NYC Disembarkation

barb-ottawa

We are sailing the Jewel from NYC on April 10-17 and will be hiring a car service to take us to Newark airport on our return for a 1 pm flight. Need suggestions as to what time I would request the car to pick us up. Have sailed NCL from Miami and am familiar with disembarkation process for Canadians, but not New York. I'm thinking 9-9:30. Thoughts?

@Barb-ottawa

2005 walked off the Jewel 10:38

2008 walked off the Gem 08:20, through Immigration/Customs by 08:35

2009 walked off the Gem 08:35, cab to Penn Station, arr 08:55

All three were trans-Atlantic repos, and we carried (shlepped) all our bags.

(Can't help it. Travel with iPod touch, easy to keep a log.)

We did the Gem out of New York. Depending on your arrival time you are usually safe to book about 2 hours after docking. Make sure you have your drivers cell phone number in case you need to reach him. We had trouble finding our driver on arrival. We were scheduled to disembark at 10 I asked him to come for 10.30 and we were off the ship and through customs by 10:10 and had to wait. We were in a suite and had priority disembarkation. Many do a walk off and take their own bags off. Enjoy your cruise. New York is a great port for us Canadians to sail out of.

We are sailing the Jewel from NYC on April 10-17 and will be hiring a car service to take us to Newark airport on our return for a 1 pm flight. Need suggestions as to what time I would request the car to pick us up. Have sailed NCL from Miami and am familiar with disembarkation process for Canadians, but not New York. I'm thinking 9-9:30. Thoughts?

Maybe I'm missing something but you need to be at the airport two hours early for an international flight. Depending upon traffic, the trip there is easily an hour.

I think 9:30 would be a good time.

We were on the Jewel in November, chose to take our luggage off to "speed things up," were stationed by the Java Cafe at 7 with our bags, they started disembarkment at 8, and we were through customs no sooner than 10:30. What a nightmare! We were on a line that weaved around the deck. At one point, we were on an outside deck, for 1/2 hour. Everyone was "joking" that we knew what it must've been like for the steerage passengers on the Titanic.

We called our car service from the ship, and told them to come back for us later. You will get through customs faster than those of us from the US (took us about 45 minutes once we were off the ship). Sometimes they don't have enough lines open, and customs prefers the back-up to be on the ship, and not on land.

Archived