pros and cons of sailing to caribbean in summer

I was on the explorer for 9 days last june. it sailed to bemuda, st.thomas, st.maarten, puerto rico. The one thing i really liked was there were no other ships docked with us so the islands and beaches were not crowded. only place where there was another ship was st.thomas and san juan the carnival victory. The only reason i like seeing other ships in port is because i like to see what they look like up close and i live the horn sail away.

The only reason we decided to not cruise in the summer is that we have good weather at home. We would rather cruise when the weather is cold at home. Also the Caribbean is alot more humid in the summer and there are more kids onboard. We have seen more cruise ships in port in the summer than the fall or winter anyway.

I was on the explorer for 9 days last june. it sailed to bemuda, st.thomas, st.maarten, puerto rico. The one thing i really liked was there were no other ships docked with us so the islands and beaches were not crowded. only place where there was another ship was st.thomas and san juan the carnival victory. The only reason i like seeing other ships in port is because i like to see what they look like up close and i live the horn sail away.

Biggest con IMHO is to many kids , no offense , but most are out of school and thats when families sail and the heat would be a big one as well , we always sail late Oct. always have great weather.

We sail in winter to get a much needed break from Michigan weather. By March/April we are really feeling cabin fever and are ready for some sun. :cool:

The threat of hurricanes would keep me from cruising the Caribbean in the summer. Not sure I want "Mother Nature" to have that great a chance ruining my vacation.

Pros - we are on a cruise!!!

Cons - The weather IS hot

Run the risk of hurricanes

We usually cruise in the summer solely because of the kid's school schedules. We TRIED a few years ago having them miss a few days before Thanksgiving and it truly wasn't worth it, especially since the kids are all in HS.

In a few years they will ALL be in college and DH & I can cruise whenever we want!!!

The only Pro I can think of is you'll be on a cruise which is always great.

Cons:

Price is higher in the summer

More kids on summer cruises as they are out of school

Weather issues...either extremely hot temps or hurricanes are both a possibility

The one and ONLY time I caved in and cruised during hurricane season - and to the Mexican Riviera which doesn't get many hurricanes - of course we had a hurricane. And it was SO incredibly hot/humid. Still had fun but much prefer cruising in the Spring.

As others have stated:

Pros- you are on vacation on a cruise ship

Cons- It's hot, there are alot of kids, it costs more, and there is always the chance to encounter a hurricane that can cause itinerary changes.

Enjoy! :D

Archived