Port or Starboard

pal4404

We are looking to book a CS cabin on the Soltice for the Eastern Carribbean cruise. Looking at the travel pattern it appears headed south it would be best to be on the starboard side. However, when in port what would be the best side. Presently I can book either port or starboard for a 2012 cruise.

We are looking to book a CS cabin on the Soltice for the Eastern Carribbean cruise. Looking at the travel pattern it appears headed south it would be best to be on the starboard side. However, when in port what would be the best side. Presently I can book either port or starboard for a 2012 cruise.

In port, she can tie up on either side. A lot depends upon whether or not they have to do maintenance on their boats/davits.

On very few cruises does port or starboard matter. There is a smoking area on deck five port, so if smoke bothers you, starboard is a better option if booking a stateroom with a balcony on deck 6 or 7. Aside from Transatlantics (where one side receives more afternoon sun) or one way Alaska cruises (where one side has better scenery) port vs. starboard usually doesn't matter. There are various factors that lead to whether a ship docks with port or starboard facing land - so no way to predict in advance for most ports. Also, many ports are in industrial areas so it may be nicer to not be facing land at these ports.

Depends on where the ship is docked/tied up. Remember most ports are industrial areas so there is not that much that is "pretty" to see @dockside.

Carole

Don't know if you are a smoker but we were 6th deck Balcony Cabin Port Side on recent Eclipse cruise. There is a smoking section on 5th deck. We were not directly above it but itt was noisy at night -- spirited discussions -- not sure if from the smoking section or just another cabin.

However, cabin seemed to be on the side to see the sights coming in & out of port. Never smelled any amoke

OP - sorry for my silliness when you are asking a common question. Usually, picking a side only matters on cruises such as TransAtantics when you are heading only in one general direction. Your cruise, although goes South, it also goes North to return, I believe. So, sun exposure and so on will vary about the same amount for either side. And there is no way of saying what side the ship will tie up for your ports in most cases. In fact, in some ports, the side facing the dock is itneresting because you see the island, the port activity and you get to watch who is scrambling to get back aboard just before (or just after!) sailtime. But then, the other side gives you beautiful views of the bay, breakwater, ships coming in, etc.

The smoke areas on the Portside may be of concern, but having used both sides, it didn't matter. At least to us.

Den

you get to watch who is scrambling to get back aboard just before (or just after!) sailtime.

Den

That is one of my wife and mine favorite things about having a balcony. Here is a good shot we took just before sailtime:

IMG_0947.jpg

Just off the Solstice in a port side balcony. On our cruise we had much better views of the port harbor sights on the port side. Otherwise you were looking at the gangway. the street, and other ships. Will not always be the case I am sure.

Archived