Help with hotel or B&B in Civitavecchia Italy

lovingcruising

I am going on a cruise out of Civitavecchia and would like help in finding a good hotel or Bed & Breakfast reasonable near the train station. Do you think I can take a train for FCO airport to Civitavecchia. The limo is so expensive. Thanks for your help

Yes, you can take the train from FCO to Termini. And do I have a place for you! We stayed at the Roman Residence, which is an easy walk from the train station (we took a hired car, though). It's a charming little B&B on the fourth floor (US) of a building that is nothing but B&B's & hostels. As I recall we paid about 130 Euros/night in 2009. Here's what I wrote about it in my diary:

We arrived at the Roman Residence at about 10:30. Our driver hit Via Cavour at the wrong spot and had to circle the block in very heavy traffic to get to the correct location. Our room was not yet ready, so Massimo gave us a breakfast voucher and we went down the street to the Orologio (Clock) Bar, where they stuffed us with croissants, pizza, cappuccino and freshly squeezed orange juice. We returned to the Roman Residence a little after 11:00, found our room bed and our bed waiting for us with open arms. We took about a four hour nap and woke up feeling almost normal.

The Roman Residence is a terrific little B&B. It’s in a building with 5 other tiny hotels (4-10 rooms each), which Massimo (the owner) told us is quite common in Rome. It’s on the 3rd floor (U.S. 4th floor), which gave us a workout. We did use the elevator to haul our luggage (a tiny elevator that gave us another reason to take only carryon luggage) but otherwise were fine with the stairs.

Massimo and Stefano, who helps him out on weekends, are very friendly men who made our stay at the hotel very pleasant. We mostly saw Massimo, who recommended a couple of restaurants (the Gallina Bianca is right around the corner with hit or miss meals but good house wine, like every other restaurant we tried).

The neighborhood is funky – lots of young people (our 3 Cruise Critic couples probably raised the average age in the building by a good 30 years), bars, restaurants and shops. It’s near the Termini rail station, so very conveniently located. We were out as late as midnight and felt perfectly safe, taking the usual urban precautions.

I can't help you with a B&B, but we did take the train from the airport to the port. You will have to change trains at the main Terminal. I do remember at one point having to carry my luggage up a flight of stairs. I don't remember if we just did this to save time, or if that was our only option. We are in a mid to late 40's and managed it very easily. My only caution is watch out for the Gypsies offering to help you find the right train. You think they are just being helpful, but they will demand 5 Euro. Just practice saying "No".

I think the OP was looking for a B&B in Civitavecchia, unless I'm reading the post incorrectly.

Also, you do not need to change trains in Termini if taking the train from the airport to Civitavecchia, in fact, doing so adds considerable time to the trip. The quickest (and least expensive) routing is from the airport to Roma Trastevere, and from there to Civitavecchia. If you want to take an IC train to Civitaveccia rather than the regional, you would go from the airport to Roma Ostiense and change there.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am looking for a hotel in Civitavecchia. I am arriving at 11:30 into Rome on 4/22 I feel it's to late by the time I settle in a hotel to do any touring in Rome. So I would like to go to the port and find a nice hotel or B&B. Appreciate any help you can give me.

Also do you pick up the train right at FCO airport or do I need to take a taxi to the train.

Thanks for everyone's help. Mary Ann

I was originally going to stay at a B&B in Civitavecchia but then we decided to stay 3 days pre-cruise in Rome.

Check out this little gem

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194743-d590322-Reviews-Casamica_Bed_Breakfast-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

and their own site too

http://nuke.casamicacv.it/Home/tabid/63/Default.aspx

We are also sailing out of Civitavecchia, in August, and staying at the Hotel Miramare.

http://www.hotelmiramarecivitavecchia.it/eng/eng_home.php

They seem to have good reviews. They advertise a shuttle service to the train station, which is just down the street from them. They also have a shuttle arrangement to transport to/from FCO but that is 120Euros. We have considered renting a car at FCO and turning it in at Civitavecchia--Hertz has a location not far from the cruise pier. It is about a 40 min, not difficult appearing drive, from the airport.

We have taken the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, not to the airport as you need. It is easy to take the train though, you would have to change once and there are steps from the station to the platforms to negotiate with your "cruise" luggage! The train is cheap and takes about an hour. Go to Slow Travel Italy-they have great info with actual pictures to show you what you are looking for regarding trains from Rome, etc.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/planning/rome_airport.htm

• 4 weeks later...

We took the train from the airport and stayed at the Hotel Mediterraneo Suisse (It sometimes is listed simply as Mediterraneo) which was about 2 blocks from train station (come out of the station, look at the water, and head to the right) -- about half the way to the Port of Civitavecchia. We paid 85 euros for the night (including breakfast). The room was clean, the bed was fine, but it was nothing fancy. I knew we just needed a bed for the night because we would be exhausted from our flight. We booked it on venere.com.

We took the train from the airport and stayed at the Hotel Mediterraneo Suisse (It sometimes is listed simply as Mediterraneo) which was about 2 blocks from train station (come out of the station, look at the water, and head to the right) -- about half the way to the Port of Civitavecchia. We paid 85 euros for the night (including breakfast). The room was clean, the bed was fine, but it was nothing fancy. I knew we just needed a bed for the night because we would be exhausted from our flight. We booked it on venere.com.

Here's the hotel web site for more information: http://www.roseshotels.it/dettaglio_pagina.php?l=2&m=30_37

• 1 month later...

We recently stayed at b&b Casamica in Civitavecchia. The owner Germano took us to the port the following morning and wouldn't accept payment. We took a limo direct from FCO but I believe he'll pick you up from the train station if you call him (it's not far but the pavements are bumpy) See pics and reviews on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194743-d590322-Reviews-Casamica_Bed_Breakfast-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

Archived