Hostility Towards Negative Reviews

Why?????

I think a review should list both good and bad, it can focus on one more than the other but as long as it covers both, I consider it a good review.

BUT

If it has nothing but glowing admiration of the cruise and lists no cons, I feel the review is incomplete. Same goes for one with nothing but negativity. To me both types are incomplete and biased but appreciated nonetheless.

So what if a persons first and only post is a negative review. Many searches about cruise questions lead on to this site and many will assume its a place to get a good review. Good reviews are critical in nature (of course how good depends on balance and tact.

Most people are not professional critics and shouldn't be expected to create well read and balanced reviews. Hell the pros dont balance stuff out. Look at movie reviews.

When I look into doing things I look at all the reviews I can, especially the negative ones. Not to discourage me, just so I know what the possibilities are. I know most who are happy with things never leave a review for anything, its mostly the pissed off folks at times. I know for every one bad review of almost anything, there are 10 times more happy folks who just went on their way.

So for those here who get angry or mildly hostile when a negative review is posted. Why? Why take it personally? If its because of brand loyalty I can sort of understand the emotion behind it, just not the action. If you like the brand to the point of emotion, why not be an ambassador to it?

Instead of calling them a troll and such,why not empathize and reassure? If they come back, your pet brand does well, they succeed and you get to enjoy your favorite brand longer.

Running them off and calling them trolls will ensure they never return. Even if they say they are done with said brand, they may turn around, YOU may turn them around. But you sure wont by being a course jerk to them.

So what if they only post one. To some folks, me included, they find places like this, drop a review and move on. You may never hear from them again. So what? It does not mean they are being a troll and have malicious intent. They might just be leaving a review and thats it.

Anyway. I just don't see why being hostile is so popular with some. You guys who are the most passionate have the most power to sway them and keep your brand in business with repeat sales.

Use your passion to help rather then to hinder.

I have found that if the review is negative, the more you read, the more you find that that person wouldn't be satisfied no matter what. A balanced review gives more credability to the poster.

People get called trolls here because they come on, post a negative review, then we never hear from them again. It's amazing how they never find this board before their cruise to learn what it's all about, but somehow always seem to find it after to vent that they didn't get what they expected.

I agree. I am SOOOO excited for my first carnival cruise. By reading ALL reviews, I feel like I am getting a good feel for what it might be like, good, bad and ugly. That way, I am not disappointed. I also agree that GLOWING everything is perfect and HORRID, I almost died reviews are useless, over-exaggerated, and I don't think another thing about them.

The only reviews or "comments" that bug me were ones about calling 14 year old girls sluts because of the way they were dressed and some people who got on a guy cause he let his 10 year old walk alone. Both miss the point of these boards and are lame.

Just my two cents! 30 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree MOSTLY, but the reason that sometimes us Cruise Critiquers unite and attack negative reviewers is because the "negatives" are ridiculous and/or were their fault, not Carnival's. Those types of reviews don't help anyone.

But let's remember, the general population of Carnivalville in the United States of Cruise Critic (;)) are die-hard Carnival cheerleaders.:)

I agree MOSTLY, but the reason that sometimes us Cruise Critiques unite and attack negative reviewers is because the "negatives" are ridiculous and/or were their fault, not Carnival's. Those types of reviews don't help anyone.

But let's remember, the general population of Carnivalville in the United States of Cruise Critic (;)) are die-hard Carnival cheerleaders.:)

I would agree ny. The latest review on the Paradise where someone complained because they had to carry their luggage off of the ship....they chose self debark, but upset because Carnival didnt help them with the bags.

The review you are so out spoken about I also posted on.. I have 17 cruises with Carnival, several thousand posts on this board and I was on that same cruise. There were atleast 2 other posters on that cruise as well as the op. When a 1 post member does that and you have seasoned cruisers & posters to counter it.. it leads to a not credible post.. Most often the case with 1 post people. I'm sorry but not EVERYTHING IS BAD ON A CRUISE. The things they complained about were under their control.. Crew not helping them at debarkation.. Crew were line for a MANDATORY INS INSPECTION.. I'm sorry shuck that and lose your job..

As I posted I am not the ultimate Carnival cheerleader and will call them out when I have a problem.. But that review..Not believeable.

Why?????

I think a review should list both good and bad, it can focus on one more than the other but as long as it covers both, I consider it a good review.

BUT

If it has nothing but glowing admiration of the cruise and lists no cons, I feel the review is incomplete. Same goes for one with nothing but negativity. To me both types are incomplete and biased but appreciated nonetheless...

Use your passion to help rather then to hinder.

IMO, I tend to weed out all the "A+" reviews and the "F" reviews too, because I believe they are too slanted to warrant legitimacy. I don't write reviews, but read a great many of them, including ships/itineraries I probably won't ever sail.

With that said and despite what I said, I can honestly say that the cruise I took on the CB in 2008 was indeed an "A+" cruise. I had one snag before the cruise and one snag on an excursion. But when it came to the ship, service, food, entertainment, stateroom, etc - it was absolutely fabulous, nothing "bad" whatsoever. My other two cruises (one CCL and one RCCL) were great cruises too; however, there was some bad on each - not enough to say they were bad cruises, because they weren't and I fully enjoyed myself on them as much as the "perfect" cruise on PCL.

So, on an individual basis if I had an "A+" cruise in my mindset, it is quite possible that an individual could have a total "F" cruise as well in their mindset. In regards to human nature, I think that more people are apt to report the bad then the good, just like more people are apt to say when eating something "ewww this is gross, taste it" vs. "mmm this is delicious, have some." Likewise in regards to human nature, more people are apt to lash out when something they like is spoken bad about vs. giving thanks when something they like is raved about.

The review you are so out spoken about I also posted on.. .....snipped for brevity...

I didn't have any one particular review in mind but all the negative ones. I do thank for your your reply though.

I just dont see how its considered malicious intent when a person posts a bad review. Some folks just have no tact. Why fake a bad review? Do folks think other cruise lines send in trolls to create such posts?

Why fake a bad review? Do folks think other cruise lines send in trolls to create such posts?

Trolls are generally current members, generally very experienced users, who create another account, and post a "fake" review using it to stir up the CC pot. I don't think it's other cruise lines, It's generally regular Carnival forum people.

I guess they find it entertaining when everyone else freaks out and calls them a "troll"?:rolleyes:

I didn't have any one particular review in mind but all the negative ones. I do thank for your your reply though.

I just dont see how its considered malicious intent when a person posts a bad review. Some folks just have no tact. Why fake a bad review? Do folks think other cruise lines send in trolls to create such posts?

But people do come on here and post bogus reviews.. Thats just the way it is. In 9/10 years of posting on here, I've think I've seen it all and then something new comes along..

Trolls are generally current members, generally very experienced users, who create another account, and post a "fake" review using it to stir up the CC pot. I don't think it's other cruise lines, It's generally regular Carnival forum people.

I guess they find it entertaining when everyone else freaks out and calls them a "troll"?:rolleyes:

That does happen but it's rarely the case. Moderators can see the IP address of the individual in question and if it's a current member the account is deleted and, generally, the post in question.

:)

Gee, do you have proof to back this accusation? (note: I see Mach already addressed this and my thoughts seem to be right on)

If one really thinks about it, a newbie cruiser can take their first cruise only to be disappointed. At that point, they may decide to tell others about how horrible it was - quick internet search reveals a site called "cruise CRITIC". Wow, seems like the perfect place to warn others to me ... We have to remember that we, 'cruise critiquers', are in quite the minority of the cruising masses. Research can be done any number of ways for a cruise - not just through this site.

I truly feel for those folks who end up being verbally attacked for stating their opinion. No cruise line is perfect no matter how many cheer leaders say it is.

Is there any chance you could provide us with your factual proof of this?

I would find it fascinating to read.

That does happen but it's rarely the case. Moderators can see the IP address of the individual in question and if it's a current member the account is deleted and, generally, the post in question.

:)

If CC is monitoring the IP addresses and deleting / banning etc, can you please look into why my IP address at work is blocked on your end please?

I am aware that this is not the appropriate place to ask this but since I have since twice emailed regarding this problem and received no help, I figured what the heck.

This board and tripadvisor were recently cited because paid posters put up both all negative and all positive generic reviews - it happens, so maybe there's a reaction to that aspect.

Some of the paid posters can be recognized, but it's a losing battle

However, on this CCL board, it seems only the negatives get blasted, not the lollipop positive posts

I think many people will blast a negative review because they feel it threatens the upcoming cruise they have. It's like defending a purchase. Silly really.

As others have said, read with caution. Chose what to believe. It's not hard.

But quit the bashing. It's infantile.

While most reviews are fair and balanced, I feel that the extreamly negative reviews are written by someone with an ax to grind. For example if a passanger missed a port, had bad weather, got sick or was caught trying to smuggle booze it set the tone for the rest their trip. Suddenly nothing went right. From the quality of the food to service and entertainment. I would hope people new to cruising would take all reviews with a grain of salt.

What i dislike is people who post about there cruise and come out with the statement i didn't no that Carinval allowed this or that on there ships. A little research can go along way to enjoying your cruise:p Also in this day in age of the computer u can find out anything about any cruiseline u wish:rolleyes:

I appreciate everyone input and thank you all for the conversation.

I just think that some of the most passionate have the best chance of possible turning someone around. Its always worth a try, if anything it helps one keep upbeat instead of sour.

I have yet to sail Carnival. I will be in April though and I read all kinds of reviews about Carnival and its ships. Here and elsewhere. Lots of word of mouth as well.

Honestly much of it want good. So I take everything with a huge grain of salt and understand those who feel wronged will speak of it more than those who were content. I figured for every bad review there were a hundred happy folks out there.

I am glad I found this message board. Great people for the most part. Sure there are some sour grapes but even they are helpful. I learned much here already and am anxious for my first Carnival cruise. I cant wait to post my review. It will have pros and cons and will be as fair as I can make it.

Thank you everyone who post here, even the ones I might disagree with.

Can someone tell me WHY some people fully :rolleyes:review their cruises in the general CC forum area......as opposed to the Member Cruise Review ?

Doing so, when there is a negative review, makes certain members defend their personal love of the ship or the cruiseline ! No ?

I find the Review section interesting and informative. And not a wrestling match ! And as always taken with a grain of salt.

Archived