Garment Bags

hallk33

I need advice on how to pick a garment bag. Don't really know what to look for but we leave in about 20 days! I would prefer to keep the price under $100 and want something that will fit my husband's suits and my dresses in the same bag. I have been looking at a few bags but it is hard to tell how much they hold.

Would want this bag to work as a carry-on, does that work with the non folding types? Are there disadvantages to the folding type?

What do you use? Any suggestions?

Have you ever tried to pick up a garment bag UNFOLDED with many clothes in it? It's HEAVY....really, heavy and awkward. And, unless it's fairly unyielding, the baggage handlers do NOT treat garment bags (or any luggage) with kid gloves....

Get something that folds, and isn't made of just fabric!!!

I want the bag to be a carry on so baggage handlers would probably never touch it. Even so I still want it to be very rugged. Do you have a recommended material type?

I have only used the thinner, long garments bags that don't fold for like car transport. I would prefer a folding one but I'm wondering if there are any downsides to that kind.

You can find folding garment bags that can be carried on, usually a tri-fold. I don't know that you can find a rugged one for under $100, the ones we carry under that price are garment covers and made of a ripstop nylon, not a ballistic material. Garment bags that only fold in half that can hold much are pretty much the size of a medium suitcase, kind of defeats the purpose.

Here are some tri-folds offered on ebags: http://www.ebags.com/search/tri-fold-garment-bags?lastterm=tri-fold+garment+bags (we do carry a few of them in the store where I work). The one I would purchase and have considered numerous times is the Tumi Presidio Kobbe, I like the Tumi Alpha as well, but the price is extreme even with my discount. I see they have a Samsonite bag at around the same price as the Tumi Presidio, value wise the Tumi is by far more well constructed.

It also depends on whether you want the piece for a one time use or to keep for years. For a one time use, you want to select a garment cover, it won't hold as much but will be a lot lower in price (example the Wally Bag). The disadvantage (to me) is that with a garment cover the hangers protrude from the top of the case.

There are also rolling carry on garment bags in several brands. Tumi, Briggs and Riley both have nice choices, but now we're getting into big bucks :o. http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Tumi+T%2DTech+Data+Kahn+Wheeled+Carry%2DOn+Garment&pf_id=PAOHIDMHNPHNEFIC&dept_id=11287 or http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Briggs+%26+Riley+Baseline+Carry%2DOn+Wheeled+Garment+Bag&pf_id=PAOHIDMAFJLNCIDN&dept_id=3050

Here is a link that has an illustration for how to pack a man's suit in a regular suitcase so that it doesn't wrinkle: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Travel/easy_packing_tips_for_trips.htm

We have a TravelPro folding garment bag, but it is so heavy and awkward that we rarely use it. In my experience the clothes come out of it more wrinkled than if I pack in a regular suitcase using dry cleaner bags.

Here is a link that has an illustration for how to pack a man's suit in a regular suitcase so that it doesn't wrinkle: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Travel/easy_packing_tips_for_trips.htm

We have a TravelPro folding garment bag, but it is so heavy and awkward that we rarely use it. In my experience the clothes come out of it more wrinkled than if I pack in a regular suitcase using dry cleaner bags.

On a recent cruise, I misread the luggage scale and took out the trifold garment cover from my large suitcase and just folded the formal night clothes (in dry cleaner bags) in the top of the case. They came out very well. I would follow the poster's suggestion.

I want the bag to be a carry on so baggage handlers would probably never touch it. Even so I still want it to be very rugged. Do you have a recommended material type?

I have only used the thinner, long garments bags that don't fold for like car transport. I would prefer a folding one but I'm wondering if there are any downsides to that kind.

I'm assuming you mean baggage handlers at the port but what about airport handlers?

I took a garment bag ONCE. I have been able to pack my dresses and formal wear in a regular suitcase with the help of drycleaner bags and everything came out perfect. Same for DH's suit or sportscoats. I really didn't see any advantage to the garment bag.

Archived