Nuremburg to Regensburg canceled - missing much?

BillK400

Just got notified that our Embarkation for our 4/4/11 Gate1 / Luftner Danube cruise (Nuremburg to Budapest) has been changed from Nuremburg to Regensburg. We were to embark late afternoon in Nuremburg and cruise overnight to Regensburg the next morning, but due to locks being closed we will embark / start in Regensburg. It doesnt look like we will miss much as we were to cruise overnight from Nuremburg to Regensburg anyway, but just wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks!

We MUCH prefer Regensburg to Nuremberg. It is a lovely small city and a pleasure to visit. We have been twice to Nuremberg and do not care for it. The WWII history is interesting but otherwise it is not on our list of favorite places to visit.

I liked Nuremberg better than Regensburg, but obviously it's personal preference. I found the WWII sites pretty interesting, although obviously very sobering as well! We were rerouted on Viking and missed arriving into Nuremberg, but they put us up in a hotel in Nuremberg instead of bypassing the city completely. Our cruise was a little different, though, as the itinerary included a whole day in Nuremberg, not an evening cruise to Regensburg as yours does. I wouldn't think you'd miss much by starting from Regensburg.

In any case, lock closures aren't unusual in Europe, so you'll just need to accept the changes and not worry too much about them. I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and enjoy Regensburg!

Hi Bill...too bad you're missing Nuremburg but I'm going to agree with Caviargal...the cathedral and the museum were the most interesting parts of Nuremburg...I was most interested in the courtroom where the trials were held but since it's an active courtroom there is no public admission. The Hitler Rally grounds were interesting but only for their historic value, it's really just a huge athletic field. Regensburg on the other hand is a delightful place with great sights (nothing terribly historic) great food, great beer and great shopping! If I had to chose one over the other, I would definitely choose Regensburg.:D

Thanks for the feedback. We weren't going to have time to see Nuremberg anyway (transfer from Prague wasn't going to get to Nuremerg till afternoon and we were boarding at 4:00)...so we now have extra time to enjoy Regensberg.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Another change of an itinerary due to the annual lock closure on the Canal which is announced more than a year in advance (and it´s always in April):rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder when will river cruise companies ever learn about this??

steamboats

Regensburg is one of the oldest cities in Germany existing since 179 A.D. It has a beautiful old city and is called the most northern Italian city because with it`s tall towers it looks a lot like San Gimignano in Tuscany. It is also very walkable, everything is close together, there are lots of beergardens and outdoor cafes.

Nuremberg was completely destroyed during WW2 and what you see now has been reconstructed.

Regensburg is one of the oldest cities in Germany existing since 179 A.D. It has a beautiful old city and is called the most northern Italian city because with it`s tall towers it looks a lot like San Gimignano in Tuscany. It is also very walkable, everything is close together, there are lots of beergardens and outdoor cafes.

Nuremberg was completely destroyed during WW2 and what you see now has been reconstructed.

Both cities are interesting. Nurenberg is a larger city with the cathedral. Neither city tops the list for a must see in Germany.

We lived in Augsburg, Germany (50 miles west of Munich) for four years. If you want to see Germany, I recommend:

Munich, Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, Berlin, Rotenberg on the Tauber, Dinkelsbuel, Heidelberg, Bamberg, Dresden, Cologne, Rudesheim, the Mosel valley.

If the river cruise lines know a year in advance about the canal closings in April, why do they bother listing Nuremburg as the first port of call???

Thanks for all the information in this thread. From the pictures I have seen, Regensburg is more to my liking!!

I am sure we will have a great cruise!! These are countries we have not visited.

That´s what I don´t know!! There´s an announcement about one year ahead. O.k. that data is not fixed and the exact dates might shift a bit. But it´s always in April and they know in advance whether it´s an short (2 week) or a longer closure (3 to 4 weeks). It´s an annual maintenance thing.

Lüftner should know better!! Most cruise lines do avoid the Canal and stay on the Rhine river in April.

steamboats

Archived