Grand Turk Nathans Golf Carts

swimgirl1

We rented carts for this past October and I'm not sure that I would do it again. First of all, communication is horrible. Sure they wanted CC information which I gave them but I repeated emailed for confirmation and never heard from them. I emailed 5 times with no response. When we got there we were told that they did not have our name. I went into a royal fit and lo and behold they found my name. The cart was in bad shape. It got us to the lighthouse and back but we were concerned about venturing too far. I know a lot of people have had luck with Nathan but I would be cautious about using them again. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

We rented 2 golf carts for 4 off a carnival cruise Feb 5th and had no problems. I had a little problem finding them as you have to go out of the cruise area to find them. I reserved the carts by phone and was told to e-mail them to get a confirmation, but they never e-mail back. I checked my credit card and knew they had the reservation, so I figured if it didn't work out I would just fight the charge. The carts were a little old but they got us around. We went to the light house and a little resort, can't remember the name, but the beach was nice. We had a couple drinks and snacks and I went into the water. They gave us a map, and we had to stop for directions a couple times, but we found our way. The local people helped and where very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Nathans info. Is the $80 rates for all day/ 1/2 day ?

Also , haven't seen much on scooter(vespa) rental. Did this on Cozumel and loved seeing the island on 2 wheels.

Edited by Laslo294

has anyone had any luck with just showing up and getting a golf cart? we will be there on the 12th of june on the freedom and we are interested in doing this. However I can't get a reply via email. I'm not liking the idea of calling and giving him my credit card number over the phone.

Thanks for the Nathans info. Is the $80 rates for all day/ 1/2 day ?

Also , haven't seen much on scooter(vespa) rental. Did this on Cozumel and loved seeing the island on 2 wheels.

I have never used this person but I was looking around for Deep Sea Fishing and came upon Wet Money and they rent scooters. Nothing on the website regarding pricing but I received very quick email responses to my fishing questions.

website is www dot wet money ent dot com (no spaces)

has anyone had any luck with just showing up and getting a golf cart? we will be there on the 12th of june on the freedom and we are interested in doing this. However I can't get a reply via email. I'm not liking the idea of calling and giving him my credit card number over the phone.

Considering how many people have posted about him being sold out on many occasions, I guess you could try this, but be prepared for there to be zero availability.

Also, no one has posted here (that I recall) that they gave him their CC info and didn't get a cart . . . or a refund, so I don't think there's much to fear about calling him.

Remember, this is an island and it operates on "Island Time". They'll get back to you . . . eventually.

We sailed with some friends on the Liberty 12/7/13 and we had reserved 2 golf carts with a CC, when we arrived we were told that he only had 1 left as the other was broken down, we had 8 people in our party (4 adults, 4 kids) Nathan did offer us a car but after driving down the road a few hundred feet we realized that a car and a golf cart would not work. we returned both and were told a credit would be issued to our CC, it is now 3 months latter and we still haven't seen the credit.

Considering how many people have posted about him being sold out on many occasions, I guess you could try this, but be prepared for there to be zero availability.

Also, no one has posted here (that I recall) that they gave him their CC info and didn't get a cart . . . or a refund, so I don't think there's much to fear about calling him.

Remember, this is an island and it operates on "Island Time". They'll get back to you . . . eventually.

island time or no island time. common courtesy comes into play. a business wants my money they respond. don't respond don't get my money. simple as that. I don't need a golf cart. plenty of other things to do. I have seen several claims of others having issues with getting a refund and can not get a hold of him. oh well off to a different adventure.

island time or no island time. common courtesy comes into play. a business wants my money they respond. don't respond don't get my money. simple as that. I don't need a golf cart. plenty of other things to do. I have seen several claims of others having issues with getting a refund and can not get a hold of him. oh well off to a different adventure.

Voice of experience speaking..... Explore other options! :) We reserved a cart, got a broken down jeep. What would have taken hours to explore in a golf cart, took an hour in a jeep. The lighthouse is about the only thing to see besides the beach.

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to say that I used this thread to find information on what to do in Grand Turk. I called Nathans and reserved a cart for the day we were in port. I was treated very nice buy the person on the other end of the phone, my reservation was waiting for me when I arrived, and the whole cart rental went smooth as butter.

Now, I am also inclined to say that it was a total waste of money too. I, along with my wife and 2 children rode that thing around for a few hours, and saw NOTHING but poverty. (I know it's to be expected) I thought Grand Turk was the worst island I have ever visited in the Caribbean. There is simply NOTHING to do there.

With that said, I hope everyone else is treated as we were, which was pleasantly.

We too rented a golf cart from nathan and thought it was a blast so I guess it is all in your attitude. We went to the cliffs by the lighthouse..visited the destroyed resort and walked and played in the crystal water...laughed at the animals strolling all over the island..visited with many locals (very sweet people) etc...we had a wonderful time and thought the people of the island were kind and very helpful... sorry you had such a bad time but like I said..it is all in the attitude ..

• 2 weeks later...

We have rented from Nathan twice and never gave cc info ahead of time. We made it a point to be among the first off the ship and then high-tailed it to just outside the cruise terminal and got a cart.

We too had a blast exploring the island...even gave a ride to a local who lived in the hurricane damaged area of the island. We drove through many neighborhoods to see how the folks lived in different areas. We also went to a donkey farm to check out the animals, by Governor's Beach (had beach totally to ourselves) and ducked into their grocery store, hardware store, and department stores. Of course, the Lighthouse is a cool place and got some awesome photos there. We would use him again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent email with credit card information as requested more than 5 days ago: No response.

Made follow-up phone call yesterday, was told I'd get a confirmation in the afternoon: Didn't happen.

Have to say I'm baffled and disappointed.

Hope you read the boards, Nathan, just so you know. :mad:

Sent email with credit card information as requested more than 5 days ago: No response.

Made follow-up phone call yesterday, was told I'd get a confirmation in the afternoon: Didn't happen.

Have to say I'm baffled and disappointed.

Hope you read the boards, Nathan, just so you know. :mad:

Another day with no response. Don't understand why you're not following through on a sale. :confused:

I think I have decided to do the same. Still have not heard back from him after ANOTHER email. Enough is enough. We will be traveling the first week of September, and with hurricane season in full force then--there is a chance we may not even make port. Don't want to take a chance we may not get a timely refund, and not sure I want to take on that hassle.

We're going through the same thing, he replied to my email, I sent credit card information, no response. After four days I followed up with phone call, was told I'd get a confirmation by end of the day, never happened. Thought it strange, the person that answered the phone never asked my name, yet promised a confirmation email. It's beyond frustrating, don't know how he stays in business.:mad:

Another day with no response. Don't understand why you're not following through on a sale. :confused:

I don't know why you are still waiting??:confused: Do you really want to give business to someone with such awful customer service and work ethic?

Our experience with Nathan was so bad that I would never use again or recommend him. They didn't have any sign of record keeping, their office was someone sitting in a car on the side of the road. They didn't have the golf cart we reserved, so gave us a jeep that looked like it might not make it and that was only because we had written documentation from Nathan that we had reserved a cart. Like you, we had to practically beg for an email that we could print out stating that we had reserved a cart. Without that email from Nathan, I believe we would have been sent walking when there weren't any carts left.

Grand Turk seems not to have any industry other than cruise ships/tourism. While many islands have the infrastructure to support visitors, GT has few resorts and little shopping opportunities. I think that Nathan (and probably other independent businesses) figure a bird in the hand is better than nothing and will take the "certain" money of someone standing there with a $100 over a reservation that may not show up for one reason or another. Most people don't know about cruise critic, so some negative feedback here won't kill their business. Unless you want to sit in the sun and drink, there's not much else to do on GT!

Yes, I do have a negative POV regarding Nathan and GT, but my experience is the basis for my opinion. :) If we were to sail to this island again, we would stay on the ship.

Edited by 5326jan

I don't know why you are still waiting??:confused: Do you really want to give business to someone with such awful customer service and work ethic?

Our experience with Nathan was so bad that I would never use again or recommend him. They didn't have any sign of record keeping, their office was someone sitting in a car on the side of the road. They didn't have the golf cart we reserved, so gave us a jeep that looked like it might not make it and that was only because we had written documentation from Nathan that we had reserved a cart. Like you, we had to practically beg for an email that we could print out stating that we had reserved a cart. Without that email from Nathan, I believe we would have been sent walking when there weren't any carts left.

Grand Turk seems not to have any industry other than cruise ships/tourism. While many islands have the infrastructure to support visitors, GT has few resorts and little shopping opportunities. I think that Nathan (and probably other independent businesses) figure a bird in the hand is better than nothing and will take the "certain" money of someone standing there with a $100 over a reservation that may not show up for one reason or another. Most people don't know about cruise critic, so some negative feedback here won't kill their business. Unless you want to sit in the sun and drink, there's not much else to do on GT!

Yes, I do have a negative POV regarding Nathan and GT, but my experience is the basis for my opinion. :) If we were to sail to this island again, we would stay on the ship.

Point taken, I am no longer waiting, no longer interested in making it happen. This will be our first trip to GT, we wanted to check it out via golf cart, but obviously that won't be happening. Some loved it, some didn't, guess I'll never know. So be it. Going to check out Jack's Shack, looking forward to it.

Point taken, I am no longer waiting, no longer interested in making it happen. This will be our first trip to GT, we wanted to check it out via golf cart, but obviously that won't be happening. Some loved it, some didn't, guess I'll never know. So be it. Going to check out Jack's Shack, looking forward to it.

Good choice! I wish that's what we did! The only thing you'll miss seeing is the lighthouse and lots of stray donkeys. :(

I've thought about the golf carts too for my cruise in November but I'm not comfortable giving my CC info to someone like Nathan. He probably keeps it on a scrap piece of paper on his desk :eek:

I am looking into scooters though. I found a place that rents them on GT and I was told you can just walk up and rent them if you don't want to reserve one. Of course, no guarantees one will be available but I figure if they have one, fine. If not, I'll beach it.

As other posters stated, not much to do on GT so Nathan stays in business. If he was on a busier island, say like Cozumel. He would have been put out of business long ago.

Grand Turk is the Administrative capital of the Turks & Caicos Islands which simply means that when the ships are in port 85% of the population is at their jobs...they are Civil Servants. ON that note..the sister island of Providenciales is the tourism and financial capital of the Turks & Caicos... minimum cost of hotel rooms are US$250...Has anyone seen anyone begging on the streets or homeless people? While many islands have infrastructure to support tourism Grand Turk is slowly getting there because the cruise industry only accounts for 15% or less of the jobs. Locals will tell you that they have no problems with food, no rush hours, no problems with utilities.... I think the fact that the beach is right at the port sees Grand Turk becoming one of the more popular cruise destinations. I advise persons to do basic research before going to a port so they know what to expect.

We didn't have a problem getting our cart when we went there. Our problem was that while driving it around the island it started on fire! Luckily we all got off of it and the "water department" came and put the flames out. Someone picked us up and took us back to where the gave us the cart and we got another one. I'm not sure why it burst into flames! Could have been a very different ending. My avitar is the golf cart!

We didn't have a problem getting our cart when we went there. Our problem was that while driving it around the island it started on fire! Luckily we all got off of it and the "water department" came and put the flames out. Someone picked us up and took us back to where the gave us the cart and we got another one. I'm not sure why it burst into flames! Could have been a very different ending. My avitar is the golf cart!

:eek::eek::eek: OMG!!! Another stellar recommendation! :o

We rented from Nathan for our cruise in 2012 and when we got to the area on the side of the road..they offered us a jeep instead. We did take it as it was the same price but it had missing nuts on the wheels, it poured rain for a little bit and we literally had to drive holding the roof cover down because the clips were broken. We laughed but that's just how we are..just go with the flow type of people.

That's definitely scary about the golf cart bursting in flames. Glad everyone got off of it safely.