Jewel Hotel AI at Ochos Rios - Perfect day!

monicajay

Last week on our stop in O. R. we sent our daughter and her boyfriend on a tour with Peat Taylor of the Falls and tubing trip while we took a taxi and had the most amazing relaxing day at the Jewel Hotel.

It used to be Sandals Dunn's River Falls but is now under new management and a new name. I had e-mailed first and they confirmed that they do accept a limited number of day visitors from cruise ships. The taxi was $30.00 for both of us for the return trip (although this took a bit of negotiation and they took us there in a shared taxi but came back for us alone). We arrived at 10 AM and got picked up at 3 PM.

This is an adults only hotel and they are willing to accept cruisers on a limited basis depending on the occupancy of the hotel. They do not want big groups that could disrupt the atmosphere for the hotel guests. We had access to the kayaks, beach, lounge chairs, water aerobics classes, pools and swim up bar and floating pool mats. Our rate included drinks and I started with an green emerald (rum, pineapple and ??? ) then switched to beer which was red strip served really, really cold.

We then ate lunch at the buffet but could also have eaten at the poolside grill. The food was great as was the service and the view of the ocean.

The beach is short so this is not a place for those that want to walk on a long beach but it is very clean and the swimming was great. I also really enjoyed the water falls in the pool. In fact, we had such a nice time there that we will seriously consider it for a future vacation.

The rate was a bargain at $40.00 per person although they are planning on increasing it to $50.00 but even at that price it is the cheapest all inclusive day pass in O. R. We also used the free wi-fi in the lobby to pop a few quick e-mails home from our iphone.

When I get a few minutes I will try to upload some pictures and if anyone has questions I'll do my best to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to reserve months in advance. We paid by credit card when we arrived at the hotel. I can't get into my e-mail account right now so I don't have the e-mail but I will post it later.

This hotel offers a great value when compared to other AI that allow day visitors.

• 1 month later...

To BJcruiser,

The taxi (hmmmm) cost us $30.00 return for the 2 of us. A bit sketchy because we really were looking for a private taxi but once we paid and got a receipt from the 'dispatcher' we were put in a mini-van with others who were all going on a tour. Many were saying how lucky we were as we got off at the beautiful hotel. We had pre-booked our return with the driver and he came back (without the tour group) punctually at 3 pm as we had agreed.

It took about 10 min to 'check in' at the hotel, pay and get day wrist bands.

The trip was maybe 10 -12 minutes by taxi.

We paid $40 at the Jewel but when we spoke to them there was talk of increasing to $50. Don't know if it happened.

One way or another this is a bargain compared to deals we have found on any of the islands. Even the all in's in Mexico cost more than this.

This sounds like a perfect excursion for my DH and I when we cruise this upcoming Christmas. How far in advance did you reserve with the hotel? Did they take a deposit in advance?

Also, was it easy to get transportation from the cruise ship or are we better off setting it up with the hotel directly? Was it $30 round trip?

Thanks for any info.

This sounds like a perfect excursion for my DH and I when we cruise this upcoming Christmas. How far in advance did you reserve with the hotel? Did they take a deposit in advance?

Also, was it easy to get transportation from the cruise ship or are we better off setting it up with the hotel directly? Was it $30 round trip?

Thanks for any info.

I booked it about 4 months in advance as they only accept a limited number of day passes per day. They adjust the number based on the season and the occupancy. I was not required to give a deposit and I did re-confirm my spot with the hotel about 1 week prior to arrival. I paid the fee at the hotel using my Visa card and was required to sign a waiver form regarding use of facilities.

I took part in the water aerobic classes in the pool. Took a kayak out for half an hour and had many frou-frou concoctions at the swim-up bar. I particularly enjoyed the floating pool mats and was able to perch one up alongside the swim-up bar. Heaven!

The $30.00 for transport was round trip for the two of us although as I explained, on the outbound we ended up in a mini-van with others who were going to be going on a tour. When I booked, I asked if we could set the transport in advance and they told be just to get off the ship and get a taxi. They did tell me the rate should be $30 so I knew what to expect and didn't bother haggling.

I had the opportunity to chat with Scott, the manager, as we awaited our return taxi. He explained that the goal is not to let the hotel be over-run with cruisers but to provide people the opportunity to experience the hotel and maybe they will want to come back.

We haven't booked it yet, but might because my husband loved the place.

Archived