Wishful Thinking Maybe But:

Could we be the lucky recipients of the current Royal Princess when Princess' new Royal Princess is launched in 2013.......please please please begging begging begging:D:D:D the current Royal is a gorgeous small ship i am sure she would be well loved here in the Australia/New Zealand region......cheers Shiona

Hi Sludger, I think the ship Shiona is referring to is Royal Princess - 30,277GRT (ex R Eight, Minerva).

She was built for the now defunct Rennaisance Cruises in 2001, so is probably way too old to interest you.

Shame though, as she is a beautiful smaller ship and a sister ship to Pacific Princess (1999) and Ocean Princess (1999).

Jenny

Hi Sludger, I think the ship Shiona is referring to is Royal Princess - 30,277GRT (ex R Eight, Minerva).

She was built for the now defunct Rennaisance Cruises in 2001, so is probably way too old to interest you.

Shame though, as she is a beautiful smaller ship and a sister ship to Pacific Princess (1999) and Ocean Princess (1999).

Jenny

Thanks Jenny she sure is the ship i'm talking about.... i believe there is a market here in Aus/NZ for adult only small ship cruising ...all due respect to parents with kids and i have been one....it would be lovely to have the choice of cruising with no children onboard just as it would be for parents of children not to have people who resent their presence on their family holidays....did that make sense......guess we will just have to await till they announce with partner line is going to get her.....cheers Shiona

The present or now old Royal Princess has been transferred to P&O UK.

She will or has become the new Adonia, and will sail exotic cruises and much higher prices.

NB: P & O Cruises have announced that from end of November 2011, Adonia will will sail as an Adult Only Ship.

Adonia will be the smallest of the seven ships within our fleet. Designed to offer a wonderfully intimate cruising experience, she will radiate small ship charm. Stepping on board will be akin to returning home; there will be a comfortingly familiar feel to your surroundings with experienced P&O Cruises officers and crew on hand to look after your every need. Due to her small numbers – she carries just 710 passengers – Adonia will be incredibly sociable and within no time at all, you’ll be surrounded by friendly, familiar faces. Exclusively for adults, Adonia will travel far and wide, exploring ports the larger ships of today are unable to visit.

With wood-style panelling, a grand staircase and traditional artworks, her ambience and décor will be in keeping with the traditions of cruising. Yet being a 21st century ship, (she was built in 2001) there’ll be modernity to her detailing, all of which will be beautifully crafted. Her Crow’s Nest will offer far reaching views by day and live music by night, and Anderson’s bar will feel reassuringly British. In her grand lounge, the dance floor will play host to an elegant waltz or cha-cha-cha and its stage will present a wide range of evening entertainment. There will be a card room with panoramic ocean views, ample sunbathing space and restaurants which range from six-course silver service to al fresco grill fare. And of course being smaller, everything is only just a short walk away.

P&O Cruises Adonia started life as R8 for the defunct Renaissance Line before transferring to Swan Hellenic as Minerva II. When Swan Hellenic was closed down, she is now alive again under different owners; Minerva II was placed in the hands of Princess Cruises and operated as Royal Princess. In 2011 she will be handed over to P&O Cruises as Adonia.

Thanks Jenny she sure is the ship i'm talking about.... i believe there is a market here in Aus/NZ for adult only small ship cruising ...all due respect to parents with kids and i have been one....it would be lovely to have the choice of cruising with no children onboard just as it would be for parents of children not to have people who resent their presence on their family holidays....did that make sense......guess we will just have to await till they announce with partner line is going to get here.....cheers Shiona

Yes it would be nice to have the choice of adult only cruises. I'm a grandmother and never object to well-brought up children, however there were a couple of unsupervised little brats (sorry, but that is what they were) on our last trip who got their fun from pressing all the lift buttons. Consequently, at times there were delays and breakdowns and a lot of infirm people of all ages had to wait longer than they should have. I felt so sorry for them - it's so unnecessary.

Could we be the lucky recipients of the current Royal Princess when Princess' new Royal Princess is launched in 2013.......please please please begging begging begging:D:D:D the current Royal is a gorgeous small ship i am sure she would be well loved here in the Australia/New Zealand region......cheers Shiona

Just adding to your thoughts Shionia,

those gorgeous small ships would have been ideal for Australia,

small enough to get into all our ports, and small enough not to swamp local ports with thousands of day trippers.

We did have Pacific Princess here for a season, and she was perfect.

My only regret is that I could not do one her Round Australia cruises.

Unfortunately those ships have now moved up into the small luxury market.

We had 50 nights on Pacific and Tahitian Princess, and I look back on those cruises as the best we have ever done.

They were so friendly, uncluttered and uncrowded.

Our family enjoyed a Pacific Princess cruise when she was out here too...lovely elegant little ship. I am leaning to liking them small or big...based on our Dawn Princess cruise I was not so keen on the "middle" size...but then maybe it was because it was so long. The Volendam was a nice size but lacked all the choices that you get with a large ship like the Diamond...oh lets just face it...I love them all.:D

I think Pacific Princess was our favourite.

Beautiful small ship, about 700 passengers on board but always plenty of space to sit and relax and none of that relentless thumping "music".

I think she now does continuous round the world cruising.

Love to see her back here.:)

I can't imagine the sterility of an 'adults only cruise.' There have been old folks who I could generalise about their poor behaviour, as well as those in their 20s and 30s, but there have been wonderful children and elderly as well. To try to shut all out because of a few bad apples which is just humanity doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I find a better selected cruise can achieve the same results, without the need to discriminate against others.

I can see both sides, we cruised on the Pacific sun in the school holidays with our two kids.

There were 500 plus kids on the cruise it was horrendous.

The ship was only built for 1500 people originally. P&O generally pack them in and it was carrying over 2000 pax (the ship is 49000 tons!) you can do the maths!

I can see a day when my wife and I might be interested in an adult only cruise but not until I am in the waiting room for the wooden overcoat.

If the pax to deck area is correct is doesn't matter how many kids there are you can always avoid them if you want. (we manage to avoid our 2 most of the time)

Paul

I can't imagine the sterility of an 'adults only cruise.' There have been old folks who I could generalise about their poor behaviour, as well as those in their 20s and 30s, but there have been wonderful children and elderly as well. To try to shut all out because of a few bad apples which is just humanity doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I find a better selected cruise can achieve the same results, without the need to discriminate against others.

There was no discrimination intended by me. (I would say that I brought my children up to respect others and have consideration for others' feelings, -as I was brought up - plus plenty of smacks, by the way :( - but that sounds toooooooo sanctimonious, hehehe, so I won't!). As you say, there is rudeness and disrespect in ALL age groups, but playing around in lifts is dangerous and causes damage, to everyone's detriment.

There were many disabled people on this 14 day cruise - one poor lady was on oxygen and her husband had to help her drag a bottle of oxygen around with her all the time. (Maybe it was the last cruise she would ever take.) They all should have had the right to be able to get around with relative ease. Just as every child has the right to be loved, protected from danger, and taught right from wrong.

All of this doesn't alter the fact that some of us, dearly as we love the children in our lives, sometimes feel the need for a child-free holiday. LOL, our 3 young grandkids, quite well-behaved, but NOISY, had just spent SIX weeks with us over Christmas AND it rained nearly every day :eek:. Believe me, we were sorely in need of some rest and relaxation. :D. Fortunately, we did get it most of the time. :)

I can see both sides, we cruised on the Pacific sun in the school holidays with our two kids.

There were 500 plus kids on the cruise it was horrendous.

The ship was only built for 1500 people originally. P&O generally pack them in and it was carrying over 2000 pax (the ship is 49000 tons!) you can do the maths!

I can see a day when my wife and I might be interested in an adult only cruise but not until I am in the waiting room for the wooden overcoat.

If the pax to deck area is correct is doesn't matter how many kids there are you can always avoid them if you want. (we manage to avoid our 2 most of the time)

Paul

I'm pleased to say the Pacific Dawn was never crowded. Although it was not school holidays there were 96 children (even of high school age) on the ship.

The only problem kids were the afore-mentioned couple who got their kicks from stuffing up the lifts. :rolleyes:

we manage to avoid our 2 most of the time

Paul

:D:D:D:D

I have a new idea lets market the ship not as adults only but one without

"Kids Club" ooooops is that discriminatory as well... can't win in these times....

I really think that for some people a caravan holiday might be the way to go.

Paul

I agree some people do realy sort a caravan, but then again we may put other drivers at risk.:D

if we did not have children none of us would be here say any thing.

so what do all you people that do not want children on cruise ship have to say. do we have them and put them in a box till they are an adult or do we just have children and love them and shop them right from wrong the best way we can and take them on cruises and show them how to acted and have respect for others that they are cruiseing with, or do we just throw them over the side like some people her have implied.

Love thied.

I agree some people do realy sort a caravan, but then again we may put other drivers at risk.:D

You have a point my old mate, I actually have a caravan which we use occasionally and I wouldn't like to meet one of the lunatics coming the other way!

Paul

Thied, as usual, you misunderstand! I don't think any of us have anything against children per se, it's the brat children (and they are usually the result of bad parenting) who are allowed to 'run wild' that cause the problem.

For example, the lift problem and, another example ..... I was in the Dome reading on the last day when the overflow from the show lounge Bingo was there. One little darling called 'Bingo' for fun. The parent had to go up on stage and do the Chicken dance - as the caller said parents should take responsibility for the kids.

Actually this would have been funny to watch........The caller said that on a cruise last October a small child kept saying 'Bingo' repeatedly. He got fed up with this and asked who were the parents. No-one admitted to owning the child, so he asked the child to go to his Dad...which he did. Poetic justice, haha.

I was in the Dome reading on the last day when the overflow from the show lounge Bingo was there. One little darling called 'Bingo' for fun.

That's just kids being kids, playing a game of surprise. The child wasn't being rude, or trying to aggravate anyone from what you've written. Nothing wrong with that. It's like complaining about elderly people in walkers holding up the ramps. Both can be annoying to others, but both are often part of those stages of life.

Archived