Just off March 5 Oasis

The Windjammer is crowded -- we went once and never went back. BUT --we never missed it -- there are a lot of excellent alternatives! We found the food all over the ship to be very good. We ate at Giovanni's Table twice -- great food and service. Ate at Chop's the first night -- food was good , service indicative of first night -- it took over 3 hours to eat!

Two thoudghts:

First, the national language in Brazil is Portugese not Spanish.

Second, maybe all of the Americans complaining about the Brazilians can understand the frustrations of the Brits when all of the American come to England and overtake the Indy. Or maybe they can understand the frustration in Spain when the Americans come and take over "their" ships out of Barcelona

Two thoudghts:

Second, maybe all of the Americans complaining about the Brazilians can understand the frustrations of the Brits when all of the American come to England and overtake the Indy. Or maybe they can understand the frustration in Spain when the Americans come and take over "their" ships out of Barcelona

No, actually I don't understand. Please enlighten us as to your frustrations with Americans.

Two thoudghts:

Two thoughts:

The OP did not say Spanish.

Second, please do explain what you mean. I've been on numerous cruises with Brits and I've found Americans and Brits (and Canadians) to get along just fine. In fact, our opinions are often the same.

Two thoughts:

Second, please do explain what you mean. I've been on numerous cruises with Brits and I've found Americans and Brits (and Canadians) to get along just fine. In fact, our opinions are often the same.

I agree completely. I love being with Brits which is one reason that I go over to London whenever I can. And yes, I love being with Canadians too.... I just thought I would add that before anyone jumps on me for leaving them out.;):D So, I too, look forward to this explanation.

Hello all,

We were also on the same cruise. My understanding is that there was 2600 Brazilians on board this week and over 3000 on the Allure. The only issue we found was they did tend to have a "air" about them that they were better than the rest. My son had a few encounters with them. He was on the basketball court and they were trying to pick a fight with him. When that failed they would talk away in spanish about him and call him a stupid american. We are Canadian.. not that that matters. Another time during a crowded event on the Royal promenade he accidentally stepped on someone's foot .. he apologized but they didn't accept it and shoved him spilling his pop all over him. Another time we were in the Park Cafe and my daughter sat at an empty table while I got our food and this family sat around her and motioned her to leave. She didn't understand spanish so didn't understand what they were saying, so she gave up the table. I was also in the ABBA show when a group of people started fighting.. very scary experience.

These were some bad experiences we had but overall the cruise itself was fantastic! I am planning on posting a review later as well. These kinds of things are certainly not a fault of Royal Caribbean. It is just a fact of life. We didn't let it spoil our cruise.

D

Two thoughts:

The OP did not say Spanish, but another poster did.

No offense, but complain about what?? That they allowed Brazilians and French onboard??

And honestly, I don't think that 8:00 am is too early, nor 11:00 pm too late for activity.

I agree completely. There is really nothing they can do about this.

We were on this cruise also - the language was not a problem for us

it was the extreme rudeness encountered from the Brazilians. Every

American, Canadian we encountered said the same thing. We found

they butted in lines and acted like rabid animals at the sales on the

promenade. Couldn't get close as they would trample you. We have

never encountered this on any other cruise. Finally on the last day I

couldn't tolerate one more person butting in front of me and showed

them the back of the line was behind me. "Oh, they were just looking "

What a crock !! I refused to let them get in front of me as had just had

it from them. Don't care if I sound bigoted, I was there and experienced

their rudeness and got very tired of it really quick.

Enjoyed the shows and Richard Spacey.

We experienced a bit of this on our Feb 26th sailing, but chose to eliminate examples from my review. A few times, they did know they were butting in, and chose to ignore even the hostess at the MDR (lunch time). Did anyone see the sailaway from Fort Lauderdale and happen to get a view of the Sky Bar? I'm trying to be politically correct, but allowing a very young child (perhaps 5 or 6) dance on top of the table with a very teeny bikini was :eek:. Cursing profanities, drinking non-stop, was .... I'll stop here.

Thank you for telling me another check for Freedom for me, been debating Oasis or Freedom for this year (been on LOS twice also and loved her) I not want to deal with crowds and lines sorry you had to, bigger sometimes isn't better.

Definitely happens on FOS also.

Unfortunately rudeness transcends any language barrier so whether it was Spanish or Portuguese they were yelling as they pushed and shoved right in front of us at the ABBA show, I was scared nonetheless. As someone who witnessed this week, I think it is completely unfair of others not on the ship to make judgement. If it had been a 2,500+ group from Texas, China, Spain or the planet Mars, we would all still be disturbed by the situation. It wasn't that they were Brazilian - it was that they were RUDE! Our waiter told us that many of the Brazilians were showing up for their MDR 8:30pm dining time around 10pm and it was making for very long shifts for the crew that week.

Unfortunately, rudeness begets rudeness. I must admit, I found myself at one point acting completely out of character. As I patiently waited in line to sign my girls up for the Labadee waterpark, a woman walked right up in front of all of us and stood at the desk. I gave her a minute to realize she wasn't in the right place and then, when she turned around to check her toddler, I said loudly, "I'm next!" and I gave her "the look", as my kids call it, which means I mean business! She stared me down for a moment or two and then moved. I am usually a very kind person so I was disturbed that I jumped so quickly to be mad at her. Later in the cruise, on the last sea day when the gift shop was packed, another woman and I had a very friendly "You go first", "No, you go first!" "Are you sure?" exchange getting in line .... I think we were both traumatized from the week and wanted to make darn sure we didn't piss anyone else off. :o

Since my children's two week school break is always in March, I would definitely be sure in the future to avoid Carnival week.

...but allowing a very young child (perhaps 5 or 6) dance on top of the table with a very teeny bikini was :eek:. Cursing profanities, drinking non-stop, was .... I'll stop here.

Why was this shocking? Why did it bother you that a child was dancing? I'm sure the size of her bathing suit was not really an issue. And sadly, profanities and non-stop drinking can go hand in hand on any cruise and in any bar or restaurant in any city in the world. Oh well.

From my point of view it's never bigoted to point out someone's lack of common courtesy. Visiting another country without trying to learn even the most rudimentary vocabulary or customs is just rude no matter who does it.

Unfortunately rudeness transcends any language barrier so whether it was Spanish or Portuguese they were yelling as they pushed and shoved right in front of us at the ABBA show, I was scared nonetheless. As someone who witnessed this week, I think it is completely unfair of others not on the ship to make judgement. If it had been a 2,500+ group from Texas, China, Spain or the planet Mars, we would all still be disturbed by the situation. It wasn't that they were Brazilian - it was that they were RUDE! Our waiter told us that many of the Brazilians were showing up for their MDR 8:30pm dining time around 10pm and it was making for very long shifts for the crew that week.

Unfortunately, rudeness begets rudeness. I must admit, I found myself at one point acting completely out of character. As I patiently waited in line to sign my girls up for the Labadee waterpark, a woman walked right up in front of all of us and stood at the desk. I gave her a minute to realize she wasn't in the right place and then, when she turned around to check her toddler, I said loudly, "I'm next!" and I gave her "the look", as my kids call it, which means I mean business! She stared me down for a moment or two and then moved. I am usually a very kind person so I was disturbed that I jumped so quickly to be mad at her. Later in the cruise, on the last sea day when the gift shop was packed, another woman and I had a very friendly "You go first", "No, you go first!" "Are you sure?" exchange getting in line .... I think we were both traumatized from the week and wanted to make darn sure we didn't piss anyone else off. :o

Since my children's two week school break is always in March, I would definitely be sure in the future to avoid Carnival week.

I feel for you. And you are 100% correct that reviews of this matter should not be judged by persons not on the cruise. Those who say "a cruise is what you make of it" have never been stuck among a group like this. I say that from experience because I once reported something very similar on the Adventure of the Seas. You'd think I was insulting CC members' children by the way they supported their beloved AOS.....people not on the cruise, of course.

I was also on this sailing and was HORRIBLY upset by the rudeness. People in our group of 10 (8 adults and 2 kids) all experienced it. Butting in line, reaching, basically walk right through you and never make eye contact, pushing, knocked food from my young son's hand, ruined my teens ability to participate in the teen club by being mean to him and unwelcoming. I have cruised 7 years in a row....6 of those with Royal and never experienced that. Only having 2 stops this week made it worse.....I felt stuck! I agree shows were great!

I think if the initial post had contained more of the concrete examples that have been surfacing many of the early responses would have been different. Whatever group of people it was, or whatever language they spoke, the behavior patterns that are surfacing from that cruise leave something to be desired.... and avoided.

We cruised twice on Oasis and then went back to the Freedom last August. The Freedom actually felt more crowded than the Oasis. It all depends on a particular weeks sailing and the passengers on board. The Freedom was also a let down when it came to dining choices and entertainment.

Now that we're back from Oasis and love the size and options that were available, we're not sure where to start? Freedom class entered my mind, but I have a lot to research now for our next RCI cruise. I don't think anything can top Oasis (except Allure). We also love the newness of the Oasis class as well.

I think if the initial post had contained more of the concrete examples that have been surfacing many of the early responses would have been different. Whatever group of people it was, or whatever language they spoke, the behavior patterns that are surfacing from that cruise leave something to be desired.... and avoided.

You really need to stop responding to this post, you were not there, period!

We also just came off the 3/5 Oasis cruise and have to say that while we overall had a great time there were moments/incidents that made the 4 of us say we will most likely never cruise the Oasis again.

Yes, there were many Brazilian people on board who, for the most part, were lovely folks who seemed to be having a great time. On the other hand there was the older, very well dressed, heavily made up, dripping with jewels Brazilian woman who blew her nose (without a tissue/napkin or anything else) all over the walk way on Labadee! Lovely sight to see! And the Brazilian family who sat next to us at Hairspray and talked on their walkie talkie for most of the show until the husband and wife had a very loud argument and walked out. We also had the delightful American woman who was so angry that my daughter moved her own pool chair into the sun by about 6 inches that when said American woman wanted to recline her chair she just dropped it onto my daughters ankles. It would have been so easy for her either ask my daughter to move her chair or for her to move hers forward as she had about a foot and a half in front of her!! When my husband said "Excuse me, do you mind?" she said "Yes I do mind, she moved her chair into my space!" Excuse me?? Since when is it "her space"? Just a very rude, seemingly entitled b..ch!

We thought the food was good....especially loved Giovanni's. Had great service and food. Wished we had skipped Chop's as the service was slow and the food mediocre at best although the desserts were awesome. We has MTD which worked well for us...ended up having the same waitstaff the whole week...they were fine....not amazing but ok. We also had a glass of wine each night in Vintages and found it to be quiet and very enjoyable. The waitstaff in there was top notch too!

I was also on this sailing and was HORRIBLY upset by the rudeness. People in our group of 10 (8 adults and 2 kids) all experienced it. Butting in line, reaching, basically walk right through you and never make eye contact, pushing, knocked food from my young son's hand, ruined my teens ability to participate in the teen club by being mean to him and unwelcoming. I have cruised 7 years in a row....6 of those with Royal and never experienced that. Only having 2 stops this week made it worse.....I felt stuck! I agree shows were great!

Jilliebean, EMH3kids, RN7997 - so sorry to hear of your experiences.

Jilliebean, hope your daughter wasn't injured :eek:?

EMH3kids - wow, as if the waiters aren't already exhausted working such long shifts, and at such super speed.

RN7997 - speechless ...

We experienced a bit of this on our Feb 26th sailing, but chose to eliminate examples from my review. A few times, they did know they were butting in, and chose to ignore even the hostess at the MDR (lunch time). Did anyone see the sailaway from Fort Lauderdale and happen to get a view of the Sky Bar? I'm trying to be politically correct, but allowing a very young child (perhaps 5 or 6) dance on top of the table with a very teeny bikini was :eek:. Cursing profanities, drinking non-stop, was .... I'll stop here.

Why was this shocking? Why did it bother you that a child was dancing? I'm sure the size of her bathing suit was not really an issue. And sadly, profanities and non-stop drinking can go hand in hand on any cruise and in any bar or restaurant in any city in the world. Oh well.

See, Red Dragon? No matter how eloquently you try to put it, there's always someone who just has to question your logic. Good luck with your review. I, for one, want to read it after all the research you did before your cruise.

You really need to stop responding to this post, you were not there, period!

Oh geeze, and just when I was finally understanding the reasoning for the OP's position and coming around to his/her point of view.

Well, I do agree with you on one point.... I wasn't there.

There is NO EXCUSE FOR RUDENESS.....no matter what language you do, or don't speak. I'm guessing most of us have been on cruises that had a "group" of people. We have had family reunion cruises....but our tribe has always acted civil, and with respect for the other passengers. I can't figure out why most tribes can't communicate without shouting at each other. I haven't witnessed as bad an event as the OP's....but I can commiserate, having been on similar cruises...on a smaller scale. Why can't we all just get along??? :confused:

Archived