review of the golden 12/16 to 3/2 the ups and downs

echotumi

there where many ups and downs the 1st 3nights as the seas where rough,the CD david said alot of folks where a lil under the weather the 1st 2 nights ,we didnt get sick at all .1st time for me not getting sick ,they had a few pools closed because of the seas ,most folks complained of the weather,

i knew better . this is my 3rd sailing across the pacific. and while it was the roughest 1st few days the whole trip was about normal sea wise. as the crossing back was smoother than normal ,was cooler than the 1st 2 times we crossed . once in nov and feb .

there where alot of people from the uk ,most we talked to at dinner thought it would be warmer.bye the 4th day it was around 70 and we had a lil sun .

one last thing about the weather . were it counted most was in the islands and we had good weather . no rain to speek off and we made all 4 ports yippieeeeee.after 20 cruises we still havent missed a port ,knock on wood ,and have yet to wear our rain gear ,

moving on to the good stuff,

the CD david cole was a highlight of the cruise , his love for hawaii and the culture is Infectious.

elua is onther highlight

as is rachel the Naturalist

all really added to the cruise ,,

our room steward was great ..really went the extra mile and was tipped for doing so ,ok a low spot for us was the bed but our room nija came thru with new beds extra toppers and made it as confy as it could be. robes we had wish we brought our own as there not all that .. beats nothing i guess,after 14 days . wife and i agree we didnt find the pillows all that nice ,,the bedding is nice after we got the top sheet put on the cover is a bit heavy ,

more cabin thoughts while we have sailed princess before and knew going in there cabins are smaller than some other lines,you do get what you pay for we did a inside . we like to sleep on sea days ,we did put the table in the closet area gave us a bit more room ,

on the plus they do have the nicest tvs at sea we have seen so far ,lots of movies . next after i get from checking the laundry is food .

im not a food snob , and food i think is subjective .we didnt lose weight thats for sure.we had anytime dining and we had nooooooo problems but we did eat at 7.10 to 7.15 every nights we share tables so we never waited or made reservations.we did hear of long waits in the downstairs room we ate in donatellas every night ,so as soon as 5.30 dinner was done the seated folks ,i thought breakfast in the dining room was good ,lunch was hit and miss with service , like most lines, dinner service was good ,with most dinners avg time was 1.5 hrs .or less not bad,some of the food we didnt care for but thats our tatse ,they had many choices and i gained weight .i do wish the wait teams would know more about what there serving a pet peeve of mind . that brings me to what the head waiters do on our last cruise with princess every night they would come to the table see what was happing and fix something that wasnt working ,,not on this ship ,they walked around but never came to a table.we only ate in the buffet for breakfast when we where in ports ,,good staff up there ,, pizza was good if u like think crust . and the hambuger hot dog grill was good ,the IC was good but after the 2nd we stayed away ,,we would have to get bigger clothes if we didnt ,

i did like the IC and the atruim but you could never ever find a seat ,folks camped there alot ,nice idea but small space a theme for the grand class i think ,

we did eat at sabatini's service was great , food was pretty good ,very nice room and service ,would i do it again ,, no .im glad we tried it , as the last timed we sailed on the golden . i had gotten ill and we couldnt do it ,,

would we do anytime again yes .. knowing if you eat after 7 ish it works .. or you have to eat real early when it opens ,and stand in line ,next the ship itself .. but we have a planned power outage and i must get off this .

I have sailed this same trip before, and excited to be doing it again in less than 2 weeks! David Cole is a fabulous CD! What were some of the events on board? Did you attend a Cruise Critic meet N Greet?? If so where was it held? Did you happen to see any suites? When we last did this cruise we did it with 3 ppl in an inside room...it was CLAUSTROphobic with 3 ppl...we are doing it with just 2 this trip, and treated ourselves to a suite...really looking forward to the ammenities! Thanks for posting! Very interested in what else you have to say!

Thanks for the comments. We'll be on the Golden in a few months. We always ask for feather pillows and the egg crate foam mattress from Special Services before our cruise and they have them on the beds when we board.

Good to know about your wait times as we also have anytime dining booked.

Dear Echotumi,

My I politely request you at least look at your postings to check for grammar, spelling, punctuations, etc. to make them a little easier to read?

really .. i did put the incorrect date in but im sure most will forgive that,

the timeshare like selling at the elevators,wow 2 spa people or 3 sometimes. shop folks handing out sale flyers,

at lunch right when ur about to take a bite of a salad they ask if you want to go to the wine event.or sell the cook book . then after when trying to eat ur lunch more selling ,same things just a differnt person.

the biggest pain was at the deck party i was asked 20 times if i wanted a drink.when i said no thank you . they gave me the menu for drinks after awhile got so we just left ,since i am clean and sober for 15 yrs now . was a lil bit much ,i did ask for water a few times and they said they would get someone else who never came.

carnival doesnt sell that much honestly.

there are some smells on the ship.most public bathrooms had a odor .and deck 7 as you walk around wow is all i can say yewww smell.

ships have odors but there is some issues,

my wife said that most public womens room had one stall down ,and lines ect.

I have sailed this same trip before, and excited to be doing it again in less than 2 weeks! David Cole is a fabulous CD! What were some of the events on board? Did you attend a Cruise Critic meet N Greet?? If so where was it held? Did you happen to see any suites? When we last did this cruise we did it with 3 ppl in an inside room...it was CLAUSTROphobic with 3 ppl...we are doing it with just 2 this trip, and treated ourselves to a suite...really looking forward to the ammenities! Thanks for posting! Very interested in what else you have to say!

i did go to the meet and greet was i say 50 folks there was nice ,1st one we went to .we had a gift exchange and a few officers where there,was held in sky walkers,events . my wife did alot of with elua, there really nice folks ,i didnt see any suites i did some folks in sabatinins for breakfast ,

noone was ever there, was cold , but the had 2 employees there . and they wouldnt let you in . i watched from the spa pool trow a few out that acted like they didnt know you had to pay , was funny ,, we liked that area of the ship had the steam room sauna and real hot tubs and pool was never crowed .

we like princess ,will sail them again ,the shows were great ,the brit show was good ,we did whant to go to muts but the weather . was cold at night and when in the islands we were wiped from long days .

and we got the pacific life moment . we did the snorkel trip in maui. and we didnt get to go to turtle town because of the rain the night before ,but what a show bye the whales worth every penny ,will never have to do a whale watch again. the breach was about 100 ft away from the boat and it did it 3 times , we must have seen 60 whales and babys and just wonderful.was a good trip,were going to try april next year ,or sept , when the water is warmer

we had wet suits and still the water was cool ,

How Rude:eek::eek:

I think he asked politely. The review is rather hard to follow with sentence runons, no Caps, misspells, etc. It is hard to tell where one sentence stops and another starts, but with a little patience I could get through it.

Even if someone starts their post with a "My I politely request..." doesn't mean their post can't be rude. Sometimes, posts are hard to read, but you might keep in mind the following guideline of CruiseCritic:

"Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies."

that means don't tell people they are making grammar and spelling errors. If you have trouble reading the post, don't read it. Personally, found it a very interesting thread. Did the Golden Princess Hawaii in Jan and this was nice to read what the OP thought of the cruise.

Den

Agree it was a little hard to read but I did and thought it very interesting and a good synopsis of the cruise. I think everyone that has done this cruise has a very good opinion of David Cole and his group, I do.:D

Thanks

Are you on our roll call? We have some GREAT activities planned with our Cruise Critic group! Check out the roll call if you havn't and if you are on there I apologize for not recognizing your name =).

I am! No problem for not recognizing- I don't post a lot. Planning on going to the meet and greet.

I have been on CC multiple times every day just reading stuff because I am so excited about the upcoming cruise and I don't know what to do with myself. So, I appreciate the time that people take to post on here. So, thank you everyone!

Archived