Grand Turk Nathans Golf Carts

swimgirl1

Fellow CCers

I decided to send an e-mail to Nathan regarding this recent feedback. Here is my e-mail:Nathan:

>

>Lately on Cruise Critic Grand Turk web site there has been some complaints as to the condition of your golf carts and them not being in good working order. Is this some people complaining with "sour grapes?" Any cause for concern? We are very much looking forward to our day on your island and with one of your golf carts. Some of my Cruise Critic friends asked me to send you a note regarding this recent development and these complaints. Many of my CC friends are renting with you already or are considering renting and have asked me to let them know of our day on Grand Turk 2/23.

and his response FWIW:

Hi TerryIt have in this business for about 16 years before i take from some one , i will give , we had some people had a cart , and they use it all day and at the end of the day ,they say the cart was not working good , and i told them why you did not contact me , you had my phone no. then they say they want all there money back, and i said to them why you are asking for all of your money back, i will give you half back , and they told me they will talk bad about my business, so they did ,.

Nathan

will post on our return

Greg

We have also rented a golf cart from Nathan for the next day, Friday 2/24/12, will be sure to update the posting with our review. Thanks for the tip to communicate we are part of the large Cruise Critic following; and have read both good and bad about how the rentals are handled. Hoping for a great day visiting Grand Turk.

Just found a review from Ruby 1/8-15. I pulled this excerpt from it: Thanks to the reviewer!

Grand Turk (Fri, 13 Jan, 11am-7pm): I'd read on this board about Nathan and the golf cart rental. I emailed him a few weeks before the cruise, sent him the credit card number via email, and for $80 we had a golf cart for the day. I waited at the taxi stand while hubby walked thru the parking lot, out the gate, to find Nathan and the golf cart. Five minutes later, a van pulled up with a driver and my hubby to pick me up. We drove thru the parking lot to an area on the side of the road (literally), where a very nice lady showed us the golf cart and how to start and stop. We were reminded to bring it back with ½ tank of gas (it had ½ of a tank when we picked it up). As we pulled away, we were reminded “drive on the left”. Traffic is not an issue. We drove on the main roads, the side roads, dirt roads, uphill, downhill, down little paths to the beach. We stopped and took pictures. We drove to the lighthouse (the most northern part of the island. The beaches in this area aren’t that wonderful to look at, but the beach where we docked is very nice. There was some new construction going on. They were quaint – not the mansions you see on other islands. We noticed most of the houses were on the side of a cliff – beach access was nonexistent. The entire island is only 7 miles long and about a mile wide. We’d read some good reviews for a place called Jack’s Shack so we decided to stop there – it’s within eyesight of Margaritaville at the dock. We ordered one of the “special” drinks – they all have ‘beachy’ names and it was very good. We had some conch fritters – delicious! This was a more laid back area than Margaritaville and right on the beach. This was probably our most fun day at the ports – the golf cart was well worth the price to come and go as we liked. Jack’s Shack is a nice stop as well. We loved it and would definitely rent a golf cart again when we return! We returned the golf cart to the same pickup area and we were driven (in a van) back to the port. It’s only a very short distance, and easily walkable, but being lazy and on vacation, we didn’t refuse the ride.

Just found a review from Ruby 1/8-15. I pulled this excerpt from it: Thanks to the reviewer!

Grand Turk (Fri, 13 Jan, 11am-7pm): I'd read on this board about Nathan and the golf cart rental. I emailed him a few weeks before the cruise, sent him the credit card number via email, and for $80 we had a golf cart for the day. I waited at the taxi stand while hubby walked thru the parking lot, out the gate, to find Nathan and the golf cart. Five minutes later, a van pulled up with a driver and my hubby to pick me up. We drove thru the parking lot to an area on the side of the road (literally), where a very nice lady showed us the golf cart and how to start and stop. We were reminded to bring it back with ½ tank of gas (it had ½ of a tank when we picked it up). As we pulled away, we were reminded “drive on the left”. Traffic is not an issue. We drove on the main roads, the side roads, dirt roads, uphill, downhill, down little paths to the beach. We stopped and took pictures. We drove to the lighthouse (the most northern part of the island. The beaches in this area aren’t that wonderful to look at, but the beach where we docked is very nice. There was some new construction going on. They were quaint – not the mansions you see on other islands. We noticed most of the houses were on the side of a cliff – beach access was nonexistent. The entire island is only 7 miles long and about a mile wide. We’d read some good reviews for a place called Jack’s Shack so we decided to stop there – it’s within eyesight of Margaritaville at the dock. We ordered one of the “special” drinks – they all have ‘beachy’ names and it was very good. We had some conch fritters – delicious! This was a more laid back area than Margaritaville and right on the beach. This was probably our most fun day at the ports – the golf cart was well worth the price to come and go as we liked. Jack’s Shack is a nice stop as well. We loved it and would definitely rent a golf cart again when we return! We returned the golf cart to the same pickup area and we were driven (in a van) back to the port. It’s only a very short distance, and easily walkable, but being lazy and on vacation, we didn’t refuse the ride.

Yikes, is the red too hard to read?

Edited by 5326jan

We as well rented one of Nathan's Golf Carts on our port stop on Grand Turk on Friday, January 20th. There is not much I can add to the above post. My wife and I were able to share the cart with another couple, making $20 pp an extremely affordable excursion.

That being said, there really isn't much to see. Everyone takes the trip to the lighthouse, passing the NASA space capsule display along the way. Watch out for the cows, donkeys, and dogs close to and crossing the road.

We stopped at Jack's Shack for a promised free sample of local rum (very smooooth) and an enjoyable lunch. After lunch, we returned to Governor's Beach a short distance away.

The golf cart provided fun transportation, but the two stops we enjoyed the most, Jack's Shack and Governor's Beach were fairly close to the port and our ship. We could have walked to each. I'm not sure I would rent a cart again if we return to Grand Turk.

We as well rented one of Nathan's Golf Carts on our port stop on Grand Turk on Friday, January 20th. There is not much I can add to the above post. My wife and I were able to share the cart with another couple, making $20 pp an extremely affordable excursion.

That being said, there really isn't much to see. Everyone takes the trip to the lighthouse, passing the NASA space capsule display along the way. Watch out for the cows, donkeys, and dogs close to and crossing the road.

We stopped at Jack's Shack for a promised free sample of local rum (very smooooth) and an enjoyable lunch. After lunch, we returned to Governor's Beach a short distance away.

The golf cart provided fun transportation, but the two stops we enjoyed the most, Jack's Shack and Governor's Beach were fairly close to the port and our ship. We could have walked to each. I'm not sure I would rent a cart again if we return to Grand Turk.

Thanks for the information.. Were the carts in good working order?

Thanks for the information.. Were the carts in good working order?

Yes, the carts were in as good a condition as well used golf carts can be. You have the option of refilling the gas tank to the level when you picked it up or paying an extra $10 when you return it. Unless you drive continuously, I would recommend paying the extra $10.

Yes, the carts were in as good a condition as well used golf carts can be. You have the option of refilling the gas tank to the level when you picked it up or paying an extra $10 when you return it. Unless you drive continuously, I would recommend paying the extra $10.

I hope we all get one of the good ones! Thank you for help.:)

Thank you for the posts! We will be there in March. I did read in one of the reviews that a van picked you up and dropped you off in port? My mom and grandma will be with us and that would be very helpful if they would pick them up. Anyone know if it was a request or standard practice?

My DH and I rented a golf cart from Nathan a few years ago. We found it to be in good condition and we had a blast! We toured the entire island, met some locals, loved seeing the donkeys etc.. and found a small "hidden beach" along the way. We ended the day at Governors Beach, and although many could have walked there, I have a mucle disorder and would not have been able to walk and carry my beach bag as well. I found it a pleasant, enjoyable day, and $80.00 was a pretty reasonable "shore excursion".

• 5 weeks later...

Just prior to our trip, there was a spate of negative comments regarding Nathan's Golf Carts. I said that I would post my experience when back from our trip, so here it is, First just lets me say that except for an occasional starting problem(?), which it always started after some choking and cranking, we had NO issues and had an absolute blast driving everywhere we wanted.

It is easy to pick-up your cart and sign the waiver forms, about a quarter mile walk out the port retail center, across the parking lot, and they're just outside the gate. We were assigned cart #10, and were off for Adventures in Paradise! Pick up a map at the Port Information booth before getting your cart as Nathan's map is rudimentary at best. We first stopped at a gas station and filled up ($20.00) as the gas gauge said half and if you don't return with half its extra. We had a little more than half a tank on our return in spite of going all over!

After starting, the cart always ran well with no issues. Any wrong turn we took was just a part of the fun (never lost) and always got back on the right track . all locals were friendly, smiling and helpful with directions. We went to the lighthouse, awesome views and water colors- indescribable! An isolated beach as previously posted for conch shells, we brought three beauties home amongst the four of us (no problems). Mine was huge!

Went to the museum and "town." Played dodge with the free roaming donkeys and cows, as well as their "landmines" everywhere, hit Governor's Beach for a swim, got back and dropped off the cart, shopped at the cruise port (Terry and I), checked out the pool and ambiance at Magarittaville (Jane & Bruce). Got back to our balcony cabin, made a drink and watched the race to the gangway.

Anyone considering the golf carts DO IT!

Thanks for the update and tip on map. We're looking at carts or jeeps. Thinking jeeps might be a better bet if we're heading up to the lighthouse and then over to the north of town for lunch,Regal Begal, then back to Jack's Shack to meet up with the roll call and grab our "free" rum drink. How long were you out? How were the roads? and how well did the cart handle them in terms of ride? Directions (or thread with directions) to the conch shell beach? any problems bringing them on board or with customs later?

Edited by crewsweeper

We were out on the cart from about 11:30 - 4:00.

If you are coming back from the lighthouse.

There is a house on your right with a bright red roof.

Across the street there is a gate with a little building in the middle. Like a little guard shack.

It is very overgrown. Turn in and you will go over some grates in the road.

You can go over it with the golfcart. drive until the end, not far.

leave the cart and walk onto the beach there were a few conches right there. We walked a little down the beach to the right, and went into the water about mid thigh. If you see a round clump of green sea weed on the bottom, push it with your foot, if it moves, its a shell. We found over a dozen. No problem bringing on board, just had them in our beach bag.

It rides like a golf-cart ;) most roads were smooth, but there a lots of pot holes in some areas. No problem tooling around them.

Thank you Maniac for remembering to come back and let us know. :D We leave in two weeks and I'm so happy to hear that it's a good day. Were there other ships there on the day that you rented?

Yes there was another ship in port the day the Azzura and us. When we got to the Golf Carts, someone was just leaving with their's and there was only one more when we left with ours.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know the latest about the golf carts. Maybe it was just a disgruntled "customer" who stirred things up on here.....

When I emailed Nathan about reserving for our family of five, he "thought" we could fit, as he has seen five people get on the carts before.....

I didn't go further with our reservation because it was about that time the negative reviews began showing up.

I also really wondered IF all five of us could handle being on the golf cart.

Three of us are fairly tall - 6'2'. 6'1', 5'11', and then two 5'6". Two nice-sized men, two thin ladies (one OLD, one very young), one teen boy.

So, whaddya think? Could we easily fit, or would we be squished beyond recognition? (and have no room for beach bags and such)??

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know the latest about the golf carts. Maybe it was just a disgruntled "customer" who stirred things up on here.....

When I emailed Nathan about reserving for our family of five, he "thought" we could fit, as he has seen five people get on the carts before.....

I didn't go further with our reservation because it was about that time the negative reviews began showing up.

Three of us are fairly tall - 6'2'. 6'1', 5'11', and then two 5'6". Two nice-sized men, two thin ladies (one OLD, one very young), one teen boy.

So, whaddya think? Could we easily fit, or would we be squished beyond recognition? (and have no room for beach bags and such)??

We'll be there next week. :D I can give you my opinion when we get back.

3 of you would be on the back bench seat. I's say it might be a tad uncomfortable for those 3. If all of you can go together to a golf cart dealer in your area and sit in one of the models with a seat, good way to test. Maybe look at a Jeep for an extra $10 as an alternative. With a Jeep, in addition to Nathans, you have Tony's Rentals to chose from as well. Same price, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion of trying it out someplace here first!

And thanks for the advice of going for a jeep, instead.

Yes, I had discovered Tony's .....

and it seems that cars are actually cheaper to rent, anyway....

There would certainly be more room in a car - having the trunk and all.

I guess I was kind of looking for the "adventure/new experience/open air" feeling....ha!

Thanks, everyone...

Will be back to hear the others' reviews...

blessings...

Hi Guys! I told you I would come back and write about my experience with Nathan's Golf Carts, so here I am! I just got back tonight from an amazing cruise on Ruby Princess. Nathan's Golf Carts was not among the highlights! :rolleyes:

First off, we arrived in Grand Turk at 1pm on March 16. I made reservations November 4, 2011.... they knew I was coming and I had paid. Carnival Glory was the other ship in port this day and they arrived earlier in the day. We walked through the port area and out the gate, looking for golf carts and see none. Someone from the back seat of a white sedan pops his head out when he hears me ask where I find Nathan's Golf Carts and grunts a greeting. The woman sitting in the front seat calls me over and says "We've got a problem. One of our golf carts broke down this morning, so all we have for you is a jeep." Our choice is take the jeep or walk back through the gate, not knowing if a refund was going to materialize. We took the jeep.

If you want to see the island, it's not a bad option. The problem is the roads are so bad and there is so little to see on the island that you are paying about $40/hour for the jeep. The gas fee is $15 now. We did drive to the end of the island and saw the light house, which is mildly interesting, we saw the water on all sides of the island and we got a taste of the life style of Grand Turk. There are a large number of stray donkeys on the island, so if you drive, take precautions when rounding corners!:eek:

All in all, I'd say that if you have any interest in the beach, choose that option. We did not enjoy our time on Grand Turk, but I'm not sure it would have been different if we had arrived and found a high end, brand new shiny golf cart waiting for us.

BTW, there is no downtown Grand Turk. There is an area called downtown that we drove by several times before we realized that it was downtown. There is a small.....very small....museum a post office and a town hall, but none that stand out as being important buildings. There is no shopping and we only saw two gas stations on the island... and saw no grocery stores. The Tru-Value Home improvement store seemed to be the most important building we saw.

As for the positives, we heard that the snorkeling at the wall was good!

PS, Robin- I saw a golf cart... don't know if it was Nathan's, but I seriously doubt that 5 would fit comfortably. It would be doable in the jeep, but tight. The roads are so pot holed, that it was a challenge to stay in the seat of the jeep with a seat belt on! I'm shocked that the cruise lines go here except for the fact that the beach and water are beautiful.

Edited by 5326jan

Jan, Thanks so much for the review of the island and the jeep.....AND for the personal note regarding the golf cart.

I think I have given up on the idea of a golf cart....doesn't sound like a good idea for our family of five :(

Even the Corolla would be tight, but from the sound of the roads, it might be safer than the jeep..ha! But it might be stuck and unable to go where a jeep could go...

sigh. Still can't decide what to do.....

Thanks again.....appreciate your coming back and letting us know!!

robin

Jan, Thanks so much for the review of the island and the jeep.....AND for the personal note regarding the golf cart.

I think I have given up on the idea of a golf cart....doesn't sound like a good idea for our family of five :(

Even the Corolla would be tight, but from the sound of the roads, it might be safer than the jeep..ha! But it might be stuck and unable to go where a jeep could go...

sigh. Still can't decide what to do.....

Thanks again.....appreciate your coming back and letting us know!!

robin

Hi Robin. Dh and I are sitting at the airport on another adventure and I pulled up your reply. We decided that if we were to go to gt again we would rather spend our $95 on a water sport or at a bar than driving around the island. Other than the light house there was NOTHING worth seeing for more than a quick overview of the culture which would take all of 45-60 min to see. At any rate the beach was beautiful.