My first cruise ever. A few questions, if you can help.

NODAK1979

We're going on the Spirit out of New Orleans for the April 3rd sailing. I've never been on a cruise before. I've resisted and resisted, but finally I gave in to my wife on this one. Time will tell whether I enjoy cruising or not, but not being in control of where I'm at will be tough to give up.

Anyway...few questions....

The suggested tip amount is 12 dollars/day per person, am I right?? Is it much of a hassle to get this taken off at first so we can make our own judgements at the end?

Soda. Is there a rule against bringing some onboard?? And, if you buy by the can, how much is it? I know about the soda card...which seems expensive unless you're drinking liters of it.

I've heard that crew members try to upsell you tons of stuff all the time. Is this true??

Have you had many problems with thin walls or ceilings?? I made sure to get a room that was both above and below another room...I didn't want to be near common areas. The person who booked the cruise for me say that the ceilings and walls are very sturdy and rooms are quiet. I hope so, because I struggle to sleep otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

It has been awhile since I was on the Spirit, but we did not have any noise problems with ceilings/walls when located between rooms on all sides.

Just note that most cabins on the Spirit don't have refrigerators although the stewards were very good about bringing ice, plus if you get a bucket of beer you can use that as a way to cool your sodas.

We're going on the Spirit out of New Orleans for the April 3rd sailing. I've never been on a cruise before. I've resisted and resisted, but finally I gave in to my wife on this one. Time will tell whether I enjoy cruising or not, but not being in control of where I'm at will be tough to give up.

The suggested tip amount is 12 dollars/day per person, am I right?? Is it much of a hassle to get this taken off at first so we can make our own judgements at the end?

No, it is not suggested. This is a daily service charge and tips are not required. If you want to tip above and beyond the service charge you may. Your cruise will be so much easier at the end with this system. With Freestyle there is no way to find everyone who served you since you have a different waitstaff each night and so many restaurant choices. If you have a problem with service, you can talk to the front desk. They want to ensure they have the opportunity to make things right.

Soda. Is there a rule against bringing some onboard?? And, if you buy by the can, how much is it? I know about the soda card...which seems expensive unless you're drinking liters of it.

Bring whatever quantity of soda you want.

I've heard that crew members try to upsell you tons of stuff all the time. Is this true??

I have never felt like someone was trying to upsell me or nickle and diming me. There are times when tables are set up in various areas of the ship that have things to buy. If you are not interested, walk on by.

Have you had many problems with thin walls or ceilings?? I made sure to get a room that was both above and below another room...I didn't want to be near common areas. The person who booked the cruise for me say that the ceilings and walls are very sturdy and rooms are quiet. I hope so, because I struggle to sleep otherwise.

Because this is a ship, there can be typical noises associated with being on a ship that sails the ocean. Sounds like you did your homework to find the location that would suit you best. That's good.

Thanks in advance!

I hope you have a good cruise. I'd encourage you to keep researching in advance so that you are prepared. You already sound negative about this travel choice.

soda...bring your own, it's easy. no refrig in cabins..unless you make a special request. for water, we bring our own bottles and refill from the buffet or blue lagoon (use a clean glass to fill your bottles)

cabins...we never hear any noise, BUT it can happen. take a small fan to use for white noise. we had a balcony on the deck 9, toward the aft. there are no inside cabins, in that area, less hallway noise.

tipping,...read a few of the other threads about this. in general, unless you want to walk around with your pockets full of of money and running to catch those you want to tip, it's not worth it. the $12 is the basic amount you shouild tip (service charge) it covers the room stewards, all for food servers and everyone who backs them up.

you get different food servers every meal. to tip everyone, at the end of the cruise, would require you being a marathon runner and knowing each person who served you and where they would be that day (they rotate).

since you have never cruised before, especially on NCL, it's hard for you to understand how hard these people work or how NCL works.

We're going on the Spirit out of New Orleans for the April 3rd sailing.

NCL calls this a "service charge" so it is automagicly added to your bill. You can go to the Purser, sorry, Customer Service and fill out a form to lower it. I suggest you do not, the $12 covers a lot of people you don't see as well as all the different servers you experience during free style

Nope, I brought two 6 packs of 16oz coke (NCL is Pepsi) and 6 pack of water in my carry on. If you check it they may open your bag or call you to the naughty room to make sure it is not booze. Though the web site language appears to ban bringing soda/water on board we did not have an issue. Took the items out of the fridge and put our soda/water in it.

They try to sell you things, yes. The Future Curuise certificate (cost $250 with $100 OBC credit) was one thing I always heard. Instant lottery cards etc.I was able to tune it out.

Have you had many problems with thin walls or ceilings?? I made sure to get a room that was both above and below another room.

No issue for us, Deck 9 forward balcony on Jewel. I'm 6'8" had problem with the toilet (knees up against the wall) and to shampoo my hair I just put the shampoo on the ceiling of the shower and moved my head back and forth. No noise problems from any neighbors.

Thanks in advance!

See comments above in red.

Thanks in advance!

Not a soda drinker. But I believe you can. Just stick a luggage tag on it and it will show up in your room. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The tip (service charge) you might as well leave on. You can always tip extra in cash. (that is what you meant right?) If you get terrible service (which never really happens) you can worry about reducing it then. Don't mistake slow service in a restaurant for bad service. If foods not ready, server can't serve.

Least of your worries are people trying to sell you stuff. If you don't want it , don't buy it. It's not like the beaches of Rio where gangs of kids surround you.

You'll find you do have control of where you are. Restaurant, pool, show, your room, bars, the list goes on. I thought the same thing before my first cruise.

Enjoy

My DH was very skeptical about going on a cruise also. It took me over 15 years to convince him to to the first one (Western Med. with RCL). He always said he didn't want to be confined to a ship. He absolutely loved it and said that it was the best way to see a lot of different places on one vacation without having to pack and unpack and move from one hotel to the next. Five years later we were doing the Western Med again on NCL's Jade. Again, he said the same thing. Now, we are going to Hawaii on Pride of America with 2 other couples, and he cannot wait. Go with a positive attitude and you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you will enjoy the ship and the ports.

As for the tipping, I find the $12/day automatic charge to be very convenient. On other lines, you have to hand out envelopes on the last night of the cruise, which IMO is very tacky. At one time there was a thread where one of the posters figured the tipping out and NCL's $12/day is in line with all the other companies' suggested tipping guidelines.

I never experienced any high pressure selling on the ships. There are just booths set up in different areas offering special drink packages, wine packages, etc. But you are not made to feel like you have to purchase any of them. Keep in mind though that some of them are a pretty good deal, so don't ignore them altogether.

I really hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Briton Line: "QUOTE: I'm 6'8" had problem with the toilet (knees up against the wall) and to shampoo my hair I just put the shampoo on the ceiling of the shower and moved my head back and forth.

Try and make a video of this procedure on your next cruise. People will pay money to see it.

Since this is your first cruise, don't remove the DSC immediately. Take a few days to appreciate the service and the feeling of leaving each restaurant without leaving a tip. Also you'll appreciate how your cabin is always cleaned when you come back in the afternoons and evenings. The twelve dollars a day will seem inadequate. You can always adjust it later in the week if you feel the need.

The future cruise deposit is pushed pretty heavily. However it is an excellent bargain and well worth looking into if you are having a good time and would think about cruising again in the next four years. They want to have your repeat business and will give you $100 off immediately and the deposit is accepted at full $250 level when you apply it. Some people buy more than one as they are transferable.

As a rule the cabins are quiet. However it is a floating hotel and as with any hotel it can sometimes be the luck of the draw as to who occupies an adjoining room. On NCL ships this is usually not a problem. It does appear that you have chosen cabin location well.

YOU have the OPTION TO GO TO THE DESK AND GET THE CHARGES TAKEN OFF YOUR BILL IT IS YOUR MONEY, YOU HAVE A FEW OPTINOS TAKE IT OFF 100%, INCREASE THE AMOUNT OR DECREASE IT.

It is suggested they do it automatically but you have the right to take it off

that is a fact.

do not let anyone try to get you to believe you have too

soda is a rip off with the soda card. please bring you own

or as an option when you go to qa port buy some it still will be cheaper than the cruise price

see answers below

The suggested tip amount is 12 dollars/day per person, am I right?? Is it much of a hassle to get this taken off at first so we can make our own judgements at the end? This money covers alot of people who do the hardest things, but whom you either never see [like cutting up all the prep work in the kitchens or washing your dishes] or could never track down [all the dining assistants etc.] I'm not sure why you would want to have it taken off unless you could point out to Customer Service "service unbecoming etc." Most people tip the daily tip and then give extra to cabin stewards or anything else who provides special services. Remember we get to cruise. They work SEVEN DAYS A WEEK FOR 10 MONTHS STRAIGHT. Once I realized that, I felt a whole lot better about paying the daily charge with no questions asked.

Soda. Is there a rule against bringing some onboard?? And, if you buy by the can, how much is it? I know about the soda card...which seems expensive unless you're drinking liters of it. No limit...bring it on

I've heard that crew members try to upsell you tons of stuff all the time. Is this true?? There are TONS of announcements...we've, however, never felt pressured to spend when we did not want to....we do NOT stop for the photographers when embarking or disembarking at any port or on Day 1. We decline pictures taken in the dining room 90% of the time. We don't go to bingo or the auctions. We do go to the specialty restaurants because we like them, but have never felt pressured to go. We also eat in the buffet.

Have you had many problems with thin walls or ceilings?? I made sure to get a room that was both above and below another room...I didn't want to be near common areas. The person who booked the cruise for me say that the ceilings and walls are very sturdy and rooms are quiet. I hope so, because I struggle to sleep otherwise. We've never had a problem with noise from outside the cabin. We did however cancel a cruise when we discovered or aft cabin was over the Spinnaker lounge on the Star after it was moved.

Thanks in advance!

It is not a "suggested tip amount" but rather a service charge that will be added to you account every day. It is a hassle to get it taken off. Remember on NCL you DO NOT have the same waiter every night - so unless you want to tip your waiter every night, you will be stiffing a lot of good waiters by removing the service charge. Also if you remove the service charge, your cabin steward will have to turn over any tip you choose to leave him. If you leave the service charge on, you will not "need" to tip anyone unless you feel that they are really exceptional. No-one will expect it.

I can't speak for the spirit but this has certainly NEVER been my experience on any of my NCL cruises

Once again I cannot speak for the Spirit but we have never had any problems.

YOU have the OPTION TO GO TO THE DESK AND GET THE CHARGES TAKEN OFF YOUR BILL IT IS YOUR MONEY, YOU HAVE A FEW OPTINOS TAKE IT OFF 100%, INCREASE THE AMOUNT OR DECREASE IT.

It is suggested they do it automatically but you have the right to take it off

that is a fact.

do not let anyone try to get you to believe you have too

soda is a rip off with the soda card. please bring you own

or as an option when you go to qa port buy some it still will be cheaper than the cruise price

Yes, it is a fact that you CAN adjust or remove the service charge, but the question remains, is it RIGHT to remove the charge. If you have good service, then removing the charge is just plain cheap.. If you have poor service, you can go to the purser's desk, and they will try to correct the problem, and will adjust or remove the charge as a last resort. The personnel will likely be reprimanded for poor service, so make sure you are not just trying to get out of paying. I have always felt the service charge was inadequate for the service received, and have tipped extra to certain individuals - $12 per day is an exceptionally good price for the friendly service we have received.

You sound very angry.. Did you have a particularly bad cruise?

Robin

when we went on our first cruise (RCI) to Alaska, i too had similar questions. the prepaid tip is well worth it.. we purchased the soda pakage, and were satisfied. but came in by train, and had no time to purchase two cases of pop to bring with. its easy not to buy anything on board, sellers on board are low pressure sales ppl. We are b ooked for another cruise, this time with NCL, and cant wait. I also had concerns with putting $$$ deposit down for on ship purchases, but we watched that close, and came out well.. ( one cruiser had a $2000 bar bill) yikes. for me, but he didnt mind. Let us know how it goes.. We are from ND also. have fun.

Just returned from the Spirit - we chose to reduce our tips by 50% and instead handed envelopes with tips to those we thought deserved it. It was not a problem at all, we went to the desk on the last night and explained what we wanted to do and it was an easy process to have the charges removed.

I know many do not agree with doing this, I just wanted to share that we have done it and it was not an issue.

Not being critical of you, Brockwell, but was the service bad on the Spirit? I'm sailng on the Spirit in June, and it's my first NCL cruise. Should I be nervous?

I'm not Brockwell...but No. Absolutely not. Here's a link to a recent Spirit review. Additionally, within the first couple of pages you will find several other recent Spirit reports.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=79634

• 2 weeks later...

I would not say that the service was bad overall, but our experience was that certain individuals deserved more than others and we were able to reward those outstanding ones by supplementing their tips. Whether it's right or wrong, that's what we chose to do.

If you have a massage or similar service in the spa, the operator will pressure you to purchase expensive products (and sometimes to add an additional tip beyond the automatic one one the bill). You need to be prepared to firmly say 'no.'

Archived