Topless Tanning Deck Question

We have been enjoying the message boards and all the information from everyone!! This is our first cruise and we have read about the topless tanning deck available on the ships. We will be on the Conquest with children (some teenagers)....our question is ~ How do the cruise lines handle teenagers and accessibility to this deck. We do not want our 13 yo ds and 15 yo dd on this deck.....Of course, they are teenagers and might just want to let their curiosity take over!!!! :rolleyes:

Hoping for some good answers!!!!

Cathi

How do the cruise lines handle teenagers and accessibility to this deck.

I was on the Carnival Triumph in November and heard about these decks and was concerned also. To be honest, I had no clue where the deck was until one day I stumbled upon a staircase leading to another deck by the pool that I hadn't seen before. Right next to the stairs was a sign that read something like "You must be 18 or older". But there was nothing else to stop the kids from going up. I never went up the steps, so I don't know if the crew monitors the activity up there.

On Mercury there is a sign showing that on that specific deck topless bathing is allowed. It was one of the topdecks, a bit separate from the others.

Depending on the itinary and the weather (which on our cruise was great - but nobody there).

I donot think any of the crew are supervising that.

I suggest that you dont tell your kids that the deck is there and they wont even venture on to it. Its a small stairway--out of the way. There will be a sign that states no one under 18 permitted.

What the kids dont know----- If you call attention to it and FORBID access to that area-- thats where they will be the first hour of the first day--Curiosity....

WIll you tell your teens NOT to go into the galley/kitchen --or behind the area where the guys cook the pizza?

On the ships I have been on, its the highest deck, a small deck that usually surrounds the smoke stack, and yes there is a Swinging door with a sign that says adults only. the stair way to it is kinda discreet, u wouldnt know it was there if you wasnt up there, u have to climb up that last set of stairs to run into it.. they did a good job with that.

Good Luck

Wennfred San Diego, Ca.

I've been up there several times with my GF. There was sign and I did see kids venture up but as soon as they saw someone topless, they were out of there with red faces. No big deal, it's not for exibition and not many are even up there. Kids are going to be curious, they can do it at home just as they can on a ship. They will explore every nook and cranny on the ship and find places you didn't know exist. Don't worry about them. Have a great time and let them have fun just as we did when we were their age. ;)

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!! You all are so right....maybe don't even mention the area and don't even worry about it!!!! Knowing my kids, if they found the area, they would look and back off with "really red" faces!!! Oh yea....it's been awhile since I was a teenager....they really are not that bad!!! :)

Cathi

No offense here, but I don't think the kids would be traumatized by the sight of breasts.

I've been traumatized and any man that claims otherwise is probably covering his own tail. That said , I must confess that the trauma did not take place on the topless deck. I've been on 3 cruises, have been to the "TOPLESS DECK" on all 3 and have never, ever, (did I mention?) never seen anyone there. Hey, I paid good money for these trips.

Oh well, maybe next time.:D

Clackey

I have been onto and participated in the "topless" deck on the Carnival Victory. It has white canvas stretched along the railings to prevent gawkers from below, but no lock and chain or anyone guarding it or anything.

Funniest thing was that from the top of the slide platform, the kids were looking directly onto the topless deck, but none of them seemed to notice or care. We were up there a couple of times and usually there were only about a total of 3-5 people that were sunning themselves. Not much to see.

Mrsfuzzmo

It's kind of funny you say kids didn't seem to notice. While on vacation with our boys, there were many topless sunbathers on the beach. My kids never said a word about it. Then one afternoon a man walked by in a Speedo. They both ran over to my husband and I and said "Mommy - Daddy why does that man have his wife's bikini bottom on?"

Archived