All things EARTH...

We were posting at the same time, Margaret, but I think you latest picture is what I had in mind. I'm seeing it now, and I realize that I'm choosing colors too light. (except for that grayish green, which is too dark and cool) I think that is definitely a color that could work for me.

I have the day off too. :)

When you try different shadows, keep in mind that with hazel eyes, what you are wearing will influence the color of your eyes and therefore what the shadow looks like. I'm thinking of how green your eyes look in the formal you posted most recently. In a way that will be a lot of fun for you, because you might look good in a wider variety of colors than I would, for example. You might want to take some of your scarves shopping with you, and see what the effect is on the shadow you're trying when you drape the different scarves on. I always try shadows on my arm first, because sometimes that will tell you right away that they are too cool or too bright (especially the blues and greens). Once I eliminate those, I'll try what's left on my eyes.

Oh! Such fun!

I agree that those eye shadows are way too light. They remind of me of what I would try over and over again...going for a more natural daytime look, and I would hate it and think that I didn't look natural at all. It wasn't until I tried that dark terracotta color "Mimosa", thinking that I was trying such a dark color...and saw how it looked so natural...blending into my skin so much...that I realized that natural looking for us can have a highly saturated color.

Margaret, that Mimosa color is really terracotta...the closest thing to a red orange that I've ever seen.

I love that color wheel! That's one of the best ones I've ever seen...I love how the relationship of the darker muddy colors relate to what is typically seen in a color wheel.

I love your eye Margaret, I really do. That blue is awesome. You clearly have the same darker rim around the main color part. Laurie, do you have that? I can't tell. My eyes are mostly greenish...but that rim is a blue/gray color...and my eyes have gold flecks. Make up artists always would go toward purples because of the green and now that I think about it, because of the yellow flecks. But the purples they would pick would be more lilac and plum...and I'm not sure that they were the right purples.

After looking at the color wheel, I'm wondering if I could find a deep maroon kind of color...maybe if I went looking for browns, I could find a brown that would read like a maroon? It's an interesting thought.

I like that blue smokey eye a lot, too. I have cleared out my makeup collections over the years...and don't have many different colors to play with...hmmm. Mom got a very fun collection with all different kinds of colors for her to experiment with...I'm wishing that I had something like that...Hmmm.

And one thing that I've known for a bit...but especially after seeing all these lovely eyes...and yours Margaret...I need to clean up my eyebrows! I haven't paid much attention to them lately...I did an over pluck a while back and so I needed to ignore them for a while so that they could fill in again and I could kind of start over.

You have some very nice combinations Laurie. I think that you could have something for more warmer weather too for the beginning of your vacation in Southern Ca. mousey could talk more about the typical weather there in May for sure.

Laurie the fleeces will be good at night but if you're thinking during the day you might be too warm. Maybe layer a tank or tee under & you'll be fine. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are a couple examples of matching your eye color, blue with blue, and green with green. I once read that you should never wear the same color as your eyes, because the chemical colors in the eye shadow will always be more vivid than your eye. But, in my experience, if you look around a place like Sephora or a department store, you will usually find something that works. Maybe you will have to wait a season, but you’ll find it. Spring is a difficult season for EARTH makeup colors, usually.

Here is a blue that I think is not right, and too intense for this eye:

eyetoobrightblue.jpg

And here I think this creates a lovely aura like effect around her pretty blue eyes (I think this is Kristin Bell?):

eyematchblue.jpg

And here is a green that is way too cool and clear for this eye:

eyetoobrightgreen.jpg

And here, while very colorful, it seems so harmonious:

eyebrightgreen.jpg

OMG eyebrows. I have to tame mine with a whip and a chair. I do think that if you at least clean up the brow bone it opens up your eyes a lot. With declining estrogen levels, women tend to get thinning in the outer half. I use a very muted brown brow pencil to supplement my natural brows there.

Laurie, my sister and a brother live in Seattle, so I have been there often in the summer. Any colors that you would wear as an EARTH would be fine there, it seems to have a very woodsy, nature-colors kind of vibe in general. I might feel just as out-of-place in an all black NYC ensemble as I would in bright tropical summer duds. From what I've seen of your clothes, pretty much anything you have would work just fine. I wore a sleeveless dress to my brother's early June wedding, so you might want to plan on some lightweight layers too, and I think those scarves will come in handy.

And here, while very colorful, it seems so harmonious:

eyebrightgreen.jpg

OMG!! I love this eye! This is what my eyes really look like. The blue rim, the green middle, and hints of gold! I might be able to do this one with the makeup I currently have.

Margaret...it'll be very hard to see that color on my eyes in those photos...It's my lid color. And even though I was facing a window, I don't think the light was as helpful as it could be...nor was I very heavy handed with eye shadow...I tend to have a light hand, I think.

I love to play with eyeshadow but never know what colors I should choose. My eyes are very dark brown. When I was younger I wore a lot of purples on my eyes. Recently I went to Sephora to get my makeup done and they did my eyes all in browns. IMO the colors they chose looked muddy on my eyes. I am blind as the proverbial bat, so I wear contacts or glasses all of the time. I just got new glasses this year that I really like but are likely very wrong for my EARTH self. They are blue around the lenses and flowered on the arms. They are kind of statement glasses. Because of them though I am a bit lost on what to wear on my eyes. I wore contacts only for a very long time but with these glasses I actually prefer wearing them because I think they make me look like me. I will try to take a picture and post it for you when I go out to lunch today.

There are so many factors to consider, for both us and for when Curt was doing his analysis.

Pictures can look completely different in different lights. The makeup you choose and the hair color you choose also play a role. I know this isn't skin tone, but let me give you an example:

IMG_2615_zpsf86442c3.jpg

IMG_2614_zps10ff267f.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, is this your natural hair color? If not, do you have any photos of yourself without your hair colored?

As Anita has says, one photo doesn't prove anything. Looking at your photo though, I almost said air...maybe it's the pinkish tinge to the lipcolor, or the hair color shade.

Of course, this would have been the same things Curt would be looking at, so whatever photos he had looked different than this.

I was just looking some things up, and I found pictures of you with your darker hair on page 4 of this thread. OMG, this thread has been around a while, lol.

I have to say, the change in hair color looked very different from what I just saw, but I really can't say for sure. Sometimes, when people are talking about hair and say the color red, my first thought is earth or fire. In most cases, I would say that is true. However, some people have a reddish cast to their hair that is...not so much highlights, but part of the hair color. I know, that didn't make any sense.

I don't know if any of you have ever watched that cable show Royal Pains. I haven't, except once or twice, but I've seen the commercials over al over. The two brothers both have a reddish coloring to their hair. It's not red allover, nor does it change in the light. It's just there. Anyway, I got to thinking that if I took the time to watch the show and see some closeups, they might be air.

So, for whatever reason, I'm thinking air or earth, and I could still be completely wrong. I'd love to see a picture of you without makeup, taken outside. Up close. Then see some different colored shirts on you? Keep in mind, your hair is whatever color you make it but at least when makeup is removed, your natural skin tone is there.

I'm just rambling here, but I am thinking that your hair color can have such a big impact to our thinking.

I trust Curt.

Nice work Laurie! I didn't remember those other photos. I looked at them.

I know that I was just shocked to see Cholla look like she does in the picture...hair such an ashy color instead of golden, eyebrows a mousey brown (sorry mousey! lol!), lips painted a rosy color, wearing what looks like a fuchsia kind of color. These are all the things that I can see...and none of that looks EARTHy.

WOW. Cholla, that is quite a change on the hair color...what is it called? Is it an ashy, kind of platinum blonde? When I look at the old dark, reddish brown...that doesn't necessarily look too EARHTY either...but it's closer. However many years later, I look at that photo now and think that red is a bit on the cool side. You need something that leans less toward wine and more toward auburn.

I wonder if the dark color you were picking before was too cool and that is why people said it washed you out?

I used to think that navy looked very good on me...but after taking some photos for the color parties we did a while back, I know that the navy I loved totally washed me out. But it was a very ICEy navy...and of course, that would be the absolute worst because ICE is the opposite of EARTH. I was just attracted to the richness and depth of the color...which DOES look great on me...in warm, muted colors.

What color are the eyeshadows that you have on? That looks a bit cool, too...

The thing that is a bit rough about what Curt's ability is...he doesn't always clearly spell out for you how he came to that conclusion. This is what he did to Mom, IIRC...he just told her with walking through the reasons why at all...and then she did the big change on the hair color and that was that...when her hair was brought back from being so faded out and into the right shade, and she put on a color that was closer to being Fire...OMG...the change was amazing. But she had to kind of do the things that needed to be done in order to validate what Curt just told her.

For me...he worked with me a bit differently. He had to help me even out my hair because it was all sun bleached in the length and dark on the top. It was throwing off the way that I was photographing...and he was having a hard time getting the photos to prove EARTH v. FIRE. So we did a whole lot of back and forth action and I could clearly see the result in the photos.

Again...I have to say that if you haven't ever really seen the photos that clearly show you shining in your EARTHiness...then it may be hard to embrace a color scheme that is so foreign to what you have been attracted to for so long...

On a different note...

After Margaret posted the color wheel...I was saying that I should try to find a maroon kind of color? OMG. So the compact that I linked to before, the Sephora compact with the natural eye color scheme on one side and the smokey eye color scheme on the other side...the smokey eye colors have a plum color and a maroon color! How funny is that? I didn't realize that before... The compact is for green eyes...Mom bought it for herself, but it didn't work as well for her...she is going to more matte colors and limiting the shimmery colors...and 4/6 colors on that palette are shimmery.

UGH. I'm so tired. I've had three naps today...I'm all messed up in my days and nights from sleeping so much when I was sick. I just work up from number 3...I think I might get back in bed and read and try to not wake up too much more and get a good night's sleep!

Anita, you sound like you are still under the weather. It takes so much out of you. If you need the rest, then definitely do it. You will end up getting better sooner.

Now, I have to say that anyone who thinks everyone who is an earth looks the same is mistaken. However we are all warm and muted. I love to see the differences we have and the similarities also. Chollachick, did you ever order cards? There are hair color choices in there. You are very beautiful. I think you would look great in maybe a dark brown with red highlights. If the gray is getting in the am way, go a it lighter.

Oh, and I love it when our fire friends join in!!

I have one of those makeup kits so I am going to see what colors are in there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just want to jump in really quick to say that Old Navy has a line of workout clothes right now in a dark teal called Victorian Blue:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53934&vid=1&pid=119590012

I just bought these leggings:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53935&vid=1&pid=123067022

Stay away from their current corals, they're very cool.

Well. Melody.

We used to go through this whole rigga ma roll to figure out what everyone was. A whole series of photographs taken in natural lighting, with no makeup, and hair pulled back. Through studying these photographs, we could start to see how the colors affected appearance. Usually, the idea was that you wore a top is the following colors: White, Cream, Gray, Black, Brown, Coral, Aqua, and Navy. Something like that...in quick succession.

Normally, from these, it's the easiest to rule out ICE. Because only ICE looks good in black and white. AIR is really the only one that is the stand out in gray...and depending on the navy...this could be confirmed. EARTH and FIRE look best in the cream ad brown...with FIRE really coming to life in the coral and aqua...and maybe even the navy.

We look for eyes to be prominent, the focus of the photo. For lip color to be defined from the surrounding skin color (this happens with the proper shirt color). For the skin tone to be more even all over...the yellows and the reds in our skin blending into one another and not standing out and making us look splotchy. Also...that the skin actually looks like skin...that there is a naturalness to it...not a monotone look. Usually, when a needs muted where a clear color, they look unnaturally tan...and when a needs clear wears a muted color, they look an unhealthy gray.

So. These photographs really aren't the best photographs for figuring this out because there's no control between these two photographs. And they are small. And your face is small in them.

So the blue makes your eyes pop and the red doesn't help them at all. The blue makes your hair seem less faded than the red. I can't really say anything regarding your skin tone because they are so different, and we don't know why. Are you tan in the blue? You look like you are wearing more makeup in the blue...are you? I don't know if this is a healthy looking evenness or that weird tan effect...

I'm not able to conclude anything with any conviction from these photos...sorry.

If you really want to know...then take the photographs in natural light, no flash, no makeup, and compare the typical FIRE v EARTH colors. When we compare the effects of the colors under the same condition, then we'll be able to see it. FIRE colors are clear and warm...think sunshine yellow, tomato red, granny apple green, coral, aqua. EARTH is any color you associate with fall...army green, rust, brick red, mustard yellow. Compare yourself in these colors and you'll see it much more clearly.

The funny thing in the blue (my official AF photo) I only had eye makeup & lipstick, no other make up...I think the photographer cheated the color a bit

In the fushcia I was tanned with eye makeup & lipstick.

I'll never take a picture of myself without makeup, there wouldn't be anything to see.

That being said I wear a lot of turquoise, teal & blue reds and black. Look awful (now that hair isn't grey) in olive, khaki & yellows & grey. Guessing I'm not an a Earth any longer

Thanks for the help. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The funny thing in the blue (my official AF photo) I only had eye makeup & lipstick, no other make up...I think the photographer cheated the color a bit

In the fushcia I was tanned with eye makeup & lipstick.

I'll never take a picture of myself without makeup, there wouldn't be anything to see.

That being said I wear a lot of turquoise, teal & blue reds and black. Look awful (now that hair isn't grey) in olive, khaki & yellows & grey. Guessing I'm not an a Earth any longer

Thanks for the help. Melody

Oops meant to say now that hair isn't dark auburn

The thing is...your coloring doesn't change. Your skin tone and eye color doesn't change. Hair color does fade...and I have the personal opinion that FIRES probably get the roughest end of the deal with the fading hair color, because they need that color near their face, because they have so little color of their own (thin/translucent skin). They go warm gray and it ends up looking like dull, faded hair...

Unless they are a copper top and go white...which seems to be the fate of a lot of red heads.

ICE goes silver and that just works...AIR's gray totally goes...not as sure about what happens with the EARTH ladies...we haven't talked about that as much...

Changes in hair color is one reason why "diagnostic" photos are taken with your hair pulled back...

I wouldn't look good in that fuchsia color at all...but when I cover the shirt and see you against the background...I think your skin tone looks better in that photo. Not sure that the hair in blending in though...