How formal is formal night on the Crown

lefty duck

Help! I am running out of room in the suite case, my hubby has packed his dress slacks, shirt and tie but really doesn't want to pack a suit jacket as he won't wear it anyway. Will it be a problem getting into the dining room on formal nights without a suit jacket?

I agree with the above

They will not refuse you in a button down shirt and tie

Remember at is what you make it

I like to get dressed up every now and then

injoy your cruise

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Help! I am running out of room in the suite case, my hubby has packed his dress slacks, shirt and tie but really doesn't want to pack a suit jacket as he won't wear it anyway. Will it be a problem getting into the dining room on formal nights without a suit jacket?

You are not required to wear a jacket to participate in formal night. Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

He'll be find dressed as you describe. The days of the real formal attire are slowly going by the wayside & they're definitely becoming lest critical of people's clothing unless you you show up in jeans or shorts on a formal night. Don't be fooled into thinking they have the same food in the Horizon or Cafe Caribe in the evenings - They don't. Some of the selections mirror the dining room but the better dishes are not, especially on formal evenings.

You are not required to wear a jacket to participate in formal night. Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

Men were turned away from the dining room that did not have at least a jacket on when I was on the Emerald. On formal night the Caribe Cafe will have lobster claws rather than tails.

I would think that most people who take a cruise vacation can read or at the very least know about formal nights. However IMO far to often, as evidenced by the number of threads on this topic weekly, they immediately want to start pushing the envelope as to what they can get away with. To me Princess is very, very clear as to what is expected in the way of dress on formal nights in the dining rooms.

He may or may not be allowed in the dining room on formal nights without a jacket. It's up to the Maitre d' so it's not consistent. You asked about the Crown and on our 16-day cruise last September, there was only one man in our section of the dining room without a jacket. He was traveling with his family and they consistently arrived for their late seating 30-45 minutes late (usually at about 8:45pm) so it's possible he walked in when the Maitre d' was doing other things.

As said, a jacket is requested and most respect that request.

IMHO, if you're not willing to dress as per the cruiseline's dress code for formal night then don't participate! There are so many dining options, it's not like Princess will make you starve if you don't dress up. There are lots of casual dining options + you can always dine in your stateroom. Please respect your fellow passengers and follow the cruiselines dress code on formal nights, as those evenings are what lots of guests look forward to and when people dress in casual wear they ruin the ambiance and the atmosphere of the dining room.

The last time we were on the Crown was in 2009. We chose to go to Sabitini's on the first formal night and to the Crown Grill on the second one. While there is an extra charge the dress code there is smart casual every night. We did walk by one of the dining rooms on our way to the Grill and heard a man yelling at his wife about being turned away from the anytime dining room since he was not wearing a jacket. I found that interesting as I couldn't understand how it was the wife's problem.

The last time we were on the Crown was in 2009. We chose to go to Sabitini's on the first formal night and to the Crown Grill on the second one. While there is an extra charge the dress code there is smart casual every night. We did walk by one of the dining rooms on our way to the Grill and heard a man yelling at his wife about being turned away from the anytime dining room since he was not wearing a jacket. I found that interesting as I couldn't understand how it was the wife's problem.

The problem could have been solved by simply wearing a long sleeve dress shirt. The jacket wouldn't have even been necessary.

Archived