No more lounge chairs on balcony??

This is our second cruise this year in an oversized balcony and we can't get a lounge chair from RCL anymore....

WHY?????

First response was it's a fire hazard...ummmm, the chairs that are with the table are made with the same material...bad excuse!!!

Ridiculous!! I can't personally believe that when you have JS or an aft balcony with a LARGE balcony that you can't have a lounge chair...

I'll be coming up with another answer...guess it's one more item to travel with!! There are lounge chairs out there that are smaller and collapsible...

Wonder what RCL will think when everyone starts bringing their own!! LOL

We were told it's a new rule this year from RCL...

Anyone else with the same experience/???

We're on Allure now.....and NO lounge even in the JS with a HUGE balcony...

jul

This is our second cruise this year in an oversized balcony and we can't get a lounge chair from RCL anymore....

WHY?????

First response was it's a fire hazard...ummmm, the chairs that are with the table are made with the same material...bad excuse!!!

Ridiculous!! I can't personally believe that when you have JS or an aft balcony with a LARGE balcony that you can't have a lounge chair...

I'll be coming up with another answer...guess it's one more item to travel with!! There are lounge chairs out there that are smaller and collapsible...

Wonder what RCL will think when everyone starts bringing their own!! LOL

We were told it's a new rule this year from RCL...

Anyone else with the same experience/???

We're on Allure now.....and NO lounge even in the JS with a HUGE balcony...

jul

I just knew those mega ships were no good - Radiance had loungers! :eek:

This bums me out...why pay for a D1 (same teeny room, but bigger balcony) if I can't get a lounger...may switch and save some coin! Or send DH on a clandestine mission to the pool deck:rolleyes:

Just got back from FOS, and son & his family had D1 and were able to get a lounge. They just asked room steward.

We just got back from a B2B on The Voyager of the Seas this Sunday, March 13, 2011, and we had a Jr. Suite with an over-size balcony. We asked the Head of House Keeping if we could get an extra lounger and the next day when we returned to our cabin from lunch we found a nice blue lounger from the pool deck. I guess it all depends on who you ask.

We just got back 2/27/11 and could not get a lounge chair. We had corner aft, big balcony. Room steward could not get one, head housekeeper would not allow. Had to talk to two more higher ups before I could get an extra chair, not a lounge. We had 3 people in our room. They said they changed their policy 2 months ago because of fire regulations. I was not happy.

We had this problem several years ago with our corner aft on Radiance. Same thing--tried everyone and were told first that it was a new company decision to keep lounge chairs off all balconies, and then that it was the captain's. However, we met the people in the GS on the corner aft and they assured us that they had loungers. Also, we heard later that the same company/captain allowed them on the subsequent voyages through the Panama Canal and in Alaska. The only explanation that almost made sense was that they'd been banned during the Spring break cruises because kids had been tossing them overboard.

I had the same idea about the collapsible ones--in fact, we looked in every port but couldn't find one.

This bums me out...why pay for a D1 (same teeny room, but bigger balcony) if I can't get a lounger...may switch and save some coin! Or send DH on a clandestine mission to the pool deck:rolleyes:

Why accept what one poster has said as applying to everyone, every ship etc. Our recent sailings on Navigator, Jewel and Liberty had loungers on the larger balconies. Our verandah on Liberty's Royal Family Suite had two large cushioned loungers as well as a good sized table with four large chairs where four people could comfortably sit and eat, play cards or do whatever.

When we did an inaugural cruise on Mariner of the Seas in an aft cabin with a humongous balcony, there were no loungers on the balcony. A request to the room steward was met with a flat 'No'. The next day the concierge asked how we were enjoying the cruise. When my wife said that everything was wonderful but that she wished we had lounge chairs on our balcony, the concierge said "No problem, just ask your room steward." My wife responded "I did and he said No". The look on the concierge's face was fabulous as she repeated "He said No?". Half an hour later the room steward knocked on the door with two lounge chairs.

To be fair it was the inaugural and the room steward might have been new and unaware of what could be done when a guest made a request,but just because one person says something isn't possible doesn't necessarily mean that is company policy.

Before panicking, read some more posts from people who can attest to the fact that lounge chairs have not been removed or banned from balconies.:)

Didn't she say she did that and that's when she got all the excuses?

Yikes. Nowhere in the original post did s/he mention the cabin attendant by name/description. How do we know who s/he talked with?

That may be exactly where the problem was - the room steward. Going above his head might have produced the desired result.:)

Thank you. :p

I was on Vision in December in an aft corner JS and we had 2 loungers. Was also on Serenade in Jan. in an aft JS suite. There weren't any loungers when we got on. I just asked the steward if we could get a couple. He said no problem. He went up to the pool deck and brought them right down.

I have never heard of not getting an extra chair/chaise lounge chair if asked of your room attendant nicely.

If that did not work....I have no problems with snagging one from the deck after my early morning coffee walk...if it came to that...which it has not come to that so far. ;)

But I would do it if needed.

Bump...crash..clank...ooopss...clank..bump..thump...all the way down to the aft at 6 am!!

:eek: ;) ;)

Logic tells me that IF it's a fire regulation, that it would apply to all cruise lines who dock in a US port, not just RCI. Has anybody heard if anyone else is doing this? :confused:

Yep, had a JS on Carnival Spirit and got the same excuse of fire hazard when asking for a lounger. Got a different excuse when I said smaller chairs were made of same material.They then said wind could blow loungers off...,hmmm,...but not the smaller chairs :confused: Finally gave up. Maybe they think that someone could fall asleep with smoking materials on a lounger where as not sitting upright in a regular chair. I can see that rationale, I guess.

Archived