Packing Full Bottle of Shampoo/Conditioner

dm5201

In my checked bag, will I be able to carry my full bottles of shampoo/conditioner and hairspray? Thanks!

Yes.

What I did was to use my favorite shampoo & conditioner at home till the bottles were half full. I packed them, used them and whatever was left over I threw out.

I did this with a few items and then had extra room in my bags for things I purchased.

I hate having to pack nearly empty bottles to bring home.

By the way, I packed all the items in a gallon zip lock bags just in case they leaked.

Someone on CC mentioned that you could get leakproof travel containers at http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com

I purchased the travel size ones, and although it looked a bit like a chemistry class when I got it spread out, it really works great. The bottles are totally leakproof! You might want to check it out.

Each time we get back from a trip, I refill the bottles (although the conditioner and some of the hair products I use last me about 14 days, and that's showering twice a day).

Jo-Ann

I have to bring my own because I use shampoo for color-treated hair. I can't even get a comb through it without conditioner so I bring it. I thought the small bottles would doom us, but I was able to pack one set of the 3-oz bottles (in the zip-lock) in the checked bags and one in the carry-on. I shampoo and condition every day and it was plenty. Just because I got lazy, on our last cruise we flew to San Juan and I purchased the shampoo and conditioner there at a drug store w/i walking distance. Whatever is left at the end of the cruise (in the big bottles) gets left behind. We have a pump spray type container of hair spray that something happened to in a checked bag one year. That stuff was on everything and several of our favorite shorts and tops had stains that never went away.

Sorry, just can't do the mystery stuff that ships provide. If you don't care what your hair looks like, or what you smell like I suppose the provided soap is fine.

Hmm thanks for the personal attack! Had no idea there was such a thing as "soap snobbery" :confused:. There seem to be lots of other people that use what the ships provide too... :rolleyes:

Hmm thanks for the personal attack! Had no idea there was such a thing as "soap snobbery" :confused:. There seem to be lots of other people that use what the ships provide too... :rolleyes:

I have no idea who you are, so taking this as a personal attack was completely up to you :rolleyes: It was a general comment, not directed towards anyone in particular.

I do happen to care what my hair looks like and the stuff provided usually makes my hair look like straw. I do care what I smell like (prefer unscented) so any soap with scent added to it, no matter how expensive is unwanted by me and others. It also dries my skin out and makes me itchy, taking my own body wash I don't have that problem. Over the years I've read many comments by people wishing they knew the mystery stuff provided was not acceptable by others.

If the stuff works for you, great, I'm happy for you and all the others who are willing to use it. But calling me (and others who feel the same way) a snob because I don't care for toiletries, come on...

OK, I see why you thing it was personal, I quoted your post prior to this.

Believe me when I state that I do not make personal attacks on anyone here. That your post was quoted by me would have been quoted by me no matter who wrote it. It is something that I believe and want to counter, saving some people from making the mistake of believing cruise ships and hotels have decent product.

Don't take it personal. It's merely "conversation". Would you get angry if, in person, someone stated "I don't care for generic shampoo" when it was what you used at home?

OK, I see why you thing it was personal, I quoted your post prior to this.

Believe me when I state that I do not make personal attacks on anyone here. That your post was quoted by me would have been quoted by me no matter who wrote it. It is something that I believe and want to counter, saving some people from making the mistake of believing cruise ships and hotels have decent product.

Don't take it personal. It's merely "conversation". Would you get angry if, in person, someone stated "I don't care for generic shampoo" when it was what you used at home?

It was just the way your post was worded and the fact that you did quote me, I did take offense. If it was written differently then it wouldn't have been such an issue. Along with learning about what bar soap was, I was also taught to "think before I speak" since you never know when you might hurt someone else's feelings, even unintentionally.

Let the soap discussion commence!

I'm not sure which cruiseline's products you are referring to, but Celebrity's products are very nice. And they DO provide separate conditioner, as well as shampoo, bath gel, and body lotion. They are Elemis products, lemongrass scented.

Hi, Jo-Ann. Does Celebrity provide daily shampoo, bath gel and body lotion? If so, this would reduce what we needed to purchase on our planned Target run in South Florida the day before our cruise.

My suggestion is to try one of those travel size bottles at home and see if one would last you for a week. You may be very surprised at how little shampoo and conditioner you really use. As others above have said, all the space and weight add up.
I know this is good advice, but I don't like to push shampoo/conditioner to the limit on vacation. I know it sounds silly, but it stresses me a little to worry about not having enough of my "good shampoo". With the beaches and the hot weather, sometimes I end up showering more often on vacation than I do at home.

As a result, I try to get one of those difficult-to-find sizes that's about the amount of 2.5 travel bottles -- I think they're about 10 or 12 oz, and sometimes you get them free with purchase of a huge bottle. I think Garnier gives them away fairly often. When I get my hands on one that size, I try to hold onto it and refill it over and over . . . but my kids take them away and lose them.

don't know what ship you will be sailing on -- but some of the cruise lines now supply elemis products

because my dh rakes so many medications he found that he was allergic to that product

so

i now have to carry all own soaps, shampoos, conditioners (and hairspray for me) in our checked luggage

Archived