Excursion Choice Help

jpg1747

I cannot decide between two excursions: Châteauneuf Du Pape & Avignon or Arles & St Remy de Provence. What I really want to do is Arles and Avignon, but there is no ship tour offering these two, so of my choices, these two seem the best options. I'm looking for some sightseeing, history, a bit of Van Gogh and winetasting. These are both Carnival tours for the Magic this coming October. I am willing to join a local private tour if I can find one for the same price - around $100-125 for a 7-8 hour tour starting from Marseille. Thanks.

I cannot decide between two excursions: Châteauneuf Du Pape & Avignon or Arles & St Remy de Provence. What I really want to do is Arles and Avignon, but there is no ship tour offering these two, so of my choices, these two seem the best options. I'm looking for some sightseeing, history, a bit of Van Gogh and winetasting. These are both Carnival tours for the Magic this coming October. I am willing to join a local private tour if I can find one for the same price - around $100-125 for a 7-8 hour tour starting from Marseille. Thanks.

You will hit 3 of 4 on the Arles and St Remy tour. I know that I would opt for Avignon though I wouldn't expect a lot on the winetasting. My experience with large group tastings is that the really god things that one might get to on a private tour just won't happen in a group in fact the idea of a large bus tasting might just drive me to Arles! You might get lucky and find something in Arles during your free time (assuming you have some) Another consideration is that there should be less on the buss time on the Arles St Remy tour resulting in a better of chance of seeing things.

We are very familiar with this part of France and understand that the tour company is trying to give passengers a mix of both small and larger cities. The Chateauneuf du Pape excursion will give you some wine tasting (personally we like the even smaller Gigondas village). One reason we seldom ever book any excursion (we usually just do our own thing) is because we like being able to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want. Excursions are always a compromise unless you can put together your own private excursion and choose the itinerary. Posting your thoughts on your CC Roll Call Board (these are specific to your cruise) might help you find others that want to join you in a private tour. If you want to do your pre trip homework and have a spirit of adventure, renting a car in France is another good option (we love to drive in Europe). On the other hand, if you want to spend much of your time in large cities (i.e. Avignon and Arles) you will not have much time to do wine tasting. In this part of France we love the Rhone wine district (Chateauneuf du Pape is part of this region) and there are many wineries open for tastings (degustation) for those who have a rental car or car/driver.

Hank

You should do well. If you wish to splurge a bit more check out Restaurant Oustau de Baumanière in Les Baux de Provence.

Pont du Gard is well worth the extra few kilometers drive. It is stunning.

You should do well. If you wish to splurge a bit more check out Restaurant Oustau de Baumanière in Les Baux de Provence.

Pont du Gard is well worth the extra few kilometers drive. It is stunning.

Thanks, you are among the few here who have made us feel very good that we are adding Pont du Gard. We'll have our kids (teen and tween) with us and we probably won't be splurging on food at that port, especially with the aggressive schedule. I think Pont du Gard, Arles, and Les Baux in one day could be tough and that's the main reason we hired a guide (Provence Tours with Tania).

Thanks, you are among the few here who have made us feel very good that we are adding Pont du Gard. We'll have our kids (teen and tween) with us and we probably won't be splurging on food at that port, especially with the aggressive schedule. I think Pont du Gard, Arles, and Les Baux in one day could be tough and that's the main reason we hired a guide (Provence Tours with Tania).

Pont du Gard is super wonderful. I think your kids might enjoy it. BUT, there are so, so many, many great options in Provence. It's hard (or impossible) to do it "ALL" or even half in just one day via a cruise tour. Hank makes good points. moyaroo is right on "You should do well. If you wish to splurge a bit more check out Restaurant Oustau de Baumanière in Les Baux de Provence. Pont du Gard is well worth the extra few kilometers drive. It is stunning."

Below are some of my pictures from Pont du Gard and other key options. Your small Provence sampler will be a good reason to come back and spend more time here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In the heart of Provence, this is the famed Roman-built Pont du Gard. It's an amazing engineering accomplishment.:

ProvPontGardWide.jpg

ProvPontGardTight.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvenceFlowerMarket.jpg

Famed painter Vincent Van Gogh had many ties to Provence and here is a monument to him in Arles. Many of his best works of art were done in this scenic area.:

ProvenceVVGogh.jpg

Here are two views in Avignon in connection with the Papal Palace that is the most historic part of this central town in Provence.:

AvignonGothicBuildings.jpg

ProvenceAvignonPopePalace.jpg

• 1 year later...

Will be in Marseille port from 7am to only 4pm on Saturday, June 16. Have been looking at options and am excited about Arles. But now I see to DIY it, according to Rick Steve's book, it's 1.5 hours by train each way! Below is the only cruise excursion that goes to Arles (edited for length)

Camargue - Arles & Stes Maries De La Mer - 8 hours

After a guided tour and some time at leisure, you'll continue through the rice fields of Carmargue to Saintes Maries de la Mer, a little seaside village which has grown in the last couple of years to an animated tourist town with arenas, little port, craft shops. Saintes Maries is also a wonderful place to be with children. You can hire a four-wheel cycle, go for a horse ride, spend time at the beach or just take in some nature. After an enjoyable leisure time, you'll drive back to your ship. Note: Tour involves walking for approximately 3 hours on level ground. $99

Is it just too short of a day to consider Arles? and the kind of long train ride there? Is it a scenic ride? We really just want to go to Arles and go to the market , ruins and Musee de L'Arles, so I don't think we'd consider the ship excursion.

What are my options that aren't crazy expensive for the four of us?

Archived