Direct Line Travel Insurance

soraya

I've just had a very interesting discussion with Direct Line and it turns out that I am not covered by their insurance for my next cruise.

I was checking to see what the max cost that they cover is for a cruise as I'm thinking/dreaming of a world cruise.

Can't believe that I'm would not be covered by them for an 18day cruise around Norway. I have worldwide annual cover that says covered for 42 day trip.

Apparently, they treat cruising differently and if you are taking a cruise you need to call and tell them and if your cruise is over 7 days you need to pay them extra. £25 extra pp in my case.

It doesn't mention that they treat cruises differently in the booklet.

Just thought that I would let people know.

Thanks for the info. Guess we should all check our insurance. Ours is annual, linked to the bank so we'd better get it checked out.

Is cruise insurance more in case you need air lifting or something like that?

I've just had a very interesting discussion with Direct Line and it turns out that I am not covered by their insurance for my next cruise.

I was checking to see what the max cost that they cover is for a cruise as I'm thinking/dreaming of a world cruise.

Can't believe that I'm would not be covered by them for an 18day cruise around Norway. I have worldwide annual cover that says covered for 42 day trip.

Apparently, they treat cruising differently and if you are taking a cruise you need to call and tell them and if your cruise is over 7 days you need to pay them extra. £25 extra pp in my case.

The condition should be highlighted in their documents, I suggest that you write to the FSA who govern such behaviour and lodge a complaint. There is no mention of any of this in either their Policy Document or Summary of coverage, it only advises that no trip can exceed 42 days.

I know that before I took my first proper cruise in 2005 this was mentioned on the P&O forum (not cc so hope it's OK to mention it) and I cancelled my insurance and moved it. But then Direct Line said it was all sorted. If I hadn't called I wouldn't have known. I checked in policy docs and then their website and then called because I couldn't see it.

Apparently,Ithey reckon I should know because under insured activities where they list the sports you're covered for it says yachting and sailing 12 miles from the coast - but a cruise ship isn't a sporting activity.

Am having a chat with Which? about it and am hoping they will take it up.

we discovered by accident that a lapsed policy did not cover us for cruising after we had cruised!!!) so its something I allways make sure of now ALSO -- do check the WORLDWIDE section --as the Caribbean has EXCLUSIONS and one policy we had quoted , Barbados was one of them !!!

I have been told by many insurance companies that they do not cover cruising unless specified, this is because in the event of a helivac it would cost an absolute fortune, also Doctors charges on board are expensive and are often used for minor problems that in normal holiday circumstances people would either self medicate or go to a pharmacy for advice.

Just e-mailed my annual travel ins. provider (MRL) They said it was part of the annual policy, as long as you don't travel anywhere that the foreing office has advised against.

Glad of that as we have just come back from 2 week Caribbean Ventura cruise!

I have been involved in the Insurance business since 1984 and I have never heard of any travel insurance that excludes cruises. There may be a couple of companies but the vast majority will offer cover as standard. The main problem is the value when it comes to cancellation cover and the length of some trips, but other than that it is normally readily available.

I had assumed that an annual travel policy includes Cruises but when it was pointed out to me that not all do I checked and my policy did not include cruises and neither did my partners ( different companies).

It is also quite a mamoth task to read the small print to check f cruising is covered.

In my experience you must always request cruise cover when you take out the policy as not all offer it as standard.

If you use the comparison sites there is no mention of cruise in the lists you get so you have no idea if you will be covered.

We both went on a cruise last year unaware that we were not insured .

Hi,

please can you tell me your insurance companies

I had assumed that an annual travel policy includes Cruises but when it was pointed out to me that not all do I checked and my policy did not include cruises and neither did my partners ( different companies).

It is also quite a mamoth task to read the small print to check f cruising is covered.

In my experience you must always request cruise cover when you take out the policy as not all offer it as standard.

If you use the comparison sites there is no mention of cruise in the lists you get so you have no idea if you will be covered.

We both went on a cruise last year unaware that we were not insured .

I would imagine that unless the policy states that it doesn`t cover cruises then it will.

We took out Direct Line insurance last year as our normal insurer, whom we had been with for many years, refused to cover my husband for anything related to high blood pressure. He had been put on pills and, although the policy allows high blood pressure, it only covers you if you have been on medication for over one year and are stable. We offered to pay more but they refused.

I phoned Direct Line and took their annual policy, paying a little more, but with the assurance that he was covered for anything related to high blood pressure.

I told Direct Line we were going on a cruise. Maybe the fee was higher because of this but it wasn`t mentioned to me.

hi, we have just tried to take insurance out with SAGA and one question related to the cost of the cruise per person,it appears their maximum cancellation cover is £5000p.p therefore they would not insure us as we were on a dearer cruise than their insurance cancellation cover.....

My insurance was an annual policy with BELL ( part of AXA)cost about £65 and I found out after we had been on the first one this year that cruising was not covered when I rang then and tried to extend the cover they would not do it and I had to buy another policy to cover my 2 weeks cruise costing £29.

My partner had an annual policy with Saga ( cost about £80 I think) which also did not cover cruises, they did upgrade his policy for an extra £25. The policy ran out at the beginning of March and when they sent a quote for renewal with cruises it was £127.

My advise would be not to assume you are covered.

Unless you see it in black and white that cruises are covered in my experience they are not.

Archived