Back From Tahitian Princess

10X

As you said, different strokes for different folks. :D And yes, since I live in southern Florida, of course I like the Caribbean beaches.

As for Frank, I think that he has a perfect "announcer's" voice; and he was very energetic. He mingled with the crowd before the shows, and I conversed with him several times. As for being seen, he was on television every morning, and he hosted several of the games on board. I saw him around the ship and on shore, and he always spoke. In the elevator, on the second day, he asked how I was enjoying my vacation so far; and did I need anything. Most of the time the staff speak and are friendly, but that's it. In 11 cruises, with the exception of Clo on Royal Caribbean, I have rarely seen another cruise director except at showtime.

Also, I think that we must have been on different routes. We did the Marquesas, not the Cook Islands. Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva are very mountainous. Very few people, yes, but that's why we go!

Thanks again, folks, for the info. Hmmm, makes me wonder, tho'. We LOVE the Caribbean; I can't imagine that Tahiti wouldn't be AT LEAST as gorgeous. We love to beach and snorkle, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to do, but I'm a little concerned over the lack of enthusiasm for the beaches. Isn't that why we're going? Anyway, can anyone tell me about the tours NOT arranged by Princess? I keep hearing the names Marc and Stephane. Also, how many ports do we have tender in? With such a small ship, the tenders must be not much more than little skiffs. But I'm also thinking that, with such a small amount of people, and with such long port stops, I will assume that getting a tender wasn't such a big wait. No stablizers? That can't be. Are you sure? This used to be a Renaissance ship and I've always heard they were top drawer. Glad to hear such nice things about Air Tahiti Nui. DH hates to fly, so the more comfortable, the better. Thanks again for the info.

Joyce

Hi

I 'll throw in my thoughts.

I love French Polynesia. We were 1st their in 2001 and 2003 and going again March 10 2006. I love the people, hate their prices, except at the market places, the best snorkeling by far. The beaches are great. Clean and topless in lots of places. Wear water shoes and watch out for sea urchins.

Marcs picnic tour was fantastic, sunset sail in Bora Bora was good. Did not do Stephans tour as we went with Bruno, we hear good things about Stephan. We bought our liquor through Princess gift shop before we arrived. Its legal and not very expensive. We did get some local brew and brought it aboard easily.

I guess different strokes for different folks. Like the Caribean also but get tired of the beggers. There are never beggars in FP :p

Hope this helps.

Patty

Patty, you just brought up a good point that really surprised me when I was there. I was shocked and pleased to find out that the vendors don't start high and let you "bargain them down". I also loved the fact that we were never harassed by sellers like you are in the Caribbean.

Don't worry about the beaches. I think that we are giving the impression that the beaches are bad. They are not, and some of them are quite nice. Just don't expect fine grained white sand. Look at it this way. The snorkling will be some of the best marine life you've seen because there is so much coral. Since there is so much coral, you will find coral beaches. It's as simple as that. You'll love it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the beaches. While they are not miles of sugary white sand, you can find enjoyable enough stretches to visit (especially if you do some research beforehand). That said, we spent 11 days on a land vacation in FP, and we were blown away by the water. We didn't miss the beach once, we were too busy snorkeling, kayaking, and enjoying other water excursions. The water was incredible!! We had one murky day from a storm, but the majority of the trip the water was amazing. I will never forget the blues in the water. One day we went on a deep sea fishing trip, as we went through the passes and out into the deep waters I was shocked at how far down we could see. Just amazing. Don't worry, I don't think you'll be disappointed! :D

Medfield98 - I'm quite surprised with your Tahiti beach experiences. I spent 6 months sailing through French Polynesia a few years back and found nothing but postcard beaches and water (with perhaps a few exceptions). As nice as any I've seen traveling the world. We love Barbados (been there five times the past six years), but we would never go there just for the beaches. The Carribean is very nice and we spent a lot more time there due to proximity, but I can't wait for our 2006 Tahitian Princess cruise to re-experience the South Seas.

BOY oh BOY....I was thinking about booking the Tahitan Princess for next Feb but all the negative posting on this thread has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I have never cruised and always wanted to go to Tahiti. I can only get Feb 2006 off of work. Would I have a bad time on this ship? Is it going to rain all the time? Is there no sun? Is the motion of the ship that bad? Are there really no beaches? Please help me decide?!? I have never posted before but am an avid reader.

Joyce,

You can find Marc at http://www.huahinenatique.com. Stephan you have to book on the dock (although if you speak French you can call his cell (689) 74-11-43. Neither demand a deposit, pay at the dock.

I believe there are only 2 tenders. You tender at every port except Tahiti and Raitea.

Princess Cruise Answer Book states that if you are celebrating you are allowed to bring wine and champange. I also bring DH's tanqueray that he cannot get on the ship in an unbreakable plastic flask. I carry it in my carryon and am prepared to drink it if security demands, so far even post 9/11 they have not. I have also bought liquor on shore and brought it back w/ me. If you don't make a big deal out of it, the ship screeners just let you go through and don't "confiscate" it to return it to you on the last night.

JNB

Medfield98 - About Tahiti waters not being clear - amazingly blue/green as usual...please remember there were two fairly large cyclones nearby that impacted the area as well as little sun,a lot of rain runoff and a large wave surge during that period. Those conditions most definitely impacted the water look. Same thing happens from time to time in Hawaii. We agree - the water was not as beautiful as on previous trip - however absent the bad February '05 weather there can be absolutely no comparison to "any" caribbean waters - not even close. JMO - SeaFish

10X - Hi Denny Glad you guys had a great time post cruise. Can't wait to see your FP dive photos - you just got'a have some great stuff. After the cruise we got some ok underwater shark shots while snorkeling but - nothing like what you could capture with that neat camera outfit. Nice meeting you & enjoyed our time together. Take care - Sandy & Fred

We had Frank as a CD and although he seemed nice enough, we didn't overly care for him. He always talked in a schmoozy voice and he was a used car salesman doing a commercial. It became a little annoying after a while. I'm sure he would be great if he would just try to talk normally.

I personally think the Tahitian waters were much more beautiful and clear than anywhere in the Caribbean. The different shades of blue and acqua were amazing and you could see the coral and fish quite easily as we motored around on shore excursion boats. The snorkeling was so much better in Tahiti than anywhere I've been in the Caribbean, in my humble opinion.

We took our first cruise in January, 1997. I can't tell you how educational and informative this site (CC) was, even though it was a lot easier to navigate back then. Since then, I've always checked into the CC board whenever we've gotten ready to cruise again. This will be our first time in FP, and I must thank you all for the info - especially about the beach shoes. Are those the same kind we had in Dunn's River Falls - those ugly, form-fitting rubbery shoes? Will have to pick some up.

As for the snorkelling, thanks for the info on Marc. I will check out his site. As for the booze, let me get this straight. I can buy liquor from Princess's shop on board and they'll let me keep it (rather than holding it until the end of the cruise.) I can also buy liquor on land and, without making a big deal about it, bring it back onto the ship.

A couple more quick questions... Since I am such a bargain shopper, I wanted to know what you think. We booked the Tahitian Princess just last week (we usually book a year ahead of time, but couldn't this time.) We leave June 3rd (I hear that is a VERY good time of year to go. Less humid.) We booked an A/B mini-suite. With air from L.A., it's coming in at $5495, port, taxes, etc., included. Do you think was a good price? (This is for both of us.)

What, if any, shore excursions would you recommend? Are the tables for 6 round or rectangle? Is the TP's kitchen as good as the Sea or Crown Princesses? When we fly in from L.A., how soon can we board the ship? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. We've Caribbean veterans, but have no idea what we're doing in the South Seas. THANKS!!!

Joyce

Is your air through Princess? If so, you will probably come in on a Tahiti Nui flight. On our Marquesas route, we spent the first day in port in Papeete, and didn't sail until 4:00 A.M. One of the couples we met didn't get in until 10:30 P.M. on the first night of the cruise! In essence, they missed the first day of their cruise. They had booked through Princess, but had not checked their flight tickets when they first received them. By the time they checked what flight they were on, it was too late to change.

I'm not saying not to use Princess. I'm just saying that if you do, check your arrival time as soon as you get your tickets. Better yet, go a day early so you'll be nice and rested before you cruise.

Ryanic,
We've been to Tahiti 3 times, all in August. We feel it is the perfect time to go to Tahiti. I don't know if we were just lucky, the weather was perfect 82-87, very little rain, if any and very little humidity. Blue skies and the most beautiful blue lagoons. When we go back, it will be August again!

Joyce,

Patty is right, they have packages of gin and tonic and vodka and tonic and the bottle and the mixer will be there for you at a reasonable price considering the hassle of bringing it. The only problem is Princess has limited choices (i.e no Tanqueray). They also have wine, but again the choices are extremely limited. Just check it out, maybe you will find something you like.

JNB

As I reported earlier we tried 6 different beaches. Had researched with the ship personnel and Tourist offices as to whilch ones to go to. The only decent one was in Moreau at the Beachcomer Hotel but even the sand part in the water there wasn't that great and no waves. At least the dry edge part was nice and sandy but looked like the hotel brought that in. And yes there had been a Cyclone some 500 miles away and maybe that made the water murcky for our trip. But this is when we were there so our impression is what it is.

Other than the broken coral and stones and shallow water at the beaches where we went the scenery around them was very picturesque so maybe that is why some say the beaches are nice and I agree with that aspect. But when you must wear water shoes and there is broken coral and stones and rocks in the water I don't call that nice.

Many others we spoke to on the cruise also agreed the beaches were not as nice as expected. But as I said earlier the snorkling seemed to be grat but we didn't do that.

So maybe we missed the better beaches (for waddng and swimming and waves) but having tried 6 beaches seems we should have found one great one among the bunch.

We still had a great time on our cruise and did enjoy French Poly. overall.

[quote name='ryanic']What about August? is that an okay time to go to Tahiti?[/QUOTE]
We went in August 11 -Sept 1 2003 and after 100 degree+ weather here in Grand Junction for over 30 consecutive days. We actually thought 80 degree+ weather was a little chilly. But we had great weather and not too much humidity at that time.

[quote name='dansgirlie']Kissara22 where in Southern Oregon are you? I also live in Southern Oregon. Medford to be exact. My DH and I are going on this cruise in April 06.[/QUOTE]

Hiya Dansgirlie,

I live in Phoenix now, ..we just moved across the valley from N. Medford. Wow, ..pretty cool that at least 2 couples are heading to Tahiti from the same area in our part of the world, ..We're not going until November though so you must share your pictures and reviews with me :) Wonderful weather we've been having isn't it?!!

Sara:D

Archived