All things EARTH...

Everyone should have a clue as to what I brought from all my previous photos...but it isn't quite the same as seeing it in action.

Just a refresher...we sailed on Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville, Florida for a 5-nighter to the Bahamas.

I hope what I do here is okay...I'm going to write all about our cruise and share my wardrobe too.

This was our summer vacay...with all the things happening over the summer...a true getaway was not going to happen. But fortunately, our school district brought back Fall Break and so we had this week off in September. After researching many different options...the best one seemed to be this Carnival sailing at a port about 6 hours away, give or take. The 5-nighter is perfect for us...we get that vacation, but also have a long weekend at home before having to resume school and work.

We decided that there was enough time to travel the morning of embarkation...so we planned to and ACTUALLY hit the road by 5 am! I was so excited that we did it! I was more concerned with traffic/problems on I-75 causing a major delay...and honestly...driving from north of Atlanta on Friday night would be a nightmare. Better to sleep (as much as possible) in our own beds and hit the road at o'dark thirty (as our good friend of the family says.)

Carnival has a unique "shore excursion" available for all of their sailings. It's called Faster to the Fun...referred to by FTTF on the boards. For the bargain price of $49.95 per cabin, you can purchase quite a few perks that are associated with a higher loyalty status. FTTF was Sold Out when we first booked, but based on recommendations here (thx mousey!), and the knowledge that Carnival continues to release FTTF periodically as the sailing approaches...I was able to snag one.

One perk of FTTF is a designated line at embarkation. You get to join the Priority line of higher loyalty status. You have a designated person that checks your identification and boarding pass to send you to a designated security check point to send you to a few designated check in positions to fast forward from that to the embarkation picture and on board the ship where your cabin is READY and your luggage to be dropped off ASAP.

So I purchased FTTF partly because, IF we were to bust our butts to get to the port as early as we could, I didn't want to have to wait in line once we finally got there. I saw the line. And I was THRILLED that we had FTTF. In nothing flat...we were on the ship...dropped off our carry on bags in our cabin and footloose and fancy free we were eating lunch on a cruise ship. (Dropping off the bags was a HUGE plus because we had brought on board our allotted non-alcoholic beverages (12 items up to 20-oz each per person) and 2 bottles of wine (1 per pax aged 21+ years)

Regarding JAXPORT. I will briefly say...has anyone ever been to a regional airport? A small one, with just a handful of gates? THAT is what JAXPORT is like. A small, regional port. Fascination is the ONLY ship that sails from there. Is the only ship that COULD sail from there, unless they were to have another ship on a different day. They were extremely organized. Everyone we talked to knew the program and could move all the pax along through the system.

For my travel day...I wore a super fun (and I thought appropriate) EARTH print shirt, tan golf shorts, and Teva sandals.

P1090507_zpsd4d2a1f2.jpg

The Tevas were DS's. He outgrew them...I needed new ones...his fit me and I've been wearing them for at least a year now. They are secure, great arch support, water friendly shoes. I don't love the style...but the functionality wins for me. My shorts have pockets galore, including one with a zipper to secure my Sail and Sign card (and the card we used for the safe).

Sidenote: Carnival has an interesting system for the safes in the rooms. They are secured with a magnetic strip. NOT a code. You bring an old gift card or S&S card, or whatever you have that has a magnetic strip on it. The safe is coded to that card only and will open when you slide the card again. We used an old store credit Lowes card.

I'm standing on the Lido stage...which is on the pool deck. I'm sorry that it isn't closer up. Anyway...the shirt is very flattering on me IMO...the shirt has a bit of a flare to it so it hugs me more at the narrowest point under the bust and flares over my wider tummy and hips. I have to say that I'm not thrilled with my level of fitness that show in my photos. And some outfits are definitely better than others...

Anyway...

This is one of the better ones. Again with the toes...I just love this nail polish! Azure by Channel. It changes color depending on your viewing angle.

P1090508_zps57f331ae.jpg

Muster was at 3:45 pm. Our station happened to be on the pool deck...and I amused myself by showing you lovely ladies my nails, which I had just done late the night before:

P1090510_zps8e0d6ddf.jpg

This is OPI's Incognito in Sausalito from their San Francisco collection. I loved this collection...especially being from the Bay Area...so good. It's a dark, dark blue that can look black. The bracelet is one that I picked up in Belize on my 40th birthday celebration cruise. Golden yellow, bright green, and a deep purple...here's another view of it:

P1090511_zpsb470c0ca.jpg

Muster was pretty lame on Carnival. I don't remember muster for Royal...but for Celebrity, they actually had a passenger list in each station and they checked your name off. If you didn't show up, they started paging you! For Carnival...they did a head count. Just one. No discount double check. I guess they call it good if there is a certain percentage there? IDK.

Since we were already where the access to the lifeboats were...we had a lot of time to fiddle fart around, as my DS says...hence my photos... Meanwhile, the other muster stations had to physically be lead up to where they would go to get into their assigned lifeboats. OMG. It was nuts. Adults and kids playing follow the crew member leader...

Jaxport is a very unique port in that the ship docks INLAND. You go down a river to get to the terminal. I read that it takes about 30 minutes to actually sail out into open water. The MOST unique thing about JAXPORT is the BRIDGE:

P1090522_zpse83a167b.jpg

Yes...the ship is going to go under that bridge! There is very LITTLE clearance for the ship. If the tides are not cooperating, then the ship can't come into port, let alone leave...

I had read all about this. We decided to stand under the big whale tail on the ship...the famous Carnival distinction on their ship designs. THIS is where the clearance is, IDK...very, very close. We were in the shade...had a great view...and were right there for when we went under the bridge...the better view of how close it is would be to stand behind it...here's the highest point in front of the ship...you just can't believe that we will fit under as you approach:

P1090523_zps06e79703.jpg

We had "Your Time Dining" which meant that we could hit the dining room whenever we felt like it. I read mixed reviews regarding service for YTD...it seemed that some felt that they were "second best" to the assigned time diners. I can honestly say that I NEVER felt that way...

A little talk about the food...Laurie, I know that you are very interested in what I think about Carnival...well, let me tell you. I really like some of the aspects of the food service. A LOT. I will admit that my Royal memory is more hazy...I have the recent Celebrity cruise much more in my memory, so I can more easily compare that...but here's my go at what gives for Carnival food.

First...the buffet area for the Fantasy class of ships is very well thought out. There is an inside area and an outside area. Outside...there is the typical grill. (Celebrity had this too). Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, french fries. Carnival also had a cold salad section...usually with potato salad (awesome!) and cole slaw. You could stand in the line and get it fresh...or you could use the self service section where it was not quite as fresh but faster.

Then there is the Mongolian Wok. You put together a plate of whatever fresh, cut veggies you want (huge selection), egg noodles (think chow mein), and/or thin rice noodles, and hand it to the chef where he throws that in a wok with your choice of protein (shrimp, chicken, steak) and your choice of sauce (Thai BBQ, Szechuan, or Black Bean). EXCELLENT.

Inside...there are several different "pods." The buffet on the Millinium class for Celebrity was a big line that divided the room. You either went to one side or the other...I think there was one crossing in the middle... The Carnival buffet was one big open room with circular offerings like islands in the middle and on either end. Overall...the selection was similar...you have cold salads, fruit, a good variety of hot food, fresh made to order deli, and fresh pizza.

Personally, I think there was more variety on Celebrity. However...the Mongolian Wok was so outstanding...what Carnival DID have to offer was very good.

Moving on to dinner...

We hit the Mongolian Wok for lunch. There were several ways to eat outside...my fav. Much more outside seating than Celebrity.

The only show that night was a late one...so dinner could be whenever we wanted really. I changed into my chocolate brown capris, another fun print shirt, and my new comfy sandals.

P1090532_zps8a6266ea.jpg

My jewelry tonight is very simple. The amethyst pendant necklace DH gave me and the diamond studs.

P1090538_zpsf0f84599.jpg

I don't love my hair right now...I'm growing it out into what style, I'm not sure...

I like this shirt for the same reasons as the previous one. There's actually smocking at the under bust area. I do have to use a safety pin at the neckline. I love these capris...good pockets. ;) The shoes are very comfy. They are like the sandal equivalent of slippers. Acceptable for public viewing, LOL. But they aren't the best walking shoe... I think they are cute though...and look as good as most for casual wear.

We ate dinner almost too early...we went back to the cabin where DH lay down on the bed. And I knew he was done... So DS and I watched the show and explored and partied that night without him.

Do ya'll want to hear about the entertainment, etc.?

Thanks Ladies!!

I'm debating how much review to do here...KWIM?

I got to know DS more on our cruise...or should I say that I reaffirmed what I know already? DS likes planned activities. He likes to be entertained. He isn't as good at entertaining himself...but he really enjoys the action and likes to participate in whatever is going on. He and I had a fun mom/son time while DH chilled and slept in the cabin...

We hit the show...a Motown themed show. Now listen...I've been in choir. I've done many other things on the stage. And I tend to be a critical person...in the purest sense of the word...I see...I notice...I critique...it isn't all negative. But I do notice A LOT.

Anyway...the house entertainers performed this show. Four guys and four girls. The show involved the cast singing and dancing to TOO-many-songs-to-remember Motown songs. There were a few surprises...like the "Whip It" song that is sung by the boys in Pitch Perfect..."wanna see you whip it"...the classics...the not so classic, but fun, like "Brick House"..."she's a BRICK...HOUSE." Set changes. Tons of costume changes. Lots of dancing and choreo... The men could sing...OMG...could the men sing. The girls? Not so much. I'll leave it at that. The costumes kind of bugged me too? They were ill fitting on the women and we saw it because we were front row...regardless, we enjoyed the show.

So Carnival is the "Fun Ship." Everything is geared toward this...and they play it up. The last song of the show was Lionel Ritchies' "All Night Long." The cast was all in white...white sparkle accents. And the CD and the cast started a conga line from the stage through the theater into the atrium of the ship. There a DJ had control and the party went nuts.

DS and I stayed above the action on the first deck that overlooked the atrium. Meanwhile...down on the floor...it was packed with people. The decks overlooking filled up too. The way it's designed the CD, his name is Adam (LOVE him!!) is standing at a spot soon to be pictured overlooking the floor...and he introduces the 8 members of the cast...and then he wants everyone to raise their hands up. BOTH. He says, "You..." and he singles this one woman out on the upper deck. He says, "She doesn't think I would do this...but..." and he walks up and over to her and stands in front of her and tells her in no uncertain terms that BOTH hands need to be up. (She was game...it was SO funny)...so with both hands up...everyone cheered...

And the song came on...

"SHOUT...lift your hands up...and SHOUT..."

And then the super appropriate, "Get your back up off the wall..." song, (I can't remember the name!)

And everyone was SO into it! Then the Wobble song...

OMG. Too fun.

DS and I then headed to the buffet area where the pizza 24/7 is located. Freshly made. Wood fired oven. Thin crust that isn't cracker-like...OMG...it was so good!

And then to the Piano Bar...which turned into one of our most favorite places on the ship. We closed the night at the Piano Bar.

There is a baby grand piano in the middle of the bar. There is counter top with stools that surrounds the bar. Other tables and booth seating around. The pianist was Johnathan Thompson, pretty all sure...a lovely Baritone...and he would sing...talk...tell some stories, interact...sing. There was some audience participation. It was great.

This gives you an idea:

P1090612_zps00907528.jpg

This picture shows...this ship was built in 1994. And it looks it. It's very Vegas. VERY Vegas. A little on the edge of tacky? A little over the top? See how the bar stools are piano keys? Every table in the place looked like the overhead view of a grand piano. The walls would all light up and change colors...It's the kind of thing that those that like it...accept it...embrace it...and in fact, love it...love it for what it is. All over the ship...it's like this.

I'm coming right back with the first Sea Day!

I'm that age. I wake up. Doesn't matter. I will wake up. I will have to use the bathroom...and MAYBE, I can get back to sleep.

And this is the morning when we realize that we will be spending this cruise always wondering what time it is...because there is NOT a clock in the room. And none of us brought a watch (I don't wear one). I think that I figured out that my iPod has the time on it...

So DH and I decided that we would go get our work out in while DS slept some more.

We hit the upper deck with the jogging track. A very nice jogging track actually. The other thing on this deck was the putt putt. On Celebrity, the jogging track was the deck overlooking the pool. Very annoying traffic and lounge chairs in the way. And the track was just paint. THIS track was that spongy stuff? It was nice.

Anyway...on the shady side of the ship...we were headed due south, so one side did have shade in the morning...there was a space...a small deck space. And YES, ladies, I put on my sport ear buds and cranked my iPod to a favorite playlist and I did Zumba ALL BY MYSELF while looking out to sea... YES...I'm pretty sure that I was the subject of more than a few conversations...DH said so too...but I did it. I was so proud of myself. I got my sweat on and I was happy. DH jogged and walked around the track.

I was getting a drink of water in between songs and another jogger came up to me and said something incredibly encouraging and complementary and gave me a high five. Made my day.

Afterward...Back in the cabin...I showered and dressed while DH went to the gym to do his physical therapy for his back. They had 2 big exercise balls. And we actually packed our yoga mats, DH's rope (for help stretching), and a smaller roller of pain too.

I woke DS up and he showered and got ready for Sea Day Brunch. DH soon was back...and sooner than later...we were off.

Sea Day Brunch is in the dining room on, wait for it, Sea Days! Served until 1 pm! It's a meal we can actually make in the MDR! I got very hot and sweaty doing Zumba...and I felt like wearing my new sun dress. This is the atrium:

P1090540_zps23e35d93.jpg

That is the atrium bar on the floor. There are several decks overlooking this. And I'm standing where Adam stood the night before to direct the party. Now I saw this photo and I made DH take another one.

P1090539_zpseee3bb98.jpg

Now this dress isn't doing me ANY favors. AT ALL. It's an XL and I probably could have gotten a L. The underarms were proof enough of that... It wasn't as fitted as it could be in the smocking around the body...so it added more weight that I didn't need...and the length isn't the most flattering. But, DANG, that thing was comfy...and I was pretty happy. That thing around my neck is my hat (which I remembered!).

I threw on some gold hoops and the same amethyst pendant necklace.

Here are my shoes and my awesome nail polish! LOL!!

P1090543_zps99a36aa1.jpg

Sea Day Brunch is just that... No set time. It was wonderful sit and eat brunch food. I love brunch. Service was very fast and before you know it...we were getting ready to cool off at the pool...

I just got back from Vegas today. The DH and I had a really great time.

Right now I'm loving Anita's review of her cruise. YES! We want to hear and see more!

Anita...you are so pretty...I've only ever seen the picture of you that accompanies your posts (where you also look great). But the picture of you in the brown Capri outfit shows you with a big smile. You looked awesome in that outfit. I love the color of your hair. You look like an advertisement for the perfect Earth outfit. Loved it. By the way, you don't look out of shape to me at all. I absolutely love the "Toe" pictures...so fun! Keep the review and pics coming.

ChollaChick,

My DS is a sophomore at the University of Arizona. Do you live near there? We're going to visit him for "Parent's Weekend" in Oct. I can't wait to see him. I also have a BFF (we've been friends for over 30 years) that works at the college so I get to see her too every time we visit the DS. I really like Tucson. My SIL used to live in Phoenix and we have been there many, many times. I like it there too.

It's funny because I have some kind of tie to where everyone lives.

FL - I was born and raised there. My Dad's side of the family lives in the Tampa area and my mom's side of the family hails from Miami. Both of the families met and lived in Key West before they went their separate ways. My great-grandparents moved to Key West, FL from Cuba back in the 1800s.

NY - That's where the DH and his family are from. The DH was born in Rochester. I met him when he moved to FL to go to Dade Jr. College - North Campus. His grandparents on both sides emigrated to the U.S. from Italy back in the early 1900s.

San Francisco - The DH finished his last two years of college at SFU. We lived there for two-and-a-half years. I love it there so much. We had such a great time when we lived there. Poor as church mice...but loved it. So many great memories from those college days.

TX - My aunt lived there for years. We have several friends that live in the Dallas and San Antonio areas.

GA - One of my best BFFs of about 40 years lives there. She came to visit me in FL last Christmas while I was visiting my parents. We hadn't seen each other in over 20 some odd years but it seemed like we had just seen each other the day before. We had a great time.

CA - I've been in Cali since 1972. After the DH finished college we moved down to the Los Angeles area as he is a musician/songwriter and this is where he went to USC for graduate school. We've been here ever since but now live up in the Santa Monica mountains about 6 mins. from the ocean. We love where we live. There's nothing commercial (very little anyway...mostly vineyards and ranches) around here.

I'll tell more about my Vegas trip later. I'm more interested in hearing more about Anita's vacay right now!

I'm off to FL on Sat. night!

Edited by mousey

I am very brave...or rather...I'm getting over it...

Pool side!

P1090545_zpsa8ef1475.jpg

You'll see my cover up later...

This is an Athleta swim suit. It is one of their bra cup size suits. It has a built in bra with removable foam "cups" that help turn off the headlights...which are always on for me...just sayin'. The color is "Cargo". I bought this a while back. It's kind of army green?

My chest is pink from doing Zumba...I did wear sunscreen but I don't think it was as effective as it could be...

Let's talk about the PAX I sailed with...

I think this ship was about 50% Georgia. I think this ship was about 90% Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida. This was a REGIONAL cruise. Kind of like the Texas sailing out of Galveston. It was Texas Spring Break...it was Texas on a cruise. This was Georgia Fall Break...it was Georgia on a cruise.

I'd say the PAX was about 50/50 for white/black. I hope all the lurkers take this the right way...but man...the black women know how to dress. OMG. They had style. They had flare. They had it going on...and I was taking notes. They had their sun hats. Their earrings. Their necklaces. I saw BELTS. Their cover ups were awesome. Their pool shoes were awesome. It didn't matter that this was the pool...they were dressed up just as much as if they were going out. Because they were...to the pool.

And I think I need pool earrings. And a pool necklace. I have Zumba earrings. And a Zumba necklace. I wear them every time I work out. INCLUDING this morning...but I look at myself and my swim suit...and I'm NAKED compared to how some of these ladies were dressed!

Wow. So this ship had very few kids. Seriously. They slapped a 16+ age limit on one of the shows/activities because there were so few kids on board. And the kids here seemed to all hang out at the Water Works on an upper deck aft. The pool was overrun with adults with adult beverages pool dancing to the tunes pumping from the lido stage.

The DJ did a good job of playing party tunes. He took requests. There was a lot of line dancing. Taking place in the shade of that big tent covering the stage. Typical party songs. A surprising amount of country songs. And a set that was "Zumba" to me. I enjoyed it. It was fun.

You sound so fresh, relaxed and invigorated - all at once! And that is the sign of a good vacation. I love to see the pictures of everything I am thinking of posting in a similar fashion after my next cruise. I love your bathing suit. I have a few really nice ones so I'm hoping to post a picture of mine too. Chocolate brown!!! Then there is the animal print one and one with two great earthy colors but a white background...

Keep posting!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So my night was not so elegant...but that's okay. It was smart for me to wear my flats. My hip is feeling much better...and I'm happy that I didn't push on myself for the sake of fashion. LOL.

I love this dress. It's so comfy. I love the blue and orange together. It can be so hard to find that good EARTH blue...

P1090546_zps5f16c0c5.jpg

Back in the atrium area...which is where the entrance was for our dining room. My men dressed me up because they were both in long sleeved dress shirts and ties.

Anyone read that one thread that turned into the debate of tie and no coat versus coat and no tie? It's an interesting thing to really look at... Regardless...my men are hot men. And it was hot weather. They didn't wear a coat.

The dress on board was all over the place. I was not the most casual for sure. And the range was all the way from nice separates to a full on prom dress ball gown. I saw the sequined covered one shoulder strap on a floor length gown with the statement necklace AND a tiara with her date wearing a tux.

The thing that I found to be most refreshing? Whatever people wore? They wore it ALL NIGHT. We hung this night and all over the ship...even the men stayed in their fancy duds into the wee hours. I enjoyed it so much. It just didn't matter if you went all out or not...most on board had raised the level of their dress and they didn't change. But yes...there were many, many ladies carrying their shoes...

Go back and look at that photo...see the coral colored floor length gown in the lower left?

We ended up in the Tara library which was off the atrium. Unlike the Celebrity ship, this was in the middle of the action...with windows. In addition to books, there were games. The room was huge (by comparison) and there were tables and conversation groupings all over. Chess is kind of a thing for our family, especially DH's family...DS has the bug too...and so the men were playing chess while I was having more camera fun:

P1090549_zps4799add2.jpg

With a flash...See! It IS blue!:

P1090548_zpsb4803485.jpg

And of course...

P1090551_zps6c2d7a2e.jpg

P1090552_zps3a331823.jpg

P1090559_zpsda3e4fbf.jpg

I'm wearing amber. The necklace and the earrings were my Grandmother's on Dad's side. I have makeup on...but my eyes are so swollen for some reason (I think it's wheat)...you can't see my lids...and it's after dinner, so no more lips...

And you see what I mean about how Vegas the ship is! Shiny and lights!

On another note...because of the evening's activities...we wanted to eat earlier than later. OMG...so glad we did! We didn't wait at all, but this was one night that everyone with YTD seemed to want to eat at the same time and there were people waiting all over the place with pagers in their hands...

So...while we are playing chess...there is the replay of the show from the night before...the Motown show. And here comes the Congo line, the performers, and Adam. So I get up to check out the action and see how it differs from the night before...

So here we go...

Adam introduces the cast...

And then he talks about a special drawing for a very special prize. They have gathered the cabin numbers before the show and they are having a drawing for a special prize!

(Adams draws a slip of paper out of a big bowl...)

It's the Empress deck! Who's on the Empress deck?!

Some in the crowd cheer.

And it's cabin blah blah blah. Cabin blah blah blah? A so and so? Is so and so here?

He's here!! He's very excited...and Adam brings him to that place at the top of those oh so lovely, and slightly tacky stairs.

Where are you from? Who are you cruising with? Where is she?

So and so points.

Adam calls out to her. And is your girlfriend the only person you are cruising with?

Aw, she looks lonely...why don't you come on up here...

So and so introduces her with the mike. It's her first cruise.

Adams asks if she is enjoying herself. Yes.

Is she excited to be here? Yes.

Is she excited to win a special prize? Yes.

So and so's girlfriend is quite sedate.

And then Adam says something and steps away...

And so and so turns around...and LEANS into girlfriend...and all those people on the floor and the decks above GO CRAZY!!!

And then so and so gets down on one knee...

AND THE CROWD GO EVEN MORE WILD!!!!!

And she said YES!!!

It was awesome.

Adam comes back into the picture and congratulates the couple...she is a FIANCE for the rest of the cruise...a gift of a champagne bottle on ice...

So fun.

At this point...my recollection of the rest of the previous evening is a bit fuzzy without the help of the Fun Times...which are all packed...but I'm not getting them out...

Moving on!

Our first port was Nassau.

I've heard very mixed reviews of Nassau. Overall, I'd say that it's the port that most wish wasn't a port. Overall. I did read a review that helped me set my mind...and I shared with my men...

To everyone that lives in Nassau? We are all rich Americans on vacation. We all have money. And maybe we will spend it with them? Do not get upset or put out because some one is trying to earn a buck. Allow them to try without wrecking your day. Say no, move on.

We decided to go for a bit of historical Nassau. Fort Charlotte...we did decide that we would walk all over Nassau like we walked all over Key West last Spring.

My men wore gym shorts, a quick drying short sleeved shirt, and walking shoes with socks. I don't own quick drying short sleeves...I don't love sleeves, especially when working out...so I wore a short sleeved tee shirt (to cover my shoulders)...those golf shorts, walking shoes and shorts. And my sun hat.

We took off down Bay Street.

I was prepared for the impromptu "guides". We picked one up close to Junkanoo Beach. He was nice. He asked us a question. He felt us out, so to speak. And we were okay... He had gray hair and we learned that he had last been to Chicago in 1974. He walked with us and slowed our pace down a bit...but he lead us to Fort Charlotte.

In anticipation...I had small bills in my happy golf short pockets. When it was time to part ways...I gave him a tip, as I had learned about from all my reading. We parted ways...all were happy.

Fort Charlotte is pretty cool. It's the first fort for us. Dungeons are cool. Literally. I think you have to appreciate history. This is DS' year to study Georgia history...and so we are planning to visit the forts on Georgia's coast. Fort Charlotte is fodder for future comparison...

This photo was taken with the wrong setting for light:

P1090561_zps7ecd697b.jpg

Those are the cruise ships in the far, far background on the right. That's a portion of a cannon near my leg. I'm holding a bottle of water. I'm wearing my trusty travel bag (field tested in Disney LOL).

I don't really share photos that include DS...for personal reasons...but this is far enough away...and you can see the above ground portion of the fort:

P1090562_zps555f352b.jpg

Because I took that photo...I could see that the setting was wrong...ah well.

Fort Charlotte is a one and done. It's one of those things. It's not overwhelmingly interesting? And yet...it is. You have to be one of those people that can appreciate it and put it into context...use your imagination. I just can't believe it was hand carved out of the rock.

Ever seen hand scraped hard wood? It lovely. It's my fav. You could see it in the rock. And the tools weren't big. Hammer and chisel. OMG. You can see the chisel marks.

It cost $1 per person admission. It used to be free. There is a new chain link fence that directs traffic into one sole entrance.

Inside...you will be greeted by a "tour guide." He will lead you around until a certain point inside the dungeons. Then he lets you know that he works for tips only...and it is your discretion as to whether or not you tip.

I knew all about this before hand. We tipped $1 a head. So $3 for our group.

There was a gift shop there. And of all things...I bought Bahama Sea Salt! So white. I can't wait to try it. I've read that if you eat Sea Salt from all over the world...you can get all your minerals...

We explored all over the fort to hearts' content. It was time for a bite to eat.

Conch was our goal.

I'd read about the Fish Fry...it seemed like a local thing to do. Maybe. It was close to the fort. It was our next destination.

Wow. Talk about being assaulted by people trying to drum up business for their restaurant. Our first encounter was "Mr. Happy." He was in the parking lot. We crossed the main road and cut across the parking lot and Mr Happy introduced himself and his product...

It actually sounded pretty good but we wanted to see the scene and so we put him off...he was respectful...he described his restaurant...the green house on the water...he was there when we were ready...

And then we were hounded as we walked down the frontage...all I can say is WOW. I said assaulted right? We walked down and we decided that Mr Happy deserved our business...we crossed the street to the non-business side...so as not to have to come into direct contact with the street salesman as we made our way back along that front...and one lady actually RAN across the street to us...another lady yelling "free shots"...hello?

Let me tell you...go eat at D'Waters. Yes indeed. That's where you want to eat your conch.

The fritters are amazing. The salad is the way the locals eat it...according to our first tour guide...the gray haired "Kevin." The local brew...well...it will hit the spot.

We had a most excellent conversation with our server. She was friendly. Knowledgeable. And willing to have an exploratory conversation where you learn a bit about her, her business, her island, etc. And we shared as well. We got a true taste of what it is to raise sons on that island.

It's a family business. Don't be discouraged by the looks. It's being refurbished/under construction because someone robbed them of the food and set fire to it. And they are in repair mode.

The food was excellent. The service incredible. And I'm happy that our footsteps led us there.

I always get a photo of DH with the local brew...

P1090564_zps187ca114.jpg

Yes...Dh is an EARTH...but that is not EARTH blue.

Laurie? You were absolutely right...exercise clothes. It's nearly impossible to find EARTH colors in exercise clothing.

P1090565_zps40d7ac44.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is EARTH blue. But the jury is still out. It's not a great picture...and you can tell I've worked up a sweat walking around...That thing around my wrist is my iPod. That orange band is the "case"...it's one of those square Nanos.

We ordered the fritters. Incredible. And the tropical conch salad. That salad was filling and we could have ordered fewer. It had a good kick to it.

Again. I highly recommend. D'Waters at Fish Fry, which is actually a BUNCH of different restaurants.

We walked back to the ship.

P1090570_zpsf2a4d978.jpg

P1090569_zps70e36747.jpg

Thanks Sally! We did have so much fun. There was only ONE THING that was bothersome and I will have to research to see if there is a change coming that would alleviate that annoyance...regardless, could be solved by a ship with a different lay out.

Back on board...

It was hot. We were hot. We needed to cool off. Time to hit the pool. I was saving my other swim suit for Half Moon Cay...so I put my one piece on again.

P1090573_zpsdaf92cb6.jpg

I did struggle a bit to get in and out of my cover up? So I decided to forgo it for this trip to the pool...and put my sweaty shorts back on...(so sorry if that's an overshare :o).

Soon enough...it was time to head back to the cabin...and get ready for dinner...

I must admit that I would have loved to put my dress back on! I wasn't loving the thought of separates. A dress seemed so much easier. But I was saving that ill fitting dress for the evening following the beach day (tomorrow)...so I stuck with my plan...

P1090574_zps984a5392.jpg

I discovered after the previous elegant night that I neglected to pack makeup remover...which kind of put me off to wearing mascara again. Must say.

We chilled out in the cabin a bit...which was difficult considering the lay out...we all ended up on the bed at some point as we took turns getting ready...I don't recall what the movie of the day was...but they had good ones that would play on one channel...

I wore those super comfy slipper like shoes:

P1090577_zps2a6c1008.jpg

These britches are a size too big...I kept having to yank on them. I'm still happy I got them before the cruise...and they were very comfy! But kind of annoying...

I wanted ya'll to see that I wore that plain gold chain and the brown dangle earrings with the red posts.

P1090578_zps7b61b9f7.jpg

And again...without looking at the Fun Times...I'm not sure what happened this evening. Whatever...we had so much fun. :)

HMC is Carnival's private island. So sweet.

Have you seen the cartoon, Recess? If so...TEN-der...might make sense to you.

It's a tender port. With our FTTF, we could have had a priority boarding. We could have presented ourselves to guest services and been personally escorted to the island...IF we had woken up in such time that that would have made a difference...

This is all we did today...beach day. No excursions planned. We were just going to go see the whitest beach...the finest sand...it was, technically, the most beautiful beach DS has experienced in his life.

We packed prepared for today. We had soft sided coolers. We managed to fill this with ice pretty easily. We had one soda of choice each, one bottle of water each, and one Gatorade each in that cooler. We also brought one Nalgene bottle each for filling with water at the island BBQ.

I wore my cover up on the tender and to the beach. Also my Tevas.

P1090580_zpsfeae54b4.jpg

That would be condensation on the lens of the camera? Because it was so humid? Oh yes.

So that's my cover up. It's a pull over head kind of thing. I like the sleeves because it COVERS. But wow...it was kind of a pain to put on again. I'd don't recall that issue two years ago? Probably because I'm bigger now and the cover up is actually my size rather than a size or two bigger.

This is my fabulous chocolate brown two-piece.

P1090582_zps3aea76a2.jpg

Same top as the one piece. The twisted style in a bra cup. But, separates. And the bottoms are shorts. Hand on the hips, Ladies...shoulders even.

On the lounge chair to my side...you can see my purple cover up over my hat and my tote bag.

mousey...I think you said something about wanting to do HMC. You MUST. It is SO GOOD.

I was surprised that the water was kind of cool? Seriously. It wasn't horrible but it was a raise on your tip toes as you continue forward and gasp as the water hits your belly and below! :eek:

And then it was lovely.

There was an island BBQ. Two hours. Kind of like the buffet on the island. As per the reports...the jerk chicken was the STAR! Also loved the fruity cole slaw. I know, it sounds weird, but it was super tasty.

Not a single dessert was worth the calories. Not one.

Just sayin'.

Having the refillable water bottles was a big time score. HUGE. Note to self. Bring one.

We wanted to kayak. We thought we would after lunch, because the sports hut close to us...well, the kayaks had been rented prior to. But we went at 1:35 pm and we were told that they were closed for the day. :( So, note to self...rent early.

The sun was intense and I was concerned for my lily white self and so I put on my long sleeved rash guard. Yes, I own one. There was a comedian that has a set about a long sleeved swim shirt? Cracks me up...but still...I put on my WHITE long sleeved rash guard to help protect my skin. And my hat. And I was an ODD BALL. Don't care.

At this point. DH also had his rash guard on. DS had it on all day.

The beach day is a good day. We were close to the bar from which my fav DJ was cranking out the tunes. I heard the Zumba set and I was a happy camper. For the benefit of Margaret and any other fans:

Timber (with Pitbull)

Some other Pitbull

Danza Kuduro by Don Omar

Limbo by Daddy Yankee

It rained!

It was comical the way that the people left the beach en mass. It's a terrible thing to get wet at the beach. :rolleyes: Granted, it was later in the day...

But we lived in Texas for too long...and sure enough. About 10-15 minutes later...SUNSHINE! :cool:

We were on the last tender to shore. A mere 3:00 pm.

Standing in the line, waiting to board...this is when we broke out the Gatorades. MOST excellent. After a day in the sun...much needed rehydrating.

And this is what I have to share for tonight! Pretty all sure. Maybe.

We debated hitting the pool deck first? Our shoes were covered in sand? There were showers on HMC, but still. You know how that goes...the shower isn't right there and so you have to keep walking...and walking on an island means sand.

We decided to just go back to the cabin and deal as best as we could.

Here's where the Carnival bathrooms really shine. Kind of ugly? But seriously functional. The floor in the shower is the same as on the rest of the bathroom. A kind of rubbery blue bubble (raised circles) floor. There is good grip here and a drain in the shower and the floor of the bathroom. The floor never gets slippery. You can make a total mess and you can easily clean it up.

So we could easily shower with our sandy Tevas...and deal.

It was something of a production for the 3 of us to take our turns...wet suits and all...and hang out in our cabin with no sofa or chair really...

I was very happy to put on my dress again:

P1090583_zps79f21815.jpg

There is that necklace and my square amber earrings. You can see my wet hair from taking a shower.

Again...I'd have to refer to the Fun Times to know exactly how we spent our evening...but there was so much to do on this ship. Especially for DS' interest.

DS' loves music. He is a musician and he appreciates MUSIC. The musicality of music, if that makes sense. mousey...I'm so interested to read about your DH. I can't quite speak well on that right now...but DS has said in no uncertain terms that music is a part of his future...and so I pursue avenues of interest always. Really? Your Dh is a musician?

DS is a composer too. Have I shared? He won first runner up in composition contest this past summer?

Anyway...

When I asked the server at D'Waters how old she thought Ds was, she said 19/20. He's 13. He shaves. He NEEDS to shave. He likes his chin beard. But it is a serious chin beard. He looks ages above everyone else that was in his age group for the kid's activities... There was a group of them that came into the piano bar one night...the PB man made all kinds of comments and concessions because they were in the bar...and they were a group and obviously younger.

My furry 13-year old was NEVER thought to be among that group...

Anyway...I take this opportunity to say...we really enjoyed the music on board. A LOT. And I'm sure that it weighed heavily into this night's entertainment.

We slept in this morning...as much as we could anyway.

On our previous cruises, we never were awake in time to eat breakfast in the MDR...or we didn't understand the dress code...or something...but we always ate breakfast at the buffet. So eating brunch in the MDR was such a treat. And there was no pressure on the day because they served brunch until 1 pm.

Today, I wore my last shirt that I hadn't worn before...and repeated one of the cargo capris:

P1090585_zpsbf737ed1.jpg

I love this shirt for the flutter sleeves. This style of sleeve isn't attached under the arm; it's more like wearing a sleeveless with "capes" for the shoulders. It's such a reliable shirt, I'm thinking about trying to make a pattern from it and make a few more for myself.

After brunch, we headed to the pool deck...there was an ice carving demo happening at 1 pm. We had 30 minutes to spare so we headed back down to the coffee bar to grab some needed caffeine.

Now you may be wondering how I got my beloved lattes on board. Well...I didn't. I ended up with iced tea only on the first Sea Day. Then, for the two port days, we had brought on board Starbucks Doubleshots. The iced tea today in the MDR was very weak...so we were in the mood for a latte and we decided to brave the smoke and head to Bogart's Cafe.

Yes. I said brave the smoke. This was our BIG BEEF with this ship. I know that there is a change coming in the smoking policy...but as of the time of this sailing, pax could still smoke on their balconies. So there was one floor at the aft stairs where the smoke obviously would get sucked back into the ship from the balcony staterooms...and it ALWAYS smelled like smoke there. ALWAYS.

And on the main deck...where there was this Boulevard type feeling...bars, lounges, the coffee bar, stores, the casino, etc...it was a very cool theme and place...but unfortunately, smack in the middle, at the Stars bar, which was completely and totally open to this area of ship...you could smoke. I know this is a bonus for smokers...an indoor place to smoke...but I was so disappointed that this area was open to the ship and not behind closed doors...because this whole area of this deck reeked.

When we first explored the ship and went in search of the coffee bar...one of our most fav places on Connie on the last cruise...it was not enjoyable to be there. And so we were never tempted...until this last day of our cruise. I think the timing was good...it was late enough in the day for the previous night's smoke to dissipate and too early for the build up of that day to travel too far afield. We were able to sit and enjoy our coffees.

Up for the ice demo, always amazing. If you've seen one, you know.

Then it was time for the men's hairy chest contest. We urged DH to participate. He totally went out of his comfort zone and did. He was cut in the first round and after seeing the entire competition, was not unhappy about this AT ALL. And bonus, we got a super, awesome, 24-carat plastic gold ship on a stick! This is a trophy in the shape of the ship. They were handed out to passengers for winning or participating in certain things. We had wanted one...BADLY. So we were happy. Yay DH!!

We took a shot at the blackout bingo. We've never done bingo before...but it was actually really fun. This is the biggest potential payout...$1000...they did it in the big theater on board. And, no, we didn't win...but we were very close, heart's pounding, it was some cheap excitement.

We missed Sea Day tea...again. Oh well.

We saw the Hasbro show...which is like a live action game show. Pretty entertaining.

DH and DS also have a thing for table tennis. So we headed back out to the pool deck to one of two tables there. Another plus on this ship. A very nice set up for the tables. I was relaxing...you saw my play photos on my very first post coming back with my feet and the beers. :D

It rained. But we were all set under the covering of the table tennis area. Didn't bother us a bit.

We needed to pack...so back to the cabin. Packing was very easy...took little time.

Soon it was time for the family friendly comedy show at 7:45 pm. One of two shows on board. By far, the comedy shows were adult only, which was unfortunate...because we like comedy and have watched a few that are family friendly on Netflix. Live comedy would be such a treat. We missed the first family friendly comedy show...we were going to make this one.

We dressed for dinner before heading out. We had eaten a later lunch because of the later breakfast/brunch...so we were going to try to squeeze dinner in between the comedy at 7:45 and the repeat of the other big production show at 9:45. I wore my last unworn dinner shirt with my chocolate brown capris.

P1090611_zpse464740a.jpg

Again...the shoes are so comfy. My foot moves around on them a bit? The tee shirt fabric doesn't really keep your foot right where you want it...but for leisurely walking around the ship...and having something very cushy to walk on...great cruising shoe from that respect.

I didn't get a close up of my jewelry...this one is only slightly closer, but maybe you can see the sparkle of my necklace in the middle of my red chest:o?

P1090609_zps71c52d65.jpg

This is the blue topaz necklace with matching earrings.

We never had a problem with YTD. We never had to wait for a table. Service was always excellent. This evening was no exception. If we were eating at a time when the dining room was more busy, as expected, the kitchen would be a bit slower, but if the room was sparse...then the courses could almost be too close...remove one plate to make room for next kind of thing.

We were able to make it to the last show. We walked in right as Adam was finishing his intro talk...seated ourselves right before the house lights dimmed for the "Divas" show. This was not our cup of tea. It was song after song after song of "modern" Divas. I did recognize Madonna's Vogue, Beyonce's "Single Ladies", Katy Perry's "Fireworks", and maybe one or two others? Apparently, of all the music in the world...this isn't what we really listen to...and therefore, the failings of the lady singers was that much more bothersome, I guess.

And by failings...there were two different ladies that were more lead ladies that each had a typical singer's challenge. For the one, her volume would dramatically decrease when she reached for lower notes and then increase again when she was more in her range. It was a little like listening to a bad connection on a cell phone. The other one didn't have any diction, so you couldn't understand the words...all she sang were vowels...no consonants...so when you don't know the words to the song in the first place...wow...really bothersome.

I must admit that I wasn't super impressed...they were talented...but...

We went back to the Piano Bar. This was the last night for this performer. His contract was up and he was leaving the ship the next day and a new WOMAN Piano Bar singer was coming on board. Didn't get her name.

Then we went to try to catch the band, Remembering Melanie. They were very good, but they usually played in the stage area in front of the smoker bar...so we didn't watch them as much, much to our disappointment.

Then the night was over...all the on board entertainment was pretty much over. Time to go back to the cabin.

Since we are all buddies here...and there was such interest in what I thought about Carnival, and Carnival compared to Celebrity...I'm going to chat a bit more...maybe a lot more about things that I didn't include in the previous posts.

Laurie...I thought of you in particular during one of the activities. We were in the main theater...I need my Fun Times to know why we were there...but the Gender Competition was going on. The audience had to split with the ladies on one side and the men on the other. The first have was trivia and the second half was acting. It was a good time. Why I thought of you though...the lady in front of me was wearing hearing aids and she had an interpreter. It was the only time that I saw this...but I was thrilled to see that somehow, an interpreter had been provided by Carnival for this activity.

One of the elementary schools that I attended had a large number of deaf children...so much so that there was an entire class of them. We had a lesson in sign language. We all learned the alphabet and we had to learn the "words" and perform "You Light Up My Life." I don't profess to know a bunch of sign language...just enough to know that the interpreter was doing a bang up job of capturing all the back and forth and smack talk happening during this very entertaining activity. Do you sign? Or is your hearing enough to not need that? I know you wear at least one hearing aid. Anyway...I thought of you in particular.

Trivia...I think Laurie again mentioned that she liked trivia? We didn't do the traditional trivia. This was played at the one indoor smoking bar...so we skipped it. However...we saw that there was a music based trivia in the theater and so we went to check that out. Music is our thing, you know. I'm especially good at identifying songs and having lyrics to all kinds of different songs locked away in memory. So this was run by Adam...it was identify the name of the song and the band from the 80s. He would play it...everyone would sing along and we were SUPPOSED to not sing the lyric of the name of the song. This was so much fun.

So much fun that we made a point of going back for the Classic Rock one the next day...

Because we were in the theater for various activities, we did encounter Bingo. We decided to participate on the 2 for the price of 1 day...which hooked us for the big jackpot day.

DS and I caught a very funny show that we thought was "Get Your Geek On" trivia but it wasn't. It was like "Minute to Win It." Another good way to while the time...

Karaoke. Many many different times for karaoke. We didn't participate in this at all really. It was in conflict with other things we wanted to do. I'm only sorry that we missed one. We caught the tail end of it...it was called "Superstar!" with the one band on board "Remembering Melanie." This was karaoke with a live band...it was really, really good. We had some good singers on board.

Which brings me to the Talent Show featuring our fellow passengers. 5 brave souls got up there to perform. Again...totally dependent on the talent on board, but this was overall, pretty good.

Hopefully, anyone who has a specific thing that they are wondering about will feel free to ask me...I'd be happy to answer. One thing that I am cautious of in reviewing too much is the fact that port of embarkation, specific ship, and specific crew can make such a huge difference.

Oh...this reminds me. The manager of the dining room was such a character. He would do these announcements...the waiters performed a little something almost every night. The night's we didn't experience a performance, I wonder if we just missed it? So the manager was hilarious...ever fly Southwest? Many SW pilots are a crack up...this manager was like that. A total character, very funny...

We did miss our previous Captain on Connie. We liked his accent and his name and listening to him talk...

Anyway...I say that a lot...whatever...if someone has something specific they'd like more info on...please ask...otherwise, I'll consider myself mostly done here...

Anita, I loved reading all this!

First your pictures - I love seeing those earthy colors, and how fitting they were for both your personality and for cruising.

Your review of the ship - wonderful! This is the kind of thing I look for when comparing cruises. I very much like to know about the activities, what the different ship areas are like, and so forth. on RCI you can smoke on the decks on one side of the ship only. On the inside, just the casino. There is no smoking on the balconies. For me, all this is a big deal. I do not smoke, and I don't want to breathe it in second hand, nor have my clothes smell of it. The casino is very difficult for us. We aren't gamblers, but we will spend some quarters in the slot machines, if we aren't there too long.

You look so incredibly happy and relaxed. That is what vacations with family are all about.

Trivia - yes!!! That is my thing. My husband and I have really enjoyed it over the past three cruises or more. This past time, we got our daughters to join us and they love it too.

It's funny how you were mentioning an interpreter. In the past, my travel agent has listed on my reservation that I wanted the door knocker and a TTY in the room. The door knocker is a flashing light that goes off when someone knocks on the door, and the TTY is in case I need to make an emergency phone call. However, for our upcoming room, he simply checked the box that I was deaf. They emailed me and asked if I wanted an interpreter, which I was so impressed by.

I'm not very good at reading sign language. I can sign to others much better. Often, people will ask why and I explain that if you don't know anyone who signs, you never get the chance to use it and you get rusty. We asked once at trivia if it was possible to get a list of questions to read, and they told us yes. What I really, really love, is captioning. There is a little theater on the bigger ships they refer to as the screening room, and I understand you can get a captioning device. I still have yet to try that!

Hearing wise, I'm deaf in my left ear. I estimate over a 100 decibel loss in the right. I'm estimating because years back, my audiologist confirmed I had over a 90 decibel loss and I know I don't hear nearly as well as I once did. I mostly read lips, and I've been very, very fortunate...I have a good life!

I love the music trivia, but that is the absolute hardest for me.

Casey Pelter was the CD on Freedom for our last cruise, and we really liked him. He was great at interacting with people, and not just some people. He really mingled with everyone.

We have been thinking about the Fort in Nassau. We may do that, or take a trip to the Queen's Staircase. I'm good for walking and exercise, but the stairs can bother my asthma sometimes. I am thinking of trying it anyway, depending on how I'm breathing that particular day.

We will have to look for the restaurant. My husband isn't fond of seafood, but I'm sure there are other options for him to choose from. We love finding a good restaurant.

I really love the outfit from your last night, with the brown capris and sleeveless shirt. So pretty!

I will be posting some pictures this weekend. I have three dresses to try on and show you. One is the red dress, and we will see what that looks like in a picture in my kitchen. The lighting is really good in there! I think the style is fantastic, but the red...we'll see. Then there is a short lace dress in Rojira brown. I think that is what the color was called....it migrates from brown to purple depending on how the light hits it, but it feels earthy and it is a flattering style. Very easy to wear too, just pull it on over your head!

The last one I decided wasn't the right color and I haven't even tried it on yet. But I'm going to, for pictures. Blue is one tough color. for us. I find that it is much harder to see that line where it become a warm color. I thought fur sure this dress was a warm blue when I ordered it, but I worried it might be too bright. Then it came in, and it seems very muted but cool? I figure if I try it on and I'm in the kitchen, the pictures will tell the story. You never know, I may feel different when I see the pictures.

Since I'm a month and a half away, I'm going to start finalizing my outfits. Sometimes, shorter cruises are super easy, because I can pick my favorite things, and not really second guess myself. When a cruise is longer, I find that I get wishy washy for the second half. I start asking myself if I want to wear something different, and overthinking it.

As much as I don't want to, I have to bring some sneakers or closed toe shoes and pants. We scheduled a behind the scenes tour, and they have some dress requirements. I am thinking I will probably wear pants of some sort on the way down, and the same outfit will get worn home. Maybe the pants can do double duty, and go on the all access tour. It will likely be cold here by then.

Heck, it's cold here now. We had frost last night! It has been warming up nicely during the day, into the low to mid sixties.

It's nice to hear that you liked YTD. On RCI, it's called MTD, but the same thing. Did you have to make your reservations each day? We go with the later seating each night, but I've thought about the MTD a number of times. How was the dinner food?

Thanks for all the complements Laurie! This was such a welcome break...I did and do relax on a cruise. It is one vacation where I truly feel like I'm on vacation...my brain shuts off a bit, which is something that I have a very hard time doing regularly.

And I wasn't feeling wonderful about my looks prior to the cruise. When I tried on clothing...I was just getting a bit upset, but I did manage to find some outfits that I felt were attractive and worked with my new shape rather than fight it. I just bit the bullet so to speak...my men knew that I wanted a photo of myself with most changes of clothes for my Pictodiary (I trained them well in Disney when I used to be all over writing food reviews and took pictures of all our food...they would have to wait to eat until I got a photo! LOL!!)

There are three forts in Nassau. I chose Fort Charlotte because it was the biggest one and the one with dungeons...which I thought would be very interesting to see. It also happened to be close to that Fish Fry place and so that was just the thing to do for us.

There are so many cruises that stop in Nassau...so I figure that we will end up there again at some point...and then we can check out the other forts and the Queen's Staircase, etc. I don't recall exactly but that area is near to the Hill...I think they refer to it locally as going "Over the hill?" This is the hill that used to separate the population of the island...Maybe white and black? Maybe free versus slave? It wasn't until some tunnel was finally built that the population that had to go over the hill could get to work and not be already tired...

Unless you have great shoes for walking, I would plan on wearing whatever shoes you need to bring for that behind the scenes tour for walking Nassau. This is what I did...and I was very happy that I did. We ended up cutting across a field or two and having to walk through some tall grass...closed toed shoes were a necessity and enabled us to have more choices in how we got from point A to point B.

I think Celebrity called it MTD, too, which makes sense as they are the same company. We had MTD on Connie and Mom made reservations for us each night. This wasn't even on option for Fascination. I don't know if this is true all over the fleet? You just went when you wanted to eat. I loved this.

I do think that we were blessed with our timing on a few nights...we hit the dining room at just the right time to avoid having to wait for a table. I think the way the dining room was set up...there were three distinct sections. The middle section was up 3-4 stairs, and thus taller than the outer sections that were along the windows. So the middle section looked over the other sections to see out either side of the ship and the windows. But you had to sit in either outer section to get a window table.

The middle section has mostly large round tables. I think that is where the assigned seating was located.

Along the window sides, this was the unassigned seating.

On Carnival, you checked into the podium. You gave your room number and they verified that your entire party was eating together...and then your servers would call you by name still, which I thought was awesome. One thing I've heard people potentially dislike regarding YTD/MTD is the lack of relationship, and thus, potentially service, associated with service. We didn't have this problem, at all.

I do believe that it helps to be friendly in the first place. Look people in the eye. Smile. Then I think you are treated in kind, by and large.

As for the food...

Like previous cruises, the menu is a two page menu with one page being the same every night. The other menu is "Today." A unique feature on the Carnival menu was the "didya" appetizer item. As in Did ya ever try (changed daily)? DS enjoyed that aspect of the menu...he tried alligator, escargot, and was excited to see sushi (one of his favs). DH tried frog legs. And I can't quite recall what the other night was...

I thought the selection was very good. A decent variety. Our executive chef was from India. When I learned this, I determined to try the Indian Veggie entree that was on the Everyday menu at some point. When I did finally order it, I learned that it had been changing every night, but they chose to not reprint that page each night for one menu item change... That dish was incredible. It was actually three different dishes...each served in its own ramekin...it was like a mini Indian buffet. FANTASTIC.

DH ordered this a different night. I think a lot of people ordered it? Because the smell was pervasive that night...and he's was also amazing.

In my best Chopped critique...I can tell you that the plating wasn't spectacular. Some of the plating was in an older style...a style that I've heard the Chopped judges say would have been popular 10-15 years ago?

Most of the food was very good. There were a few misses for me...I found that most of the soups I tried were a bit too salty for me. I didn't love them...

I don't eat fish skin? The skin was served with the fish and it wasn't crispy and when I took it off...the fish wasn't so flavorful? The Seafood however, was excellent. They served lobster on formal night...I think this is the only night they do...served with shrimp...both were very well prepared.

We had a big mix up one night. The night I got the Indian Veg, both my men were in a meat mood. They both ordered the Chateaubriand.

The Fascination doesn't have any signature dining...nothing that you pay extra for. However, they have 3 or 4 menu items that you can order for a flat $20 which I think are something that would normally be served in their steakhouse equivalent restaurant. So the kitchen made a mistake this night and DH and DS were each served the filet from the pay to eat menu. Huge apologies from our server...AND she brought the Chateaubriand.

OMG. There were 4 plates of meat on the one side of the table! And me there with my Indian Veg. It was kind of perfect actually. We all ate from all that and it was AMAZING.

There was evidence on the Sea Day Brunch that some food was not made to order but was sitting under a warm light. My eggs Benedict looked so strange. The sauce wasn't saucy...it was dried over the eggs. Tasted okay...but it wasn't attractive. And there was nothing else on the plate...which also wasn't attractive.

So on the next one, I got what DH had ordered...the Huevos Rancheros. Call me picky, but I expected runny eggs...and when they came overhard...I didn't send it back, I just asked for runny eggs to be brought to me.

The soup at brunch was outstanding...

The pancakes were DENSE...not my fav. But I make fluffy awesome pancakes...

The bread at brunch...or whatever you call those amazing rolls that are full of air and melt in your mouth? OMG...

It can be hard to be pleased about some food when you are pretty good cook, which I am.

Overall...I would say that the food was tasty. The desserts were incredibly good. I understand all the fuss over warm chocolate melting cake...it's like pudding cake. That's too much for me...but I'm not a huge dessert eater and if it is too much or not that good...I can leave it.

Tiramisu, Banana Cream Pie, Chocolate Bread Pudding, Sherbet, cheese plate, and one I can't remember...ALL excellent.

Carnival also had a nightly entree item that they called from "the comfort kitchen." Meatloaf was there one night...I don't recall them all.

I was disappointed that there wasn't one lamb dish. I love lamb and earlier I had glimpsed that there was going to be lamb at the buffet...and so I thought for sure that there would be lamb in the MDR. But I was wrong. And I was pretty bummed about that.

We never ate dinner in the buffet. The buffet dinner changed nightly...so did lunch. If you think of the mall food court...there were two areas that changed nightly. One was a theme...could be Italian, etc., and the other was "Good Eats" and just the items offered here could change.