All things EARTH...

Ladies...I went in to place my order at JJill this morning...there's an extra 30% off sale merchandise. I did have my promo code entered...not sure if that is why? But there was that notice on several of the items in the sale section.

I opted to order a Heritage vest. I got the green color. I had a vest when I was younger, growing up in the SFO Bay Area and I loved it. I wore it all the time...it was just perfect to add that extra bit of warmth. I think that this will serve me well here. We'll see.

I also picked up a pair of slim leg pants (they look like what I'll describe as semi-fitted leggings), not too tight, not too loose. On sale with the extra 30%, I think this will really help me as I try to slim down again.

I also picked up two tanks...one in the same color as the pants, which I hope will make a nice column outfit that I can wear with one added layer (hoodie, jacket, cardigan)...and an orange that I'm hoping will be muted. If you like tanks...it's called the perfect tank...there are two in the sale section...one comes to $6.99, the other $10.49 after the additional discount.

So that's the extra that I'm adding to my wardrobe to try invigorate my fall wardrobe. I think it will be good.

Laurie...about that red. When I bought it, I thought I was buying a rust color. It doesn't look like it will be a red at all in the bottle. I find this pretty frustrating, how different paint looks wet compared to dry. The deal with Ulta is also online...the buy 2 get 1 free. They have the different collections there still...the SFO collection and also the Coca-Cola collection that Mom says has the awesome EARTH green.

Anita , I love the nail polish color . That is a great red . I have those JJill pants & I like them but I do not put them in the dryer . They have a lot of stretch to them & the dryer tends to shrink them .

Ooo...Thanks for the tip on that! Usually, I don't put rayon in the dryer...especially in a woven fabric...sometimes I will put a blended knit in though.

I had to get out of the house because of the pungent chemical smell from some repair work done. I decided to head out to Ulta and Total Wine. :D Anyway...the SFO collection is alive and well in the store, but the Coca-cola collection is basically gone. This is good news for everyone that wants to see that red in person, please note, again, it's looks very brick red/rusty in the bottle.

So...without the ability to get the one polish that I was really after...I went on the grand search for the right lip color. What happens to me with my "party face" is that I get my eyes all done and I don't have a lip color that can stand up to my eye drama. I was tempted to find a red lip color...and that is just about impossible. OMG. They all went very berry-like on me and looked SO wrong...

So then I decided to follow along with the ladies that talked about more of a brown lip color? (My lips are kind of brownish to me...) and I found a color that is like my natural lip color but very deep. Perfect. But, I still wanted to go for a red look...so the hunt for red lip gloss began. OMG. Another trial to find a warm red...but I think I found one.

So here's the lip I got in "Stand Out". It feels great on. More like lip balm than lip stick...not that I've tried a lot of lip stick.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5320039#

Here is the best swatch representation...it's on the far left:

PIC_5053a.jpg

Here's the gloss...I got "Ruby" which actually does have the golden, metallic look to it that you think you see:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1190224#

Now to experiment with my nighttime/party face! I have quite a few opportunities coming up that warrant taking the time to look nicer than my every day and I want to be ready for them and feel more confident in my appearance. :)

Anita, I love the way you shop for makeup. I admit that the main change I've made lately to go from everyday to party is add lipstick and sometimes I forget to do that! That is why I picked up the eyeshadow, so I can figure some things out.

I've got a few good lip colors, and one reminds me a lot of your new choice! This here is my favorite:

LaurieandBrianformal001_zpsd69f2302.jpg

I would really like to try a gloss like you posted, and also find a toned down color for everyday. I would like to have some variety.

We have an Ulta just up the street next to Dress Barn. I really need to make it a point to go up there and check things out! My daughter tells me to go without makeup, and they will do one of their makeover thingies. However, I'm a bit wary, as not everyone understands he whole warm and cool concept the way we do. Still, I could find some eyeliner and lipstick on my own!

My daughter LOVES Ulta. If I mention going there, she'll be in my car waiting before I can even grab my purse, lol.

I haven't really checked out JJill. I will need to do that. It sounds like they have some really nice stuff.

Ulta can be fun...Sephora is more fun for trying cosmetics IIRC...there are many testers in Ulta...but I think you can test everything in Sephora...

I'd be careful of who you get to do your makeup at Ulta. I was listening/watching this one woman work with this younger than me lady (I'm terrible with ages)...anyway...I did not like the lip color she helped this girl find AT ALL. The girl loved it...and I could tell that the makeup artist just guided the girl with what she already had in mind...sooo...IDK if this is the best example...but with all our lovely color knowledge...I was looking at this lovely brown haired beauty with freckles and an obviously warm complexion wear a very purply/rosy color that stood out like :eek:...I wanted to see her in a warmer color so badly...

She reminded me of my youngest SIL. Similar coloring, delicate looking, paler skin. She loves to wear gray, of all things. I think she actually LIKES looking pale and kind of fading into the background.

Point being...I don't know that I would trust the Ulta workers. I've had excellent experiences with the Trish McEvoy counter at Nordstrom. If you are looking for someone to show you what you could do for a look...I've worked with them in a couple different locations and they have been excellent.

Infact, it was one such person that said that I needed to be careful of a lip color that would have too much orange in it because I had so much orange in my skin. I was like :eek: because I had never heard that before. I don't know if anyone remembers the Color Me Beautiful book, but the deal with that system is that Fall/Autumn has an orange undertone, Spring a yellow undertone, Winter a blue undertone, and Summer a pink undertone.

It gave me justification for not really loving coral on me too much. Too much orange.

I'll have to take some pictures of my new stuff!

I'm all into this right now...one of my Curves ladies came into Curves on a non-work out day and she was all made up. OMG. WOW!! Her hair was done. Makeup on. You had to do a double take to recognize her... In a way...I kind of want that reaction tomorrow for the ladies reward luncheon.

I'll teach Zumba and then have to hurry home to change and get ready for the luncheon. It'll be the first time that anyone will see me in non-exercise clothing. I really want to have that WOW moment.

I told my daughter that if I let Ulta do a makeover, I would not let them convince me to buy a cool toned product. Actually, I think I can pick out foundation, powder, blush, very well on my own. (I need to improve what I currently use for blush, just have to find it)

I'm more into the concept of using different products, to see how they work with my skin. It has been very dry. And those dark circles.

I'm going to toy with eyeshadow and nail colors a bit.

Lipstick - what I really want is a lipgloss, and then I'd like to try one of those matte lip stains. I don't know if it would be idea for me or not. But that is all part of experimenting, right?

Anita, take pictures of the things you try and the colors. I would love to see them!

Speaking of pictures, I did take pictures of clothing for my May cruise last weekend that I haven't posted. I think it would be timely, because they are good for this time of the year, where it may be cool enough for a jacket, or maybe just a long sleeved shirt. I will do that this weekend sometime.

At the moment, I'm wearing an animal print jersey crossover style top, with brown denim like pants. We are just going to a local pub style restaurant to catch the game, but I love to dress nice when I can, and all this talk lately about how we feel and what we wear has me thinking a lot lately about the little things such as today's lunch. It just feels good, you know? Maybe I will try one of my lipsticks...

I went out to dinner three times this week, and our conversation really inspired me to put on my party face and think about it while I was doing it. I had some AWESOME food this week. I didn't think about my diet at all, just enjoyed food and wine and friends. I am happy the weekend is here so I can rest!

Anita, I am jealous of your nails. Mine are always short, and my nail bed is just barely longer than it is wide. For our March cruise I really worked at polishing and hydrating so I did have nice nails for that, but they don't last long at home. I am not always very kind to them. That red is truly an awesome EARTH color.

Laurie, how is your ear? I'm with you, on a cruise I like to dress nicely for dinner and I enjoy the MDR experience. I'm glad you liked the LLBean stuff. I liked that brick red vest too, but I don't think I wear vests. Not something I've thought about a lot. I always wear brown/black mascara, but there are plenty of browns out there if you hunt. I live in an ethnically mixed neighborhood so our drug stores mostly carry black, I have never seen brown, but Maybelline and CoverGirl Lashblast (my favorite) both have brown, as do the finer brands like Clinique, Lancôme, Estee Lauder (just to name a few). I like that one Anita posted, I may go to Saks and check it out. It's an interesting color.

Your red lipstick is a lot like the one I wear, which is Clinique Berry Freeze. It's red, but a brick red. If I want it lighter, I just put lip balm on first and then it looks more like a gloss. For night, I use a lip stain (Cover Girl Outlast lip stain in Canyon #626) with the Clinique over it. That way as I eat and talk the night away, I don't lose my lips (which tend to the thin side, I think). Or, if I want to go really glam, I'll use the lip stain with Buxom Big and Healthy in Barcelona on top. It's very glossy so I save it for special occasions. :) Also it has a peppermint taste that sometimes competes with food, so something to think about. Because of the whole skin cancer thing, I never go outside without my lipstick. Even in the boat I'll wear a nude color and my mascara. :)

Blush is tricky. So many are too cool or too bright. I'm fairly happy with my Clinique Sunset Glow. What I like is that I can use a light touch for day, or pile it on for night time. It's similar to a bronzer? I can use it summer or winter, though, and it looks good regardless of whether I'm tan or pale. At work with the fluorescent lights, a light touch with makeup is really important. At night, in a dark restaurant, I'll definitely put more blush on. Cover Girl has a nice color called Brick something, but I can't always find it.

Wool. Definitely an issue for me. I do get itchy, especially around my neck, so I always have a silk scarf with my winter coat, or some kind of wool-looking synthetic blend. If I wear a wool sweater I have to have something on under. Because of hot flashes, I don't tend to wear sweaters indoors very often. The ones I wear to work tend to be long cardigan-like things that I wear like a jacket.

Evening eyes are a whole other story, so I'm going to break now and take my DH out for lunch on this rainy, dreary day.

Do you know how hard it is to take photos of yourself to show off makeup? OMG. Very difficult.

Anyway...I think this is a not so lovely photo...but I'm sharing still. Here is my ladies' luncheon face:

P1090675_zpsae0736e0.jpg

P1090677_zps28e5408b.jpg

I have so much eye shadow on but you can hardly tell!

My lid color is "Mimosa" by Ulta:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5080023&skuId=2252704&_requestid=355448

Upper lid is "Sunburst" by Ulta:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod11001299&skuId=2271541&_requestid=356433

On the inner eye (by the nose), right under my outer brow, and even a bit above my cheek is "Stardust" by Ulta:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3570089&skuId=2231939&_requestid=358423

In the crease is a deep olive color...it's from this compact, the lower left color:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rFf4FBP3-_c/TxETcXqWxWI/AAAAAAAACQs/3QQYl_uIvO0/s1600/_DSC0335.JPG

The eyeliner color is a teal color. I do the outside, above and below. Mascara is that Khaki Bronze by Chanel.

The lip gloss wore off on my coffee...but the lip color stayed strong. This is a good representation of the Stand Out lip stick by Bare Minerals.

What is crazy is that I don't think I look like I have tons of makeup on, but I do. And when I first put on the lip color...it is so much darker than my natural color...it felt very goth to me...but then I saw this photo, and I thought that it looks so NORMAL. It's amazing.

Please ignore the state of my skin. I do have a redness reducing primer and a light BB cream on. No blush or contouring...which I think I could really use and should play with...and you can see the melasma on my face...

I don't love these photos...funny how out of shape it looks...faces really aren't symmetrical are they? And when you hold your camera, your features get so disproportionate...

So again...I would bet that Stand Out lipstick would look great on all of us EARTH ladies. I did play with adding the lip gloss on top...the red made it nicely red...a golden color I have was very nice...and a bronze color was good. So I think this is an excellent base color to lend support to that more hint of color achieved with lip gloss. I'll have to get a picture with the gloss not worn off. I like this look on me a lot...I prefer the lip color to hint at going into the different colors rather than actually being such a strong statement.

Now especially, I feel like I need to work on my nighttime face...because I was so surprised at how little all that makeup showed.

So glad that we are all encouraging each other to have fun and put our best face forward (so to speak)...sometimes, I feel so lazy...but I must say...if you catch a glimpse of yourself in a mirror...or when using the ladies room...it sure is nice to see the effect of the effort.

btw...the ladies luncheon was lovely. It was at a private residence which has been decorated a bit for fall...I'm motivated to get some seasonal spirit in my own house!

Anita, I like the way yours eye are done. My daughter is at work tonight and tomorrow she works until 6. I am thinking we can experiment after she gets home. In the meantime, I decided to do my nails. ImageUploadedByForums1413069752.450494.jpg.9cadb1ba839ced7b15cbeeb4a6ccbec4.jpg

As you can see, my nails are very wonky. They are thin so when the grow, they get all funny.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ImageUploadedByForums1413069742.003309.jpg.f08cce60b61fa1525fd2187c1bda085b.jpg

The lip color is a great choice. I have to say, I picked up a very red lipstick today and Indy have gone too strong. It seemed right at the time but I'm not so sure now...I should take a picture and post it. I think it could work for a party face.

That's a pretty brown nail polish, Laurie! Yeah...your nails are a bit wonky. Here's what you do...don't paint all the nail. Seriously. Mom has gifted me with several manis/pedis over the years...it's something we might do together when I would go to AZ to visit. And I noticed, the techs don't always paint the entirety of the nail from skin to skin.

They seem to pick a point that is a paper thin slice away from the cuticle and will vary the edge on the sides of the nail, making a very clean edge. With multiple coats that edge becomes clearly defined and purposeful. The idea is that you use the polish to give your nails the appearance of a more consistent shape.

Here's a post on the concept of making nails look slimmer:

http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/2012/07/thinner-nails-in-10-minutes-or-less.html

But the idea is the same. You don't have to paint YOUR NAILS. You can paint a shape onto your nails. If you have a hard time doing that, they sell a bunch of clean up tools that you can use to clean up the edges of your nails and give the edge a clean look.

I have to do this for at least one of my fingers. My index finger on my right hand is crooked and the nail grows a bit funny. It gave me fits when I would paint it because I felt like the paint just emphasized how wonky that nail was...so I paid close attention to what the techs did to that finger in particular because it didn't seem to look funny when they did it. And that's what they did, they painted a shape that looked like my other nails onto that nail and left parts of the nail unpainted.

It sounds like it should look weird, but it doesn't. You can find TONS of nail images online. There are so many bloggers that paint their nails all the time and give reviews. The more you look, the more you see the technique that makes the nails look their best.

I have to do that wonky thing on my crazy toes, which I got from my father, because none of them are the same shape. Fortunately I have my mother's hands. :)

Eyes! So fun. Anita, your pictures reminded me of how lovely and surprising your green eyes were when we met. Usually we're posting pictures of clothes and the eyes are too small to really register. It's nice to see them up close again. Love the eyeshadow, btw.

Here's what I did today for our lunch/movie date:

eyesMJC01.jpg

eyesMJC02.jpg

It's basically a frosted taupe all over the lid, with a peachy/orangey color on the outside of the lid and crease for some contouring. It's very subtle, however I probably wouldn't wear this light frosted color again for day. It does tend to highlight skin imperfections. It looks like I put a lighter color in the corners, but that's just the light catching the frost. I'm at the lake, so I don't have my usual toolkit, but at my age now I would choose two matte colors instead. I also lined my eyes with blue, and smudged it with a Qtip, and then mascara. Ta da.

My Star Trek tshirt isn't EARTH, but I was just going out to sweep the porch. I use all my old non-EARTH tshirts for housecleaning and gardening now. In case you thought our cottage was a rustic log thing, you can our living room is full of green and blue, and very light. Totally opposite of our apartment, which is earthy and warm.

For evening eyes, I used to experiment and play a lot, but now I stick pretty much to one of three looks, depending on what I'm wearing. I'll talk about those next.

Edited by MJC
add info

Here’s how I came to think about color for eyes. I studied art for six years in school, so I think about color in terms of the color wheel. That has a lot to do with how I ended up having some very bad colors in my wardrobe! I think the following is a great color wheel because it is based on organic color groups, namely the colors seen in flowers. No pun intended, but I think it helpfully weeds out the really bright colors you see in a traditional color wheel which don’t really apply to us.

ColorWheel2.jpg

I’ll use my eyes as an example. They are muted blue, but I have a lot of goldish brown in them so they really read as the tertiary color blue-green. So, in painting, to create harmony we would go with the two colors next to blue-green, which are blue on one side and green on the other. In practice, though, blue eye shadow tends to be too cool for me, no matter how light or dark, and green just doesn’t do much for my eye color, so I don’t wear them. In the blue family, I stick with a muted denim blue or a very dusky teal (many of those are too bright as well). In my opinion, if you’re going to wear your eye color, it has to match very, very closely or it will overpower your eye and be all about the shadow. For EARTH ladies that means muted, muted, and more muted. Anita has found a wonderful olive green. In blues, that’s much harder to accomplish. I will say that most drugstore type brands will not carry many muted colors in eye shadows. They don’t show well in the package under fluorescent lights.

The second way painters think about color is not to create harmony, but contrast. This is where the drama can come in, because contrasting colors enrich each other, and you’ll find colors that really make your eyes pop. If you look at the wheel, for me the contrast color opposite blue-green is red-orange, not a great color for eye shadow. Next to that is red, pink, maroon… also not good choices for an EARTH. But on the other side is orange, salmon, rust. Those colors look awesome on me because they make the blue look bluer. I think it really helps to look at your eyes and understand the colors in there. Like an impressionist painting, they mix and create an impression that is greater than the narrow definition of blue, green, brown, hazel.

The wrinkle for me is that, if I choose to, I can highlight my golden brown spots instead of the blue (my right eye is ¼ brown). When I wear EARTH purple, they really stand out. If you look across the color wheel from yellow, you’ll see our EARTH purple there. If I wear purple, I do a plum eye shadow and get to feel like a brown-eyed girl instead. This is also why I love my copper coat. It tends to highlight my brown spots. In my previous post with the blue shirt, you can see the brown section in my right eye. For some reason it looks very dark when I wear light blue.

So. I realize this is a lot of blah blah blah about color, but I hope you find it helpful. Even for someone who had her picture taken a lot (for work), you can tell I’ve spent way too much time thinking about makeup! I find it a lot of fun, though, like coloring for grown-ups.

Edited by MJC

Wow. You both do such a good job with eye makeup! I haven't started my experiment yet. My daughters both worked until 6 tonight, and we held off with dinner until they were both home. I love it when we all have dinner together.

Plus, we are discussing the possibility of getting our dog Harvey, a bit of company. I'm not sure how well a rescue and Harvey will get along, plus the two we are looking at are pretty interesting. They are both small dogs like he is, and Harvey really doesn't like other dogs that much. What are we thinking, right?

Oh, any my ear...it is way better! When I went this week, I was told that it should feel way better this time because the infection was clearing up nicely. For that reason, I've got my hearing aid back in and there is nothing blocking the ear canal right now. I get some twinges here and there, but it seems pretty good. I don't go back until the week after next, unless something changes. I am kind of nervous about it. I think I had an infection for a long time, and just got used to it. I'm worried I will do the same thing again. But, that is where the follow up appointment comes in. The doctor will know right away if it isn't getting better or getting worse.

Three weeks until I cruise!

I have tomorrow off, so I will post some of the pictures I mentioned that I already took of clothing for the May cruise that also works right now for the fall. Also, there is the dress and I'm not sure about the shoes I want to wear with it..

Well, I practiced on my own last night and did awful. I will need my daughter's help for sure. I think I also need warmer,ore vibrant colors. These are almost too neutral except that extremely dark olive. ImageUploadedByForums1413202543.393572.jpg.ca40bf09501e8159ef495158a6b769ea.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1413202531.786437.jpg.01f043b777467e95264cd6e516e97442.jpg

I know we all live in different areas, and have different weather. The pictures I'm posting today are nice because some will work for the May cruise, and with may also work when we decide to cruise Alaska. I also wear these outfits at this time of the year anyway, and it may work for those of you in warmer areas that have some cooler weather occasionally.

IMG_2589_zps050463a1.jpg

Here is one of my fleece pullovers:

IMG_2586_zpsfe51783b.jpg

IMG_2585_zps09667c7c.jpg

Another fleece pullover:

IMG_2582_zpsf6853c0e.jpg

Is this too cool?

IMG_2580_zps2c693c5d.jpg

The teal here is warmer than it looks. I don't really like the shirt with the scarf though. I'm actually wearing that scarf right now, with the green shirt from the first picture in the previous post.

IMG_2579_zpsb03c1cfb.jpg

I LOVE this jacket type thing. It's just a single layer of fabric, but you know, I have a thing about red...

IMG_2576_zpsa47deba9.jpg

IMG_2575_zpsfe185974.jpg

You may recognize the scarf. I wore it for embarkment on the May trip.

IMG_2573_zps27a9b2b0.jpg

IMG_2570_zps0427f93a.jpg

If it's cool, I can always use a scarf instead of a necklace. It's not the best, but it looks better on as an outfit in real life...

IMG_2569_zps3190a266.jpg

I love both of these shirts. The one on the left is sheer and has some sparkles. It came with a jersey type cami to wear under it that is a wonderful matching brown. The olive green shirt on the right is gauze like, so it will travel well. It's pre-wrinkled. :D

IMG_2567_zps35b25179.jpg

Some of my favorite shirts. 3 of 4 can be worn to work. The crossover style ones look very nice with my brown suit, but I wear them outside of work as well. As a matter of fact, I wore the animal print one on Saturday to lunch.

IMG_2565_zps21a1d517.jpg

And that's it. But these are all items I already have and wear on a regular basis. My biggest concern is that some of them really say autumn, and I will be cruising in May. When we go to Alaska down the road, it will likely be during July or August.

What are your thoughts? I think just about everything is earthy, but I have doubts one shirt. In some lights, it looks more air, and in other lights, it is more of a earth tone.

Laurie, it's always fun to see your clothes. I especially like that pumpkin colored fleece with the scarf that has the leaf pattern. Yummie.

I have to say, I think those eye shadow colors are too cool, and maybe the dark one is too dark. You can do a smokey eye with any color, it just has to be a good color for you.

blue:

eyesmokyblue.jpg

teal:

eyesmokyteal.jpg

green:

eyesmokygreen.jpg

plum:

eyeplumgreen.jpg

and the old standby, brown, though I think this brown is too cool:

eyesmokybrown.jpg

I have done a smoky eye with a cool brown and it just makes my whole eye area look muddy and dark. You can try a tad lighter brown that is much warmer and still get a dramatic evening look. JMO.

BTW, I've also made a purple/plum shadow mistake and ended up looking like I'd been in a fight. It may take some experimenting to learn exactly what particular shade in each color will work on you. It's worth the effort, though, if you think about your eyes as being another accessory for your gowns. :)

Margaret, I think you are right. The three color eyeshadow kit looked warmer, and I was quite put off when it came in to see it looking so smoky gray like. With the quad, I think the colors are warm overall, but too light. When I put them on, you really can't tell, or they end up looking too chalk like. The peachy color in that set is pretty good. I think I have an idea of what to look for now.

It seems I avoid the darker colors because I worry I'm going to have that black eye look that you reference. The reality is that it needs to be the right color. My eyes are hazel, and a lot like the picture you posted with plum shadow. I think my eyes are a tad darker, more olive like.