Another Menu question

aggietd

Hi,

This is our first Cunard cruise so i hope everyone will forgive our ignorance:)

We have mostly cruised Celebrity and my question is. Can anbody tell me if like Celebrity, Cunard dining room menus carry a list of dishes that are always available as an alternative to the dishes of the evening, for example Celebrity always has grilled steaks and salmon available every evening.

We are sailing on the Queen Victoria in ten weeks, and really looking forward to it.

Thank you for your help.

Nancy

Hi

Thats interesting as we were on Celebrity and I didn't realize there was that option. I have cruised on QMary and QElizabeth and did not see that option there. There again I may have missed it. Sorry not much help here.:confused:

Janice

Hi,

This is our first Cunard cruise so i hope everyone will forgive our ignorance:)

We have mostly cruised Celebrity and my question is. Can anbody tell me if like Celebrity, Cunard dining room menus carry a list of dishes that are always available as an alternative to the dishes of the evening, for example Celebrity always has grilled steaks and salmon available every evening.

We are sailing on the Queen Victoria in ten weeks, and really looking forward to it.

Thank you for your help.

Nancy

Yes you can order off menu in Britannia. Shrimp coctail is available also salmon and steak every night. We found in January the waiter was a bit reluctant to let us take advantage of the options though. He did not refuse however made it clear that it could take a while or he was not sure and would check. The food always came. Not sure if all waiters have the same attitude.

The attitude varies, but the options are there indeed. Not only steak or salmon (fried/broiled/grilled/steamed--your choice) but chicken as well. Another unwritten option is the daily availability of sorbet.

I find that the mere mention of a desire to speak with the headwaiter will bring the reluctant waiter to his/her senses. ;)

We were on QV last Xmas and a few guests on our table asked for simple dishes on a few occasions such as Chicken and Steak and they were always accommodated. I feel they will go out of their way to get you what you want in reason. Enjoy your trip.

Cunard's menu in the britannia dining room is very bleak.It shows maybe four to five entree's max.It does not show alternative choices.You have to ask the maitre de for the next days menu.

For passengers on restricted diets i feel the service is just fair.

long cruiser

Thanks everybody for answering my query,

I am sure that the food will be great, it is just sometimes you dont feel like 'sauced up food' and a nice steak or grilled salmon or chicken goes down a treat. it sounds as if most lines do the same thing, on Celebrity its written on the left hand side of the menu and usually consists of shrimp cocktail, ceasar salad, grilled steak, salmon or chicken and sorbet or ice cream.

Another question, has anybody every ordered two starters instead of a starter and a main course? sometimes I feel that the starters are nicer than the main course and have done this on Celebrity with no problem but I would not want to make a huge fool of my self on board by doing something that is just not done on a Cunard ship?

Thanks again

Nancy

Another question, has anybody every ordered two starters instead of a starter and a main course? sometimes I feel that the starters are nicer than the main course and have done this on Celebrity with no problem but I would not want to make a huge fool of my self on board by doing something that is just not done on a Cunard ship?

Two starters is no problem.

Can I just say how nice it is to see someone think about two starters. Not only does it remind me of my late father (who did just this very frequently due to a pigeon like appetite) but it makes such a nice change from "can I please order fifteen main courses so I can try each one and waste most of them" or "I'm a greedy pig and want to eat two main courses (plus starter) before waddling to the buffet".

I anticipate Mr. Three Breakfasts will now post!

WD

Can I just say how nice it is to see someone think about two starters. Not only does it remind me of my late father (who did just this very frequently due to a pigeon like appetite) but it makes such a nice change from "can I please order fifteen main courses so I can try each one and waste most of them" or "I'm a greedy pig and want to eat two main courses (plus starter) before waddling to the buffet".

I anticipate Mr. Three Breakfasts will now post!

WD

Do you mean little old moi, Nellie?

Three breakfasts is no more of a challenge than two starters. I'm going to shoot for four on the next little trip.

:D:D:D

J

Three breakfasts is no more of a challenge than two starters. I'm going to shoot for four on the next little trip.

:D:D:D

J

Two starters, no main course - not, I wager, your idea of a meal?

Where is the fourth breakfast to be consumed?

WD

Two starters, no main course - not, I wager, your idea of a meal?

Well, had I had my traditional quantity of breafkasts, a decent lunch, and afternoon tea, I expect I could probably squeak by on two starters... padded out with six puddings.

Where is the fourth breakfast to be consumed?

Room service - I haven't tried that yet.

J

Be aware that the not listed on the menu "always available" steak is of very poor quality, more like shoe leather. The always available chicken is just a bland, boneless breast. It is best to find something you can eat on the regular menu.

Be aware that the not listed on the menu "always available" steak is of very poor quality, more like shoe leather. The always available chicken is just a bland, boneless breast. It is best to find something you can eat on the regular menu.

Are you sure, that is not what I remember?

Thanks everybody for answering my query,

I am sure that the food will be great, it is just sometimes you dont feel like 'sauced up food' and a nice steak or grilled salmon or chicken goes down a treat. it sounds as if most lines do the same thing, on Celebrity its written on the left hand side of the menu and usually consists of shrimp cocktail, ceasar salad, grilled steak, salmon or chicken and sorbet or ice cream.

Thanks again

Nancy

I'm sure that 2 starters(or apps)would never be an issue. It's a great way to avoid having ones clothes "shrink" as they always seem to do on cruises.

I can't get enough of the Duck Ravioli (starter) and will often ask to have this as a main-course. The request never raises and eyebrow and is presented extremely well (and generously portioned) as a main instead of a starter. Extra Madeira Glaze? no problem.

Well, had I had my traditional quantity of breafkasts, a decent lunch, and afternoon tea, I expect I could probably squeak by on two starters... padded out with six puddings.
I'll pass on the puddings,(whatever they may be) but two servings of Escargots a la Bourguignonne is an excellent way to start the feasting.

I have backed off most of the double entrees and still gained 10 pounds!!:mad:

Room service - I haven't tried that yet.

J

Room service every morning on our recent cruise as there's nothing like sitting out on the balcony with coffee and Bailey's or after Jamaica, Rum Cream, and perhaps a light chocolate croissant to jump start the day. Or at least get you in shape for the Main Dining Room.:D

Interesting about the cruiselines as to room service, some call to say they'll be there in 5 minutes, others just show up and knock. Either way a couple of bucks tip and there you have it. Hint, order double coffee as there's not enough in an order for 2 people.

Archived