Help for a noob cruiser

Hi folks....

After several years of prodding, I have finally convinced my wife to go on a cruise and I figured, why not start with the best. I'm sure many will want to point me to a list of FAQ's or 'New to cruising' forums, and rest assured, I will go there shortly.

I've run into a snag already. I thought that the shows would be the first things I should book and I would fill in the blank areas later with specialty restaurants etc later. Well, I did and now find that the one restaurant I really wanted to visit is pretty much booked. Chop Grille either has very early sittings or very late sittings. With our sailing date of 1 May still (in my mind) a bit away, I thought I would have plenty of time to schedule things.....noob mistake. :eek:

What is the likelihood of more desirable spots for dining becoming available once on board ship?

What else am I missing or not considering?

Okay, I'm going to run off and read the other above mention posts for virgin cruisers but will check back shortly. :D

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.....Don

Congratulations on your upcoming first cruise! There is a good chance you will be hooked just like the rest of us;)

I woudl advise you go to immediately to Chops when you board the ship. They tend to hold back some reservations for passengers to book while onboard. If you go there right away, you will have a good shot at getting the time you want. I've never had any problem in doing this...

Hi Don... Welcome to the addiction!!! :p

My suggestion, since I'm sailing the week after you, is take the early seating, (or the late one) and work your entertainment & shows around the seating time. - If you have the earlier dinner, that could mean a lighter lunch or vise versa, a late dinner could mean a larger lunch.

As far as more desirable dining times once you get on board, not so sure about that... I mean I can see them holding a few open reservations and some last minute cancellations, but if you really want to go to Chops, or any specialty restaurant for that week you are on the Allure, I would suggest making your plan for the day around the dinner time you happen to get.

Good Luck and happy sailing!!!

Don, what time is early seating? You should be able to get close to the time you want and still get to the shows.

Don't miss shows;

AquaAria in Aqua Theater

Blue Planet

Chicago(if u like broadway)

**there are a lot more shows onboard; but these are the ones u definitely don't want to miss

Hey folks....

Thanks for the responses. About the only times left are 5:30, 9:00 and 9:30. I suppose these times could work to our advantage by either having a light lunch, as was suggested or a bit more substantial one to keep us going until a later dinner. Think I'll opt for the early one....

I'm thinking that this is going to get in my blood and we'll be doing a lot of it. My better half is already talking a Med cruise for our 25th anni in two years.

What excursions, if any, should we be looking for in St Thomas and St Maarten? I heard that Maho Beach is a must see and shopping in St T is a must as well. we had a bit of a nasty experience in St Lucia after being duped into a 'scenic stop' and being hounded by locals with beads and baubles and again in the Dominican with the market but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again for the responses. I hope to be able to return the favour some day.....Don

Hi folks....

After several years of prodding, I have finally convinced my wife to go on a cruise and I figured, why not start with the best. I'm sure many will want to point me to a list of FAQ's or 'New to cruising' forums, and rest assured, I will go there shortly.

I've run into a snag already. I thought that the shows would be the first things I should book and I would fill in the blank areas later with specialty restaurants etc later. Well, I did and now find that the one restaurant I really wanted to visit is pretty much booked. Chop Grille either has very early sittings or very late sittings. With our sailing date of 1 May still (in my mind) a bit away, I thought I would have plenty of time to schedule things.....noob mistake. :eek:

What is the likelihood of more desirable spots for dining becoming available once on board ship?

What else am I missing or not considering?

Okay, I'm going to run off and read the other above mention posts for virgin cruisers but will check back shortly. :D

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.....Don

First, please join us in our roll call group, there are a bunch of us sailing with you that day and I guess we have grabbed up all the prime restaurant spots! My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in Chops on May 2nd while we are leaving Nassau. Chops is worth an early or late dinner so go ahead and grab a spot there will be plenty to do the ship after dinner.

Our roll call group - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124097

What excursions, if any, should we be looking for in St Thomas and St Maarten? I heard that Maho Beach is a must see and shopping in St T is a must as well.

I was thinking about going to Maho beach and just spending the day there and I would have loved it, but I thought maybe my wife would get bored so I went with Bernard's tour there, I booked directly with them. It has a sight seeing tour, a couple hours at Orient beach, a stop for an hour or so at Maho beach. Supposedly they know the times when the big planes land and have you there and then some shopping before getting back on the ship. I've read lots of good things about his tours.

We will be on the May 1st sailing as well, because of your post I signed into RCL and am now bummed because there are no seatings for Chops left at all for May 7th our 25th anniversary. :( We were told that the concierge can get us into shows and specialty restaurants still, I hope that is true.

Hey folks....

What excursions, if any, should we be looking for in St Thomas and St Maarten? I heard that Maho Beach is a must see and shopping in St T is a must as well.

Thanks again for the responses. I hope to be able to return the favour some day.....Don

I will give another vote for Maho Beach. There is nothing like seeing airplanes zooming right over your head!

Hey folks....

Thanks for the responses. About the only times left are 5:30, 9:00 and 9:30. I suppose these times could work to our advantage by either having a light lunch, as was suggested or a bit more substantial one to keep us going until a later dinner. Think I'll opt for the early one....

I'm thinking that this is going to get in my blood and we'll be doing a lot of it. My better half is already talking a Med cruise for our 25th anni in two years.

What excursions, if any, should we be looking for in St Thomas and St Maarten? I heard that Maho Beach is a must see and shopping in St T is a must as well. we had a bit of a nasty experience in St Lucia after being duped into a 'scenic stop' and being hounded by locals with beads and baubles and again in the Dominican with the market but I am open to suggestions.

Don, first, if you and DW are like us, you age going to get hoooooooked!! For St Maarten we rented a dune buggy and drove by ourselves around the island...we made many stops along the way to take pics and goof around...it was a blast!!!!

Archived