Back From Tahitian Princess

10X

We ended our Tahitian Princess cruise on 2-21-05, but went to Hawaii after that for our son's wedding, so I'm a little late in posting any information. Until I can get a review written, I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.

Denny

We're going on the Tahitian Princess on June 3rd, in celebration of a BIG birthday for me. We've been to the Caribbean several times, but never the South Pacific. How does it compare? Also, how was the ship? We've never been on one this small. I get seasick, but Bonine seemes to work very well for me. How was the staff and crew? We're in Category AB, mini-suite w/balcony. Also, I've heard that International at LAX can be a nightmare. How was your experience? Did you book the air through Princess? Did you fly Air Tahiti Nui? How was it? One last question... I see that our first two days are in Papeete. Does the ship actually leave the port and return the next day? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joyce

The small ship is every bit as nice as the big ship, except on a smaller scale. The buffet isn't as big, there are only two shops, only one dining room, but alternative dining is available. They did the steakhouse for 3 days, followed by Italian for 3 day, then back to the steakhouse. There aren't any lines, anywhere, except the occasional elevator at busy times. You can get to anywhere on the ship with only a five minute walk - maximum.

The staff was as nice as any I've met on our other Princess cruises. However, I didn't think the food was quite up to Princess normal standards. But I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so perhaps others thought it was great. I wasn't the only one to mention the food though.

I did not get seasick, or feel remotely close to being so on this ship, in spite of having some big roller type waves for a couple of days. There were 18 people in our group and no one got seasick.

We were in BB cabin 7062, w/balcony. It was nice but we missed the refrigerator as on other Princess ships.

We did our own air from Michigan to LA, where we spent the night. The next afternoon we departed on the Princess Air Tahiti Nui flight for Papeete. ATN was much better than any flight I've had on an American airline. I was able to watch 4 entire movies on the trip to Tahiti. The food was more than tolerable and each passenger was given a small packet that contained headphones, ear plugs, a sleep mask to cover your eyes, and a small wet-nap type of hand towel, but larger.

The ship does not leave Papeete, but remains berthed at the pier overnight.

We enjoyed Tahiti, but think Hawaii is better. Tahiti is very hot and very humid, where Hawaii is relatively free of the humidity. We were thankful for having overcast skies most of the time or we would have fried. We left Tahiti an almost midnight the day our cruise ended. My wife gave me two pills she needed to take before going to sleep on the flight home. It was so hot and humid that late at night, that the pills dissolved in my pocket from the sweat that was pouring out of me. My shirt was soaked.

As far as LAX goes, it was just another airport. I didn't find it to be anymore of a hassle than anywhere else. In fact, they try to keep things running smoothly. We flew to Hawaii after our cruise, but had to do so from LAX because of the limited flights from Tahiti. When we arrived at the airport the security line was backing up. American Airlines diverted us to a bus and transported us to the International terminal, where security was standing idle. We went through security quickly and were bussed to our terminal from there. From the time we arrived at the airport until we were at our gate was about 30 minutes total. We had allowed 2 hours.

Coming back to the U.S. from Tahiti was also hassle free. We quickly cleared customs/immigration without hardly slowing down.

Just a F.Y.I. - Tahiti is hot and humid THIS time of year - their summer being our winter. May, June and July is just perfect there. Check out Weather.com for their averages.

Looking forward to your review .... :D

Yep, Feb. is the "wet" season in Tahiti, so it's much more humid. We were there in May, and for Colorado dwellers (where there is no humidity to be found) we didn't have a problem with the humidity.

Also, I agree with Denny, the flight on ATN was one of the most pleasant I've been on anywhere. I would fly with them again in a heartbeat! We felt like we had arrived in Tahiti from the moment we set foot on the plane. :)

So, no refrigerators? I thought I had read in the brochure that the balcony cabins had refrigerators. Hmmm. We are in a BB as well. What were the other amenities like in the cabin? Hair Dryer? Do they provide any lotions, shower gel, or shampoo? Robes? If it's already there, then I don't have to pack it!

How long were you in Hawaii, and where? We are going on the 5/3 Hawaii to Tahiti intinerary. So if you have advice on Hawaii, or any "must see" places, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks! Looking forward to your review!

Christine

Guest caribcruzin

Hi Denny and Paula....

We couldn't remember when you were coming back. Glad you are home!!!!!!!!!!

Let's get together soon.....We want to see you and your pictures!

Nautical,

Only the mini-suites and suites have refrigerators on the TP.

jody

PS I was on the same sailing with Denny and I did get seasick (for the first time in my life). I thought quite a few people on the ship were sick that first night and many people sported patches and seabands after that. The TP has a side to side motion that got to me for some reason (versus the front to back rocking).

Christine,

The cabin amenities do include stuff like a hair dryer, shampoo, etc. You can have robes if you ask for them.

This was our third time in Hawaii; 2002 a 10 day cruise; 2004 two weeks on land, 1 week Oahu and 1 week Maui; this time was 8 days on Maui. Let me know where your going and what your interests are and I'll try to give you some pointers. shoot3gun@yahoo.com

Judy,

I'll give you a call, but let me process some photos first, otherwise I won't have anything to show you.

Jody,

Sorry to hear you got seasick. It must have been short lived, because you looked well whenever I saw you. I enjoyed the time we spent with our Cruise Critic friends. I'll eventually post the pictures of the group at Marc's picnic when I get them processed.

Denny

We returned from the Tahitian Princess on March 4. Hopefully, our review will be ready in another week or so. My DH took 2,000 pictures, so it's a lot to pick from. :rolleyes:

We had a mini-suite # 8021. It did have a refrigerator and robes were provided without asking. Just in case you don't know this; before you cruise, send a FAX to Princess Customer Assistance at 661-284-4745 and request an egg crate mattress cover for your bed. Without it, the beds are like boards.

One other thing, be sure to pre-book your excursions online if you know what you want to do. Most of the "better" ones were sold out beforehand. My absolute favorite was the Helmet Safari on Bora Bora. Fantastic! :D My husband dives; but I barely swim, mostly dog paddle. For this one, you don't even have to be able to swim at all. This is a great way to see everything underwater. It is not scarey at all. My friend is claustrophobic, and she had no problem whatsoever. She loved it. Take several disposable underwater cameras because you'll need them.

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind, I have a few more questions... I keep hearing about Mark and Stephane for excursions. Do you know anything about them. I hate to pay Princess' overpriced shore excursions, but I'm a little gun-shy. We tried to book a tour in Jamaica (not via the cruise line) and when we got to Ocho Rios, our tour guide was not there. We eventually got refunded, and wound up grabbing one of the locals (who hang around the pier). While he gave us a great tour, it was still unnerving to be left out in the cold. How can I depend on these local guides to actually show up? Also, what would you say is mix of ages on this cruise? We're in our mid-forties and would prefer to keep company with a younger crowd than an older one. No offense intended, but we just have more in common with people in their 30's than people of the "silver set".

We haven't cruised in 3 years. Back then, Princess allowed you to bring your own liquor on board. I understand you can't do that anymore. Since Customs will go through our luggage, I don't suppose we can "sneak" anything on board with us. Also, how was the entertainment on board? Are there any smaller lounges that you would suggest for a pre-dinner cocktail?

Thanks again for your advice.

Wait a minute!!! I am only 42 and already a member of the silver set! (thanks, dad!).

We are going to Tahiti in April, 06. We will take 1-2 bottles of booze with us in our carry-on for use on the ship. Hopefully this works for the International inspections in LA. The only time we have ever had a problem was with a bottle that was already opened.

In the Caribbean, we did the same and no problem at all.

1. Only need a passport.

2. Didn't seem to check for liquor but we always pour it into a plastic soda bottle before hand then have no problem.

3. Ship is well maintained.

4. We enjoyed the cruise(wife and I) but not one of our most memorable.

5. Beaches for swimming or wading not so great- not at all like the pics in travel books. uch broken coral and stones and depth is shallow quite a way out. We tried over 6 beaches so think we know.

6. Everyone raved about the snorkling and that Snuba dive with the large glass hood and air hose

7. It was rough a few days but we never get sick. Some folks did. Ship does not seem to have any stablizers- suprizing for a 1999 ship.

8. Moreau and Bora Bora pretiest island- Tahiti was also pretty good. Others just flat atols with little population and not much going for them

8. Polensian people nicest we have met in the world.

9. Cost of everything, off the ship, outrageous- incl the black pearls. Don't know how the regullar folks can afford to live there.

10.Princess entertainment fair to very good. Ships dancer's wre the best and the local entertainment they brought on board. Comedy Majacian Ok, British comic a waste, Male singer pretty good the second time. Cruise Director mediocre- not open to suggestions. Pool lounges most uncomfortable of any on 13 cruises. Pool was nice. Food was decent. Never had a line for anything- seemed uncrowded everywhere and ship was full.

11. Now we saw French Polensia so wouldn't go again.

12 Air Tahiti Nui best airline we have ever been on- Americian First Class pales in comparison to Business or Economy on Air Tahiti- get with it AA!

Any question ask!

Who was your cruise director? We had Frank Castiglione, and he was fantastic.

As to the beaches, you are correct; the Caribbean beaches are much prettier. However, French Polynesia is not known for its beaches. It is known primarily for its crystal clear aqua water and all of the abundant marine life that can be seen there.

Frank Castiilione was our Cruise Director so guess different stokes for different folks. On our cruise he wasn't very noticable. Just introduced the main shows and made some announcements during the day. I spoke to him about trying to have some music from 5:30 to 7:30 when it was totally dead and he said he didn't have enough muisc folks to do that- but he did have 4 groups (piano player, ship band, 4 person combo and Carib steel drum guy) so go figure.

Guess we were mis-lead by Tahiti tourisim brochures about the beaches. I also wouldn't agree the waters were all that blue and clear- at least not on the atohols we went to. Caribbean is so much better.

But we still liked the cruise. Our balcony cabin was super and ship was clean and personnel were pretty decent!

But wouldn't you agree there wasn't a lot of activities during days at sea or in evening and that the Main Showtime acts except for the dancers and local talent weren't at same standard as other ships- Galaxy, Millenium, all Carnival, Norway, etc.

But then again eveyone has a different reaction to the same things and we respect that.

Archived