Why The RCI Premium ?

I agree that since the advent of ES rates, it sure took the sail out of SALE. The sales are so rarely deals.

Right now I have more past cruises with Carnival because they are so convenient....but have 4 in a row after Elation that I have to fly to to get to RCL cruises. So for me the RCL premium is airfare, but I feel the cost of my RCL cruises is a deal and a half. I have great deals on all 4 RCL cruises ...enough so to make it worth it to fly there.

Even with 4, I think Ill still have more Carnival, but it will catch me up a lot and make me finally diamond on RCL. Bring on the $200 balcony discount, bribe me.

Carnival would charge RCI fares if they could. As many of you cheerleaders like to point out in the Mobile threads, it is a business. Carnival has lower fares because of supply/demand.

Lower fares do not mean less profitability. If a cruise only cost Carnival $0.01 per passenger, they would still charge the maximum fare the market would bear. Why wouldn't they?

But the opposite is not true. RCCL can't approach the value that Carnival offers and stay in business. Carnivals costs are lower.

But the opposite is not true. RCCL can't approach the value that Carnival offers and stay in business. Carnivals costs are lower.

I agree and I don't see myself cruising RCI anytime soon. I've looked into the product and don't think the "premium" is worth it.

Supply and demand...it varies from ship to ship and time of year and port. RCI has plenty of ships with lower prices, you just have to know when to shop the product. You need to know your classes of ships and how they compare. Both cruise lines have the same activities overall - just the activity name varies.

I see cruise line prejudice here....

The loyalty perks and suite perks are far superior on RCI. So if you haven't reached those levels....

I'm never crazy about the overall appearance of the Carnival ships...but that won't stop me if the price is right and if I'm sail with friends. RCI ships are just prettier and easier to figure out where you're going.

Looking forward to my birthday cruise on RCI Radiance of the Seas...the most beautiful class of ships - 4 nights for $249 pp. (military discount) - In the largest balcony before the suites. Can't beat it. :D Does CCL even offer military discounts?

Gina

Supply and demand...it varies from ship to ship and time of year and port. RCI has plenty of ships with lower prices, you just have to know when to shop the product. You need to know your classes of ships and how they compare. Both cruise lines have the same activities overall - just the activity name varies.

I see cruise line prejudice here.... (ya think??!!)

The loyalty perks and suite perks are far superior on RCI. So if you haven't reached those levels....

I'm never crazy about the overall appearance of the Carnival ships...but that won't stop me if the price is right and if I'm sail with friends. RCI ships are just prettier and easier to figure out where you're going.

Looking forward to my birthday cruise on RCI Radiance of the Seas...the most beautiful class of ships - 4 nights for $249 pp. (military discount) - In the largest balcony before the suites. Can't beat it. :D Does CCL even offer military discounts?

Gina

Yes, Carnival does offer military, but it usually isnt as good as ES.

Some of these people stating they will never cruise RCL have never even been on a RCL ship .... so consider the source. How can you be a expert and compare the lines if you havent been on one of them?? lmao...

Carnival has its cheerleaders, same as RCL.

You did really good on Radiance ... I did good for two Jewel cruises ....but only OV.

Hello Guys & Gals ! :)

Hope your having a good day.

I know this topic can be touchy for some, and I don't mean to start an argument, but I just seem to be not understanding a few things- me, my family and friends are planning to go away to the Caribbean for a celebratory holiday this year. I've been looking at the different options in the Caribbean, and well, Royal Caribbean, which I was primarily looking at due to my previous experience with them (albeit 6 years ago, so i'm guessing a lot of things have changed since then) but the prices seem to be well and above that of Carnival. I am, I dare to say, on a budget (quite a contrast to last year), and spending an extra $1000 does seem to puzzle me. My question is if there is a substantial difference between Carnival and RCI that warrants the difference- both cruise lines are standard- I'd understand if one was Premium, but neither are. For example, the cruises i'm looking at:

Carnival Victory 7 Nights Southern

$2,600 Ocean View, 3 passengers

Serenade of the Seas 7 Nights Southern

$3,607 Ocean View, 3 Passengers

Carnival Dream 7 Nights Western

$2,871 BALCONY! 3 passengers

Freedom of the Seas 7 Nights Western

$3,517 Ocean View (Balcony is $3,900) 3 passengers

Carnival Liberty 7 Nights Western

$2,456 Ocean View (Balcony is $2,706) 3 passengers

Allure of the Seas 7 Nights Western

$4,005 Interior (Balcony is $5,087) 3 passengers

How can I put this best- I just gave you a sample of the prices, all at the same time (all depart on similar dates) to give you an idea of what I am talking about, and cruisers which have cruised both, is there something that RCI has and CCL doesn't that warrants the jump in price? No, I do not mean to start an argument, just am looking for trusty information- as I am sure it is to all of us, my vacation is important to me, so I naturally want to make the best choice while saving some money, if I am advised the difference isn't worth it. It also catches my eye that RCI has more extra price things once you board, although I can be wrong. My RCI experience six years ago is obviously useless considering the fact that it was on what is now the smallest ship in their fleet, in a time of cruising now gone by, and in Europe.

So why are the cruise industries two biggest rivals so different price wise? Is this really reflected on the onboard product ?

Looking forward to some help !

Thanks a million :)

Royal is overpriced,overstated,and ugly. There ships have none of the Las Vegas glitz, filled with kids climbing a wall you can do at home . Carnival bigger rooms, better food . With Carnival you pay less and get more and better. ;)

DW and I are Platinum on CCL and 3 cruises on RCI. We like both lines equally, just done more on CCL due to price and itinerary at time we wanted to travel. Have not noticed much difference in lines, just ship differences. Best 2 cruises of all were on RCI Mariner of the Seas, and CCL Liberty.

Pick the cruise you want and enjoy.

Yes, Carnival does offer military, but it usually isnt as good as ES.

Some of these people stating they will never cruise RCL have never even been on a RCL ship .... so consider the source. How can you be a expert and compare the lines if you havent been on one of them?? lmao...

Carnival has its cheerleaders, same as RCL.

You did really good on Radiance ... I did good for two Jewel cruises ....but only OV.

I did the ES for my upcoming Mexican Riviera....got back $460 in OBC. Nice! But still my OS price isn't as good as my last year's 10 and 11 night Mexican Riviera on Radiance of the Seas in a JS. The JS is the nicer of the two rooms I think (JS is larger with better layout and storage) but I'll have to reserve judgment until I get in my OS. ;)

With less competition in the MR out of CA, CCL can certainly get more $ than RCI was getting when they had both Mariner and Radiance out there.

My CCL OBC will buy us what our C&A perks are on RD....free drinks, laundry and internet access. :D

The military rate we got was way lower than the other military rates we've seen so we jumped on it. And you know a D1 is a nice room with a great layout.

Gina

We're Emerald on RC (1 cruise to Diamond!) and one cruise away from being Platinum on Carnival and here's our take:

RC has the most beautiful ships on the ocean. I'd say that's pretty tough to argue with. They are just works of art, but RCCL also owes out the ying yang on those pretty ships and THAT'S why their fares are high. People are willing to pay to zipline, climb a rock wall and watch an ice skating show (which is GREAT, by the way!!) while on the ship and that's their choice.

However, if the truth is known, you only use those services MAYBE once or twice while you're onboard. The ice skating rink is almost never open, the rock climbing wall is only open at certain times and the flow rider, zipline, etc...typically has long lines. It was still fun for our family to do, though. If that's your thing, then RC is the only line that offers them. Period.

Carnival has the best rooms and beds on the seas. LOVE Carnival's beds!!! X has the worst beds on the seas. Oh good grief, does X's beds stink! Sorry, I digress...

Service is equal on both, entertainment is equal on both and people are equal on both. Actually, the worst behavior we've ever seen was on the Mariner of the Seas, and the worst food we've ever had on a cruise was also on that ship. I was, literally, in tears by the fourth day because I just couldn't eat pizza anymore and I'm NOT a picky eater. But, the food on our particular trip was AWFUL! I've never had RC's food be that bad before, though...so, I think it was just a terrible week to have that particular chef's food. Carnival has always had the best food we've ever eaten at sea. None of it's 5 star, and we all know that, but if I had to pick food Carnival wins, hands down. Their cheeseburgers are awesome and their desserts are the best!

I hate Carnival's decor, but who really notices that kind of stuff after the first few hours? That's not why we cruise, so I overlook it. X and RC both have much more refined decor and I prefer that, but I don't prefer their overall experience. There were times we've been bored on those two lines, whereas with Carnival there's just always something going on if we want to do something. Actually, sometimes X felt like God's waiting room after 11pm. BORING!!!!!! That may be our line of choice in about 25 years, but we're in our 40's right now and we prefer a little more fun than that.

RC also has better kids programs, but Carnival has better counselors. That's our experience, anyway. We've actually had our kids be upset to know they wouldn't be seeing their Carnival kids club counselors! They just really seem invested and we love that. I do wish they'd up the "programs", though. The kids just watch TV and make pizzas sometimes and that's not really our kids thing. Like us, they don't cruise to eat and watch TV. They want to experience things....

Anyway, that's about the gist of it. You're gonna hear the cheerleaders from both sides swearing that one is the clear "winner". But, the truth is that they are more alike than different and each one has things you'll like and don't like. I hate the hairy chest contest, but some people think it's a hoot. Ya know? Everybody likes their own things... Price and itinerary is where it's at for us, but YMMV.

Cruise is what you make of it. I have sailed luxury lines that cost $1000 per day and I have sailed budget lines that cost $600 for the entire cruise. And I can honestly say I enjoyed them all.

When I was younger, I used to sail on Crystal with my parents. While it was nice, I always wanted bigger and fancier ships, less formal ambience and younger crowd. These days, DH and I are paying our own way and we are not in a position to sail Crystal all the time. (not even close!) So we are out to explore more variaty. We have recently tried 4 entry-level cruiselines, RCI, NCL, CCL and MSC.

RCI - has the largest, fanciest and most beautiful ships, which are something I always wanted. :)

NCL - love their freestyle atmosphere and suite perks. :D

MSC - most interesting intineraries among budget lines. Euro flair, which can be good or bad. :p

CCL - while nothing stands out, it's an overall fine line. Some people like to compare it to Walmart. I don't know if that's a good comparason but I would like to say, there is nothing wrong with it nonetheless. If Carnival (and Walmart for that matter) can put forwrad a good product with prices that can be enjoyed by more people, kudos to them! We ain't all millionares, are we? ;) I most certainly am not.

Some people pay too much for cruises because they are are morons. Plain and simple. Others because they think if something costs more it is better which I guess is pretty much the same thing. There may be other reasons and excuses.

When I did a B2B Imagination/Majesty of the Seas, The MOS was cheaper, and was a day longer. When I priced the Mariner of the Seas vs. Carnival Splendor, the Mariner was priced less and had larger staterooms. I guess all the people who chose Carnival over RCI were morons.

Then again, when someone calls other people morons who don't agree with their philosophy, it says more about the person than the others.

I have sailed both lines and like them both, but I have to admit if the price was the same I would probably chose RCI, just because I do like them just a bit better.

Last November we got a GREAT deal on RCI and so we jumped on it, but this year when I was ready to book for Oct/Nov the same catagory of balcony cabin on the Freedom of the Seas is $566 MORE than the Carnival Dream....:eek:...to me that's just ridiculous!!!! I work too hard for my money to pay that kind of difference.

Since we like both Carnival and RCI we will just book with the one that has the best deal for where we want to go........this year it has definately been Carnival.

Happy Sailing

Whenever I have booked a GTY on Carnival, I have never failed to receive a free upgrade.

Carnival also often offers FREE upgrades at the time of booking.

I got a free "upgrade" on my earlier CCL cruises, too. I don't consider 3 decks up in the same size room a true upgrade. I'd say going from a basic balcony to a suite is an upgrade.

I've booked a balcony guarantee on RCI and gotten not a Junior Suite but a Grand Suite. Now that's a true upgrade.

But I'm talking about the upsell calls that frequent CCL cruisers get a few weeks before sailing. They should be given away to those loyal cruisers, not offered for sale.

Gina

Why the premium? It's actually very simple. RCI knows their clientele. CCL also knows their clientele. In reality, I'd say RCI is more expensive about 70% of the time, however, both RCI and CCL sail with full ships. People who love cruising find what they like and tend to stick with it. CCL cruisers are typically bargain hunters, while RCI cruisers typically prefer to pay more for what they think are better ships. It has nothing to do with having to pay off ships, and it's not moronic or any other BS like that.

Archived