All things EARTH...

Hi Anita I have really enjoyed your cruise review and pictodiary. Sounds like it was a wonderful and relaxing vacation. Like Melody, I have been trying to decide whether I am Earth or Fire and enjoy all the advice and hints everyone shares on this thread. I have 2 wks til I cruise and hope to get DH take some pics of my outfits. Since I am usually the cameraman I don't often have many.

Bev

Ugh! I hate when I type up a long post and then for whatever reason it just disappears!

Anyway,

Anita,

I loved your review and your pictures. You looked lovely in all your awesome choices and it was nice to see you smiling and obviously having a good time. Would you book another Carnival cruise do you think? Did you like it overall?

Yes, the DH is a musician/songwriter and so is the DS (he plays piano and guitar but his expertise is in songwriting. He won a VH1 John Lennon award one year and has won lots of other awards but I won't bore you with the list...LOL.) Both he and the DH have had their songs recorded and included on several albums. They are both members of ASCAP, the songwriter's union (the DS is one of the youngest ever to be inducted into ASCAP). They get to vote on songs for the Grammys and we attend the Grammys every year. It's really a lot of fun. The DS is taking several music classes this semester and is enjoying them a lot.

Well, I'm off to FL tomorrow for 10 days! Can't wait to see my family!

Laurie,

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I'm going to try and see if my DB can help me post some of my pictures.

Edited by mousey

Awesome review Anita. Most of our cruises have been on Royal Caribbean but we did one Carnival cruise on Elation that had kind of the same decor vibe.

We go on cruises only every few years. Our last was a transatlantic in 2011 and we have one planned for November 2015. So I am seriously living vicariously through these reviews. Our next cruise goes back to St Thomas which is where we got married in 2004. My husband commented today that it might be interesting to renew our vows when we are there next year. Not sure yet if we will actually do it, it was kind of a surprise to me that he considered it but it might be kind of nice. DH and I had been together for over 10 years when we got married and had a small destination type wedding. Now that has me really thinking more about clothes and really planning for this trip. And losing weight. Lol. Always one of my goals.

Truly enjoying this! We've never cruised Carnival. One Norwegian & since that all Celebrity. DH just surprised me (& that's hard to do) with a cruise on 30 Nov on a Royal (Navigator) out of Galveston for our 45th anniversary. So now instead of 5 months to lose that pesky 15 lbs, I have 65 days 😱. Think I need to go peruse that cruise closet! Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[ATTACH]325650[/ATTACH]

Just a totally unrated thought here. My daughter did my nails. Not my kind of color but it is growing on me!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Laurie,

You're branching out--yeah! It does take a bit of getting used to with new nail colors, I agree. When I first tried some not coral colored FIRE nail colors, I felt a little awkward, kind of like I was trying to be a teenager again. But, now I love the bold colors, especially on my toes. On my toes I feel I can be as bold as I want because not many see them :D

Anita,

A real PICTODIARY!!!!!! Love it. You look wonderful and it sounds like you had a great cruise.

I have been on 1 Carnival, 1 HAL and 7 Celebrity cruises. I like Celebrity more for the food and upscalness. We loved the HAL itinerary but, it was definetly an older crowd and I would go on Carnival again if the price was right. I thought their food was a step down from Celebrity but still very good. I didn't have to cook it, serve it or clean it up--how could it not be good???? The Carnival cruise had a great itinerary and the price couldn't be beat. I just wasn't a fan of the decor but again, we were going for the itinerary and price for that cruise. I have chosen different cruises for different reasons I guess. My DH has only been on 1 cruise with me and that was the HAL cruise. At first he thought he was going to hate it but every day he said, "this isn't so bad" and by the end of the cruise, he said he would like to go on another :) Score!

Anita, I think you look especially good in the teal print outfit! I'm always wondering about the lighter colors in any of the palettes. Wonder why most of us seem to prefer the darker bolder colors in our palettes?

I just love how all of you accessorize, I wish I had that talent but, alas, no! My talents lie elsewhere I guess. The next cruise we go on, how about I take a picture of all the accessories I have and the outfits I've chosen and you guys accessorize for me:eek:

Anita, does your DH like to dress in EARTH colors? Does he care? I think my DH might be an AIR. He doesn't give a hoot about what colors he wears other than no brights and not fond of stripes. Whenever I buy him clothes, I try to buy in the AIR palette.

You are so fortunate your DS likes many of the same things as you do. it sounds like your cruise was a wonderful family experience. So glad you shared it with us!

It's funny how you are asking about Anita's husband being earth, and if it matters to him or not.

I am an earth as well as my younger daughter. My older daughter is fire. My husband is air. Alyssa, who is earth, loves black, but always breaks it up. She does try to find earth colors, and tends to stick with black for shoes or pants. She is drawn to a few unexpected colors, such as royal blue.

Stephanie, who is a fire, loves earth colors. She works in Eddie Bauer though, and is expected to wear their apparel as much as possible. I find it very much air, with plenty of black and ice gray. She goes with the air colors rather than the black and gray.

My husband loves all sorts of colors, but will often ask me if he should be wearing certain color. He does love blue a lot.

If we are shopping together, the whole color theory thing gets discussed frequently, and we all try to make good choices.

Anita! Fun fun fun!

Like others have said, you look so happy and relaxed. It was fun getting a peak at another cruise line experience. I enjoyed your review and comments so much.

I really like your clothing selections. I think the pictures reveal the all the thought that went into your choices based on what you were planning to do, and what a successful packer you are. I think your hair looked really cute. Big thumbs up on the hat. :)

In your absence we talked a bit about ageing and all the changes that happen, things we have to deal with, what makes us unhappy sometimes about how we look. Thank you for posting all the pictures, even though you maybe didn't want to... I hope you feel all the EARTH love coming your way. BTW love love love that brown bathing suit. And that teal top. And, pretty much everything.

It looks like our next cruise will definitely be a Panama Canal in March. I'm looking forward to visiting Costa Rica again, I felt like there was so much to see that we didn't get to. Other than canal day it will be very casual and active which I'm really ready for.

We nixed a tentative plan to go to Niagara Falls for our anniversary in November, so I'm hunting around for something to do for a 3 or 4 day getaway before Christmas.

Margaret, Taylor Swift did some commercials for Cover Girl a while back, I think. I was having trouble trying to figure it out. She does a lot of subtle changes with the hair color, but I have been thinking she may be air? I am thinking it is either air or fire, but definitely not earth or ice.

My daughter got me a pair of clearance shorts at Eddie Bauer. I've been watching them for a while, and just couldn't figure out if they were earth or not? I may have mentioned it a few pages back, but I can't remember. Anyway, when I start practicing some cruise outfits tomorrow, I will take a picture of them. I think they are an earthy blue. I think.

Anita, you've really inspired me to start some wardrobe planning! I'm always excited to do that, but I've been thinking how appropriate your choices were for your activities, itinerary and the ship. I really want to make good choices for all of it.

I hope to wear this swimsuit on the cruise, and I plan to have a picture taken of me in it. It isn't always easy to find brown, is it?

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Shore-Club-Espresso-Plus-Size-Crossover-Swimsuit

I mentioned having another one that isn't quite right, color wise. In real life, the blue and brown are fantastic. However, the white is...white. I took a bit of a risk with it, but I do like it.

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Belize-Breeze-H-Back-Swimdress

I don't know if it was my timing or what, but I get sales notices almost weekly from here, and I got these much cheaper than what they are showing for here.

I plan to bring and wear both of them. I know that with Cococay, that is definitely a swimsuit kind of day. Hopefully, the large amount of jelly fish that are there right now will dissipate a bit! I don't want to get stung!

I'm not big on the pool, but I do like the hot tub (when it isn't overcrowded) so I will bring the 2nd suit for that. This upcoming cruise is only 4 nights.

Anita, I think there are a lot of similarities with cruise food sometimes. I admit I don't eat in the Windjammer...we love the dining room for breakfast each morning, and we also eat there on sea days. Port days, we go for something native!

My most memorable cruise meal was from the last trip on Freedom, and the first night they had horseradish crusted salmon. I thought at first I might regret it and that the horseradish would be overwhelming. I was not. They used just enough to infuse the flavor in the topping. It was incredible. I could have ate it every single night. My next favorite meal is when they have turkey. Traditional sounding, I know, but they do an excellent job.

At lunch time, they have rolls in the dining room that the serve with tapenade..I love it and I don't even care for olives that much!

Thanks everyone! Sharing is a lot of fun...and yes, Margaret, I DO feel the love. :)

DH is definitely an EARTH. At times it matters. DH's life is such that he has several "wardrobes." I know you working ladies that have a dress code of sorts will agree. He has his working wardrobe...long-sleeved dress shirt base, but rarely a tie or coat. He has his exercise clothes (some very specific for tennis) and his lounging clothes. He also has in between clothes? Not lounging, but still casual, and that is the wardrobe that has the fewest choices, for sure.

So for colors, it depends. He has several dress shirts that are his color...but then, he also has the classic blues, white with blue stripes, etc., that scream conservative business because he deals with military clients, who are very, very conservative. Both of his suits are EARTHy...his blue one is deep and like my nail polish! LOL and a muted black with a golden pin stripe. His sport coat is total EARTH. He could care less re:exercise clothes and his love for super bright orange and lime and blues shine through there...

I think it's a healthy mix, actually, and easy to do when you can compartmentalize your clothing for your activities...

Me, I have exercise clothing and all my other clothing, KWIM? So, it works much better for me to try to make all my clothes as EARTHy as possible.

I remember Curt talking about how our coloring fades but it never changes. Once Earth, always EARTH. The Color Me Beautiful book talked about how, when you hair fades, what looks best on you may change...but Curt negates this. I have to agree with Curt. I recall him saying that it was a good idea to look at photos of ourselves as young children, and if we were interested in hair coloring, to go for whatever color we were as young children. I think this was because most of us had lighter hair as a child...getting darker as we age and then fading out again...so try to color to that lighter color rather than the darker color and it will look more appropriate.

I have a theory regarding how to tell if you are EARTH or FIRE. You have to know for sure if you are warm...but if you are torn...take a photo of yourself at night, in the dark, with a flash...make it a horrible photo so that your skin is totally overexposed. Your skin needs to show white. Depending on how your skin shows white determines if you have the thicker EARTH skin or the more translucent FIRE skin. I noticed this in my family looking at our photos...I'm pretty sure DS is a FIRE. Anyway...his thin skin glows like crazy when overexposed, while DH and mine's skin looks like overexposed skin, more shiny than glowy. I don't have any of those photos on this computer...maybe I'll track them down...I've been curious as to whether or not my theory is true...or was that just DS' young skin that did that?

Laurie...that color looks like it has a bit of purple in it? Nice! It's always fun to try to figure out what polish is going to go with the majority of your outfits.

To answer the question if we would sail Carnival again. We definitely would. For one, the OV cabin was quite large. I know that the comparable Celebrity and Royal cabins are much smaller. The food was good. The entertainment was good. There were aspects of the Fascination that I LOVED...some not so much, but the whole smoking thing is something that I think I can deal with, especially because there were things that were so far on to the positive side of the equation...

However, our next cruise will be on Celebrity. I need to get a new ticker! Did we share already? It's another family Spring Break with Mom and Dad. We are sailing the Summit out of San Juan. Super port intensive cruise. Should be awesome!

I'm using this cruise as another motivating factor to get back on track with my health and fitness. As I was going through my clothing, I realize that I have several things that I wanted to wear, wanted to bring, but couldn't because they didn't fit and so I am hoping that I can relose gained ground so to speak and be able to show off a completely different wardrobe next spring!

I love both of those swim suits Laurie! What do you use for a cover up?

I am having to seriously think about new ideas for a cover up for Spring Break. I was really annoyed with the pull over the head cover up. It felt too much like dressing and undressing in public...I didn't love it. I want something that is more wrap like or at least is something that is belted and not a pull over.

I found that I was wishing that I could just wrap myself up quickly for a trip to the bathroom at the pool. I didn't love going back and forth across the pool deck in my suit alone...and maybe that was because I was more self conscious than I would be in a trimmer me...but I don't think so...I think it's nice to have a little skirt or something to cover your rear end, etc., because try as you might to get a panty top bottom to stay put...sometimes it creeps when you walk and it would just be nice to not deal with that...because I seem unable to ignore the discomfort. :o

But I would also like something a bit more than that...something that would work for being covered for a longer period of time...or travel to and from a beach. Many ladies had strap less dresses...the kind with all that smocking at the bust? IDK...looks weird to me with straps showing...it's okay on other people, but I don't love that look on me...too much uniboob.

I like the V-neck to break up all that chest! :cool:

I think we will be in swim suits A LOT on this next cruise...lots of ports...I think 6? so this will figure heavily into my clothing choices.

Laurie...I was very happy that I had thought about the trip so much. It worked for me to separate out the day time and the evening...and having bottoms that would work for the day time as well as evening. I don't think I would have needed too many more clothes to extend this wardrobe from the 5 nights to 7.

Packing for 4 nights can be challenging. You do just as many activities in a way...so you still need all those changes of clothes!

I would like to plan a getaway around the holidays too. We really have nothing much planned from now until Spring Break...and that's too long.

DH loves snow. I have to figure out how to get him to some snow this year. His bday is Jan 1...which is fun, but also something of a pain expense-wise because of the holiday rates. IDK...but I'm looking into different ideas as well!

nixed a tentative plan to go to Niagara Falls for our anniversary in November, so I'm hunting around for something to do for a 3 or 4 day getaway before Christmas.

How about Boston or New Hope ,NJ or Woodstock ,NY or Mystic Seaport ,Conn.? November is probably too cold for Mystic Seaport . We have gone to Washington ,DC a few times in November and it was great . No crowds , great hotel prices & lots to do . Boston is one of my favorite spots so I can always find things to do there . New Hope is artsy , great restaurants & interesting .Woodstock also artsy .

Laurie...so you mentioned that you thought maybe AIR for Taylor Swift?

Well, I was able to find an example here of what I was trying to say before about having an overexposed photo taken at night highlighting this one quality of the wearing clear colored set (FIRE/ICE) vs. the wearing muted colored set (EARTH/AIR).

Here is Taylor Swift is such a photo. Notice how glowy her skin is...it's like her skin is absorbing the light and is glowing from within:

taylor-swift-final-night-2011-cma-music-festival-13.jpg

Helen Mirren is AIR...a beautiful, almost ALWAYS dressed for AIR AIR person...and here is what happens to such skin in the same type of super bright flash situation:

showbiz-helen-mirren-olivier-awards-2013.jpg

The light just sits on top of her skin. It almost makes you want to describe her as having "thick skin."

To find an example of an older FIRE...Meryl Streep is a FIRE...and I think she is more of a contemporary to Helen Mirren...and here...you can see the same kind of absorbing of the light in a bright flash and fairly overexposed skin:

Meryl-Streep.jpg

This is an absolutely HIDEOUS photo of Meryl Streep but it perfectly illustrates what I'm trying to say...here she is with Helen Mirren:

goldenglobe2007ca025jj.jpg

This is that thick versus thin skin...the EARTH/AIR versus FIRE/ICE. Streep has NO COLOR in her skin AT ALL...she had dead skin because she NEEDS to have a clear color reflecting up into her skin...her skin absorbs it like it does the light and thus shines out in all it's glory. The thicker skinned EARTH/AIR ladies can't take all that brightness...we need that muted coloring because we have that thicker skin that has more coloring to offer on it's own.

You see...it has to do with the way that light plays on your skin...it is fairly easy to see in black and white...Mirren looks like "thick skin" compared to the glowy Streep:

meryl_natasha_helen.jpg

Now that you see it in a different way...you might be able to see it just a little in this type of photo. It's the thick skin that just get more "pictured" so to speak versus that thin skin whose details go more and more away with more exposure because the skin itself is absorbing the light:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9DkjrgR9Ewo/TSxPNJCz5AI/AAAAAAAAACQ/QZhWIj4BzU4/s1600/gg51.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Judi Dench is either AIR or EARTH for this reason. I know someone whose coloring is so similar and I have the hardest time telling. I think it's because we can't really get a good photo of them without all the makeup...and we have to rely on that makeup being done properly...KWIM? So I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward EARTH for Dench.

Anita, I think your observations are absolutely correct, and my daughters are a good example. In this picture, the are both wearing makeup, but Stephanie is a fire and Alyssa is earth. Steph does hae that translucent skin, doesn't she?

StephandAllycasual001_zpsf225d806.jpg

Yes, they both play with hair color and so forth. Steph is a bit redder than her natural color here, and Ally did one of those ombre type things to her hair. but you can readily see the skin differences. Here is another photo of them:

StephandAllyformalnight2001_zpse0e6cf27.jpg

I think that this is an important aspect of the color theory, and will really help me down the road. You always have such a good way of explaining, Anita!

Wouldn't it be great then to see Taylor Swift in the right colors, and the right hair tone and make up? She is quite beautiful.

I'm going to post pictures now of the three new dresses. I have a good idea what I am thinking about all three, but I won't comment on the color - only the style. I am thinking about what you've said, Anita, and I want to see what you and the others are thinking.

Number uno: the red dress. I can't say enough about the style. I felt very attractive in this style, and it was one of first times in a while where I didn't see the need to make a bunch of adjustments, other than the hem. It's wrinkled, and the dryer would have taken care of that. I just didn't want the tag to get tangled up in anything because if it isn't right, I need those tags attached to take it back. I think there are pictures with and without the flash.

IMG_2541_zpsff9c1ea0.jpg

IMG_2539_zpsb1ab4931.jpg

Now here is the Ralph Lauren "is it purple or brown?" dress:

IMG_2538_zps8318d6cd.jpg

IMG_2537_zps216c9aa7.jpg

Next up is the blue dress. I have to tell you something funny....I ordered this from Bon Ton. When it came in, it was in this tiny bag. I opened it, and they had ripped the plastic at the top to remove the hanger so it would fit into the tiny bag! Weird. Anyway:

IMG_2534_zpseacb31c0.jpg

IMG_2535_zpse8019476.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts on these three dresses! Like I said earlier, I think I've made determinations on all three, but I want to see how this lines up with what all of you think.

Anita, here is my beach cover up, or at least the main one. I too have one of those that has the smocking at the top like a tube top, and I wore it last cruise. Honestly though, I hated it. It is the worst possible style for me.

IMG_2561_zps5cbefc98.jpg

It's a yucky picture, but it is a warm chocolate brown. I got it a long time ago from Chadwicks. They still carry very similar coverups.

I'm on a roll here...laundry is going, I took a bunch of pictures this morning, etc. I will wait to post cruise clothing until after we talk about the dresses and all. I don't want to hog pages of this thread. I get great feedback from all of you though.

First off...Laurie...you look great! REALLY great. The styles of all 3 dresses are wonderfully flattering. Really, really flattering. I think you look lovely in all three.

Honestly...I think the red isn't quite right. But I'm not sure that I care. It isn't horrible and that dress is amazing on. I'm not sure what isn't right about that color? It just doesn't seem to be as skin tone friendly...IDK.

I think the other two are spot on. Even the blue. I think your skin looks great. Blue is so hard to see...but seriously, I think you got a good blue. I really do.

I love that red dress though. I don't think I could return it...

And yes...I totally see it in your daughter's photos...if you look at photos of Mom and I, you can see it too.