My Priceline bid for Ft Lauderdale hotel

Carol D.

I just attempted a priceline bid of 4 stars,Ft Lauderdale beach zone for 100.00 for my one night pre cruise stay on January 1, 2005, and got rejected! I was very surprised, since I have been reading people have been winning bids in the 80.00-90.00 range, and getting the Hyatt pier 66, which is what we are hoping for. Any ideas for the next step we should take? According to the Hyatt web site, for my date, the room rate is quoted as 229.00/night.

You can always try rebidding using zones that don't have 4 stars. Miramar and Pompano beach only have 2 and a half stars so when you bid a 3 or 4 star using them, you know you won't get them. But it allows you to get two more bids in. (raising your bid amount) Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and read a little more clearly how to do that) That said, I wouldn't do anything but wait. I wouldn't even start out that high next time. I just think they are not excepting many bids in January at this time. I've been bidding every 3 days since February for January and have never even gotten the "need to bid higher" line.

crabbs.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail on the Sun Princess

I think it's too early...from my experience, the lower bids are accepted closer to date of stay. I would hold off and start bidding about three months prior....$100 is too much for first bid. I would recommend starting at $80 for 4* DT. If you are uncomfortable with waiting that long, you could always book a cancellable back up.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

Serenade of the Seas ~ 7/10/05

I agree, its too early. I bid last July for my March cruise, kept getting rejected as well, finally got my bid accepted on September 30th. Don't get discouraged, keep trying.

Doone, since you got accepted about 6 mos prior for your March cruise, I guess I will hold off on bidding for a couple of weeks (our cruise is less than 7 mos. away, Jan 2, 05) what confuses me is that I read on another cruise board that someone won a priceline bid of 3 stars Hyatt regency in Miami, I believe for 44.00/night in April! 3 mos later than my cruise! Since I bid 100.00 4 stars Ft Lauderdale beach zone(hoping for Hyatt Pier 66) can I bid less than 100.00, or since I started at 100.00, I can only increase my bid? I thought I had this figured out, but now I am confused! I also just noticed another poster won Marriott Biscayne Bay on priceline for one month after my cruise. Is trying to get the Hyatt pier 66 really hard to win on priceline?

Two weeks ago, I went on Priceline to try it out for a pre cruise 2 night on Feb.5, 05. I wanted the Embassy Suites, DT, and did exactly as people have suggested here. Bid DT (FLL), 3*.

I put in my bid at 79.00. The bid was accepted and I actually got an upgrade to 4* at the Rennaissance. And this was on my first try. I was a little surprised, but am very satisfied with my results.

Thanks to all on this wonderful BB for help, encouragment and advice.

Grace

I'm feeling kind of discouraged with my priceline rejection! anyone having any luck winning Hyatt pier 66 in Ft Lauderdale? Since posters are winning priceline bids for dates beyond my cruise date, how much of an increase beyond 100.00 should I go for Ft Lauderdale 4 star beach zone?

[This message was edited by Carol D. on 06-06-04 at 10:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Carol D. on 06-06-04 at 10:50 AM.]

I don't think it's the amount you are bidding, it's the timing. As I and others have said, you probably don't even have to start that high. They release a set amount of rooms for certain dates. When a person gets one early (like I usually do) I think they just got lucky. They'll probably have more rooms available later on. When I checked recently, they weren't even available in January yet on sites like Expedia. Also, every time you bid it's a new bid. You could bid $100 one time and not get a room and 3 days later bid $50 and get one. It's all luck. I'd reserve a room that can be cancelled so that you can relax. Then keep bidding for one on Priceline.

crabbs.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Yesterday I decided to not listen to my own advice. I bid for a 3 star downtown hotel. I've been bidding $60, then $65 and then $70. Yesterday I started the bidding at $70 and was rejected. I didn't receive anything about a counter offer. Then I tried $75 and got the Mariott Marina. Who knows, if I had bid $5 more all along would I have gotten a room earlier? I guess you've got to work a little bit for that great deal icon_smile.gif

crabbs.gif

... and now that you know almost instantly if your bid is accepted or not it's not nearly as much work.

You used to have to wait 15 minutes for a reply which made the whole process take MUCH longer.

-thereuare

<font size="3">BetterBidding</font>

Just a thought - it's possible that the hotel has a minimum stay requirement for the weekend of Jan. 1 - it is a Saturday night, as well as New Year's Day. I used to work for a hotel, and some weekends/special events were blocked from discounts. I can see a hotel sales staff trying to force a 2 night minimum.

Just my two cents.

¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,¤ø,¸¸,

Enchantment of the Seas, December 6, 2004

Countdown to our cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

You need to be patient!!! So many people get the Pier 66 for $80...if it's available, chances are you would get it for that price. I would say definitely book a cancellable backup. Just wait, and don't bid so high.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

Serenade of the Seas ~ 7/10/05

• 5 weeks later...

Carol,

My wife and I are flying into Ft Lauderdale on X-mas day. I just got the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 for $139 on priceline. That's a high bid, but a fair price for the days X-mas thru New Years. You should be able to do better than that for your dates. Hang in there!

Kel

Kelmac, I just attempted my bid, like yours of 139.00 for Ft Lauderdale beach zone 4 stars for Jan. 1, 05 ,one week later than your date and got rejected! I feel like I'm never going to get Hyatt pier 66 without booking direct thru them.

I really believe it has more to do with the fact that you're bidding for New Year's Day. They are less likely to release cheap inventory early because it's a very busy time in the hotel business and they are likely to get a lot of reservations at higher prices the conventional way later on in the year. Book a cancellable back up and then try bidding on Priceline every few weeks or so. That way you won't drive yourself crazy.

Carol,

Maybe they do a big New Year's business?? Maybe try again in three days and bump up to $145?? Could be a timing issue or maybe they have filled more rooms during your dates?

Hang in there!

Kel

Carol D,

As a former FLL girl, the Hyatt is one of "the" places for New Years Eve. Every package from there I've ever seen was minimum 2 night stays. Believe that, not your offer, is the problem for your booking.

Just to share on the hotel bidding...

We bid Priceline $79 FLL DT 4* and were accepted on the first bid for one-night stay 11/19/04 - the Renaissance. I don't believe I have ever stayed in a Renaissance before, so I am excited to try this. Price going through the hotel's website was $189 per night.

We stayed at Embassy Suites last year the same weekend prior to Thanksgiving for 2-nights for $67 per night, but I think I had bid for that in late August. We spent time exploring the area, including walking to Hyatt to view the ships from that upper level observation area.

Archived