Belize

crusingluver2009

i know there are posts on here about Belize but i have some specific questions for those who LIKE belize as a port of call, and actually get off of the ship. Since this is our first cruise to the carribbean we want to get off at all the ports, plus i mean... we will get to say oh yeah weve been to belize.. LOL.. but i understand it is a tendered port , you leave the ship get on a smaller boat and then go to the dock. my question is once you arrive at the dock, how much is there to do? is there shopping and eating? or will there be locals HOUNDING us to go on an excursion with them or buy their goods. will there be actual shops or is it set up like an outdoors market. we are doing excursions in costa maya, roatan, and cozumel.. but nothing really interests us as far as excursions for belize. thanks in advance!

There is a pretty big shopping area - the vendors are minimal because there are fences around the port so there are only a limited few actually inside the gate...it's mostly souveniers and stuff but there is a Del Sol and there is an open air restaurant/bar that we've been to twice that sits out over the water - they've had live music both times we were there also - we enjoyed it and had many Belikin beers (the local beer) :D

If you like hot sauce, be sure to get some Marie Sharps sauce and try the cashew wine as well ...

We just got back a couple weeks ago. We did cave tubing and loved it but the area around the port was just ok. Outside the terminal is a flee market but I would be careful seems like the fences are up for a reason. It is a safe place according to our guide for cave tubing he raves abot the safety even though it looks scary. Major Tom's Cave Tubing was a blast and highly recomend it if you are interested in that type of thing. I will have pics up in my review from Belize in the next couple of days.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1380481

My wife and I hired a driver when we were last in Belize off the Glory, and took a tour of Altun Ha.

We had a fabulous time, and would definitely do the personal tour thing again, particularly if we could find the same driver. He was excellent.

Kevin C

Yes, you will be hounded by vendors wanting you to take their tours INSIDE the secure area.

If you want to enjoy this stop, take an excursion and get away from the pier area.

There are a couple places to eat ~ there is a Fat Tuesdays (I think) that juts out from the pier and The Wet Lizard, which is on the second story in the pier area.

Belize is like all the other ports, there will be locals who want you to buy stuff, go places, do things. That's how they make a living. Usually, a simple "no thank you" does the trick.

As for the Marie's, I'm planning on bringing that stuff back by the gallon, it's FABULOUS!

unfortunatly cave tubing is out of the question.. im afraid reading posts is what got me in this situation to begin with.. i wanted so badly to do the cave tubing until i had to go and look up whether snakes were an issue.. and i found OODLEs of posts on people on that excursion where their tour guides killed snakes in front of them and all this stuff... OUT OF THE QUESTION! if i see a snake i will flip out. yet i certainly dont condone killing them either. altun ha sounds interesting. i think we are doing the mayan ruins in cozumel though.. :/ seems like we are going to be sitting at the port rummaging through things for a good bargain. i dont like people to rush me or holler at me trying to get me to buy things, thats why i cannot stand nassau. but i wont let that damper my belize time! as far as being scary, my husband is a pretty buff and tough guy ;o) i feel very safe with him. i am excited and glad to know that there IS shopping!

i know there are posts on here about Belize but i have some specific questions for those who LIKE belize as a port of call, and actually get off of the ship. Since this is our first cruise to the carribbean we want to get off at all the ports, plus i mean... we will get to say oh yeah weve been to belize.. LOL.. but i understand it is a tendered port , you leave the ship get on a smaller boat and then go to the dock. my question is once you arrive at the dock, how much is there to do? is there shopping and eating? or will there be locals HOUNDING us to go on an excursion with them or buy their goods. will there be actual shops or is it set up like an outdoors market. we are doing excursions in costa maya, roatan, and cozumel.. but nothing really interests us as far as excursions for belize. thanks in advance!

We liked it..its not my favorite mind you but a great one to shop at (cashew wine is pretty good) and yes there is a mall as well as open air vendors in the back of the mall within the fence. We were a little nervous too the first time we went so we just used it as a free day to not rush for tender and just take our time and wander around the port. However we are going back for a 2ed time and felt a little more confident and booked an excursion thru coral breezes to Caye caulker..have a great time:)

While I agree, to see the country side or take advantage of the reefs for snorkeling, you need an excursion here. BUUUTTTT..., if you want to be able to say you've been to Belize City and don't want to take an excursion for a city tour, I have been outside the Tourism Village gates and walked around--and to detractors--NOT been mugged!--once to the Caye Caulker water taxi place in its old building another time just a walk around the city. Go right out of the TV gate and you can walk along a broad promade to the little lighthouse you see and beyond. There's a restuarant in one of the hotels, Smokey Mermaid, as I recall, with a nice courtyard, but it is a bit expensive. Go left out of the TV and you'll dodge the local vendors for a block or so, but a few nos or no thanks and you're past them. There's an internet cafe, the new watertaxi building, and afterabout 3 or 4 blocks you come to the swing bridge, which is a unique bridge structure. You can cross the bridge and walk down the street in the business district of the city all the way down to St John's Church and the Cultural Center, which is the large building with the boat and cannons that you can see from the tender. It contains a lot of artifacts from the colonial period as it was the Governor's Mansion. There some stands with fruit and meats and small dishes..I didn't eat at any of them. There used to be a BBQ place but it's torn down now. Also the department/general store for Belize City, Brodies, is interesting to wander through. You can buy Marie Sharps sauce there, and it might be cheaper than in the TV and more selections. You can do this easily in a couple of hours or so depending on how long you linger anywhere. However, I do suggest you come back into the TV and visit the Wet Lizard for conch fritters, meat pies, and cold Belikins.

i am VERY GLAD to hear that they have conch fritters. we have never tried them and really would like to! my DH is like that man off of the bizarre foods shows.. haha he will try ANYTHING! me not so much, but i want to try these!! and if theres beer and shopping then were happy :o)

i am VERY GLAD to hear that they have conch fritters. we have never tried them and really would like to! my DH is like that man off of the bizarre foods shows.. haha he will try ANYTHING! me not so much, but i want to try these!! and if theres beer and shopping then were happy :o)

Actually conch fritters are pretty lame in Andy Zimmeran terms. I fyour DH is really looking for the Zimmeran experience, the little stand to the left past the swing bridge and the small loncheria to the right will have more unique Belizean offerings. But do try the fritters, and the meat pies, and the beer and enjoy your Belizean experience. :)

We've spent time on Belize city on land trips, it's a real cool city if you have a local showing you around. Tackle it my yourself, it can be daunting. We've been to Belize twice on ships, both times we have never touched the mainland. We have taken excursions to the Cays. Goffs and Ambergris. Ambergris is awesome and I highly recomend it. The snorkeling is VERY good.

Belize was very nice. I took the barrier reef snorkel. A tender took me to the pier where there were many shops and yes there was one or two tour operators. There are pharmacies and eating places at the pier. The snorkel boat takes to the reef and a private island. after the snorkel, free rum punch.

If you buy something there, open the package to be sure what you purchased is in there. I bought what I thought was a dress wrapped and when I got home, opened it and found a colorful piece of cloth inside inside, not a dress. Live and learn. Other than that it was a nice place.

DSCF2381.jpg

Tender Ride to Pier

DSCF2389.jpg

DSCF2390.jpg

DSCF2388.jpg

DSCF2398.jpg

Private Island (where I bought the piece of cloth)

DSCF2415.jpg

Party Snorkel Boat

Belize was very nice. I took the barrier reef snorkel. A tender took me to the pier where there were many shops and yes there was one or two tour operators. There are pharmacies and eating places at the pier. The snorkel boat takes to the reef and a private island. after the snorkel, free rum punch.

If you buy something there, open the package to be sure what you purchased is in there. I bought what I thought was a dress wrapped and when I got home, opened it and found a colorful piece of cloth inside inside, not a dress. Live and learn. Other than that it was a nice place.

DSCF2381.jpg

Tender Ride to Pier

DSCF2389.jpg

DSCF2390.jpg

DSCF2388.jpg

DSCF2398.jpg

Private Island (where I bought the piece of cloth)

DSCF2415.jpg

Party Snorkel Boat

At the private island was there a bar and food...beach chairs..looks gorgeous.

belize is a great adventure port...has 3 mayan ruins to tour. there's another thread about ranking the mayan sites.

we did lamanai, an hour on a bus to the river and an hour boat ride. saw critters and the country side. at the site, it was great...like stepping into an indiana jones movie. the ruins don't look ruin, howler monkeys in the trees, in a jungle..no sounds of the modern world.

one of the best tours i have ever been on.

Seriously, Belize is not as bad as some make it out to be. We just got back from the Valor this past Monday. We really enjoyed Belize.

The tender takes about 30 minutes or so, but it's really not bad either. Just sit back and take it all in...you'll be in another country!

I'm not sure how well traveled you are...that can make a difference in one's perception. Belize is not the US, it feels different, but that's what makes traveling so much fun. Enjoy it for what it is.

The shopping area is not as nice as Carnival's proprietary shopping centers in Roatan and Cozumel, but will be similar to what other cruisers experience with non-Carnival family cruise lines at those two ports.

There is no beach in Belize City, so the feel isn't beachy. Maybe try to find a short, cheap excursion so you can really see how pretty Belize is. Then, spend the rest of the time wandering around the shopping area.

Keep an open mind...you'll be fine. It's really not scary, in my opinion. I am much, much, much more afraid of some of the downtown areas of America's large cities.

In general, I found the Belize people friendly.

Enjoy your cruise! Do try to find a little excursion to see the best of Belize. I think you'll end up with a better experience.

-pitterpattershoppe

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I hired a driver when we were last in Belize off the Glory, and took a tour of Altun Ha.

We had a fabulous time, and would definitely do the personal tour thing again, particularly if we could find the same driver. He was excellent.

Kevin C

Hi Kevin,

Do you have contact info for the driver you used?

Thanks!

We're staying a week there in Oct11.:)

Why does the fact that it's fenced in freak people out so badly?

When I depart in Tampa, the port area is fully enclosed (i.e. "fenced in"); I have to go through security when I get onboard, and I have to clear customs & go through security when I get home & attempt to leave. Same thing in Port Canaveral, Miami, Lauderdale....

On every cruise stop I've ever been to, the port area is enclosed/fenced in. You get off the ship & go through some type of blocked in area. It's like that in Key West, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, and all of the St Somewhere's that I've gone to. Only real difference is that the more expensive places to visit have replaced their chain-link fences with buildings housing Diamonds International, Fat Tuesdays, Margaritaville, Hard Rock, and duty free shops where they'll sell you booze for twice what you can get it for if you stroll a few blocks away from the tourist centers (but hey, it's tax-free!!!).

/rant

• 2 weeks later...

Archived