Do you have to do the whole cruise?

We are interested in a Hawaii cruise for April 2012... Do you have to do the whole trip or is it possible to do the trip from embark to all the stops of Hawaii and then stay off?

Example:

The itenerary is

Honolulu-Embark

Honolulu

Maui

Maui

Kailua Kona

Mount Kilauea

Hilo

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Vancouver

What I would like to do is to embark at Honolulu, stay for Maui, Kailua Kona, Mount Kilauea, and Hilo but then stay off the ship and stay in hawaii for a couple of days as a land vacation as opposed to going to Vancouver.

5 sea days doesnt sound exciting to me so Im hoping this would be poosible. I thought that I had seen something similar on another post but it was for Mexico. Any information would be helpful.

We are interested in a Hawaii cruise for April 2012... Do you have to do the whole trip or is it possible to do the trip from embark to all the stops of Hawaii and then stay off?

Example:

The itenerary is

Honolulu-Embark

Honolulu

Maui

Maui

Kailua Kona

Mount Kilauea

Hilo

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Vancouver

What I would like to do is to embark at Honolulu, stay for Maui, Kailua Kona, Mount Kilauea, and Hilo but then stay off the ship and stay in hawaii for a couple of days as a land vacation as opposed to going to Vancouver.

5 sea days doesnt sound exciting to me so Im hoping this would be poosible. I thought that I had seen something similar on another post but it was for Mexico. Any information would be helpful.

In this case, I don't think you can, due to Jones Act restrictions. This act prohibits the transport of persons between two US ports on non-US flagged vessels. Since you'd essentially be going from Honolulu to Hilo (both inside the US), the Jones act would apply. By going to Vancouver, however, you are now engaging in international transportation.

My question is why would you want to pay that much money for a whole cruise and not be on it for the whole time?:confused:

I'm thinking the same thing. If you just want to go to Hawaii why not just fly there and travel around the islands. I know people have missed the ship after a port and had to fly to where the ship is going to disembark. But they don't have their luggage. I don't know the rules on actually leaving with your luggage. You might want to call the cruise line

My question is why would you want to pay that much money for a whole cruise and not be on it for the whole time?:confused:

5 sea days and a stop in Vancouver arent appealing for me. I am also looking into a land vacation in Hawaii but figured this may be the cheapest way to see a couple of islands. Adding in extra hotel and airfare, maybe not. Thanks!

5 sea days and a stop in Vancouver arent appealing for me. I am also looking into a land vacation in Hawaii but figured this may be the cheapest way to see a couple of islands. Adding in extra hotel and airfare, maybe not. Thanks!

The Passenger Vessel Services Act will explain why you cannot do what you want to do.

You will have to sail with NCL instead of RCI as they are the only ones who offer a cruise that will meet your desires. Otherwise, what you are looking to do is prohibited and will subject you and the cruiseline to serious sanctions including a fine. We did a similar itinerary several years ago that began in Honolulu and ended in Vancouver and frankly we found the sea days and Vancouver to be among the highlights of our trip. Clearly this an itinerary that won't satisfy everyone, especially those who dislike sea days. Unfortunately you may find that what you want to do is not quite as cheap as you originally thought.

Not sure any cruiseline could keep someone on board if they did not want to stay.

After all if you are not back in time the ship will sail anyway.

Anyone can say oops we missed the ship!

We took the opposite itinerary on the Serenade of the Seas and end up in Honolulu. :) Stayed three days in Hawaii post- cruise.

Truthfully, I would have loved having those sea days at the end of the cruise instead of the beginning so that we could relax and recoup before finishing the trip. We were exhausted after staying in Honolulu.:eek: Of course, we loved any sea day. Pre-Hawaii, we relaxed, read, sunned, ate, and enjoyed the programs that the ship offered without having to work around a schedule.;)

Anyone saying "oops...missed the ship", may get charged. :rolleyes:

It would be hard to say you "missed the ship" unless you plan to leave your luggage behind! If what you really want is a trip around the islands, go with NCL. Years ago we did a week on the "Constitution" (unfortunately long gone) and it was a great way to see all the islands. You can then stay in Honolulu either before or after your flight or, if you'd prefer a different island, take an inter-island flight. Most islands have direct flights back to the states, so you wouldn't have to fly back to Honolulu to go home.

In any event I would love to see any company keep someone onboard against their wishes - would probably be illegal and a potential hostage situation.

The cruiseline would be fined if the OP did just up and leave before they hit the foreign port.

NCL is american flagged.

The cruiseline would be fined if the OP did just up and leave before they hit the foreign port.

NCL is american flagged.

Who is going to fine a cruiseline?

Are they really going to say 'Fred Smith was unhappy with the cruise and left, so please fine us!'

Or will they only be fined if a US citizen?

Who is going to fine a cruiseline?

Are they really going to say 'Fred Smith was unhappy with the cruise and left, so please fine us!'

Or will they only be fined if a US citizen?

The fining entity would be the Customs and Border Patrol Office of the Department of Homeland Security.

When the ship arrives at its final port, it has to provide a list of everyone that is disembarking there. If that list does not match the embarkation list, then that's how the "missing" passengers would be discovered.

Doesn't matter if they are US citizens or not.

Not sure any cruiseline could keep someone on board if they did not want to stay.

And your luggage and other possession's? What then?

Not fair to all your fellow passengers when it comes time for all to be back on board! Because the next port of call is 5 days away I doubt they wouldn't pull out on time and say "oh well. " :eek:

Do the NCL America with a pre or post stay to enjoy the islands.

As long as arrangements are made with the ship. A friend had to leave the ship in the Bahamas on a transatlantic cruise to return home early. The ship was advised and she got off with her luggage.

But that's different. Your friend had satisfied the requirement of not being transported from a US port to another US port.

As long as arrangements are made with the ship. A friend had to leave the ship in the Bahamas on a transatlantic cruise to return home early. The ship was advised and she got off with her luggage.

The situation was totally different and a transatlantic cruise doesn't fall within the restrictions of the Passenger Services Act. Your friend wasn't being transported from one US port to another.:)

Entirely different scenario that what the OP is wanting to do. You can not embark in one US Port and disembark in another US Port. A foreign port must be visited sometime during the cruise to be in compliance with the PSVA.

Don't you think they woukd notice you getting off with your luggage? The Bahamas are not a US port.

Again no cruiseline can keep a passenger hostage.

If someone suffers a bereavement are they seriously going to make them stay? They cannot exactly ask for a death certificate so it would have to be on trust.

or if the person was injured, again they would not make them stay onboard.

Again no cruiseline can keep a passenger hostage.

If someone suffers a bereavement are they seriously going to make them stay? They cannot exactly ask for a death certificate so it would have to be on trust.

or if the person was injured, again they would not make them stay onboard.

You are correct, and again, these are two completely different scenarios than what the OP wants to do.

Archived