Train from Cannes to Monte Carlo

Bobocasey

Has anyone taken the train from Cannes to MC? How easy is it? How long does it take? How much does it cost? Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time? Is it dependible(for return trip to catch the boat?) Where do you board the train in Cannes and Monte Carlo? How far away is the train depot from the Rock in MC? Our ship gets into Cannes at 10:30 and leaves at 8:00pm do you think it is doable?

Thanks

Basically , yes. This question gets asked alot and a search will bring up many answers. You can buy the tickets at the station, trains run like every 20 minutes or so. I can't recall the time factor off the top of my head but do a search Train Cannes Monte Carlo (or Monaco) and see how much information is there.

The trains are part of the regional French TER system and there are usually 2 or 3 trains per hour on the route. It takes approximately 1:05 to get from Cannes to Monte Carlo. Since these are regional trains (similar to commuter trains) no reservations are accepted and you simply buy your ticket at the train station from the vending machines or the ticket window.

Hank

• 1 year later...

We are also looking into taking the train to Monaco from Nice and wonder if anyone has done this and if this a scenic way to go? Is there is enough time to visit Monte Carlo, Cannes and Nice in the time that the ship is in Port.

You can easily take the train between Nice and Monaco (only about 20 minutes) but the route is not very scenic because a lot of it is in tunnels. A more scenic route is to take the #100 bus which is somewhat slower, but also cheaper (only 1 Euro) and takes the coastal route. You do not say which port...but if you are in Villefranche you can easily do both Nice and Monte Carlo. But Cannes is somewhat out of the way. And we should mention that although we have staying in Cannes on several ocassions (we love to be there for dinner) we think that Antibes has more charm then Cannes (and is closer to Villefranche and Monte Carlo).

Hank

Thanks for all the responses. We will be docking in Cannes. So you are saying that we can take the train, but not scenic. Is the bus slow? We only have about 8 hours, but would like to pack as much in in that time as we can! Probably be better off taking a tour!

Talking about tours. has anyone used cruisingexcursions.com? They have a pretty nice looking tour from Cannes, Eze, Fragonard, Monaco, Montecarlo and then return. Could anyone recommend this tour? The only place they don't go is Nice and I wonder if I will miss something if we don't go there.

Thanks for all the responses. We will be docking in Cannes. So you are saying that we can take the train, but not scenic. Is the bus slow? We only have about 8 hours, but would like to pack as much in in that time as we can! Probably be better off taking a tour!

If you want to go from Cannes to either Nice or Monte Carlo the train is your best bet because its a lot faster then using the bus. Most of the buses are local, run along the coastal route, and make lots of stops. The buses do certainly give you a much better view of the area....but its just too slow if you going as far as Nice.

Hank

• 11 months later...

I read in a (pretty old) Travel Guide that the trains between Marseilles and Ventimiglia have dubious reputations, i.e., criminally.

Has anyone found the trains from Cannes to Monaco worrying in this respect?

I read in a (pretty old) Travel Guide that the trains between Marseilles and Ventimiglia have dubious reputations, i.e., criminally.

Has anyone found the trains from Cannes to Monaco worrying in this respect?

Well, we have been on this line many times over the past forty years without any kind of mishap. This train line is similar to a commuter train with folks routinely using it to get about the region at reasonable cost. You might even see passengers come on their train with bicycles (which is fine). Like any train or tourist area in Europe, there are always going to be some pickpockets (many of whom are gypsies) looking for an easy payday. Just take reasonable precautions (which means carry your valuables in a secure manner) and always be alert to your surroundings. These simple rules should apply everywhere you go.

And by the way, common sense is the best weapon against thieves. On trains, they will generally use some kind of "snatch and run" tactic which means they will case the train looking for an easy mark (somebody who is not careful with their valuables). They will make their move as a train is entering the station and then jump off the car. So if you are holding any packages or have stuff that would be easy to grab...be especially vigilant as the train comes to a stop.

Another thing to keep in mind is that professional pick pockets/purse snatchers often work in teams (usually 2 or 3). One of those thieves will often do something to first distract their mark (trip into the person, spill a liquid on the mark, drop something, etc). Once distracted, it makes it much easier to pick a pocket or snatch a purse (or simply take something out of a purse). The best protection is to have those items secure so that they just cannot get them in an easy way (they will almost always look for the easy mark and ignore those who are smart). For example, DW carries her purse cross-shoulders or cross-body and further secures that item by using a large diaper pin to secure the zippers. If I am carrying a wallet it will usually have 2 large rubber bands wrapped around the item (makes it very difficult to slide it our of my pocket) and I carry it in my front pocket (never put anything into a back pocket). In addition, I will usually secure that front pocket with a safety pin thus making it impossible for anyone to slip a hand into the pocket.

Hank

If you want to go from Cannes to either Nice or Monte Carlo the train is your best bet because its a lot faster then using the bus. Most of the buses are local, run along the coastal route, and make lots of stops. The buses do certainly give you a much better view of the area....but its just too slow if you going as far as Nice.

Hank

Check my new thread on "Nice - train and tram"

Archived