Back From Tahitian Princess

10X

Sara,

I'm not actually going until March of 2006. It will take me that long to pay it off as we got a mini suite. I hope you post a review with pictures. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I was also glad to see a local on this website. I do think the weather has been fantastic just too bad I have to work all day. We really need the rain though.

It was nice talking with you:) and Thanks for responding back to me.

Lori

Hi Lori, ....

...I must have read your post wrong, ..I'll be sure to post for you, ...send some great pics, ...again we'll be going at the beginning of the rainy season and their summer, ..but I'm sure I'll get a few good pics to share. I would love the rain too, ..would save me from having to water the dang lawn and flower beds ..ugh!
Do you have any kids? Anyways, ..Nice chattin'

Sara

Thank you Carol and Mike for such a great review. We are doing the Cook Island itinerary on May 14th and I loved reading your commentary and seeing your pictures, even with the different ports It must have taken a lot of time to put your website together, but we really appreciated your efforts!!!!

I am referencing your website on our roll call thread.

One question - was there anything you failed to pack that you wish you had? Any other "hindsight is 20-20" comments?

Thanks again,
Gina

Biensur,

I'm the A-type person who packs everything anyone could ever imagine needing, much to my husband's regret. So, no, I didn't need something that I didn't bring. Well, except for a zillion more underwater cameras to use on the Aqua Safari helment excursion. One is not enough.

The only absolute, don't dare forget things that I can think of are: a big brimmed straw hat, one that is kinda open weave to let the air circulate; 45 suntan lotion (see review); a couple of bottles of insect repellent (two sm. better than one big); Benadryl Gel (extra strength itch relief); an old fashioned hand fan (the kind used in rural churches in the movies); at least two pairs of water shoes (so one can be drying out); big Ziploc baggies.

I got a mesh back pack that I enjoyed using. I wanted something light weight that I could stuff all my things in, and it was perfect.

It is interesting in all the reviews of just the beaches of Tahiti or SP..or even caribbean..noone ever seems to mention the culture or the people..it always seems to be about how sandy a beach is or how much free ice cream they can get on board.

I love the SP not only for the water but for the culture and people as well. It is a much different experience than you will find in Caribbean or even Hawaii...whether in the Cooks, Tahiti, Fiji, Marquesas,etc...very rich history..and the people are gracious..not begging you around every corner(something turning me off to going to the carribean!) and I also don't want to dock at a place where 5 other cruise ships may be docked..not my idea of paradise!

No..you won't have stretches of white sandy beaches EVERYWHERE in the SP..when we went to the Cooks..the island of Rarotonga had so-so beaches..but when we went to the island of Aitutaki for a few days..we went on a day snorkle/island lunch stop where my husband and I were able to walk out for 1/2 mile keep deep in water to our own private 'sand bar" and sit and relax out in the middle of this atoll..all white sand and water around us and the rest of small group of 6 folks were on the atoll where we had a bbq enjoying the sun there..

I know some want white sugary sands between their toes at every beach stop..and that is fine..but also look at the bigger picture of why you visit certain destinations...

• 11 months later...
[quote name='maygoddess']It is interesting in all the reviews of just the beaches of Tahiti or SP..or even caribbean..noone ever seems to mention the culture or the people..it always seems to be about how sandy a beach is or how much free ice cream they can get on board.

I love the SP not only for the water but for the culture and people as well. It is a much different experience than you will find in Caribbean or even Hawaii...whether in the Cooks, Tahiti, Fiji, Marquesas,etc...very rich history..and the people are gracious..not begging you around every corner(something turning me off to going to the carribean!) and I also don't want to dock at a place where 5 other cruise ships may be docked..not my idea of paradise!

No..you won't have stretches of white sandy beaches EVERYWHERE in the SP..when we went to the Cooks..the island of Rarotonga had so-so beaches..but when we went to the island of Aitutaki for a few days..we went on a day snorkle/island lunch stop where my husband and I were able to walk out for 1/2 mile keep deep in water to our own private 'sand bar" and sit and relax out in the middle of this atoll..all white sand and water around us and the rest of small group of 6 folks were on the atoll where we had a bbq enjoying the sun there..

I know some want white sugary sands between their toes at every beach stop..and that is fine..but also look at the bigger picture of why you visit certain destinations...[/QUOTE]

Check my original posting- I did point out that the people are the nicest anywhere we have been and that except for the disappointing 6 beaches we went to everything else was great and we reccomend this cruise.

I must say that carol and her husband have posted one of the best, most complete reviews I have seen on these boards. I love the pictures integrated into the story so you can just see what is happening as it is described. I also really enjoyed the links to the other reviews especially the New Zealand cruise. Thanks so much. You gave me a bunch of ideas for our next trip.

We are on the TP on July 12 for a 12 day Tahiti to Hawaii cruise. We have sailed the PG in Tahiti twice before. The only part of the week we felt was not great was the flight back. At least this time, we will be flying home from Hawaii which we do frequently and is more bearable than the overnight flight on AN.

Archived