Availability of onboard computers

We are debating whether or not to bring our laptop with us as we need to access the internet for business during our transatlantic cruise on the Mariner. I understand the cost of a package deal ( $55 for 100 minutes or so) is the same whether one uses wifi or the computer center machines onboard. Is there any problem with the availability of the computer center machines during the day or night? Is the speed so slow during the day that it makes much more sense to use the online time only at night?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. We will not be bringing any phones with roamability function so that is not an option.

We are debating whether or not to bring our laptop with us as we need to access the internet for business during our transatlantic cruise on the Mariner. I understand the cost of a package deal ( $55 for 100 minutes or so) is the same whether one uses wifi or the computer center machines onboard. Is there any problem with the availability of the computer center machines during the day or night? Is the speed so slow during the day that it makes much more sense to use the online time only at night?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. We will not be bringing any phones with roamability function so that is not an option.

I've never had any trouble finding an open computer on the ship. The busiest time is the last 24 hours before the end of the cruise when everyone is getting their boarding passes. Regarding the speed, it has always seemed painfully slow, though late evening sometimes was better. I suspect the speed is more dependent on how much the ship's business services are using the internet as opposed to the other passengers.

Is all you need email? The ship's computers run painfully old browsers that cannot access sites with newer features (some Flash, etc). If you absolutely need certain websites to work and/or need programs like Microsoft Office, you have to bring your own computer as you cannot install or run anything on the ship's computers.

Is all you need email? The ship's computers run painfully old browsers that cannot access sites with newer features (some Flash, etc). If you absolutely need certain websites to work and/or need programs like Microsoft Office, you have to bring your own computer as you cannot install or run anything on the ship's computers.

That's a very good point. I should have mentioned that. In addition, you cannot insert any media (USB flash, CD, etc.) in the ship's computers. Not even sure you can view or print a PDF file.

Bob

There were times that one could not get on for 2 or 3 days with a netbook. Also people with MAC's could not get on at all.

Too many people with Ipods, Ipads, and kids with Blackberrys truned on that latched and held the limited number of IP numbers for WIFI use.

The only way that I got on some times was on a port day go to customer relations and ask them to call IT rep and do something. (kick everyone off).

RCL knows that they have this problem but can't fix it. Nor do they tell people to turn off the devices when they are not using them.

They want the revenue of the $7.50 a minute phone calls off of the ship.

Also the computers the ship had you could not pull up the new RCL webpage. The software is so old. (major screw up by the famous RCL IT department). They should have updated the ships before they updated the web site.

I suggest bring your laptop and hit a WIFI cafe at each port stop. (Ask the crew where the free hot spots are...they know.)

If you plan that and don't need to... you will not be disappointed.

Archived