Planning Shore Excursions once on the ship

bgutsy

My husband and I are first time cruisers, with an Oceania trip Athens to Rome (April 13-23, 2011) scheduled. We have booked two private tours, one in Ephesus and one in Amalfi. Can someone tell us how easy/hard it is to find other travelers to pair up with on private excursions once we arrive on the ship? We are trying to decide if we should book all private excursions or wait and (hopefully) find other travelers who are looking to share the costs. We are not interested in taking the Oceania shore excursions, as we would like a more custom experience. Many thanks.

I have always thought it should be easy to find people on board for planning private tours but our experience has been that it really is not possible. At least we've never found anybody at that stage.

Your best bet is going to the roll call for this sail date and ask there. Ahead of time! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1328796

(Not much activity there but some people have been looking for tour companions.)

Since you are sailing so soon, it may be too late to find people who are still available at the roll call. So in that case I would suggest that you talk up private tours to anybody you can once you're on board.

Mura

Most people have private tours booked well in advance

You may be able to meet a few people willing to wing it once you arrive but do not count on it

I would join the Roll Call and see if anyone has tours already set up & willing to share or get one set up

It is a little late in the game to find good guides

your roll call is at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1328796

enjoy

Lyn

I also agree that the Roll Call is the best place to connect with fellow passengers.

We have had the experience of booking a private tour for four people (met on the Roll Call)and finding an additional couple on board. We were willing to split the cost four ways, but finding two more people made it even more economical.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived