First Time! Help me plan!!

yayvacation!

Hey everyone!! This is DH's and my first trip to Alaska and we are so excited!! I've been looking at tours for a little while but there is so much out there and I want to make sure I hit all the highlights! Some things I definitely want to do are a helicopter tour to the glaciers (I think from Juneau) and I want at least one good hike - bear sightings, eagles, etc.

Our stops are:

Ketchican

Juneau

Skagway

Please recommend your favorite tours and don't miss sights!

You might try reading the roll calls from other trips that are hitting your same ports or read reviews from previous cruises.

Thanks, yes I have done that but I've found 8 million things that look amazing and I'm looking for more personal contact with reviewers. Reading a review doesn't always give me the same info as speaking with the reviewer.

The best thing we did last September was rent a car from Avis in Skagway. We drove to Emerald Lake in the Yukon. We had a brief lunch at a lodge/motel in the Yukon. Beautiful scenery and a relaxing drive. Many beautiful pictures at stops along the way. I am so glad we did this rather than take a train or bus tour. You must reserve car ahead of time. The whole drive took about 6 hours.

Hey everyone!! This is DH's and my first trip to Alaska and we are so excited!! I've been looking at tours for a little while but there is so much out there and I want to make sure I hit all the highlights! Some things I definitely want to do are a helicopter tour to the glaciers (I think from Juneau) and I want at least one good hike - bear sightings, eagles, etc.

Our stops are:

Ketchican

Juneau

Skagway

Please recommend your favorite tours and don't miss sights!

You are going in August?? With your bear priority, the only recommendation I have is Traitor's Cove, Neets Bay or Pack Creek with a fly in. You are not likely to go on a "good hike" and see bears, with any predictability without a tour. There is excellent hiking all over Alaska for free. :)

Glacier helicopter landing are available out of Skagway and Juneau, pick where it best fits your time. Have back up plans, knowing what else is available of interest, in the case of cancelations.

Archived