Where do ya'll get your cruise insurance?

chadsjewel

I just booked our 4th cruise(YAY!) after disembarking from our 2nd last week. This one is like 17 months off, so I feel I should get some insurance. I have never purchased it before and didn't want to do it through my TA (For an FYI, her price was $79 pp).

So, where do yall get yours?

What do I need to purchase? (We are not flying in)

What is a fair price for what I need?

TIA, you guys are always helpful =)

I usually get mine from squaremouth.com. I like the way you can compare policies & coverage, cost etc side by side in the columns.

I did buy from insuremytrip.com once too. I get pre-existing condition coverage, DS and I both have asthma so it wouldn't make sense to get coverage & then have the thing most likely to give us trouble be exempt.

It's individual how much coverage you need, but on a cruise that is going to be out at sea for any distance, I would want a generous amount covering medical evacuation. Nothing less than 100,000 imho, 500,000 at least for medical coverage.

I worry less about losing the cost of the vacation, it's the financial ruin that could happen if you or someone in your family became seriously ill at sea that is my main concern.

Whatever you buy, t's a good idea to purchase a policy offering "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions", w/in 14-21 days of your cruise. Policies offered by CSA, TravelEx,TravelGuard and TravelInsured are all good and can be purchased direct from the Companies or via brokers such as Insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. If you're a member of USAA, youcan purchase TravelInsured there. ken

I used tripinsurancestore.com this past cruise and they were fantastic! I had a couple of questions and decisions to make about what kind of policy I should get and they were soooo helpful. I compared the price I was quoted on other websites and it was the same......so I got it for the same price but with lots of service including follow up emails and tips on saving money in ports.

Does or has anyone ever purchased Carnivals Insurance Coverage-The Gold plan? If so, does it cover flight cancelation or delay, if the flight is not purchased thru carnival, say If I book my flight myself?

Carnival's Berkely Trip Protection (altho not necessarily the best trip insurance purchase) now covers independently purchased airfare. ken

I use my credit card that provides automatic trip cancellation / interruption insurance, so I don't need to buy additional TC/I insurance. I always buy an annual family travel medical policy, so I don't need to buy any additional medical insurance for a specific trip. It is much more economical and gives me all the coverage I need.

It's not just the travel insurance you want to think about, it's the fact that if you get hurt or injured or sick while aboard the ship or on land, the officers of the ship can--AND WILL--put you off the ship with all your luggage, refund whatever's left of your cruise, and it's up to you to find and pay for your way home!! It would have happened to me if I hadn't listened to my husband who is a former U.S. Army combat medic!! We have seen more people than we care to remember being put off ships for minor injuries or sickness! It's not just one company that does this, THEY ALL DO IT--and they can (read the fine print on your contract): They're not breaking any laws, rules, or regulations!! If you have an injury and report it to the ship's medical officer, in all probability they will put you off because they don't want the hassle of additional legal problems; this is something you don't know until it happens! One example: one of our fellow passengers fell while making her way back to her cabin during a windstorm; she didn't break anything, but her arm was in a sling put on by the ship's medical officer (this was a Princess cruise), and she was put off in the next port with her luggage and her two children (no man in the picture to help her out)!!

Be safe and HAVE FUN: Cruising is ADDICTIVE!!!

P.S. If you suffer a minor injury, see if you can take care of it yourself.

Archived