighter note,my bags are packed and only need to be lugged to the street(2nd floor apt) tomorrow. I ended up bringing a dark red(I agree with Laurie about red) jersey silk like dress for one of the formal nights. Pictures will appear in 10 days, thanks too for the Bon Voyage wishes! Terry

Laurie, I'm so looking forward to seeing that red dress.

Earlier you asked what we had the hardest time finding, and you talked about work clothes. For me I'd have to say it's shoes for work. For some reason, there are ten times as many black shoes as brown, and the brown ones tend to be styled more casually. Except for pumps, which I can't wear, and loafers, which can be too casual, it's very hard to find a fun but dressy shoe for work that's also comfortable on the hard floors at school. It is my number one fashion pet peeve.

So, here's some fun fashion news about shoes. Trends for fall!

How gorgeous are these Charlotte Olympia boots:

CharlotteOlympia.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of these "fall sandals" in suede and dark leathers. They kind of work well for our weather since it can be warm but still feels silly to wear summer clothes:

shoes04.jpg

Love the turquoise and orange pumps:

shoes03.jpg

Snake:

shoes02.jpg

More influence from the 80's. I remember the stores selling sparkly clips to add on the toes for day to night dressing:

shoes01.jpg

I never get tired of looking at shoes!

Is there a fashion you remember that you would NEVER guess would come back? I saw this in InStyle and thought "how ridiculous, nobody will wear these again!" In my day we called them gauchos:

gauchos01.jpg

Then I saw this ad, and it seems anything can be made to look fresh (though I wouldn't wear this either):

gauchos02.jpg

We talked about Scarlet being an EARTH earlier, but here's another exercise in "what is she?" I like the second picture in the top row with the dramatic color, and the smokey-eye one on the bottom left with the EARTH purple top. She is another actress who changes her hair color often and has many different looks.

scarlet.jpg

Oh those teal boots are amazing!!! I love them in an almost unhealthy way.

Your comments about haircolor really hit home for me. I recently did a pretty dramatic color change on my hair and am still struggling to figure out what works on me. I am naturally a very dark auburn and colored my hair a variety of red shades for the last 20 or so years. But I have a LOT of grey hair and the roots were making me look like a skunk. So I recently went blonde. Very very blonde. I like it but its taken a long time to not be shocked whenever I see myself in a mirror. Colors that used to work don't work as well now but other colors do look better than before.

I love the blouse Anita chose for travel day. I am busty and very short so there is very little distance between my neck and bust so really structured shirts don't work well for me.

I love your pictures. I am really self conscious of my looks so its hard for me to work up the guts to post pictures but I will work on it.

And again.. those boots... I might kill for them. Or at least maim. ;)

ChollaChick. I was a natural dark auburn, (with green eyes) assisted it for many years until I got tired of coloring every two weeks (my hair grows quickly). When I decided to go natural I low lighted for 4 months, then cut it short & became silver (sigh, I'm a redhead at heart & still miss it, but this is so much easier & I've probably saved the cost of a cruise in the past 5 years). The hard part is figuring what colors go with the new hair. I'm afraid I'm becoming an ICE... Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I seriously considered just going grey. I even read some blogs that were very pro grey but I just can't do it yet. I am 45 and have been going grey since my teens. My hairstylist said I am about 70% grey. If I thought I could pull it off and look cool and not just old I would do it in a heartbeat. My hair grows fast too, which is why I gave up on my beloved red. Though honestly the blond may look better than the red did.

Oh, so many goodies to comment on here!

Scarlett....I look at the few pics with a platinum like blond, and it doesn't look right. Too cool! 2005, 2009 and now seem to look the most natural on her. There is another pictures where she did an gradual color, but it starts off cool and ends warm. It doesn't work.

I'm going to say that she is either and earth or a fire. I like the picture with the earth purple top too, but the lip color may be throwing me off.

Gauchos....oh, I wore those!! I"m not certain how I feel right now. It's like the jumpsuits we are seeng as well, with the wide legs? They almost look like a maxi dress at first. I don't think I really have the right wardrobe to build around them, but would wear gauchos with boots and layers. I can see that as a nice fall look. But I don't like them with out boots all that much. What do the rest of you think?

I love a lot of the boots and shoes you posted. I cannot wear that high of a heel though. I wish I had more opportunities for some of the fun shoes, banking is rather blah! On cruises, I tend to go places that are warmer so I opt for sandals, especially metallic ones since we like the later seating and the dining room is so pretty. I am thinking that with our May cruise, seeing that it may be cooler than what I am used to, I might have some good opportunities for two pairs of shoes that I have that are a bit more fun. One is a warm animal print, and the other is an odd color...hard to match, but very earthy. I'm thinking it would be great with my brown jersey dress and this scarf I have:

IMG_25251_zpsd81d4fd3.jpg

IMG_25261_zpsd6bab03f.jpg

IMG_25271_zps51f605f6.jpg

I took pictures with and without the flash, and then the shoes alone because they really weren't showing up correctly.

I have other options too,such as the animal print shoes...

IMG_25291_zpsbd2f2857.jpg

IMG_25281_zps98bc3ef1.jpg

I got off track, sorry! Just had to run up and try those things together!

I have a habit sometimes that I will relate to impulse buying, ans you have referred to it, Margaret. It can be hard to get items to work together sometimes, or even if it is a dress...just actually putting it on and wearing it, you know?

I love both of those shoes, but for starters, I never have pants that end up long enough to wear with them for work. The animal print ones would be iffy. I could get away with them, yes. But should I wear them???

I have a great deal of trouble with shoes that have this height of a heel. I never wear flats, because they hurt my feel awful. I usually have a modest heel. When I go up to wear these two pair are, I can walk fine but the fit is off. I have wide feet and even with inserts, they tend to fall off in the back a bit, especially with nylons that are required as far as our dress code. On a cruise, I could wear them without the stockings and they would stay on good.

I too have trouble finding the right brown shoes for work! That is my goal at the moment. I have a few dresses that will be in this week for short dress formal night options, but otherwise, I mostly need brown shoes. And the shoes are the most important, because of work. I plan to get a pair of navy shoes as well, because I do have some navy pants and gray pants that are in the back of the closet, with a somewhat warmer feel to them than most. I would like to get use out of them. So, just one pair of navy shoes, and then I can wear these pants with some wonderful warm tops.

Those teal booties with the gold accents...when i was in high school, i lobed vintage clothing from the 50's (I'm starting to detect a pattern with the elegance thing) and those really appeal to the vintage side of me. Wouldn't tey be great with a chocolate brown microsuede skirt? And I can see that with gray/silver hair, ladies...

Curt said once that when you get older, your coloring fades a bit. He used Liz Taylor as an example. He said that if you color your hair, to go a bit lighter so it doesn't look as harsh. Same when you turn gray. When her hair was gray, she looked much better when she her make up colors were not as strong.

I took a few pictures of the red dress but i will reserve judgment until I see it on me in a picture, probably taken in my kitchen.

IMG_25301_zps3fae4182.jpg

IMG_25321_zps7712e84b.jpg

The flash certainly makes a difference...it looks pretty close to one of the colors on my cards.

Have any of you contemplated getting the other color cards for comparison purposes?

Terry, I feel so badly for you in losing your dog! Our animals are family to us. We mourn for them when one is lost. I always say if more people had the sense of animals, we would be in a better world.

I also didn't know Anita lost her cat, Toby. I am way behind in reading and catching up on the EARTH thread,

I love to see all the things and photos you all post over here on this thread! Such fashionistas :) I am just a plain simple dresser although, I do love to dress up on our cruises! It feels like "dress up" to me.

I really think I may get the style statement book. I am really curious as to what it would say about me. Just off the top of my head I would think it would be something like, simple, natural, ethnic. I have loved seeing what some of you have posted about your statements and also the photos. Thanks for doing that :)

Laurie - I love that red dress. I, too, have a bit of an obsession with red. All reds. It's a bit of a problem. :)

I like both pairs of shoes. I must admit that I have a pair of shoes almost identical to the animal print ones and I love them. They make me feel sexy, regardless of what I am wearing.

I have never been very confident about my body - because of my disability I am a bit oddly built... short, barrel chested, kind of like a husky hobbit. But over the past several years I have kind of lost my footing in appearance. My body has changed and suddenly I have gained weight - a lot of it in my midsection. Also my hair is greying aggressively and I just feel lost in my skin.

Though my body isn't what I want it to be, I need to find a way to love it in all its incarnation s which is easier said than done. But clothes and style can go a long way.

Wow, so much info...where do I start?

Margaret...I love those teal shoes...they are to die for. You and I read the same magazines I've noticed. LOL!

Laurie...I love both the shoes with the dress. What an awesome combo with the scarf...Love it! And need I say how much I love the red dress...Red is my favorite color of all time.

Joby...Yep, we're fashionistas for sure!:D We all share a love of fashion and like sharing our thoughts and ideas about it. This thread is so uplifting and fun.

ChollaChick...It's tuff the way everything changes as we age or how an illness can change our body and looks. I remember when I first started seeing changes and I had a hard time also accepting some of them. For example...I've always had flawless skin but now I've develped this skin "thing" that I've inherited from my dad. I forgot the name of it but I'm glad that it's not cancer and won't turn into cancer. It consists of these growths that look like little beauty marks...but then they start to grow over the years and become big mold-lookings things (thank goodness most of them are on my scalp and covered by what little hair I have left. I have one on my right cheek that's a little bigger than a pencil eraser. I hate it so much...however, I thank God it's not cancerous. So I just deal. Also, from my mom I've inhertited, as I've aged, thinning hair. I went from having a head full of beautiful, natural culy hair to having a head of "cotton candy" my hair is so thin. But you know what...I'll be 68 in Nov. and I'm just glad to be healthy and alive!!! Others have it way worse than me so I can't honestly complain. I've learned that it doesn't affect how my loved ones feel about me. My DH says he doesn't notice these things. He just thinks I'm beautiful the way I am. That's why we've been together for over 40 odd years...LOL. The DS told me "Mom, you're the only one that cares about it. I love you and I wouldn't even care if you were bald." How sweet is that?? I get compliments all the time from people about my choice of shoes, jewelry, clothes, handbags, etc. (not bragging...just say'n) so that tells me that people aren't looking at my face or my hair as much as they are noticing and appreciating something I'm wearing that they like...this all says a lot to me and is why I just let my insecurities about my aging fly out the window. I have too much to be thankful for. I'm a very grateful person.

Edited by mousey

For those of you with color cards, it reminds me of one of the smaller samples labeled burgundy. However, I was amazed how well it blended with chocolate brown. I'm thinking it is earth.

Mousey, I really like your post. I was able to maintain a certain weight for years. Then, when my daughters were four years and four months old, my husband left me. Here I was with two little ones and I totally lamed myself. I lost weight - too much weight, and I spent a great deal of time hating myself. Fast forward to about 11 years ago when I met my current husband...thanks to hypothyroidism, I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. I've lost some, but not a lot.

I've realized that my family loves me no matter what. I'm heavier, yes. But I've never been happier. This is much better than my old self!!

So I'm learning to deal with who I am while I still try to improve myself. Life is good. I'm very blessed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't know if I'm a fashionista, but I'm having fun. I'm waiting for one more dress to come in then I will take pictures. You all can help me decide what's worth keeping!

Rioja brown is a Ralph Lauren dress, by the way. I was able to apply two coupons and one was big! But it is still more than what I'd like. Well see. The hubby liked it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On my monitor it looks brown, too. In general, I think RL fall clothes are very EARTH, compared the spring palette.

Laurie, I have to take time to go back and look at your outfits. I remember seeing those metallic peep-toes before, I really like those.

Today is back-to-school for me. I get to see what my new office is like. I really liked my old one, the accent wall was teal! My new one I'll have for two months, then they're moving me again in November. :(

What do you do at the school, Margaret?

I love fall and winter clothes. It's so much easier for me to find colors that work. Also style wise I am just not a huge fan of shorts and hot weather clothes. Shame I live in Arizona where it's basically summer 10 months out of the year, huh? ;) But I love scarves and wearing tights and boots with skirts which would both garner me strange looks and be horribly uncomfortable here during the hot months.

I also like the cool months for my house decor too. I am a big fan of deep rich colors and love decorating with candles and things like pinecones and natural elements like branches and stuff. I prefer cozy over cool, I guess. :)

One of the things for me that I've always loved is earth colors. I have them throughout my house, even before I knew about what my colors were. Not that it matters, unless I'm wearing them! I

'm very comfortable with my color choices...I want to wear earth colors. I'm not really interested in other colors anymore, especially now that I'm getting a bit better identifying earth colors. Purple and blue have always been avoided, but I'm getting more comfortable choosing them. I just have that red weakness, and I seen that I'm not alone!

Having four seasons is rather neat for me. I tire of winter quickly, mostly because it is dark all the time, and it's very rough driving. Last year I spent many a day being petrified on my way to an from work as a result of the snow storms. Otherwise though, it so great to see the transition from season to season, and I enjoy the clothing changes.

That Ralph Lauren dress is really pretty, and will be easy to wear. I find the color so unique, and it may show that way to all of you when I'm wearing it, but one minute it's brown, and the next it is purple. It will definitely fit the bill of a shorter formal dress. I know that this styling is some what typical these days, but I can't say I saw a lot of lace dresses on my past few cruises, other than a few in black.

This talk about seasons has reminded me that I need new winter boots. My old ones were a few years old, and the salt got the better of them last year. Plus, they were starting to leak.

Chollachick your home sounds really warm & welcoming. Dh & I live in a condo & I go all out with bronze & dark green accents in fall. Love it. Fall always feels like new beginnings, maybe its cause of years of school starts as a child then as a parent. Fall colours take on that optimistic glow.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Margaret , I love the fashions you post now if I was only twenty years younger .I would rock those shoes .

Laurie , Love lace dresses . They just look so elegant

Mousey & Cholla . I know what you mean about changes of aging . My hair is brownish red but I would love to go gray . A lot of my friends have that silver gray & I think they look fabulous . I had a tough time finding age appropriate clothes without looking frumpy . I finally ended up with JJIll & Chico's . I probably should wear less loose fitting clothes but I love the comfort .I actually am at the same weight I was in high school after losing thirty pounds post retirement but my body looks nothing like high school . My worst feature is my legs so maxi dresses are my friend and I have a decent collection of them.Kamloop & Cholla , I love fall but in Florida it is a nonevent . I do add scarves , substitute ballet flats for sandals, and eventually go to darker colors but I miss the changing of the leaves and that first snowfall .

I love the seasons, too, and fall and spring in New York are wonderful with my favorite kind of weather. My condo tends to be on the EARTH side too. We have wood parquet floors so that tends to set the tone for everything else.

Chollachick, the first time I went to AZ in February I packed lots of summer clothes thinking it would be hot. I met a friend for lunch and she was dressed in a suit. :) I felt very out-of-place. I also didn't know how cold it could be in the desert at night. We stayed at the Scottsdale Princess and it was in the middle of the desert back then, what lovely views.

I work at a local community college in the largest ESL (English as a Second Language) program on the east coast. I teach a conversation fluency class, and I manage our writing tutoring center. I assemble and manage a staff of 35-40 volunteers each semester. Sometimes I substitute as well. My students are mostly college-age and very career-oriented. We are a pre-academic program so we spend a lot of time on college-level skills, especially writing. I am lucky because I love my job.

But, my new office is mauve. I hate mauve. :)

Oh, those teal boots... they really do sing, don't they?

Edited by MJC

WOW...so much to catch up on!! I don't even think I can wrap my head around all the conversation happening here enough to respond with any intelligence to anything written...STILL have vacation brain!

We had a fabulous vacation! I have a lot of opinions to share. I'm debating where to share these...but I will share what we did and SOME opinions here, for sure...I need to gather my thoughts...but here is a teaser...

(And yes...it would appear in reviewing my photos that I am obsessed with my painted toes! LOL.)

GOOD.

P1090600_zpsd7ded054.jpg

BETTER.

P1090601_zps460508bd.jpg

BEST.

P1090602_zps62e893b1.jpg