Shipboard Account Madness

slipslopslap

We are soon to leave from Australia to join Millennium for 11 nights cruising the Caribbean we will be staying over in Los Angeles and San Juan on our way. With the recent tragedies in Japan the money markets are very uncertain at present, which effects our exchange rates as travellers. The $AUD has already dropped against the $USD and is expected to keep falling. We have been advised to get a travel card from our bank, instead of using the Visa Credit Card. The travel Card is a Visa with my name printed on it, but instead of credit, it debits the money from the card account, in the currency you have put on it, in this case $USD (the exchange rate is at the time you deposit the cash and buy the card). Perfect we thought, this gives us security with no horrid surprises at the end of the cruise when the exchange rates may be much lower, as the travel card account contains American dollars.

Problem - The Celebrity office in Sydney are telling me that Celebrity will not accept this travel card against our Shipboard Account which seems to me like sheer madness as the card is a Visa Debit. :confused:

Does anyone have any info on this or had a similar problem?

Sorry, I know nothing about Australian travel cards, but your message reminded me that in the past some people said they set up their shipboard account with one kind of card, and then paid it off at the end of the cruise in cash or using a different card.

If Celebrity is flexible about letting passengers switch payment method at the end of the cruise, that seems like it would be the ideal way to go. You could keep your options open and wait until the end of your cruise to see which payment method would be most favorable at that time.

Best wishes for a safe trip and wonderful cruise. Hope they appreciate that you are coming such a long way for your cruise and treat you very well.

Sorry, I know nothing about Australian travel cards, but your message reminded me that in the past some people said they set up their shipboard account with one kind of card, and then paid it off at the end of the cruise in cash or using a different card.

If Celebrity is flexible about letting passengers switch payment method at the end of the cruise, that seems like it would be the ideal way to go. You could keep your options open and wait until the end of your cruise to see which payment method would be most favorable at that time.

Best wishes for a safe trip and wonderful cruise. Hope they appreciate that you are coming such a long way for your cruise and treat you very

well.

Thanks for the reply and kind words:)

While travel with a lot of cash isn't usually a good idea, in this case I would carry as much as you are comfortable with and use it to settle at least part of the account. You might also investigate the potential fees that using the on-board ATM (automatic teller machine) would incur if you were to use it to get cash. Also, check with your bank to see if you can buy US dollar traveler's checks. You might not have enough time for this, however.

I though the value of the $CAD might drop because of the situation in Japan since the Cdn. economy is heavily based on raw materials and the resource sector so I went in early Monday and bought $US traveler's checks for the cruise we will be on in just over a week. IMO the downunder economy is similar based.

X and all other cruiselines we've been on, cash TC without any service fees as long as no currency exchange is needed. Yesterday our $ did drop 1 1/2 cents against the $US. I am able to get TC without a service fee so basically I get them at the exchange rate set by the financial institution that issued the TC.

I've not had any experience using a debit card onboard a ship but I've read here on CC that the problem with using these is that the cruiseline will authorize a certain amount and if the final charge is different then the authorized amount does come off immediately. When that happens the limited funds in the account or on the debit card are tied up or on hold until the authorized amount clears.

This is a debit card thing. One runs into the same problem if he tries to use a debit card to reserve a car rental.

The problem is essentially that the contents of the account limit what could be taken from the underlying account - something that is variable and unknown to the cruise line / rental car company, whatever. However, a credit card usually has a known limit against which the cruise line, etc can place a hold in advance. There is no question of them waiting to see if they will get paid at the end of the cruise.

Art

This is not solely an X problem, hotels will be the same. Fortunately the fix is simple. Give X you CC so that they can hold funds against your account and then settle your ship board account with the pre-paid card – everyone is happy.

:)

I would give Celebrity a credit card number and then settle with Travelers checks so you don't incure international fees on your credit card use.

Buy the travelers check in American dollars, they are safe and replaceable if stolen, no fee to cash and most places in the Caribbean take them.

See ya soon.

Tina

This is not solely an X problem, hotels will be the same. Fortunately the fix is simple. Give X you CC so that they can hold funds against your account and then settle your ship board account with the pre-paid card – everyone is happy.

:)

I thought we would do this but was wondering whether Celebrity would in fact honour my request. A couple of years ago when on Mercury we specifically made a point of going and asking............would they please be sure to charge our credit card in American Dollars for our account and not do the exchange on board............Low and behold when we got home and checked with our bank it had cost us many more dollars, contrary to our request, Celebrity had fact done the exchange before charging our credit card and we were well over two hundred down on the deal.:mad:

You can request that your credit card company do the exchange, then pay on your account on board, with American Express travellers cheques. This is what we were advised to do by Celebrity, and our TA. Apparently, Celebrity exchange is at a much higher rate.

See you SOON!!

Just a thought. Go to the gifts area of the Celebrity website and have a look at what the AUD charge is for onboard credits. The figure they quote is for $25 of onboard credit. If the rate is favourable you could always purchase some for your trip. I've just done that for my cruise next week as the rate against the GBP is pretty good. It also enabled me to earn miles on a card that I wouldn't normally use for foreign travel because of the high loading charges. A nice credit balance when I arrive too.

Phil

Just a thought. Go to the gifts area of the Celebrity website and have a look at what the AUD charge is for onboard credits. The figure they quote is for $25 of onboard credit. If the rate is favourable you could always purchase some for your trip. I've just done that for my cruise next week as the rate against the GBP is pretty good. It also enabled me to earn miles on a card that I wouldn't normally use for foreign travel because of the high loading charges. A nice credit balance when I arrive too.

Phil

That is what we did for our cruise in July. Currently they are offering dollar for dollar, which is great. I bought mine a few weeks ago and didn't quite get that but am happy anyway

Phil

Great idea, never thought of that.;)

I thought we would do this but was wondering whether Celebrity would in fact honour my request. A couple of years ago when on Mercury we specifically made a point of going and asking............would they please be sure to charge our credit card in American Dollars for our account and not do the exchange on board............Low and behold when we got home and checked with our bank it had cost us many more dollars, contrary to our request, Celebrity had fact done the exchange before charging our credit card and we were well over two hundred down on the deal.:mad:

When you check in on-line you should find the following wording. If you select option B Celebrity will not do the conversion. The problem seems to arise when neither A or B is selected as the company seems to interpret this as a request to do the conversion for you.

For Non-US Issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders.

If you use a MasterCard or Visa Card issued outside of the United States and one which is billed to any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK EUR. GHP, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your account and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account. If you opt out of using our conversion agent, the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. Choice of currency is final.

Currency Convention Authorization(Please check one of the following options.)

A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I.e.: I choose to use Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program. (See terms below.)

This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation.

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises currency program. (See information below.)

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Print Your Name

Signature

When you check in on-line you should find the following wording. If you select option B Celebrity will not do the conversion. The problem seems to arise when neither A or B is selected as the company seems to interpret this as a request to do the conversion for you.

For Non-US Issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders.

If you use a MasterCard or Visa Card issued outside of the United States and one which is billed to any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK EUR. GHP, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your account and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account. If you opt out of using our conversion agent, the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. Choice of currency is final.

Currency Convention Authorization(Please check one of the following options.)

A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I.e.: I choose to use Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program. (See terms below.)

This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation.

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises currency program. (See information below.)

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Print Your Name

Signature

I would go for Option B and let Visa/MC/Bank do the conversion and pay the Bank fees.

In my experience, the Merchant's (X in this case) exchange rates are never competitive, even allowing for the Bank's Foreign Transaction fees (FTF), which can be up to 3%.

The Visa/MC/Bank exchange rates are always competitive, the key is what the Bank charges as FTF. There are CCs that charge up to 3%, and CCs that charge 0%. Use a CC that does not charge FTF.

Hope this helps.

I'd qualify that and say they should not do the conversion, but in spite of me marking the form correctly option B they have still done the Celebrity conversion. Twice it has happened to me. Others have reported the same here on Cruise Critic. I now resort to highlighting and mentioning it at check in.

Phil

I'd qualify that and say they should not do the conversion, but in spite of me marking the form correctly option B they have still done the Celebrity conversion. Twice it has happened to me. Others have reported the same here on Cruise Critic. I now resort to highlighting and mentioning it at check in.

Phil

Point taken. Maybe I have just been lucky and not experienced the problem myself.

Phil

I had this happen where I've specified option B doing the online check in and still had my account bill converted at the cruiseline's higher conversion fee. Using my CC doesn't cost me other than the difference in exchange. I now always ask that option B is recorded at the embarkation check in and haven't a problem since starting to do that.

IMO unless option B is again specified at embarkation, many time this seems to revert to option A. Most time the check in agent at US ports don't go over that aspect for non-US card holders as it not necessary to do so for US based CC holders and they are use to simply asking for the CC.

Point taken. Maybe I have just been lucky and not experienced the problem myself.

I thought I'd just been unlucky until I started a thread about it and found it was a problem that had happened to quite a number of others. Now I'm on my guard. It makes £50 or so difference on my typical spend and that's three or four martinis!;)

Phil

I thought I'd just been unlucky until I started a thread about it and found it was a problem that had happened to quite a number of others. Now I'm on my guard. It makes £50 or so difference on my typical spend and that's three or four martinis!;)

Phil

Those are awfully expensives martinis unless you mean each for two.:D

Archived