Will Carnival ever go back?

Yes We Can

One of the worst ports in the carib.

It was one of my favorites, but then I am about seeing real places, not manufactured, over-built islands that are covered with nothing but tourists, resorts, and hard-rock cafe type places. It would be nice if Dominica had a nice beach. Unfortunately I have not discovered one yet, but it is the most natural island that I have ever visited via cruise ship. Fantastic hiking. A boiling lake, sulfer springs, waterfalls, rain forests, the Champagne Reef complete with seahorses, friendly people. Great, great place.

I'll take the Dominicas out there, you can have the generic islands with Jimmy Buffets, Hard Rocks, Senor Frogs, etc.

I nearly drowned on an RCI river tubing excursion here. The safety level was appalling. The river was flooded, and basically, should not have gone ahead. I am a strong swimmer, and there was NOTHING even an olympic swimmer could have done. I was thrown off a tube by the raging current, and bounced from rock to rock. Two local boys saved me. I could not fight the current filling my lungs, and came within seconds of drowning. I often check this excursion, and warn people. There was just NO safety back up, and the greed for money went before safety. After I was saved, I had to get back on the tube and complete it, my daughter came off minutes after me :(

I know islands such as Dominica do need tourism etc, but please, if you go here, beware of this excursion. There was no way out, no access to the banking, and no emergency procedure in place.

P&O and Princess, use the same river but in lower land, it doesnt run as fast. This particular one was run by RCI.

I was never so glad to be back on a cruise ship, and Dominica for us, never again.

Sorry, not ranting here about Dominica, just never forgot my moment of "near death".. and will go on and warn others for ever more to be careful of this excursion.

I have been on many river tubing experiences.. but Dominica clearly doesnt have the same safety policies as many do. One could never have guessed from the top of the river, what awaited us below. But apparently high rains flooded the river... I still to this day have nightmares about it. I work at sea often, am well used to 25ft high tides, currents, and saftey at sea... what should have been a fun day, nearly resulted in my fatality!

Commercial islands may not hold the same "quaintness" of more impoverished islands, but never forget, that safety for you and your loved ones, comes first.

IF anyone reading this, is thinking of Dominica at any point, and taking the river tube excursion..beware..there are two on the same river. P&O/Princess, use the safer one, it is on the same river, but on a slower flow. I would think Carnival possible being the parent company, would use this one.. anyway, the safe one, they give you paddles...(only way I can differentiate), the one I nearly drowned in, you travel further up the mountain, and no paddles are given.

I am a strong, healthy, and active lady, I could do NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to fight this. My life was flashing in front of me, and the water filling me up.. I will never forget that arm grabbing me under the water...

DOMINICA - TUBING - BEWARE!!!

It was one of my favorites, but then I am about seeing real places, not manufactured, over-built islands that are covered with nothing but tourists, resorts, and hard-rock cafe type places. It would be nice if Dominica had a nice beach. Unfortunately I have not discovered one yet, but it is the most natural island that I have ever visited via cruise ship. Fantastic hiking. A boiling lake, sulfer springs, waterfalls, rain forests, the Champagne Reef complete with seahorses, friendly people. Great, great place.

I'll take the Dominicas out there, you can have the generic islands with Jimmy Buffets, Hard Rocks, Senor Frogs, etc.

I really wish we had a like button :)

Your post is spot on, Dominica was one of our favourite stops for all the same reasons.

I really wish we had a like button :)

Your post is spot on, Dominica was one of our favourite stops for all the same reasons.

We just booked a Princess itinerary so we could get to Dominica, so this is very reassuring :) I hate the ports that are for shopping... bleck!

We just booked a Princess itinerary so we could get to Dominica, so this is very reassuring :) I hate the ports that are for shopping... bleck!

We did the Green Beauty Tour with Reyno, had an excellent day. There was another couple booked that were apparently too hungover to go so it ended up being a private excursion for the cost of a group tour.

Wish I could remember the name of our guide at the falls, he was excellent, knew tons about the flora and fauna and pointed out things that we would have missed otherwise. Taught us which plants were used for medicine by the native peoples and so forth.

There is minimal shopping other than right at the port, and even that is just a straw market where they are very friendly and not pushy at all :)

We did the Green Beauty Tour with Reyno, had an excellent day. There was another couple booked that were apparently too hungover to go so it ended up being a private excursion for the cost of a group tour.

Wish I could remember the name of our guide at the falls, he was excellent, knew tons about the flora and fauna and pointed out things that we would have missed otherwise. Taught us which plants were used for medicine by the native peoples and so forth.

There is minimal shopping other than right at the port, and even that is just a straw market where they are very friendly and not pushy at all :)

Thanks for this! We booked an off the beaten path type tour with a guy named Woody... he gets great reviews... and we would really rather see the natural beauty of the island than anything else... really looking forward to it.

I am not the nature type, I don't like tubing or hiking or things of that nature, but I know that there are many on here that do, I did the Southern itinerary last year on The Victory and am doing it again this year, but now it has a sea day, even though I did not book an excursion for Dominica last time, it was nice to just get off the ship and walk around the port area and do some shopping.

I have read on here that the word was they removed Dominica because of fuel cost wich makes no sense because Barbados is farther than Dominica and would use more fuel, does anyone know the real reason? They should have replaced it with another port.

I absolutely loved Dominica! Beautiful island! Very different but beautiful! I think a lot of people miss it because they don't venture off the ship. My least favorite was between Jamaica and Belize.

I just did that Caribbean Princess Itinerary in December. Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, and St. Thomas (in that order, yours is probably the opposite direction). Great, great trip!!! I actually lost a couple pounds on that cruise because of all of the snorkeling, swimming, hiking, and walking I did. By the time we got to St. Thomas I was wiped out so I just took the ferry to St. John and drank painkillers in Cruz Bay.

It would be great if you did a comparison between your Caribbean Princess trip and your Carnival cruises. While both fun, I think the difference in style is pretty significant.

Reyno Tours on Dominica was great - we arranged a tour that was a mix of mountains and ocean.

If you look at next years schedule, they will start going back to Dominica.

It looks like every 2 weeks.

So who will be getting that other Tues? Antigua? -if they can behave themselves?

Or will alternating Tuesdays be... DOM one week

- and a "Fun Sea Day" the next week?

Archived