Underwater camera

To all you fabulous cruise critic fans:

I'm looking to buy a really solid, dependable camera for

use while snorkeling while on my cruise this spring. I've seen

plenty of awesome pictures posted on this website from people

who enjoy one of these cameras. Any suggestions would be

greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

On my cruise last November I used a Kodak Playsport. It's a small camera, the size of a cell phone. It has 5 megapixels for photos and video in 1080p. Photos and video came out great. I was really impressed with the video that I took under water, came out chrystal clear. Suggest you take a look at it online as it has a lot more features.

I have the Olympus Stylus 790SW, which is no longer made. Olympus has a number of really good underwater cameras at a variety of prices. Here's a link on Amazon to a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Silver/dp/B0031RGEUY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1299434815&sr=8-10

They also make a float strap, which is very useful when snorkling. I've almost lost my camera several times when losing my grip on it, and this keeps it floating... just in case. http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-202204-STRAP-FLOAT-ORANGE/dp/B0014DURIW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1299434995&sr=8-15

Not sure what you are looking to spend, but I have a Canon D10 that I love. Slightly more pricy than some others, but worth the price IMHO. Takes great pictures underwater as well as video. It does not do full HD video, but I did not get it for the video aspect. The strap is nice in that you can attach it to any of the 4 corners and secure it to your wrist while snorkeling.

Here are two older reviews but the new replacement models follow similar family lines;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page17.asp

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Underwater-Camera-Shootout

To all you fabulous cruise critic fans:

I'm looking to buy a really solid, dependable camera for

use while snorkeling while on my cruise this spring. I've seen

plenty of awesome pictures posted on this website from people

who enjoy one of these cameras. Any suggestions would be

greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

If you are looking for a digital underwater camera that also takes movies, we have the Fijufilm WP50 (?) - it is wonderful - 10mp and takes great phtotos and movies. It is rather inexpensive. Kodak has a new 12MP underwater camera that comes out this month if you like Kodak. It is only $79 and works with regular batteries.

I bought a F/Film WP for out trip to the caribbean in Jan/Feb-- fantastic pictures.

It says its water resistant to 3meters but I used it when sea trekking at at depth of 25 feet ++ and it was brilliant.

Elaine DSCF3292.jpg.0f5c4fae85de612c1bdecca7a23bc43c.jpg

Another satisfied user of the Canon D10.

I bought this specifically for pics of snorkeling, as I have a better Canon for general photos.

When I return home in about two weeks I will put it up on ebay, as there seems to be a good market for used D10's.

I figure the net amount spent will be viewed as a rental fee, for which I got my money's worth.

Get ready to take lots of pics, as most fish move quickly, and the shutter lag of point and shoot cameras makes it a challenge to get them in the frame.

A few of my results can be seen here:

http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac225/jayarrG7/

One that takes the kinds of pics I've seen in these underwater reviews?

If not then how much for a good to pretty good one? I don't care what make.

I bought my Fuji for £55 admittedly that was a sale price.

I took my Sony TX5 to Hawaii (and under water) last fall...

small, *a lot of* very useful features that let you shoot useful photos while other can't, and 720p video that actually have auto focus and zoom...

super happy about it... ;)

65477_484497548672_721123672_5819037_3691990_n.jpg

156889_484497698672_721123672_5819043_34950_n.jpg

33641_452423668672_721123672_5309379_4195591_n.jpg

Archived