Royal Caribbean announces yet another ship for down under

I believe Brisbane's Portside terminal is relatively new - why would the Premier want to waste money to build a new terimal for the occasional visit, even on a regular basis, of a monstrosity such as the Celebrity Solstice. I believe that a new terminal is under way at Townsville and expect that the Gold Coast will be next on the agenda, probably before next year.

Because the cruise ship is large, it dosen't have to look like a Surfer's highrise toppled over, or a sheep trader. I welcome the extra competition, it will help stabilize prices and probably give us a few more options.

I believe Brisbane's Portside terminal is relatively new - why would the Premier want to waste money to build a new terimal for the occasional visit, even on a regular basis, of a monstrosity such as the Celebrity Solstice. I believe that a new terminal is under way at Townsville and expect that the Gold Coast will be next on the agenda, probably before next year.

Because the cruise ship is large, it dosen't have to look like a Surfer's highrise toppled over, or a sheep trader. I welcome the extra competition, it will help stabilize prices and probably give us a few more options.

They have stated the there will not be a terminal on the Gold Coast, there was such an outcry when they did try to get one. The gold coast missed out big time by not allowing that terminal.:(

I believe Brisbane's Portside terminal is relatively new -

Unfortunately it was built on the wrong side of the Gateway Bridge....

and guess what....

Sydney is about to make the same mistake.

Ships will only get bigger and bigger.

They have stated the there will not be a terminal on the Gold Coast, there was such an outcry when they did try to get one. The gold coast missed out big time by not allowing that terminal.:(

I also think that with the size of ships these days, dredging out a channel and trying to keep it clear would be quite prohibitive these days.

Royal Caribbean md Australia Gavin Smith has just announced that Celebrity Solstice will be based in Australia for the 2012/13 summer season.

The additional deployment is the first time the ship has operated in the southern hemisphere, with the 122,000 tonne vessel the largest vessel to ever be based in Australia.

It's also the youngest, with Solstice launching just three years ago with a range of innovative features such as the exclusive Aqua suites and the top deck Lawn Club which includes an acre of real grass.

Smith said the ship would mainly operate a series of 12-13 trans-Tasman itineraries, but the program would also include a circumnavigation of Australia.

He emphasised that this would not be a one-off Australian deployment for Solstice, saying "she will be bringing travellers and cruisers from around the world over the hot Australian summer months for many years ahead".

Full details of itineraries and fares will be released towards the end of the month, Smith said.

Source Cruise Weekly.

I don't think Carnival will be happy about this, lets hope they base a ship here all year round.

Hi,

Carnival spirit is going to permanently sailing from Australia from Oct 2012.

Col

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,Carnival spirit is going to permanently sailing from Australia from Oct 2012.Col

Is Carnival Spirit going to be permanent?

I thought it was just doing a season here.

If it is permanent thats great news.Will sure give P&O a run for their money.

David isnt Carnival Spirit going to be cruising for p&o

Hi David,

Yep Carnival Spirit is to be permanently based here and fitted out for Australian style cruising with Aussie local beers and onboard spending in AUD.It will be billed as Carnival the funship...which will soon be Carnival Australia.I think Carnival ship shall replace older P&O ships as they are sold or redeployed with

Col:)

The problem with Portside terminal is that the river in that vicinity is not wide enough for large cruiseships to turn around to go back out - even IF they could get under the Gateway Bridge. And even for Pacific Dawn there is a Harbourmaster imposed limit of max 15 knots of wind to turn around there.

Barry

The problem with Portside terminal is that the river in that vicinity is not wide enough for large cruiseships to turn around to go back out - even IF they could get under the Gateway Bridge. And even for Pacific Dawn there is a Harbourmaster imposed limit of max 15 knots of wind to turn around there.

Barry

I have always wondered why they don't build a cruise terminal at Pinkenba as there is a railway line still there and it is the right side of the bridge. (My father arrived by ship at Pinkenba when he emigrated as a small child.) I think the Water Police or similar have a base there now. I tried to get Google Maps up but it is presently as slow as a turtle stampeding through peanut butter! :mad:)

Oh Hahahahah! :D:D:D I always knew you couldn't rely on Wikipedia being correct but look what I just found.........

Pinkenba Wharf

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pinkenba Wharf is an Australian wharf, located within the Port of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The larger ocean going cruise liners that visit the port currently dock at the Pinkenba Wharf,(hehehe) located on the north side of the Brisbane River, north of the Gateway Bridge, due to height restrictions placed by the bridge.

Until the establishment of the new Portside Wharf at Hamilton, Australian cruise ship company P&O Cruises used the Pinkenba wharf as a base for its cruise ships, "Pacific Sky" and "Pacific Star". The Brisbane dock is not particularly glamorous, and is mainly used by industrial vessels.

Correspondingly the Queensland Government is under pressure to create a new second international cruise terminal for Brisbane on the northern side of the Gateway Bridge to accommodate the larger ocean going cruise liners. A February 2008 visit by the luxury cruise liner the MS Queen Victoria meant that passengers could not use the international standard cruise terminal facilities at Portside Wharf and had to use the industrial wharf complex at Pinkenba instead.

Didn't check their facts there, did they? :eek:

I have always wondered why they don't build a cruise terminal at Pinkenba as there is a railway line still there and it is the right side of the bridge. (My father arrived by ship at Pinkenba when he emigrated as a small child.) I think the Water Police or similar have a base there now. I tried to get Google Maps up but it is presently as slow as a turtle stampeding through peanut butter! :mad:)

I think it would be a great spot....

Its handy to the airport, and on the side of the river where all the action is.

I well remember boarding Pacific Sky there. P&O had a big tent set up for boarding and the thing I remember most was the squishy floor of all things.

It was way out in the sticks then, and the guards patrolled the fence line like a prison camp. They only let one taxi in at a time even though there was a long line waiting and dozens of cabs lined up at the gate.:eek:

I think it would be a great spot....

Its handy to the airport, and on the side of the river where all the action is.

I well remember boarding Pacific Sky there. P&O had a big tent set up for boarding and the thing I remember most was the squishy floor of all things.

It was way out in the sticks then, and the guards patrolled the fence line like a prison camp. They only let one taxi in at a time even though there was a long line waiting and dozens of cabs lined up at the gate.:eek:

OMG - I much prefer the way they board now, then. :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything (anything??) that you read on Wikipedia :p

In 2008, Queen Victoria berthed at the Grain Wharf at Fishermen's Island (which isn't an island anymore!!:D) - not at Pinkenba. I know - because my wife and I stood on the banks of the northern side of the river, VERY close to the sewage works, to see her berth :D) The Grain Wharf - which now has a "multi-function" purpose is on the south side of the river. Pinkenba is on the north side.

This is a VERY busy and important part of the Port of Brisbane - far too busy and important to worry too much about transient Cruiseship arrivals. Portside serves the current primary cruiseship traffic very well - this traffic being the commitment of P&O for regular turnarounds.

Barry

Don't believe everything (anything??) that you read on Wikipedia :p

In 2008, Queen Victoria berthed at the Grain Wharf at Fishermen's Island (which isn't an island anymore!!:D) - not at Pinkenba. I know - because my wife and I stood on the banks of the northern side of the river, VERY close to the sewage works, to see her berth :D) The Grain Wharf - which now has a "multi-function" purpose is on the south side of the river. Pinkenba is on the north side.

Barry

I know you don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia (after all, anyone can add or remove information) - that's why I posted the above quote. I was gobsmacked at the discrepancies. Who could forget the hoo-ha when the Queen Victoria berthed at the grain wharf at Fisherman Islands.

I do a lot of historical research and really have to 'sort the wheat from the chaff' if I have to resort to using any information from Wikipedia. Double-checking and more is necessary. :rolleyes:

Archived