Is 7 Nights Too Long?

martikus

We are wanting to take our DS (he'd be 5) on his first cruise. I think he'd love the RCCL Oasis class or freedom class ships based on what he likes to do, but I'm worried 7 nights will be too long? While I know there is a lot to do on board, I just have these nightmares of L O N G days where he is sick of the pools and nothing else to do since obviously he is a little young to lay out in the sun and chill.

DH & I go on an annual cruise, but we spend most of it just relaxing and reading so it's hard to picture how to amuse DS for 7 nights! I should also mention DS is awake by 7am EVERY day - no exceptions so it could be a very long day for us!

Hmmm...maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay the higher $$ for a shorter Disney cruise to try it all out.

I am sure I'm overthinking this, but I'd love to hear stories of those of you who did 7 nights with kids this age.

Michelle

You'll "amuse" your child on a ship just the way you do at home! As long as parents are happy, so will be the child!

And, at 5, he's old enough for any cruiseline's kid's club...kids that age LOVE the activities....you will probably have to fight him to get him to spend time with you!

No..a 7 nighter is NOT too long!

Trust me on this....A 5 yo boy will NOT be bored on a 7 night Caribbean cruise aboard either a Oasis or Freedom class ship! We did Oasis last year with my DS (5) and DD (3) and they had the best time of their short lives so far ;) There is so many great activities in the Adventure Ocean if he wishes to participate,but if not the pools and shows alone will keep him entertained for days. Besides the ports will break up the days with new scenary and activities.

If I were you, I'd go with Oasis. Can't beat it! We loved it so much as a family vacation last year, that we booked Allure this year! The kids can't wait....

I took my DD on a 7 night cruise on the Liberty of the Seas when she was 4, and again when she was 5. She was never bored. There was plenty for young children to do on this ship. I have also heard that RC plans to add DreamWorks characters to the Freedom class ships, which would make them even better for younger children :).

I am looking at planning a family cruise for several members of my family next year. We all have children who range in age from 3 years old to teens. One of the ships that I really considering is the Freedom of the Seas, because there is plenty to do for children of all ages.

Freedom is getting the Dreamworks Experience in 2 weeks.

We recently returned from a five-day vacation with DS at a land-based resort. We found that it takes about 4 days to really get comfortable with the property, to have that home-like feel, where you know where everything is and are in the groove of the place. We regretted not staying longer.

On the Oasis and Freedom class ships, there's going to be tons to do. Add in the kid's club, and ports, and I wouldn't worry about a 5 year old getting bored. Especially if you have to fly to the port, I would definitely do 7 nights.

My kids are 7 and 9 and we've been cruising for two years. Their first cruise was 7 nights. Since then, we've been on two 9 night and a 14 night. So, I guess I would be in on the "nope, not too long" vote. Both my girls enjoy Adventure Ocean (the kids program). But, even when they are not there, we enjoy putt-putt golf, rock climbing, ping-pong, craft classes and everything else that is offered. The only thing that I find is that it is tiring. Our days are not nearly so packed with activities and so long as on a cruise. A little down time in the cabin with a DVD on a portable player or a book is a welcome and needed daily event for us.

Enjoy and have a great time with whatever you decide!

We just came back from seven nights on the Celebrity Eclipse with our DS, 4.5. Now, our ship was more of an adult experience, and we were prepared for that. Our son enjoyed the kids' club, the pool on the ship, and the beach days in port. I will say that by the second sea day, we had run out of things to do with him. It was too rough to use the pool, and we didn't want him to spend the entire day in the kids club. That meant entertaining him in the cabin for some time.

Every family is different, but I feel like the more ports, the merrier. It's the sea days that are more challenging with a young child. I know others may feel differently. I would also say that Disney would have lots of activities the whole family could do together. The bottom line is, with a child this age, it's not necessarily going to be a relaxing vacation (up early... etc.), but it can be lots of fun. My advice is invite a grandparent if you have that option.

DS and I have been cruising since he was 5-going-on-6, and always have done 7 nighters. He has always had so much fun in the kids' clubs, he would be extremely happy if I just dropped him off there and picked him up a week later, lol. If I didn't insist on dinner together every night, I would never see him! ;)

On DCL especially, they take such good care of the kiddos, you feel like you can relax and have your own vacation. But there are also plenty of family activities that you can all do together. One highlight for us was getting to play on the Mickey Mania gameshow together. Such great memories!!

Now that he's older (15), we've found that RCI is the better choice for us. He and his best friend had *such* a fun time on Voyager last year, and he's looking forward to more fun on Mariner next year. Tons of older kid stuff to do.

Our one exception was the Grand Princess. There, the 10-12 year olds were literally in a windowless conference room, coloring on the floor. It was awful, and this was even during Spring Break. He spent time at the pool, but was a lot more bored that cruise.

Whatever you decide, I wouldn't be worried about 7 nights being too long. For us, it's always too short!! :D

I hope its not too long...because I'm about to take my 4 yr old on a 9 night cruise and its our first!

I thought about that too, but you know what? I hear so many good things about the kids club and if he likes that there will definitely be time for you and dh to relax. Have a great time if you go!

Archived